Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves v Charlton Athletic | 29 August 2015 | Pre-match news, views and predictions

edited August 2015 in General Charlton
THAT other game, the one I'm not going to mention, is a distraction, a displacement activity, a dalliance.

This is what matters. Three big juicy league points at stake. Take all three and with the top two of Ipswich and Brighton facing each other we could go top.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves. First we have to play THIS match. One game at a time as the cliché reminds us.

The Wolves

Managed by one of the best managers in this division in Kenny Jacket this will not be an easy win. But the Old Gold shirts haven't had the flying start some expected. Currently 17th with only one league win (over struggling Blackburn) this might be a good time to face them.

Wolves could boast a potent strike force but Bakary Sako has left for that other mob while Norwich's persistent bids may have unsettled Benik Afobe. They still play at a high pace but the 7 goals already conceded show that they can be got at at the back.

Former Addick Carl Ikeme should be in goal but don't be surprised if transfer target James Henry has a diplomatic injury, that is if a deal hasn't already been done.

The Addicks

Unbeaten and full of goals the Reds will travel to the cultural wilderness that is Wolverhampton brimming with confidence.

The line up seems likely to revert to that used against Hull with almost fit again Vetokele replacing Ceballos in the 18. Solly and Watt have a chance to return in which case Lennon and Harriot may drop out.

The biggest decision for Guy Luzon will come if Solly is not ready. Does he risk the enthusiastic and energetic Regan Charles-Cook at right back to allow Cousins to play in the middle or does he stick with Jordan at full back. A Ba and Kashi centre mid combination is hardly weak but Cousins was missed late on v Hull.

Up front Simon Makienok maybe the scariest Viking to visit Wolverhampton since the Battle of Tettenhall in 910 AD. His partner on the day will depend on which of Watt or Vetokele is fitter. If neither then Karlan Aherne-Grant will be snapping at the leash to attack the Wolves.

The Line up

Pope
Solly Diarra Bauer Fox
Gudmunssson Cousins Kashi Bergdich
Aherne-Grant Makienok

The Prediction

Wolves 1 - 2 Charlton

The History Bit

Saturday, 23 August, 2003

Wolves 0 - Charlton 4 (Euell, Jensen, Barlett (2) ) Parker Sent off

Charlton: Kiely, Young, Fish, Fortune, Hreidarsson, Kishishev (Stuart 86), Parker, Holland, Jensen (Di Canio 77), Euell, Bartlett (Cole 75).
Subs Not Used: Powell, Royce

The long awaited return of top flight football to Molineux doesn't go to script and the away fans sing "was it really worth the wait?"

The Statto Bit

Highest Possible league position at end of game: 1st

Lowest possible league position at end of game: 8th

Comments

• Options
    0-1, think we have the edge at the moment
  • Options
    They are there for the taking. KASHI'S only just warming up and ewe know Ba is now finding his feet. Bauer and Diarra solid as rocks and Igor coming back.
    It's 1 - 3 all the way.
  • Options
    Pessimist in me would always be happy with a point at Molineux, but if Watt or Igor start we really should be aiming for all 3. On the Wolves forum there are plenty expecting a defeat and a good few making complimentary comments about the start we've had.
  • Options

Pessimist in me would always be happy with a point at Molineux, but if Watt or Igor start we really should be aiming for all 3. On the Wolves forum there are plenty expecting a defeat and a good few making complimentary comments about the start we've had.

Link?
  • Options
    Hmm. Can't call it. Let's say 0-1 to us
  • Options
    Got to have a stroke of bad luck coming our way but thats the pessimist in me...

1-2 to the Addicks
  • Options
    With half the squad rested against Peterborough, I can't help but beleive this will be our first away win. Hopefully at least 1 of Watt or Solly will return and Igor ready for the bench. If that's the case I will say 2-0 to Guy Luzon's not sure what kit Army
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Score draw, another 1-1. Wolves were abysmal at Cardiff but I expect them to be a different prospect at Molineux.

A win *guarantees* us top two at 5pm on Saturday. A win by 2 or more goals and we go top if Ipswich and Brighton play out a draw.
  • Options
    Always a tough place to go. Not sure big Mak and Karlan have enough firepower for a win but enough for a 1 - 1 draw. I'd take that.
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton.

The Palace game just makes our players keener to keep their places for the big derby.
  • Options
    Link
    CTA91 said:

Really like that Guy Luzon.

Hands off, you midlandish twat.

OtherLink

I must admit to being worried we will get slapped in this one, Charlton have started well and if we play like we have been, they will show us our own arseholes.

My prediction: Comfortable home win. 4-0.
  • Options
    Reality check. 2-0 defeat. Henry scores direct from a corner.
  • Options
    Difficult to call, but I think we will prevail.....2-0 addicks...match thread without fail from 2 pm.................COYR's!!!
  • Options

The History Bit

Saturday, 23 August, 2003

Wolves 0 - Charlton 4 (Euell, Jensen, Barlett (2) ) Parker Sent off

Charlton: Kiely, Young, Fish, Fortune, Hreidarsson, Kishishev (Stuart 86), Parker, Holland, Jensen (Di Canio 77), Euell, Bartlett (Cole 75).
    Subs Not Used: Powell, Royce

The long awaited return of top flight football to Molineux doesn't go to script and the away fans sing "was it really worth the wait?"

Look at that sub's bench. Royce, Powell, Stuart, Di Canio and Cole.

So close to really establishing ourselves that season. I suspect we may never get that close again.
  • Options
    Wow they seem really negative on this sight......
    http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=94352
  • Options
    0-2 addicks for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully Afobe is unsettled now and they leave him out until after the transfer window closes. With Afobe 1-3 to us without Afobe 0-3 to us. COYR
  • Options

THEMCA said:

Wow they seem really negative on this sight......
    http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=94352

Have they lost their glasses?
    'Duracell' Dave - would love to have him in our team. Would have been handy on Saturday!
  • Options
    First away of the season for me. Been a while since I saw us win away. If we play like we have done so far this season then we will win.
  • Options
    Back to reality 1-0 defeat and upper mid table is where we're heading
  • Options

Which would still be a successful season and continue our progress under RD.

Tend to agree with the prediction and prognosis. 3-0 victory predictions and the like whilst nice in theory are just not realistic.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Which would still be a successful season and continue our progress under RD.

Tend to agree with the prediction and prognosis. 3-0 victory predictions and the like whilst nice in theory are just not realistic.
    Last year (Brentford (H), Wigan (A), Hudds (H) Blackpool (A). Yet 3-0's are un-realistic. So are 5-0 thumping's but Watford say differently. Also this is arguably a better team than last years
  • Options
    I think we will win this. We're on a good roll and confidence must be up. 0-2 Addicks.
  • Options
    Wolves are a strong side and will be looking to bounce back in front of their home crowd, can't see us winning. Would be a point gained. If this was the other way round though and it was us who was on a bad run and trying to bounce back at the valley, not sure if i would back us, so hopefully we will win 1-2.
  • Options
    Don't know if anyone noticed but Tony Watt posted a pic on his Instagram earlier today saying that it had been a long week without football boots on - but he is back.

Looking good for Saturday I reckon.