Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket vs Pakistan (in UAE)

Comments

• Bell needs to go, but there aren't exactly batsmen queuing up for his place sadly. Taylor deserved a go and I like him but who's next in line?

Means we need a 2 and a 3 realistically - Moeen is not an opener. Think Hales will get his chance opening, shame he wasn't given a shot here in at least one test rather than the baptism of fire v Saffers. Not convinced on him but he deserves the shot.

We've discarded many openers, maybe too quickly. Looking at what has come afterwards, were Compton and Carberry that bad?
  • Compton no - think he deserved a bit longer but then Root looked a natural option to.open at the time I guess.

Carberry I can understand, especially given his age.
  • When Bell retires/dropped, I think Taylor should bat at 3 personally. Hales to open with Cook
  • Makes sense, but then who at 5? Bairstow is about right at 6 I think.

Morgan?!
  • edited November 2015

Compton no - think he deserved a bit longer but then Root looked a natural option to.open at the time I guess.

Carberry I can understand, especially given his age.

Might not be the youngest but still one of if not the best fielder in the country.

EDIT: Carberry
  • don't get all the stick given to Bell, he's not even had a terrible series.

For the time being, he's the best middle order batsman to go with Root and Taylor. Ali to move down to 8, Stokes at 7 with Bairstow at 6. Only real priority should be the opening spot.
  • What about Vince? has technique and also mental toughness.
  • What about Vince? has technique and also mental toughness.

Vince all the way.

• don't get all the stick given to Bell, he's not even had a terrible series.

I think he's getting out in silly ways. In a way it's nothing new - he was always one for pretty 20s or 30s but didn't go on enough.

Less of a problem when you usually make 30 say with a few good scores thrown in, but now he's more getting 30 with a few terrible scores. No centuries for 23 innings I think? Not good enough.

150 odd runs this series but they were playing on absolute roads for the most part - he should have done much, much better.

Don't know too much about Vince (did hear Vaughan earlier say he'd take him in the squad to SA) I must admit but if he's got the potential I'd rather him be in given he's ten years younger and can get better not worse.
  • I think that Vince is one of those players who doesnt 'look' like a Test player but once in the side will be a really solid player with a average of 40+.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah Vince is next in line I would think
  • Compton would fit the bill if it was 1985 but it's not it's 2015 and his previous run in the side often co-incided with our run rate dropping below 2 runs an over.

The best sides will always score between 3.5-4 runs an over and unless Compton has changed his game then keep him far far away from the team.

There's still a KP-sized hole in the team for me but that's another issue.
  • You can't have Cook and Compton opening together.

I was at the Ashes in Oz in 2013 and when it was Cook and Carberry together, it was their tortuous scoring rate that was one of the problems early on.

Hales reminds me of a right handed Trescothick, he plays with little movement, but has a good eye, and scores quickly.

Is he the next Graham Gooch - no, is he the best option that we have now, probably yes.
  • Don't tar Trescothick with that brush ffs - ten times the batsman Hales is
  • Didn't say he wasn't, but if you had told people in county cricket that Tresco would go on to have the test career that he had, then they would have laughed at you.

He was very much a Taunton flat track bigger, who Duncan Flectcher saw something in, that then went on to work at test level pretty well.

The broader point here of course, is that we have not come near to replacing Strauss, and that is not going to change any time soon.
  • No lack of Test cricket to watch for us insomniacs.

Australia 253-1 off 60 (Burns71, Warner 130* & Khawaja 42") v NZ

Indian 55-1 off 18 v SA
  • Oh dear. Joe Root gone already, going back to one that shoots and is caught absolutely plumb in front.

48-3
  • And Taylor now gone caught at slip off Zulfiqar

57-4
  • To be followed by Bairstow being given out LBW trying to sweep. Reviewed but still out and we have now lost all our reviews.

58-5
  • And Patel is out LBW too - first ball

59-6

• Sponsored links:

• Well Cook is still there and is now joined by Rashid but, at this rate, there really won't be any point in Stokes batting.
  • 13-4 off 7 overs this morning
  • I spoke yesterday about Anderson & Broad's figures as against those of our spinners. Well here's the Pakistan comparison for this innings:

Fast bowlers:

4-0-23-0

Spinners:

29-8-42-6

The wicket hasn't suddenly become a road for quickies and a bunsen burner for spinners. It's just that our opening attack are exceptional and our spinners are no better than club bowlers at times.
  • The batsman had better take broad and Anderson out to dinner to apologise.
  • Rashid out bowled for 22

108-7
  • 120-7 at lunch
  • First time in 87 Tests that Broad has batted with Cook. Incredible stat.

P.S. This is rubbish, Cook aside. Lack of decent spinners has cost us the match though.
  • First test they showed a lack of sportsmanship to stop us winning and I felt sorry for Cook after his innings.

Since then it has all been about Anderson and Broad and their brilliance on unresponsive pitches, they have been our best players.
  • Broad gone caught at square leg sweeping.

138-8