Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reinstate Foxing Hunting or keep the ban?

Comments

• Options
    Keep the ban on hunting with dogs - barbaric. However the fox population needs to be controlled - so some form of 'humane' control might be necessary.
  • Options

markmc68 said:

I'm a townie and wouldn't tell the country folk what they should and shouldn't be doing.

I was brought up in the countryside, and I never recall anyone going hunting or supporting it. Anyway, country folk are telling townies what to do all the time, by voting conservative... :wink:

I've spent the majority of my life living in a rural, Yorkshire market town and I too don't know anyone who is involved in or supports hunting. It's a fallacy to say it's a townie vs country folk issue.
  • Options
    Disappointed the SNP are saying they will vote. I think Labour should abstain on the grounds of disgust that they are even thinking about lifting the ban. Then I would like it to be one of the major issues of the next General Election with thousands of new graphic images/video footage showing the posh people/Tories indulging in their favourite disgusting activity.
  • Options
    They should put free fox friendly condom machines in the woods.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tbf there is a group of Conservative MPs who are opposed to a repeal of the Act. The Blue Fox group have been campaigning against a return to hunting with hounds and I salute them. This issue isn't about party politics.
  • Options
    What I do not understand why the SNP want to vote against the proposed changes in the law on foxhunting in England and Wales, as the changes would bring them in line with Scottish Law. Why not change the law in Scotland first.

Farmers would be able to use a full pack of hounds to flush out foxes — but not kill them — under a plan to be put to a vote on Wednesday. The rule is already in place in Scotland, but only two dogs can currently be used in England and Wales. The fox is then shot.

• Options
    First chance they get, the SNP stick their oar in to English only matters. Why am I not surprised?!
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

What I do not understand why the SNP want to vote against the proposed changes in the law on foxhunting in England and Wales, as the changes would bring them in line with Scottish Law. Why not change the law in Scotland first.

Farmers would be able to use a full pack of hounds to flush out foxes — but not kill them — under a plan to be put to a vote on Wednesday. The rule is already in place in Scotland, but only two dogs can currently be used in England and Wales. The fox is then shot.

That's what I was thinking. I feel this vote is not so much about allowing hunting (which it's not; it's about lifting some restrictions in England and Wales to bring the law into line with Scotland), but about showing up the SNP as they will be voting against the government on an English matter

The SNP claim to be totally against hunting - why don't they make THEIR law as restrictive as the English law first? Or is it an automatic reaction to vote against the government regardless of the issue; not a very difficult form of opposition, just always say no.
  • Options

You would have thought our MP's would have more pressing matters to discuss.

There has to be some bad news being buried here. It could be the Greek debt stuff, but there has to be something happening underneath this distraction.

Unless it is really about the SNP's hypocrisy, which, while fair, is hardly that important now, and would surely help Labour, not the Tories (unless they're angling for a breakup). This batch of Tories seem quite childish in these games so maybe it is that.
  • Options
    Vote is posponed
  • Options
    The Government has withdrawn tomorrow's vote to amend the fox hunting bill.

They're waiting for the 'English votes for English laws' act to pass in order to freeze the SNP out of voting against the changes.
  • Options
    I think we should reinstate fox hunting, provided that we level the playing field. The foxes should also given a pack of dogs to pursue and rip apart toffs going about their daily business.
  • Options
    Not often I say this but we'll done The SNP.
  • Options
    Think the biggest danger to foxes in towns is cars! Ban them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

markmc68 said:

I'm a townie and wouldn't tell the country folk what they should and shouldn't be doing.

A lot of those country folk you think are Fox Hunting actually live and work in London.
    Probably the case around London. Have moved to Devon and certainly not the case, they are farmers.
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

markmc68 said:

A lot of those country folk you think are Fox Hunting actually live and work in London.
    Probably the case around London. Have moved to Devon and certainly not the case, they are farmers.
    Yes I should have stated home counties .
  • Options

Red7Oak said:

markmc68 said:

Down my track in a fairly typical Shropshire village we have

Farmer
    Online music seller
    Lead Mine Restorer
    Community Artist
    Mechanic
    Bus Driver
    Butcher

So just a large a mix of workers as in a town and none involved or interested in a local hunt it really is not part of rural life to any large extent
  • Options
    Missed It said:

First chance they get, the SNP stick their oar in to English only matters. Why am I not surprised?!

Gingers have to stick up for each other
  • Options

Well there is one particular bastard of a fox that howls at 3 o'clock in the morning up and down my street. Frecking nuisance, especially as it seems to be getting more nooky than me...

Same here Soapy.

These two reprobates had caused many sleepless nights and had messed all over the shop. Then as if to taunt me they started to make out in in my garden, I stormed out to put a stop to it - but they simply posed for another photo before they ambled off - cocky sods .
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Red7Oak said:

markmc68 said:

Down my track in a fairly typical Shropshire village we have

Farmer
    Online music seller
    Lead Mine Restorer
    Community Artist
    Mechanic
    Bus Driver
    Butcher

So just a large a mix of workers as in a town and none involved or interested in a local hunt it really is not part of rural life to any large extent
    Bit elitist that lot if you ask me.

Prince Charles
    Richard Branson
    The CEO of RTZ
    Banksy
    Ross Brawn
    Cliff Richard
    Bernard Matthews

• Options

Well there is one particular bastard of a fox that howls at 3 o'clock in the morning up and down my street. Frecking nuisance, especially as it seems to be getting more nooky than me...

Same here Soapy.

These two reprobates had caused many sleepless nights and had messed all over the shop. Then as if to taunt me they started to make out in in my garden, I stormed out to put a stop to it - but they simply posed for another photo before they ambled off - cocky sods .
    Awwww they're lovely
  • Options
    They, (the foxes) were here first! Let them be.
  • Options
    As a townie, I'm happy if they have hunting back, as long as all the urban money which subsides the countryside comes back to the cities.
  • Options
    Surely not worthy of yet more Parliamentary time.

(I find it strange that significant numbers of antis would cheerfully watch "posh people" being subjected to the foxes' fate. It's always because they are "posh" or "toffs". Posh people (define?) may come across as odd/daft/whatever but isn't this just another form of phobia? Who is looking out for this minority group?)

Hunting's days are done so I don't get why Cameron wants to make it an issue again other than to wind up the legions of urban fox-lovers and get widespread bad press. Very odd.