Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v Rotherham post match views

Yes, the ref was poor bit not the reason we drew.

Too many good chances missed, Watt too deep or too wide (why go 433 first half), soft goal.

Saved by a fantastic Pope save and a Bauer tap in. I had the BFG at 20s for last goal too.

Could have won but didn't.

Last season we also drew with Rotherham at home 1 all and you'd have thought the sky had caved in.

Now we're 10th but we need the spark. Henry, Elliot or someone else maybe and for JBG and Cousins to find their scoring boots.

Comments

• Options
    One other thing

What did people think of the banner?

• Options
    PWR

By my calculation we need to continue to win at home and win TWO away games to compensate points wise for losing at Wolves and drawing today.
    No matter how pretty a lot of our football was, no matter what sort of rubbish refereeing we endured, no matter how much better than Rotherham we were, the result for them was a good one and for us it was a poor one, and I would much rather have won ugly (as Rotherham drew uglyish), than draw the game no matter how much footballing high moral ground we stand on. Being unlucky and such like you can save for cup games against higher opposition, this game should have been won despite any setbacks, and the players and management have to accept responsibility for what was relative failure today.
    You could dispute the attacking options chosen, you could argue that Cousins (who played very well anyway) ought to have played centrally, and possibly we discovered that a game like today does not suit the muck and bullets style of Kashi when we were so much on top.
    We started well, passing around and through them, Watt mercurial and a tad frustrating by turn, and then Lee Camp pulling off a particularly great save from Cousins. That save galvanised Rotherham, and to an extent it was as if they had drawn our sting, and then we had the farcical series of events that led to them taking the lead five minutes before half time. All going to plan for the away side.
    It is worth remembering that in our much improved second half performance, it still took two outstanding saves from Pope, one Gordan Banksesque in its quality, and in the fact that we all thought it was a certain goal and 2-0 to them. Simon came on for a pretty (and sadly) ineffective Igor, and had an immediate impact, setting up Bauer for a simple goal which he delighted in. We (and Rotherham) had opportunities after that, when JBG in particular came close and had his best spell of the game, but grudgingly Rotherham just about deserved their point, not for matching us in quality, but for matching us at significant points in the game.
    As for our players, well Pope was MoM easily (as Lee Camp was for them…both keepers earned their side a point today), Diarra was very good, as was Cousins. Fox and Solly were Fox and Solly, Bauer was his usual authoritative and decisive self…and the goal was a nice bonus. In central midfield it was not the kind of backs to the wall game suited to Kashi (I would never drop him for an away game mind), and Ba was fits and starts, as was Watt, as was JBG. Simon helped a lot coming on, and Bergditch not on long enough to make a big difference.
    I have come away disappointed with the draw, yet glad we didn’t lose, and I expect a clear improvement all round on Tuesday, against probably a better team than Rotherham in Huddersfield.
    If we win those two away games it will make up for recent slippage following our very good start.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Well it wasn't our greatest performance; we kind of gave up after Cousins two attempts didn't sail in.

I didn't see the free kick/corner incident properly but whether it was right or wrong, you can't have an opposition player just sidefoot the ball in at the far post. Really poor defending.

Thought Big Mak did really well when he came on. Great dummy for Watt, held the ball up well and we probably would have won if he had started.

Igor looked poor. Kashi had one of his weaker games (but it's hard to look good when the team's tempo is down). Ba had a poor game

Chris Solly had a good game and looked exhausted at the end. Diarra was excellent.

We move on. Good to try and get back to winning ways on Tuesday. Hopefully Town don't sack Powelly for our sake (sorry Chris).
  • Options
    Better team, they had the better chances, two great saves from Pope in the second half. Igor was poor, looked better when the changes were made. Too slow in the build up for most of the game.
  • Options
    They did a Charlton on us. Stifled the play, broke it up and played us on the break.

We only seem to play well against a team that wants to take the play to us. I've said all week "Charlton always play well against the bigger teams". This was always a banana skin.

I think a point is fair, although the draw cost me £100 on my footy accumulator.

Those two saves from Pope were absolute top draw. Well done the kid.

Playing JC on the left does not work. GL needs to make his mind up and choose a first two in the middle. We needed a left winger all game.

BigMac needs to start on Tuesday.

Overall still a nice day out and was proud of the club and Rotherham fans on the applause '11

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would like to see a video of the corner and their goal. Sounded like we deserved to win but if we don't take our chances then it's our own fault. Every point matters but this one is frustrating
  • Options
    Had the usual concern pre game that after out decent start we would falter against a team we should beat.
    Thought we started well. Pleased to see that Cousins wasn't playing as a wide left midfielder and was tucking in to allow Fox to be the outlet on the left.
    Some decent efforts from Cousins suggested it would be a matter of time before we scored.
    Then we went into our shell. For me we played through Ba and Kashi too often. Passes that could have found Solly or Fox wide were given via the central midfield.
    Then the goal and we all know the catalogue of errors there and I must say it started Fox decided to head the ball into no mans land rather than bring it down on his chest.
    Second half wa better but we are indebted to Pope for that save at one all.
    Makienok replaced the ineffective and worryingly out of sorts Vetokele and did superbly for the goal and then a glorious dummy for Watt( who really needs to stop trying to do it all on his own, particularly around the halfway line.)
    Their keeper was very good and it was one of those games where it just didn't happen.
    Diarra man of the match by a country mile.
    What a bloody good footballer he is.
  • Options
    ...against a team molded in the image of the revolting turd who manages them (after his carry-on at Boston it is a disgrace he is allowed to manage a team - yes I despise him).

I'm with you on that .
  • Options
    I was surprised we didn't play Makienok from the start given the nature of the opposition, but perhaps he wasn't fully fit. I thought a draw was probably fair overall given the saves Pope had to make. We've won enough points away from home playing like that while offering less attacking threat than Rotherham. Diarra was superb.
  • Options
    Luzon not happy!

"Of course we should have won, we had 21 shots on the target, it's enough to win this game.
    "The corner they scored from was controversial, I think it wasn't a corner, and it was a lack of concentration for us but we tried to play positive football and create something.
    "Rotherham came here to waste time, to play only long ball, they didn't have any target to win the game and only wanted a maximum of one point."
  • Options
    Diarra MOTM Vetokele ineffective and Ba lucky not to be sent off.
    Dreadful goal by Rotherham - their player attempted to punch the ball in leaving an unmarked player at the far post to side foot the ball in.
    We were woeful round the 18 yard box,JBG was very indecisive.
    Poor result for us against an annoying team....
  • Options
    ^ 100% spot on.
  • Options
    Should of won didn't
    Couple of great stops by Pope, even more from Lee Camp
    All in all fairly entertaining if slightly disappointing afternoon
  • Options
    One of those games where we were the better team, but hand on heart couldn't really say we deserved to win. Yes the Rotherham goal came from an incorrectly awarded corner, but the terrible marking was indicative of a slight sloppiness today, especially in midfield. Rotherham had other chances to score, often from poor marking

It got a bit hoofball to Mak at the end, I'm a bit surprised he didn't bring Jackson on, as of all our players he's the one who's likely to gamble and make runs into the box.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My first home game of the season and I thought our football was very impressive, we were far better than Rotherham and on most days would have won 2-0 with gas in the tank. All credit to them for making the most of their goal courtesy of Mr Keith Stroud who would be out of his depth refereeing tiddly-winks in an over 60s club. They were well organised, worked hard and their two best players 19 Clarke Harris and 25 Odijigja-Ofoe did well.

Diarra was awesome..far too good to be playing in the Championship. Skill, vision, anticipation- just a pleasure to watch him play football. Solly was immense. Both Watt and Igor looked fat and unfit. JBG on the right wing and then just drifting inside does not make best use of his skill and our midfield three are all competent but very similar in style.

The 11 minute tribute was a nice touch well respected and not at all cheesey.
  • Options
    It takes some getting used to seeing a Charlton side out battled, out fought and no where near as hungry as the opposition. However, on the flip side we are a technical team of no little skill. Hopefully, the hunger and team spirit will come in time.

Started off spraying it around the back, Rotherham seemed happy enough to sit off. Diarra looking like Bobby Beckenbauer in the first half, time after time he came out with the ball unchallenged but with no moving targets to find.

In games like this you need the full backs to bomb on and overload the team sitting deep. Fox doesn't have that in him at the moment, not comfortable enough on the ball and no right foot whatsoever. Still, he defends adequately. Solly showed how this should be done in the 2nd half.

We seem to Want to play triangles and wall balls into feet, trying to make space for a snapshot. Cousins had two great efforts well saved playing this method. Successful teams play strikers in behind, didn't see a decent through ball all game but cement runs the channels faster than our top two did today.

Vetokele is overweight and was absolutely hopeless. Worst performance I've seen from a professional in a long time. Watched him closely 2nd half, couple of times Watt was free and Igor must make a run. He was running in treacle. Absolutely blowing out his ass after a 20M "sprint" as well. Nowhere near the first team level, he needs to get fit because he is out of shape.

I thought El Hadji Ba was very good but again he has all the skills in the boots but tactically a bit of a doughnut. Young players, new team, these things are to be expected I guess.

Nicky Pope made one of the best saves I've seen live and two other good ones. For the header, he was on his way before the striker connected and good Job too because it went bottom corner. Superb anticipation.

Rotherham no.19? Double barrelled surname, barrell chested player. Superb game from him, on his own for much of it. Swap him for Vetokele today we would have been out of sight by time.

Tony watt watt watt was at his mercurial best. From sublime to ridiculous and back again. Some player tone, pisses his teamates off no end, big Barney between him and JBG at the end

"fuck off Tony fuck off Tony" in a lovely Icelandic English.

A work in progress.

Oh and ps, I can see why makeienok got crucified in Italy, where positioning is an art. He needs to learn, quickly, what an 11 a side game patterns of play are all about. Fish out of water, commendable attitude but he looks like he has never played as a striker in his life, always ran to the wrong position.

We will get better, we are skillful but exceptionally naive

• Options
    Ha behave

He needs to work on his positioning and where he should be depending on where the play is at.
  • Options
    You're telling me you thought Mak was poor when he came on?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I echo what @EpsomAddick summerised. Diarra was my MoM. Absolute class. It was a pleasure watching him. I've never seen Watt play till today, he seemed off his game. I can see how he could win us games when he's firing, but nothing came off for him today. Brilliant brilliant save from Pope kept us in it. We failed to capitalise on possession. Rotherham were horrible to watch.