Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v Rotherham post match views

Comments

• Options
    Seeing that Igor was most effective when playing alongside Tucudean I'd like to see him paired with Makienok.

Reckon he could maybe benefit from the flick ons.

Remember as well Vetokele is mainly a Striker who'll score most of his goals from being in the right place in the box, seeing not many chances have been created for him in there, its difficult to see what else he can do

i.e. Cant drop deep etc... cos then we'll be questioning where he is when we do get in the opposition box
  • Options
    The big German lost he's man for the goal and we lacked any real endeavour. Shit performance too much pussy footing around was like a friendly need someone who can change the tempo of the game
  • Options

Seeing that Igor was most effective when playing alongside Tucudean I'd like to see him paired with Makienok.

Remember as well Vetokele is mainly a Striker who'll score most of his goals from being in the right place in the box, seeing not many chances have been created for him in there, its difficult to see what else he can do

i.e. Cant drop deep etc... cos then we'll be questioning where he is when we do get in the opposition box

Was thinking this today. How can we setup and get SM, IV and TW in the team.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    We had enough corners and half chances too have won yet
    if it wasn't for Pope doing a couple of worldy's we could have lost.
    TBF we tried to keep our shape but missed chances to get the ball to
    Solly and Fox in an attacking position by playing the extra pass across mid field.
    we did some great balls into the box but Jordan Cousins couldn't convert any of his 3 chances but at least he did make the runs.
    I have no problem with Tony Watt trying to beat more than 1 player when he gets the ball because most of the time he can. he gave a couple of good passes which Johann failed to finish.
    if we have 21 shots against Huddersfield let hope we score more than 1.
    Not having a six yard box tap in goal scorer will cost us, but our play is a lot better than last season even thou the crosses weren't good enough today.
    The only League goal we scored this season without Big Mak playing a part was at Wolves when he was already injured. Plus would we have conceded the goal from a corner at Wolves and today if Simon was on the pitch ?
    He didn't start today because i think he only did his first proper training session on Friday. Igor needed to have 30 minutes at Wolves and maybe 30 today but because of Simon's injury he had to play 70 and 60.
    The next month will decide whether Igor can get Match fit and be the gem that he was in the first 10 games last season.

• Options
    jamescafc said:

Only way I can think...

Pope
    Solly ... Diarra ... Bauer ... Fox
    Gudmundsson ... Kashi ... Cousins
    Watt
    Makienok ... Vetokele
  • Options
    good things about today; tony watt , gudmundson, pope , bauer , alou mom for me, the passing of the ball and not least the banner outside ( why on earth not allowed inside ; is it really that divisive?) The poor things about today was the no show of vetokele other than for his defensive work and jordans inability to get a goal despite at least four good opportunities . Neither were lazy or not up for it but it just didnt happen for them and it was frustrating for everyone not least for them. i really hope Makienok starts tuesday as he is the game changer at the moment. Back to the banner ..well done to the guys who made it and shame on the club for publicly supporting the campaign but doing naff all to back up their supposed support.
  • Options

You're telling me you thought Mak was poor when he came on?

No mate I'm not. But he wasn't great, he needs a lot of coaching. It's not the first time I've thought "where on earth is he?" in terms of off the ball movement.

OK, example. 8 minutes left. Solly plays watt plays in JBG. Peach of a ball rolled across the six yard. Mak was on the edge of the area, every forward player knowns to run towards the back stick when your opposite winger has cut in and can tee it up along the floor. Withering looks cast Maks way from JBG and Solly.

I am not taking him apart in my constructive criticism. He is young and hasn't played in highly structured tactical football obviously. He needs coaching in his off the ball running, you have to play the percentages. That's all.

On the ball he did his best and his touch is pretty decent.

YOU could have come on and changed the game tbh because until igor went off we were playing with 10 and a passenger.
    If big Mak makes weird run off the ball is he actually taking one or two defenders out of the game making space for other players to shoot or pass to better positioned team mate!!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    We are much stronger than last season: our midfield is tougher. We all remember three years ago in last days of Chris Powell, when there were whole games when we were simply unable to get over the half-way line.

In the last few weeks we have made QPR and Hull look utterly dull. They are teams fresh from the Prem, full of experience and skill - and we made them look dreary to the point of insignificance.

We are more intelligent than a year ago: we don't box ourselves in to the left midfield, balls slammed against each other, spiralling off for the opponents' throw. Tony Watt has got superb close control, bustling against defenders, pushing and moving towards the box...

Nick Pope made some world-class saves today - against Rotherham, who are bottom of the league. Why didn't Vetokele, Makinok and Gudmundsson force a blinding save out of a keeper who is lucky to play in London?

Lee Camp's wife is shopping in Oxford Street. We, Charlton, need shooting practice.

• Options
    Gutted not to be there today. Sounded unlucky with the corner that they scored from and also unlucky still with injuries coming back. Happy we didn't lose but thought we would win. Feel sad.
  • Options
    The amount of possession and dominating the pace of play we were allowed in the match was almost our downfall, we were struggling to pick holes in their defence, it was a very Charlton away like performance done on us by Rotherham. Solly looked a bit off the pace for a rare occurrence, Watt was trying to run through holes that weren't there in a wall of Rotherham.. and Makienok really helped in the second.. Well done to Pope on his two great saves also, but some terrible set piece defending could have cost us the game.. didn't do quite enough to deserve a win.
  • Options
    Veto needs to get fit - give the guy a break.
  • Options
    Posting after reading.... ;-)

Wasn't a fully convincing day out. Lots of just-missed chances. Felt like Charlton of old, not the team that's been playing so far this year. Just need to finish - unlike the opposition manager who looks like he's finished everyone's.......

Thought Diarra was the mutts nuts. Best man on the pitch by a long way. Consistently good this season.
    Vetokele definately looked out of sorts. I too heard he was unwell during the week. We need to give the feller a bit of a break as he needs a chance to get back to being 100%. What he doesn't need is a slagging off after just one performance as that's just not fair to him. Think some folk on here need to be a bit more objective.
    Mak was great and changed the game but he doesn't look 100% either.
    Watt didn't convince fully - he wasn't as sparky as he normally is and I suspect that's down to either his own fitness or the lack of synergy with Vetokele and Mak which is probably down to their fitness issues.
    Pope was superb. Goalkeeping like that sticks up 2 fingers at the boo boys: long may that continue.

Referee - well what a c**t. Hope all his rabbits die and he can't sell the hutches. Lino wasn't much cop either. It's always easy to blame the ref - but that was a really shocking performance and straight out of the Laurel & Hardy School of Refereeing.

Onwards and upwards. And a welcome back to The Valley for Chris Powell - although with the greatest of respect I hope is one with zero points!!
  • Options
    I don't think anyone had a bad game, Pope made 2 world class stops in the second half. Vetokele worked hard but is short of match fitness but him, watt and gudmunsson as a three was a strange choice I thought. Gudmunsson is such a quality player, I won't begrudge him a move to a premier league club but will still be gutted if/when he goes

Rotherham were well organised, did what an away side is expected to do especially one with their resources. We should have had a bit more invention and imagination but we completely dominated possesion which for a purist like myself is incredibly pleasing. Makienok is going to be a huge player for us this season. I said a few weeks ago after the QPR game that he would not be everyone's cup of tea but we would miss him when he isn't there

My missus came along today and picked out Diarra as our best player which is fair. I thought him and Bauer are the complete pairing and hope neither is out for any time. I was more impressed with Ba than I had been previously while cousins for me did what he does as did Kashi.

A bit more urgency in the first half and maybe we would have won but if my auntie had a pair of bollocks she would have been my uncle
  • Options
    If we had started with the team that finished and played with a higher tempo we would easily have won.
  • Options
    Draw was a fair result. Both keepers made 2 excellent saves to keep their respective sides in the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, the ref was poor bit not the reason we drew.

Too many good chances missed, Watt too deep or too wide (why go 433 first half), soft goal.

Saved by a fantastic Pope save and a Bauer tap in. I had the BFG at 20s for last goal too.

Could have won but didn't.

Last season we also drew with Rotherham at home 1 all and you'd have thought the sky had caved in.

Now we're 10th but we need the spark. Henry, Elliot or someone else maybe and for JBG and Cousins to find their scoring boots.

And for Cousins not to be wasted on the left. Come on, Guy, get with the programme.
  • Options
    Should Pope have come for the corner from which they scored? I'm not sure, but, in view of the lack of marking by the defence, the result couldn't've been worse.

Did Pope keep us in the game? Absolutely.
  • Options
    Thought their No. 25 was a cracking player.
  • Options

Should Pope have come for the corner from which they scored? I'm not sure, but, in view of the lack of marking by the defence, the result couldn't've been worse.

Did Pope keep us in the game? Absolutely.

Couldn't see it clearly enough from where I was and the highlights footage does not show the penalty box as the corner was taken. However there was a big rush towards the incoming ball and Ba was standing where the scorer appeared to run in from. As for the lack of a player on the far post debate this will always split opinions but I wouldn't blame Pope.
  • Options

Thought their No. 25 was a cracking player.

I thought he was a cheat
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Play 4-2-1-3, perm any two of the three of Ba/Kashi/Jordan for the two, JBG the one.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Play 4-2-1-3, perm any two of the three of Ba/Kashi/Jordan for the two, JBG the one.
    Nah, scrap the whole idea, even less width and still need a bit more creativity.
  • Options
    Nick Pope's saves were world-class. He made them because the shots were powerful and accurate. From Rotherham, who are bottom of the league, remember.

I have no idea about the Millers' owner or funding. It doesn't interest me, but I can assure you they don't have an owner with fortune of 300 million.

It's a warm conceit to imagine that Makienok will shoot hard and low. Vetokele is simply a bad acquisition; he will find his feet at Colchester.

Our midfield is less terrified than last season: we now get forward incrementally. In the second half, an urgency kicks in - 15,000 fans demand action. We have a corner, there is a kerfuffle in the box - then back and sideways, and a shot from Diarra, 40 yards out, that touches the clouds.

This isn't Championship football. Those fantastic saves Pope made yesterday are testament to the incisive play of our opponents: Rotherham, a team dodging from the second and third divisions.

Don't you think it's about bloody time we bought some good strikers?
  • Options

Nick Pope's saves were world-class. He made them because the shots were powerful and accurate. From Rotherham, who are bottom of the league, remember.

I have no idea about the Millers' owner or funding. It doesn't interest me, but I can assure you they don't have an owner with fortune of 300 million.

It's a warm conceit to imagine that Makienok will shoot hard and low. Vetokele is simply a bad acquisition; he will find his feet at Colchester.

Our midfield is less terrified than last season: we now get forward incrementally. In the second half, an urgency kicks in - 15,000 fans demand action. We have a corner, there is a kerfuffle in the box - then back and sideways, and a shot from Diarra, 40 yards out, that touches the clouds.

This isn't Championship football. Those fantastic saves Pope made yesterday are testament to the incisive play of our opponents: Rotherham, a team dodging from the second and third divisions.

Don't you think it's about bloody time we bought some good strikers?

So you managed to miss all the saves that the Rotherham keeper made and then confuse Ba with Diarra.