Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reinstate Foxing Hunting or keep the ban?

Comments

• Options
    She's been watching US politics she has.

• Options
    If this series of Game of Groans doesn't end with Lynton Crosby being executed by a band of militant nurses then I want my money back
  • Options
    iainment said:

Bastards the lot of them. And this just confirms it. Bloodthirsty slimebags.

Evil Tories, or murderous foxes?
    Please clarify.
  • Options
    Where do all you lentil munchers stand on "stoat tickling"?
  • Options
    It's always shocking how many people that live in London care about the killing of vermin.

If it was a ban on killing rats, I imagine opinions would be very different.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

It's always shocking how many people that live in London care about the killing of vermin.

If it was a ban on killing rats, I imagine opinions would be very different.

I think it's more about the way it's done mate. If there needs to be some kind of cull then a more humane way is fine but chasing it all over the country to be killed by a pack of dogs is a bit barbaric no?

It is, I agree, however I'm not sure we need to make such a huge deal out of this, our country has other, imo, bigger issues we could be focusing our energies on.
  • Options
    My only issue with foxes is living opposite a park we get loads of them, dog goes fucking mad with there noises so makes for lots of sleepless nights, also out the garden the other evening about 9ish dog is punking around and a fox came flying across the garden and went for him, forunately it didn't get him, but cue an hour of me trying to calm him down, there definitely seems more of them, I do think they should be controlled, but the hunting isn't the way to do it, only downside to the hunting bans is the communities that relied on the hunts for trade and employment also a lot of dogs are surplus to requirements.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I don't really have an opinion either way with this.... I suppose I have never really taken the time to think about it.

If we do go down the cruelty to animals route though...

Ban on fishing? Probably statistically one of the most popular pastimes amongst a broader swathe of the U.K. demographic.

Be interesting whether the biggest gripe is in fact cruelty to animals or just that people don't like posh folk wearing different clothes to them and speaking in funny voices. I'm sure there is a bit of both in this argument.
  • Options

My only issue with foxes is living opposite a park we get loads of them, dog goes fucking mad with there noises so makes for lots of sleepless nights, also out the garden the other evening about 9ish dog is punking around and a fox came flying across the garden and went for him, forunately it didn't get him, but cue an hour of me trying to calm him down, there definitely seems more of them, I do think they should be controlled, but the hunting isn't the way to do it, only downside to the hunting bans is the communities that relied on the hunts for trade and employment also a lot of dogs are surplus to requirements.

Was/is fox hunting a big contributor to the local economies of some parts of the country ? Serious question, I genuinely never realised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Where do all you lentil munchers stand on "stoat tickling"?

I'm pro, but only in the privacy of my own home.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Was/is fox hunting a big contributor to the local economies of some parts of the country ? Serious question, I genuinely never realised.
    yeah you have village pubs that miss out on around 100 crowd every time a hunt is on, the kennels which the dogs are kept no longer have a reason to keep hounds, local stables and local villagers help out with hunts, i agree its barbaric and there needs to be a better way of dealing with the fox issue, as they are vermin, and do spread diseases.
  • Options

That it is so important to the PM is very worrying, as has been said, we have bigger problems. She couldn't be deflecting could she!?

Perhaps she's building up to sending the working class to war to re-invigorate the labour market. Worked for her forefathers :wink:
  • Options
    I always don my hunting gear when I lay the rat trap - tally ho.

For fox sake ban hunting!
  • Options
    Keep the ban!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Conservatives on Fox hunting...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope not.
  • Options
    It's a distraction tactic straight out of the Lynton Crosby playbook. Why do lefties walk straight into the trap every time?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If there was one thing that could change a floating voters opinion, this may be it. 84% in a poll said they're against re-instating the hunt. May has just shown she doesn't give a fuck what the majority think.

One idiot on LBC this morning 'I am against all blood sports' so you support the ban? 'No, re-instate the hunt'.... F*** off.

It is an archaic blood sport and should be banned as such.

Dog fighting, cockerel fighting and others have been banned due to the cruelty of the 'sports'. Think of the pain caused by the dogs tearing apart the fox, truly barbaric to support...

• Options
    IA said:

It's a distraction tactic straight out of the Lynton Crosby playbook. Why do lefties walk straight into the trap every time?

Surely that requires explanation of what they are distracting from?

In a very vaguely related note...
    http://idontgetpolitics.co.uk This page could be very wrong, but has been helping me understand politics in a better way.
  • Options

iainment said:

Bastards the lot of them. And this just confirms it. Bloodthirsty slimebags.

Evil Tories, or murderous foxes?
    Please clarify.
    Tories. I'm with Bevan on them.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

se9addick said:

yeah you have village pubs that miss out on around 100 crowd every time a hunt is on, the kennels which the dogs are kept no longer have a reason to keep hounds, local stables and local villagers help out with hunts, i agree its barbaric and there needs to be a better way of dealing with the fox issue, as they are vermin, and do spread diseases.
    It has been proven that drag hunts have been able to minimalise these issues.

A few facts about urban foxes:

Appearance: Foxy.

What's the difference between an urban fox and a regular fox? It is largely a question of postcode. Many foxes move between town and country, and most urban foxes are, in fact, suburban. Generally speaking, a fox is a fox.

Are urban foxes marauding giants that feed on takeaway curries, cats and babies. That image is more urban myth than urban fox.

What about the one that attacked a baby in south-east London! Such incidents are extremely rare, according to the RSPCA. Foxes only attack out of fear, and tend to shy away from humans and larger animals.

Do they get huge from eating KFC out of bins? Are some the size of german shepherds? Urban foxes aren't bigger than rural foxes, and they mostly don't eat out of bins. The main reason they go near houses is because people feed them.

Is that why the population is exploding? There isn't any hard evidence for that – the last estimate, from the 1980s, put the total urban population at 33,000. The consensus among experts is that there has been no significant increase since, largely because populations are still recovering from a mange epidemic. Numbers may, of course, fluctuate locally.

Boris Johnson, described them as a "menace", do they do any good? They do eat a lot of rats. Who knows what London's rodent problem would be like without 10,000 urban foxes patrolling the streets.

Should they be culled? Culls don't work. New foxes move straight into unoccupied territory, and they also breed too rapidly to make extermination effective. Fox populations are, in fact, remarkably self-regulating.

Can we just trap them and move them to the country? The country doesn't really want them, and, anyway, they tend to come back.

We must strive to understand this noble creature.

I can't see that the group - Conservatives Against Fox Hunting will be too pleased with this decision either.
  • Options
    Regarding the diseases, this is from Web MD

Do foxes routinely attack humans?

No, foxes are usually wary of people and run away to avoid adults and children. They can learn to trust people who are not causing them harm and may appear quite bold - but this is unlikely to be a sign of aggression.

Do foxes carry disease?

Yes, although in the UK there is little or no danger of contracting disease from foxes. Although they can carry the same diseases as domestic dogs it is rare for a fox to transmit disease to humans.

What diseases do foxes have?

Foxes have a variety of fleas and ticks and carry some diseases, including:

Toxocariasis

The the most common disease they can transmit is toxocariasis from the roundworm (Toxocara canis). The worms produce eggs which are then released in the faeces of infected animals and contaminate soil.

You are more likely to catch toxocariasis from cat or dog faeces than fox. In extreme cases it can lead to blindness which is why in recent years dog owners have been encouraged to use poop-a-scoops. It has been reported in people of all ages but it usually affects children aged between one and four who are most at risk because their play habits make them more likely to come into contact with contaminated soil.

It's therefore important to make sure fox faeces is removed as soon as possible and that children wash their hands after playing outdoors and before they eat.

Treatment for toxocariasis involves taking medication to kill the parasites and occasionally laser treatment to kill larvae in the eye. Most people will quickly make a full recovery and won't experience any long-term complications.

Mange

It is possible to get mange from foxes but the risk is very low, as direct contact is the most likely source of infection.
    The fox strain of mange (Sarcoptes scabiei var. canis) can be transmitted to humans but cannot persist, so people infected develop a rash that naturally resolves in a few weeks. The chances of infection increase with the degree of contact so it is not advisable to handle mangy foxes without protection.

Fox bites

A fox bite is painful but offers less potential for infection than a domestic cat bite or scratch. Unless you are a wildlife rescuer fox bites are rare. However, it is always wise to seek antibiotic treatment for any animal bite, plus vaccination against tetanus.

How can we protect ourselves from foxes?
  • Options
    The Volkswagen Fox also needs to be hunted to extinction protected.
  • Options
    While we all discuss this the day to day issues don't go away. Like funding and running the country. If any government could do this effectively without borrowing huge sums of money I'd gladly sacrifice a few foxes for their twisted minds amusement.
    There is about zero chance of reinstating fox hunting as it was before the ban. If and its a big if, they made it legal again why not make legal the old working class "sport" of dog fights or reopen a few cock pits?