Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reinstate Foxing Hunting or keep the ban?

Comments

• Options

It's shocking and sad that some people feel they have to justify this archaic ritual.

I'm hoping that doesnt refer to my post. As stated before I'd go for a complete ban. It's unnecessary and I find the concept disgusting.
    But if we are going to discuss it we might as well focus on what is actually being proposed. Even the title of this thread is somewhat misleading as it is not a case of re-instating hunting, is it?
    It refers to anybody who thinks it's acceptable.
  • Options

It's shocking and sad that some people feel they have to justify this archaic ritual.

I'm hoping that doesnt refer to my post. As stated before I'd go for a complete ban. It's unnecessary and I find the concept disgusting.
    But if we are going to discuss it we might as well focus on what is actually being proposed. Even the title of this thread is somewhat misleading as it is not a case of re-instating hunting, is it?
    It refers to anybody who thinks it's acceptable.
    I don't like fox hunting but I don't like a lot of other things that don't need to be banned. I don't agree it's the Government's job to ban everything I find disagreeable nor the police's job to waste their time enforcing a ban.
  • Options

I left my best trainers on the deck a few months ago and woke up the next morning to find fox poo in one of them. Guess which camp I'm in.

Glastonbury?
    If so mate, it probably isn't fox shit.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    killing a Fox for sport, and dressing up while doing it.
    Sounds like an arcane Ritual from the medieval times.
    Culling foxes, in urban or country areas to keep the numbers down would make sense. (Sterilisation dart would be best)
    Sterilisation rules OK.

After the foxes, Geordie shore and Towie next.

• Options

killing a Fox for sport, and dressing up while doing it.
    Sounds like an arcane Ritual from the medieval times.
    Culling foxes, in urban or country areas to keep the numbers down would make sense. (Sterilisation dart would be best)
    Sterilisation rules OK.

After the foxes, Geordie shore and Towie next.

But there really is no population problem with rural foxes anyway
  • Options
    Keep the ban. Killing foxes with dogs is barbaric and has no place in the 21st century. If they must be killed then they need to be shot by someone who is competent enough to kill them with one shot so that they are killed instantly.
  • Options
    Did I hear that the vote is likely to be No courtesy of the SNPs stance even though the bill only refers to England and Wales ?
  • Options
  • Options
    I love dogs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Did I hear that the vote is likely to be No courtesy of the SNPs stance even though the bill only refers to England and Wales ?

Did you realise, that the majority of your comments, are in fact questions ?
    Let me know if I give a shit
    Sorry, was that a question ? :smile:
  • Options
    Until I moved to Tropical Dorset some 17 years ago I was against fox hunting. Now well and truly amongst and part of country living I get the importance of hunting and the livlyhood it offers for many a rural community. Forget about overweight gentry dressed in red regalia charging around the countryside there is an age old community who scratched a living as part of the hounds. Also bloody foxes have slaughtered many of our chickens, so me I am up for legalising it once again.
  • Options
    Can't you shoot them?

Urban foxes are a menace as much as countryside ones if you keep chickens. I still don't advocate the ceremony and pomp that precedes them being ripped into bits. That sounds more argumentative than I mean it too, my point is if they are harassing the chooks a fox hunt won't solve that
  • Options
    My parents have kept chickens for years in a rural area. As pets really, nothing commercial. Naturally, they get raided from time to time.

They have always said this: when a fox attacks, it is hungry, and it will kill one or two for eating immediately. There will be nothing left of the chicken. When dogs attack, they are bloodthirsty and will keep killing until they can't any more (they lost 90% of their flock to two neighbour pet terriers in one attack). And when weasels attack, no idea what goes through their mind, but they eat the head only (they've recently lost the whole flock, and had to clear up the headless bodies).

They have no issue with foxes, prefer fox attacks to any other, and hate fox hunts. If they were weasel hunts, they might be different.
  • Options
    Weasels are nasty bits of work. Lovely looking things but incredibly vicious and the little shits spread weills disease
  • Options
    Why support a ban and not ban Halal meat first!
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

Why not can all meat.

Vegetables have feelings too, so let's stop eating them as well.
  • Options

Red7Oak said:

This is so true - as proved by the tree surgeon episode of Tales of the Unexpected when I was a kid.
  • Options

Red7Oak said:

Why not can all meat.

Enlighten me as to what point a vegetable feels pain or do they just get upset when we dont say hello and goodbye to em? :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cucumbers scream when you chop them I seem to remember
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

Red7Oak said:

Why not can all meat.

Enlighten me as to what point a vegetable feels pain or do they just get upset when we dont say hello and goodbye to em? :smiley:
    Probably around the time they get brutally ripped out the ground or picked from their spiritual home.

My buddy is a Veg FC and he told me all about it.
  • Options

Until I moved to Tropical Dorset some 17 years ago I was against fox hunting. Now well and truly amongst and part of country living I get the importance of hunting and the livlyhood it offers for many a rural community. Forget about overweight gentry dressed in red regalia charging around the countryside there is an age old community who scratched a living as part of the hounds. Also bloody foxes have slaughtered many of our chickens, so me I am up for legalising it once again.

The livelihood of many landlords and pub employees was screwed by the smoking ban, that was an age old community that that scratched a living as part of the social make up of the town. And they didn't inflict unspeakable suffering on other creatures...
  • Options

The livelihood of many landlords and pub employees was screwed by the smoking ban, that was an age old community that that scratched a living as part of the social make up of the town. And they didn't inflict unspeakable suffering on other creatures...
    apart from themselves and the non smokers, adults and kids who happened to want to be in the same bar.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

apart from themselves and the non smokers, adults and kids who happened to want to be in the same bar.
    I am taking that as a joke response.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Different argument but I can promise you the smoking ban has assisted in sending hundreds, if not thousands of local pubs up the wall. As a case in point one of my old locals (not frequented since the ban by a deluge of people who would have previously not used the place because of smokers/smoking/second hand smoke) had to find 4 and a half grand to provide a smoking area that was us to scratch. It had a refurb too all at cost to the licensee's and tenancy holders at the time and have not seen a flood of people through the door. In fact they lost so much money they called it a day as they could not recoup the outlay.

As far as fox hunting goes, the argument of pest control is null and void as has been said, if they only catch one in ten then it is pointless and any half-decent marksman would make a far more humane job of keeping numbers down and a far more efficient one at that.

As a society we evolve and move on and some things become unpalatable and unacceptable as society changes. Attitudes towards sexuality and race should be testament to this.

I'd need to see some numbers about what is dependant on fox hunting to support livelihoods in that game because I'm not convinced people livelihoods would be as adversely affected as some would lead me to believe. My instincts tell me it's more about a freedom for those that enjoy this sport/passtime to continue to rip foxy to bits for fun. I've got an open mind though and will listen to any argument telling me otherwise

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Carter said:

Shrew said:

Different argument but I can promise you the smoking ban has assisted in sending hundreds, if not thousands of local pubs up the wall. As a case in point one of my old locals (not frequented since the ban by a deluge of people who would have previously not used the place because of smokers/smoking/second hand smoke) had to find 4 and a half grand to provide a smoking area that was us to scratch. It had a refurb too all at cost to the licensee's and tenancy holders at the time and have not seen a flood of people through the door. In fact they lost so much money they called it a day as they could not recoup the outlay.

That's why I took it as a joke response Carts - surely everyone is aware of that? And the fact that Shrew mentioned kids in the pub as well indicated to me that he was having a laugh...