Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v Rotherham post match views

Comments

• Options
    2 you answered your own question
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    DiscoCAFC said:

1) Defending was below league standard for the goal we conceded, why did we have 5 players infront but no one covering the back? The player who scored had loads of space - poor concentration from our part

We should have someone at back post but in all fairness to the defenders, all Pope literally had to do was step a metre out from the goal-line and put his hands in the air to catch it. My nan could have been sitting on a mobility scooter at the back-post and either caught it or slotted it in if that's the kind of goalkeeper defending that corner.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

DiscoCAFC said:

1) Defending was below league standard for the goal we conceded, why did we have 5 players infront but no one covering the back? The player who scored had loads of space - poor concentration from our part

We should have someone at back post but in all fairness to the defenders, all Pope literally had to do was step a metre out from the goal-line and put his hands in the air to catch it. My nan could have been sitting on a mobility scooter at the back-post and either caught it or slotted it in if that's the kind of goalkeeper defending that corner.
    Any views on the 2 outstanding saves Pope made in the second half?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

PS I think it's a complete joke that a sport that millions of kids all over the country enjoy and are encouraged to participate in, can allow the physiques of Evans and his assistant manager. In today's modern game, with the emphasis on fitness and sport England and all the other initiatives we are trying to promote, we have those two rolling around on a touch line.

Evans especially. If I'm being offensive to people of a certain size I apologise, but does the man have no pride? His trousers are just about being held round his waste, his face looks like he's got the 365 day a year sun burnt look down to a tee, and he could collapse at any moment.

It's just a personal gripe, and one I have because I believe he should be a better role model physically for the profession he works in

Aside from that, in the lower leagues he does not have a bad record as a manager.
  • Options

What did you expect, guys ?

How often do we win, or even play well after an international break ?

Unfortunately, this was par for the course. Just a shame that Mr Stroud found his way out of the bunker....

Seriously, I'm not looking for excuses but something other Lifers have failed to mention is that Igor was said to be ill earlier in the week and had, I believe recently travelled back from deepest, darkest Africa. So, I'm guessing he wasn't 100% fit today.

So, why not start with Big Mak up front you may ask. But Guy had warned us a few days ago that the Great Dane was only just starting to train in earnest. So, our manager would have found himself between a rock & a hard place .....with KAG being the only other option available.

Of course, I was disappointed not to grab all 3 points but for all our possession, that "spark" was simply missing today.

From my seat in the East, I noticed that Katrien was MIA today. Maybe she's en route from Belgium with a case full of euros courtesy of Roland in readiness for the player/s that Guy spoke of in Thursday's Press Conference. A couple of fit additions would not go amiss but that's enough about my Christmas wish list....

And so to Tuesday and the second (home) coming of a special son of The Valley. It goes without saying that his welcome will be as warm as my thermos but, no offence, Chris, this is a golden opportunity for our lads to bounce back to winning ways.

Let's make sure we play our part and make some serious noise.

Onwards & upwards !

Well, I can categorically confirm, that I am not Katrien.

• Options
    edited September 2015

Fiiish said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Any views on the 2 outstanding saves Pope made in the second half?
    Yes, I said earlier he had an otherwise flawless game. We all make mistakes and I hope he learns from this one.

Of course if the outfield players pulled their finger out we would have won and we wouldn't even be talking about Pope's howler.
  • Options
    Pope, I'm sure, will be an excellent all round keeper. He is already a great shot stopper but there are parts of his game that need to and will improve over time. Pope was by no means the only or main culprit with regards to their goal because, as I said previously, there was a collective sleepiness as a result of us being "this shouldn't be a corner" mode.

If I had one piece of advice it would be to be positive and come for crosses at every possible opportunity. It is the indecision that cause defenders issues rather than the odd mistake after coming for a cross.

• Options
    Saturday felt like a Bob Peeters Charlton game up until we scored the equaliser.
  • Options

Saturday felt like a Bob Peeters Charlton game up until we scored the equaliser.

Have to agree with this. I just cant get my head around Cousins on the left, Why do the managers keep doing, I can understand against a better team say Derby or Boro, but we played the worst team in the league so why not play the more attacking direct style of Bergdich. On the right we play Gudmunsson who I'm sure most managers know has to cut in each time he goes forward, so to play exactly the same tactics on the other side makes everything so narrow and congested in the middle. Again it's not bad when Makinok is playing as he can play with his back to goal but not when you have Watt or Igor up top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicholas said:

Have to agree with this. I just cant get my head around Cousins on the left, Why do the managers keep doing, I can understand against a better team say Derby or Boro, but we played the worst team in the league so why not play the more attacking direct style of Bergdich. On the right we play Gudmunsson who I'm sure most managers know has to cut in each time he goes forward, so to play exactly the same tactics on the other side makes everything so narrow and congested in the middle. Again it's not bad when Makinok is playing as he can play with his back to goal but not when you have Watt or Igor up top.
    We played the first half as a 4 3 3 with Watt and JBG outside of Igor

So Luzon did play what he though would be an attacking style. Only Watt is wasted out wide, JBG isn't a typical "get the byline" winger and Igor was left isolated upfront (plus he's unfit and has morphed in Garth Crooks shape but not ability)

2nd half we went 442 and looked more comfortable.

Bergdich is a full back, not really a winger anyway.

As it happens Cousins had three of our best chances.
  • Options
    Well in the end it was disappointing not to get 3 points against a side that could hardly believe it when they went ahead and who spent all afternoon time wasting and niggling if this is all they can offer then Rochdale are odds on for the drop.

That said they scored as a result of a free kick that never was, followed by a corner that was not a corner and we, whilst feeling hard done by, forgot to defend. We had enough chances to win for sure and it's not often that JBG's radar is so far off. TWWW had a bit of an off day shooting wise but unlike some I thought he created his usual havoc just didn't make the final pass or shot count. The big Dane did his job, laying on the goal and that lovely dummy for TWWW so all in all we may well play worse this season and win.

3 points on Tuesday will change the landscape if we play as well against them as last season we should win well
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I found it a very frustrating game to watch as apart from their no25 who impressed me, I thought we had a better player in every outfield position. The problem was, there are different attributes needed to beat a side that ensures they get their players behind the ball and are well organised than a side that sets out to beat you. Despite a bright start, we seemed to run out of ideas. I am not annoyed with the officials for their goal – it was a farcical decision, but a penalty wasn’t given, it was a corner and it was unprofessional to switch off. The players should have let the fans complain and organised themselves.

On the bright side, we could have lost it and credit to Pope for a great save that proceeded our equaliser. We might have more of the same tomorrow – the only difference being that Huddersfield may be a bit stronger on the break than Rotherham, so it will be interesting to see if we have learned a lesson.
  • Options
    If whatever that formation was a 4-3-3 why would you put Cousins on the left hand side of it when Kashi is the left footed player.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

If whatever that formation was a 4-3-3 why would you put Cousins on the left hand side of it when Kashi is the left footed player.

I'm sure he is right footed?
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

It was 433 in the first half.

Kashi is a holding midfielder, cousins is more flexible. He was playing on the left hand side of a central three. When Ba went off cousins when into the centre. And that is the issue. How to fit in Ba and Cousins when Kashi is the holding player. Will only get more difficult when Rodriquez joins.

433 might work with Big Mak in the middle of the front three and JBG and Igor wide of them but not Watt wide IMHO.

• Options
    I'm a Luzon fan, but I can't help but feel he got it wrong today.

Playing Cousins on the left played into their hands. He was constantly drifting inside to the busiest part of the pitch. It meant every time Fox got the ball he ran into a cul-de-sac and we ended up going backwards (Fox is a good defensive left back but asking him to beat 2 players to get the ball in isn't going to happen). It also meant Tony Watt was trying to pull out to the left to offer some support and left Igor isolated in the middle.

As soon as we bought Bergdich on we started stretching the pitch and it gave us more space. There's no reason why we can't be more attacking against teams like Rotherham.

I haven't seen their goal back yet so I don't know if anyone was to blame, it's too easy to point the finger at the keeper when goals like that go in. I thought the back 5 looked very solid, and Bauer and Diarra look like one of the best CB pairings we've had in a long time.
  • Options
    I don't think the issue was Cousins - he wasn't playing as a left winger and Fox was able to get forwards. Unfortunately his delivery was a bit below his best. Watt started brightly and a player who can run at and beat players helps you counter Rotherham's system, but Watt suddenly became ineffective. Then he improved again later in the game when Makinock came on.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Had a couple of days to cool off and think about the game.

I thought Guy was at fault on saturday, I dont think he motivated them for this game, the team turned up and thought thats all they would have to do to win. We didn't close down as we have been doing. We didn't challenge for the second ball hard enough and Watt giving up and having a strop in the second half gave me the 'ump, as did the fact that every time he got the ball he tried to beat 3-4 Roths players instead of paying a simple ball to one of ours, however I suppose when you have a maverick player you will get these sorts of idiosyncrasies.

Vetokele should not have started, looks like he's been living above Greggs all summer, I am sorry but he doesn't have that first 2 yards of pace any more and unless he gets it back will be of no use to our team, Guy should have played GAG from the off. however willing to give Igor a few more runs, but like Ive stated before I think he's done. Hope Im wrong, but I never am, ever!

Big Mak makes the difference to our team, shame his hammy wouldn't have let him play more than 30 mins. Hope he's OK for Tuesday.
    Cousins was excellent in the first 15 mins and should have had a brace.
    Pope was again excellent, anyone who says he"s not good enough needs a shoeing.
    Morgan seemed a little nervous and panicky at times.
    Bauer not at his best either but great he got the goal.
    Diarra....what a player, what a buy, immense, got really pissed off when wrongly booked by Blind Pugh the ref, and took no prisoners for the rest of the game. Player of the season so far for me.
    Kashi was quieter than normal.
    Ba is a player I like, good eye for a pass, plays for the team, gets stuck in, good work by GL for taking Ba off before he killed someone.
    JBG - some lovely touches but I think gets a little frustrated when not playing with players of similar ability.
    Bergdytch - Hmmm dunno, jurys out for me.
    Solly, gotta love the fella, Roths tried to bully him, he puts in a peach of a tackle and then Blind Pugh books him. Put some good crosses in as well. Hope he's up to it tomorrow.

The cupboard end - terrible until the last 15 mins. As a neutral in a couple of seats away from me said, its like a bloody library.

Ref - A twat, but we've had them before and we will have them again.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is the type of young yet experienced and up and coming striker that I hope our scouts are taking notice of, even if he hasn't yet played in the championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Madden
  • Options
    Couldn't get to the game, manly due to me now living nearer Rotherham (but no too close thankfully), than Charlton but it seems odd that Igor started ahead of Mak when he isn't fully fit and Mak has been playing well from the games I have been too.
  • Options

This is the type of young yet experienced and up and coming striker that I hope our scouts are taking notice of, even if he hasn't yet played in the championship

Played in the Championship briefly when Yeovil got promoted from League One a couple of years ago.

For some reason something must of happened because they decided to sell him to Scunthorpe even when he was their top scorer when they got promoted from League One in the first place
  • Options

Played in the Championship briefly when Yeovil got promoted from League One a couple of years ago.

For some reason something must of happened because they decided to sell him to Scunthorpe even when he was their top scorer when they got promoted from League One in the first place
    cheers FA ..
  • Options

cheers FA ..
    No worries... Remember it all too well as felt it was one of the most bizarre signings of that season (Especially when you look at Yeovil's fortunes now)
  • Options
    I would imagine Vetokele got the nod through medical advice rather than a straight choice. Possibly Mak was more of a risk.
  • Options
    Re the steve evans comments.

A few years ago my son and myself followed a few boston games after his infamous rants wirh Dagenham and redbridge.

To cut some stories short he made stuart balmer meet us at a Home game, bought us a drink at kidderminster after the match as he said he would as he didn't have time to sign autographs and take pictures before the game and at Leyton orient the following season intoduced us to gazza. Not bad for an arsehole. Anyone see fergie/Mourinho/wenger/luzon do the same.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Nicholas said:

It was 433 in the first half.

Kashi is a holding midfielder, cousins is more flexible. He was playing on the left hand side of a central three. When Ba went off cousins when into the centre. And that is the issue. How to fit in Ba and Cousins when Kashi is the holding player. Will only get more difficult when Rodriquez joins.

433 might work with Big Mak in the middle of the front three and JBG and Igor wide of them but not Watt wide IMHO.

I didn't see a 4-3-3. It was 4-4-2 to 4-4-1-1. Ba and Kashi were an orthodox central midfield partnership, Watt dropped off in behind Vetokele. JBG held a wide right position and came inside when Solly overlapped. Cousins came inside on his right foot from the left. The problem was the slow build-up allowing Rotherham to drop back behind the ball before we made a forward pass, and the lack of hold up play up front when we got it into the CF. The system wasn't the problem, it was the pattern of play.

I hope the Huddersfield scout reports back that we were 4-3-3.
    This is how I saw it too. I don't Guy will venture too far from 4-4-2 and appears to prefer keeping it simple for his players.
  • Options
    Watt was certainly playing wider than usual and JBG pushing further up.

You can see that from the header he puts into the path of cousins for JCs early chance.