Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reinstate Foxing Hunting or keep the ban?

Comments

• Options

Surely not worthy of yet more Parliamentary time.

(I find it strange that significant numbers of antis would cheerfully watch "posh people" being subjected to the foxes' fate. It's always because they are "posh" or "toffs". Posh people (define?) may come across as odd/daft/whatever but isn't this just another form of phobia? Who is looking out for this minority group?)

Hunting's days are done so I don't get why Cameron wants to make it an issue again other than to wind up the legions of urban fox-lovers and get widespread bad press. Very odd.

Well put

I'll say whatever the background of people involved in this barbaric pursuit my opinion of them is the same. It's easy for the media or us to use the image of some braying chinless wonder speaking in a plum accent. As much as it is the image of someone fresh out of Sheerness Asda being dragged from that holding pen onto the set of Jeremy kyle as the face of sponging Britain
  • Options
    What I don't get is the barrage of comments about the barbarism of hunting but the need for a cull and the approval of execution by gun.

How many of you have pointed a loaded gun at a fox and pulled the trigger? I have. By some mercy of fortune, I missed. And I've never fired a gun since that day, seven years ago.
  • Options

The Government has withdrawn tomorrow's vote to amend the fox hunting bill.

They're waiting for the 'English votes for English laws' act to pass in order to freeze the SNP out of voting against the changes.

Childish stunt after all. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of their policies, this batch of Tories go about their business in a weird way.
  • Options
    you should be allowed to hunt foxes but not on horse back with dogs, in off road buggies with cross-bows.

you could do it for stag weekends.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

What I don't get is the barrage of comments about the barbarism of hunting but the need for a cull and the approval of execution by gun.

How many of you have pointed a loaded gun at a fox and pulled the trigger? I have. By some mercy of fortune, I missed. And I've never fired a gun since that day, seven years ago.

Sounds like you need the practice though.
  • Options

you should be allowed to hunt foxes but not on horse back with dogs, in off road buggies with cross-bows.

you could do it for stag weekends.

wot like hunt foxes Monday to Friday but hunt stags at the weekends. Fucking brilliant.
  • Options

Well there is one particular bastard of a fox that howls at 3 o'clock in the morning up and down my street. Frecking nuisance, especially as it seems to be getting more nooky than me...

Same here Soapy.

These two reprobates had caused many sleepless nights and had messed all over the shop. Then as if to taunt me they started to make out in in my garden, I stormed out to put a stop to it - but they simply posed for another photo before they ambled off - cocky sods .
    They're beautiful!
  • Options
    Think I have a mice problem at home. Can all those with cats bring them round for a pack and wear your best fancy dress so we can find them and kill them.
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

markmc68 said:

I'm a townie and wouldn't tell the country folk what they should and shouldn't be doing.

A lot of those country folk you think are Fox Hunting actually live and work in London.
    Probably the case around London. Have moved to Devon and certainly not the case, they are farmers.
    It used to be the case that the constituency with the most Countryside Alliance members was Hammersmith and Fulham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just because someone from a different part of society enjoys something means you should ban it.

Just because you find it personally horrifying doesn't mean you should ban it.

Fox hunting wasn't an issue when Labour banned hunting with more than 2 dogs and it's not an issue now the Tories are trying to repeal it. Not sure why either bothered with what is a bit of a political tar-baby.

The only fox that has been flushed out here is the SNP - out of all the things to play their gambit with, this is what they try to use their constitutional monstrosity on - bringing hunting laws in England & Wales in line with Scotland? At least it is for the benefit of English voters that they did this now and not over something that actually matters, will give a big boost to the support for EVEL which can't come in soon enough. The sooner the SNP are frozen out of non-Scottish affairs the better.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I live here:

Can I have an opinion? What's all this I don't live in the country so won't tell country folk what they should or shouldn't be doing bollocks?

Foxes cause us no issues at all and we are right next to a farmer who I chat to regularly that has stated they cause his sheep and cattle no problems.

Is that your estate and/or manor Dazzler? You've done well for yourself :wink:
  • Options
    Shoot the fukas straight in the boat , if they don't die straight away they either can't eat after or see and will get run over,

• Options
    edited July 2015

I think this whole episode is very very troubling and here's why.
    The puppet masters behind, call me Dave and his repugnant Gideon Osborne PM-in-waiting, seem to have (finally) grown a few grey cells and got a bit clever. Most in Westminster realise that fox hunting with hounds is disliked by about 2 thirds of the population and is a gilt edged vote loser. The supposed 'free-vote' was a tissue thin lie. In reality it was just shy of a 3 line whip, with only an awkward squad of about 20 likely to not vote as directed. Dave's overall majority in the house is small, the tory machine was never going to risk the humiliation of losing a vote. Noisy Nicola and her rabble are aching for the chance to dig Dave in the ribs and their threat to vote in a bill which doesn't effect scots constituencies has to be taken seriously.
    This non-event will now be used as the justification for enacting "English votes only on English bills".

This.

Quite right. I said this earlier in the thread. See page 2.
    There was never any intention to pass the amendment.
    It was simply to flush out the SNP as liars, as to what they would want to vote on.

However, everyone ignored my comment and carried on moaning about the amendment, which was not going to happen.
  • Options
    Incidentally there's no law against dressing up strangely with like minded chaps and falling off your hunter as you all canter around the countryside tooting horns and braying, you can even take your dogs with you. What's quite rightly against the law is flushing out a wild animal to have it torn limb from limb by those dogs.
  • Options
    The buggers have even started tunnelling in my garden. It would not surprise me if one emerges on a motorbike whistling the great escape.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

I live here:

Can I have an opinion? What's all this I don't live in the country so won't tell country folk what they should or shouldn't be doing bollocks?

Foxes cause us no issues at all and we are right next to a farmer who I chat to regularly that has stated they cause his sheep and cattle no problems.

Is that your estate and/or manor Dazzler? You've done well for yourself :wink:
    I sold myself to the Duchess of Cambridge for a night. I don't come cheap.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

I live here:

the regeneration of Larner Road is complete then.
  • Options

(I find it strange that significant numbers of antis would cheerfully watch "posh people" being subjected to the foxes' fate. It's always because they are "posh" or "toffs". Posh people (define?) may come across as odd/daft/whatever but isn't this just another form of phobia? Who is looking out for this minority group?)

Hunting's days are done so I don't get why Cameron wants to make it an issue again other than to wind up the legions of urban fox-lovers and get widespread bad press. Very odd.

It's worthy of parliamentary time because the Tories had it in their manifesto BK. The minority group of posh people are looked out for by the other posh people who have all the money and influence. And I don't think that Cameron's government cares what people think or about bad press, as they have their extra five years to fill their pockets and then fuck off somewhere else when the shit hits the fan.
  • Options

I left my best trainers on the deck a few months ago and woke up the next morning to find fox poo in one of them. Guess which camp I'm in.

if that's all it takes to put you in favor of barbaric behaviour, then what does that say about you!
  • Options
    edited July 2015

It's worthy of parliamentary time because the Tories had it in their manifesto BK. The minority group of posh people are looked out for by the other posh people who have all the money and influence. And I don't think that Cameron's government cares what people think or about bad press, as they have their extra five years to fill their pockets and then fuck off somewhere else when the shit hits the fan.
    You still dont seem to get it.
    1. hunting is far far removed from being a posh boys activity. You appear to have a real chip on your shoulder about ''posh'' people but as stated earlier, the vast majority of hunts are a cross section of society. Just because they dress up doesnt make them posh. (BTW and unrelated to hunting, do you consider every Charlton player of the past 2 decades as posh? Because in income terms they surely must be worthy of your ire!)

2. As I understand it (from a friend who is a hunter) the amendment is simply to increase the number of dogs used to flush to the gun, which is how hunting is supposed to be done currently. In Scotland you can have unlimited dogs to flush out Mr Fox to be shot, in England you are only allowed 2. Personally I have serious doubts that all foxes are shot (I've heard some hunts dont even take guns with them!) as opposed to being killed by dogs, but that is supposed to be happening since the change in rules. The amendment is to allow English hunts to use unlimited dogs like in Scotland. Not sure hunting ban is the correct term picked up by the media, though I stand to be corrected.
  • Options

I left my best trainers on the deck a few months ago and woke up the next morning to find fox poo in one of them. Guess which camp I'm in.

Well we would need more clues, but as a starter, I'm guessing its not Butlins or a Scout camp, so I'm going for the camp at Borth, just by the golf course on the coast. Am I close?
  • Options

You still dont seem to get it.
    1. hunting is far far removed from being a posh boys activity. You appear to have a real chip on your shoulder about ''posh'' people but as stated earlier, the vast majority of hunts are a cross section of society. Just because they dress up doesnt make them posh. (BTW and unrelated to hunting, do you consider every Charlton player of the past 2 decades as posh? Because in income terms they surely must be worthy of your ire!)

2. As I understand it (from a friend who is a hunter) the amendment is simply to increase the number of dogs used to flush to the gun, which is how hunting is supposed to be done currently. In Scotland you can have unlimited dogs to flush out Mr Fox to be shot, in England you are only allowed 2. Personally I have serious doubts that all foxes are shot (I've heard some hunts dont even take guns with them!) as opposed to being killed by dogs, but that is supposed to be happening since the change in rules. The amendment is to allow English hunts to use unlimited dogs like in Scotland. Not sure hunting ban is the correct term picked up by the media, though I stand to be corrected.
    As I understand it the Tories moved the goalposts between what they said they would do in their manifesto i.e provide a free vote on repealing the ban, and what was actually up for discussion, an amendment to allow more than two dogs to 'assist' the hunt.

Who'd have thought it...
  • Options
    edited July 2015

It's shocking and sad that some people feel they have to justify this archaic ritual.

I'm hoping that doesnt refer to my post. As stated before I'd go for a complete ban. It's unnecessary and I find the concept disgusting.
    But if we are going to discuss it we might as well focus on what is actually being proposed. Even the title of this thread is somewhat misleading as it is not a case of re-instating hunting, is it?