Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket vs Pakistan (in UAE)

Comments

• pettgra said:

pettgra said:

What has James Tredwell ever done that is so wrong to be overlooked so many times.
    The batting line up should be strong enough to accomodate him surely.

Agreed in former years he was hard done by but he'll be 34 in the New Year and it's time to look forward. And as they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    That is a valid point. Must admit there was just a bit of Kent biase.
    Me too but, with Riley coming back to form, Treders isn't certain to get in the Kent side either.
    That will be really good if Riley can kick on.
  • To me Tredders is still a very good one day bowler, it's in 4 day cricket that he seemed a bit lacking
  • 216-2 off 38.5

Hales out for 109

Root 49*
  • Only the second time we've put on a hundred stand for both the first and second wickets in an ODI.
  • 283-5 at end of innings

As well as Pakistan bowled late on, it was a slightly disappointing finish. From 240-2 after 42 we only made 43 in the final 8 overs and still had 5 wickets in hand at the end with Morgan, Buttler and Taylor only scoring 49 off 47 between them.
  • Root never really got going and the scoring slowed at the wrong time
  • I've only just realised the significance of Joe Root's shirt number. Route 66.
  • Woakes and Willey have 2 each and Pakistan are 50-4
  • make that 3 for Woakes and 50-5!
  • Blimey, worse than one of England's collapses!
  • Sponsored links:

• THIS is worse than one of England's collapses. Maybe the stupidest batting innings I've seen in a long, long time
  • 132-2 to 161-8

England have got to fancy their chances now.
  • Shocking, and that includes a terrible missed stumping by Buttler
  • Test squad to tour South Africa announced. Big news is that Bell has been dropped but Compton and the Snail are back.

Footitt also gets a call up in the absence of Finn and Wood.

Full squad:

Cook
    Hales
    Compton
    Root
    Taylor
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Patel
    Broad
    Jordan
    Footitt
    Anderson
    Woakes
  • Massive call to drop Bell and bring back Compton and Ballance.

That's quite a stodgy looking Top 3 as a result!

other than Cook and Root it has been a poor top order for a long while. Batting time is better than just getting out.
  • Jordan and Patel ? Really?
  • I'd like to see Compton at 3 but I doubt that'll happen. Really shocked they've dropped Bell and that probably signals the end of his England career.

From that squad, my 11 would be

Cook
    Hales
    Compton
    Root
    Taylor
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Ali
    Broad
    Footitt
    Anderson
  • I'd like to see Compton at 3 but I doubt that'll happen. Really shocked they've dropped Bell and that probably signals the end of his England career.

From that squad, my 11 would be

Cook
    Hales
    Compton
    Root
    Taylor
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Ali
    Broad
    Footitt
    Anderson

Yes I totally agree with that line up. Footitt gives us some variation and is able to deliver the ball at 90 mph. Finn and Wood will be big misses though.

• Sponsored links:

Not if Hales opens.
  • Didn't think they would drop Bell - big decision but the right one IMHO.

Not if Hales opens.
    I imagine the warm up games will be a shoot out between them
  • I'm not so sure, I think Hales will open with Cook so it's Ballance v Compton for 3.
  • Where's Tate? - you know, Lyle's partner !
  • Does Compton usually play at three for his county? I'm sure he can do a job there
  • CHGCHG
    edited November 2015
    McBobbin said:

Does Compton usually play at three for his county? I'm sure he can do a job there

Yep, batted three for Somerset last season. Solid bat, grew up playing in SA so that will not be a problem for him. I think Hales will open and it will be Compo v Ballance for the three spot.

• CHG said:

McBobbin said:

Does Compton usually play at three for his county? I'm sure he can do a job there

Yep, batted three for Somerset last season. Solid bat, grew up playing in SA so that will not be a problem for him. I think Hales will open and it will be Compo v Ballance for the three spot.

Effectively an opener half the time anyway, as Hales is the sort of batsman who fails a lot, but when set makes big scores.
  • CHG said:

McBobbin said:

Effectively an opener half the time anyway, as Hales is the sort of batsman who fails a lot, but when set makes big scores.
    Yep, he will probably have a flash, like others have argued, I don't know what the rush is, 5 days in a test, no need to rush, 50-3 off 12 overs is not required.

• CHG said:

CHG said:

McBobbin said:

Yep, he will probably have a flash, like others have argued, I don't know what the rush is, 5 days in a test, no need to rush, 50-3 off 12 overs is not required.

True but too.much slow scoring creates pressure.