Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v Rotherham post match views

Comments

• Options

Nick Pope's saves were world-class. He made them because the shots were powerful and accurate. From Rotherham, who are bottom of the league, remember.

I have no idea about the Millers' owner or funding. It doesn't interest me, but I can assure you they don't have an owner with fortune of 300 million.

It's a warm conceit to imagine that Makienok will shoot hard and low. Vetokele is simply a bad acquisition; he will find his feet at Colchester.

Our midfield is less terrified than last season: we now get forward incrementally. In the second half, an urgency kicks in - 15,000 fans demand action. We have a corner, there is a kerfuffle in the box - then back and sideways, and a shot from Diarra, 40 yards out, that touches the clouds.

This isn't Championship football. Those fantastic saves Pope made yesterday are testament to the incisive play of our opponents: Rotherham, a team dodging from the second and third divisions.

Don't you think it's about bloody time we bought some good strikers?

So you managed to miss all the saves that the Rotherham keeper made and then confuse Ba with Diarra.
    You've got to hand it to him though, he is consistent with his diatribe.
  • Options
    Anyone else really annoyed at Watt yesterday?
    He dropped deep to pick up the ball which was great but he'd then try to get past 3 Rotherham players who closed him down rather than passing to the sides which would then have drawn 3 men out of position making it easier for Vetokele. Altough I think Watt is an incredible player some games he seems to be particularly greedy on the ball
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    RedChaser said:

Nick Pope's saves were world-class. He made them because the shots were powerful and accurate. From Rotherham, who are bottom of the league, remember.

I have no idea about the Millers' owner or funding. It doesn't interest me, but I can assure you they don't have an owner with fortune of 300 million.

It's a warm conceit to imagine that Makienok will shoot hard and low. Vetokele is simply a bad acquisition; he will find his feet at Colchester.

Our midfield is less terrified than last season: we now get forward incrementally. In the second half, an urgency kicks in - 15,000 fans demand action. We have a corner, there is a kerfuffle in the box - then back and sideways, and a shot from Diarra, 40 yards out, that touches the clouds.

This isn't Championship football. Those fantastic saves Pope made yesterday are testament to the incisive play of our opponents: Rotherham, a team dodging from the second and third divisions.

Don't you think it's about bloody time we bought some good strikers?

So you managed to miss all the saves that the Rotherham keeper made and then confuse Ba with Diarra.
    You've got to hand it to him though, he is consistent with his diatribe.
    True but I miss his going on and on about Doncaster scoring from a throw proving the worthlessness of our academy.
  • Options

He dropped deep to pick up the ball which was great but he'd then try to get past 3 Rotherham players who closed him down rather than passing to the sides which would then have drawn 3 men out of position making it easier for Vetokele. Altough I think Watt is an incredible player some games he seems to be particularly greedy on the ball

TW's decision making can be questionable, but his short term acceleration worked well yesterday where he did glide past 2-3 players and in the first half only a decent save by the keeper prevented a goal. He'll learn with coaching, expereince and bollocking from his teammates.
  • Options
    more than enough efforts to win this game. Played some good football but it was to slow, we need to move it quicker.

The big Dane made a difference when he can on.

As said the ref was fecking awful. How the feck did he see that as a corner ?

They were NORTHERN in the old school. spoliers, niggles, twat of a manager etc
  • Options

Vetokele is simply a bad acquisition; he will find his feet at Colchester.

Sorry but have I missed something... When is Igor going to Colchester or is this a prediction that we'll get them in the FA Cup Third Round?
  • Options
    All been said above. Just feel - when we finish 7th at the end of the season - this will be one of the games we look back on and say "if only we had taken the three points"...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Most things worth saying already widely said. But I must emphasise 2 things - one good, one not.

Thought Diarra was absolutely immense today. His class absolutely shone through. Watching his superb display couldn't help but chuckle at those who said he's a midfielder, can't play in defence before the season started!

But what has gone wrong with Igor? He was absolutely awful today - slow, not in the game at all. Maybe the injuries he had last season have affected him more than we know. But all I can say on that performance is unless he bucks up, if anyone comes in with an offer for him we should bite their hand off.

Oh for heavens sake. You are not the only one, my old mate @calydonroad is just as bad , but this slagging off of Vetokele is lamentable.

He has had an Achilles injury which is a bugger at the best of times, but worse when you are played when clearly unfit, because there is no one else, which is what was happening last season. He needs game time, not just physically but also mentally. That's what today was about.

Don't be so bloody fickle.
    It's not a question of being fickle, it's realistic. Since Christmas last year IV has been poor. Yes, I accept totally he played much of last season when clearly not fit. Credit to him for doing that although whether in the long term he has done himself or the team any favours is open to question.

He's had all summer to get over his injuries. Clearly that rest hasn't been long enough and he's still obviously far from fit. I hope you're right it is now just a question of him getting physically and mentally stronger. But how long is that going to take? To Christmas? Easter next year? And if he needs to get fit, do it it in the reserves not in a first team game.

I like Vetokele as much as you. But the team can't go on carrying him for ever whilst he gets fit.

• Options
    I see Steve Evans is up to his usual stuff, 'deserved all 3 points' 'their keeper made world class saves, Camp routine ones' 'Charlton had a lot of possession, but didn't trouble us'. Charlton were by far the better side technically, but didn't put away the chances so a draw was the least they deserved.
  • Options
    wrong selection ... Big Mak (unless he's unfit) should have started, Vetokele is no sort of form and long balls upfield just get returned from whence they came if Makienok is not up there to get stuck in .. Not surprised at this result, every team in this division will put up a fight .. I'll say again we need more guile, calmness and ability in both midfield and attack
  • Options
    Having seen the last three 1-1 with the millers,
    i notice the Panto villain always double marks the danger man for CAFC up front.
    At New York last season "Good Evans" double marked Igor, or to be precise both CB's kicked him at the same time( the match when his achilles problem started)
    Yesterday Tony was double and treble marked at times but still managed to escape his shackles even thou he couldn't execute yesterday.
    If Jordan hadn't hit that first Chance straight at Camp we could of had a land slide as they would've had to come at us.
  • Options

You're telling me you thought Mak was poor when he came on?

No mate I'm not. But he wasn't great, he needs a lot of coaching. It's not the first time I've thought "where on earth is he?" in terms of off the ball movement.

OK, example. 8 minutes left. Solly plays watt plays in JBG. Peach of a ball rolled across the six yard. Mak was on the edge of the area, every forward player knowns to run towards the back stick when your opposite winger has cut in and can tee it up along the floor. Withering looks cast Maks way from JBG and Solly.

I am not taking him apart in my constructive criticism. He is young and hasn't played in highly structured tactical football obviously. He needs coaching in his off the ball running, you have to play the percentages. That's all.

On the ball he did his best and his touch is pretty decent.

YOU could have come on and changed the game tbh because until igor went off we were playing with 10 and a passenger.
    Absolute crap mate, when he came on the game changed, set up the goal but u basically are saying he is not good enough. He did more in 30 mins than Igor, Watt & JBG. Obviously you think you know better..........better get your CV to Katrien early for when Guy leaves.
  • Options
    Pope did well on his line yesterday but I think Camp showed the enormous benefit of having a keeper that catches everything ; I think we have that in Hendo, when fit . I'm not knocking Pope- he has done his level best
  • Options
    Getting tired of this whole "Igor is lacking fitness, give him time" business.

He has had a lot of time to sort himself out. A full summer infact, and he has come back looking horrific.

Still stand by my argument that his early season form from last year was merely 'good form' rather than the natural Igor.

Makienok was brilliant when he came on.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:

I see Steve Evans is up to his usual stuff, 'deserved all 3 points' 'their keeper made world class saves, Camp routine ones' 'Charlton had a lot of possession, but didn't trouble us'. Charlton were by far the better side technically, but didn't put away the chances so a draw was the least they deserved.

To be fair, that's probably how any neutral would've seen it.
  • Options
    None of our three strikers v Rotherham were properly fit. Once they are, we'll be winning games like yesterday's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

He has had a lot of time to sort himself out. A full summer infact, and he has come back looking horrific.

Still stand by my argument that his early season form from last year was merely 'good form' rather than the natural Igor.

He had been carrying and playing with a nasty injury for the best part of 8 months. He came in and had what? two 45mins in pre-season and then picked up another injury. He was also ill in the build up to yesterdays game.

He is on record saying he has been affected mentally by the long term injury. It has stripped away his main asset - pace. He hasn't got the explosive 10-15 yards at the moment. Hopefully given time it will come back. Suggesting his early season form last year was some sort of fluke is nonsense. He was on fire and looked nailed on for 20 goals.

He's still not right physically and I suspect his confidence has taken a battering as well. Quite prepared to wait while he recovers both. He started yesterday because Makienok had trained once since the Wolves game.

People need to lay off him and look forward to getting the player we originally signed back.
    So why is his control awful? Doesn't need an explosive 10-15 yards to trap a simple ball.

Why is he overweight? If its true that he isn't 100%, then he is still training and playing and shouldn't look as out of shape as he is.

Why is his positioning dreadful? From the goals he scored last year I don't remember too many that involved him sprinting with the ball and taking players on.

Everyone keeps saying "he isn't fit" and "he's injured", and maybe there is some truth in that but its got to a point now where for me it just seems like bit of an excuse, as it has been for the last 10 months or so.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

We looked like a tired side yesterday, some of our lads had travelled huge distances away on international duty - two key players, in particular, Kashi & JBG were showing this.
    When they are back we will be fine.

Makienok really helped us step up a gear yesterday and the sad thing was that we didn't look for him enough and when we did, a lot of our long passing was off target.

Agree that it just needed an early goal for us and things would likely have been very different.

Until Makienok came on we lacked a target man and everything was going out to the flanks instead of mixing it with a bit of through the middle direct stuff. When we played it wide it was always too slow in the build up, lacked good support play and nobody with pace running the channels.

When our key players overcome their jet lag we will hopefully see the difference.
  • Options

I don't know, the game lacked tempo and I think Watt was trying to address that. Sometimes a moment of magic is what you need to get everyone fired up. It didn't always come off but more often than not it does for the SSM.
  • Options

cafctom said:

He had been carrying and playing with a nasty injury for the best part of 8 months. He came in and had what? two 45mins in pre-season and then picked up another injury. He was also ill in the build up to yesterdays game.

He is on record saying he has been affected mentally by the long term injury. It has stripped away his main asset - pace. He hasn't got the explosive 10-15 yards at the moment. Hopefully given time it will come back. Suggesting his early season form last year was some sort of fluke is nonsense. He was on fire and looked nailed on for 20 goals.

He's still not right physically and I suspect his confidence has taken a battering as well. Quite prepared to wait while he recovers both. He started yesterday because Makienok had trained once since the Wolves game.

People need to lay off him and look forward to getting the player we originally signed back.
    Well said
  • Options

Most things worth saying already widely said. But I must emphasise 2 things - one good, one not.

Thought Diarra was absolutely immense today. His class absolutely shone through. Watching his superb display couldn't help but chuckle at those who said he's a midfielder, can't play in defence before the season started!

But what has gone wrong with Igor? He was absolutely awful today - slow, not in the game at all. Maybe the injuries he had last season have affected him more than we know. But all I can say on that performance is unless he bucks up, if anyone comes in with an offer for him we should bite their hand off.

Oh for heavens sake. You are not the only one, my old mate @calydonroad is just as bad , but this slagging off of Vetokele is lamentable.

He has had an Achilles injury which is a bugger at the best of times, but worse when you are played when clearly unfit, because there is no one else, which is what was happening last season. He needs game time, not just physically but also mentally. That's what today was about.

It's not a question of being fickle, it's realistic. Since Christmas last year IV has been poor. Yes, I accept totally he played much of last season when clearly not fit. Credit to him for doing that although whether in the long term he has done himself or the team any favours is open to question.

He's had all summer to get over his injuries. Clearly that rest hasn't been long enough and he's still obviously far from fit. I hope you're right it is now just a question of him getting physically and mentally stronger. But how long is that going to take? To Christmas? Easter next year? And if he needs to get fit, do it it in the reserves not in a first team game.

I like Vetokele as much as you. But the team can't go on carrying him for ever whilst he gets fit.

Do you think Luzon will continue to pick him until Christmas if he can't play better than yesterday? Of course not. But equally you don't get to match fitness in the reserves. As somebody else said, at one point he raced back deep into defense and got in a great tackle. For me that was a sign of a player looking to get back to fitness and showing willing.

It's also been hinted at that his problem now is partly mental. I'm guessing it means, fear that the injury will return. Can you imagine what it was like for him last season , being played while unfit, and in a team that was disintegrating - and all this as a very young man enduring his first season in England. All strikers need self confidence. We nearly ruined him for good last season, because we were woefully under resourced. I'm just glad to see him back in a Charlton shirt. And yes I believe he will get back to his best. But if he cannot, Luzon won't start him.

Give.Him.A. Break.

What reserves is that then?
  • Options

Do you think Luzon will continue to pick him until Christmas if he can't play better than yesterday? Of course not. But equally you don't get to match fitness in the reserves. As somebody else said, at one point he raced back deep into defense and got in a great tackle. For me that was a sign of a player looking to get back to fitness and showing willing.

It's also been hinted at that his problem now is partly mental. I'm guessing it means, fear that the injury will return. Can you imagine what it was like for him last season , being played while unfit, and in a team that was disintegrating - and all this as a very young man enduring his first season in England. All strikers need self confidence. We nearly ruined him for good last season, because we were woefully under resourced. I'm just glad to see him back in a Charlton shirt. And yes I believe he will get back to his best. But if he cannot, Luzon won't start him.

Give.Him.A. Break.

What reserves is that then?
    Well, quite.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Would it be such a bad idea to play him in the U21 as one of the over age players to regain his match fitness and get his confidence back ?
    he was trying as you could tell by the tackles he put in.
    i can't believe that the player we saw at Brentford and Brighton(a year ago now) with his good 1st touch and eye for goal has gone for ever ?
    This is when it would be good to know the story of his Injuries, illness and state of mind from the medical team.
    Is Igor heavier than a year Ago ?
    If yes what are the coaches going to do about it ?
    it sounds like he's happy in his home life.
    Is the hunger still there which made CAFC fans tip him to be top scorer in the league at the beginning of last season ?
    Vetokele is only 23 and should be on an upward curve, not a downward curve.
    strikers make or break any ones season, goals for and against.
    So Igor needs to find that Mojo ASAP.

• Options
    Some valid points but I had two main issues:

1) Defending was below league standard for the goal we conceded, why did we have 5 players infront but no one covering the back? The player who scored had loads of space - poor concentration from our part

2) Finishing was poor today but if Mak playd full 90 mins we would have won. Mak was not 100% fit for the game though.
  • Options
    Their no.25 was the guy bob peeters said was best midfielder in the belgian league in 2013/14