Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

T-Watt

Comments

• Options

I'd drop him on Saturday.

For who though...

- Ahearne-Grant (Many will say he's not ready)
    - Vetokele (The general opinion is that he's not fit and that he's too interested in his Missus at the moment)
    - McAnley (He's unfairly been awarded the new Sponge-Foot tag)
    - Kennedy (See Ahearne-Grant)
    - Gudmundsson (Who do you play on the Right?)
    I think I'd be tempted to leave him on the bench and bring him on later on when the defenses are tiring little. I think I'd be tempted to start with Vetokele. The problem is that they both (Watt and Vetokele) need minutes to get up to match fitness. I still think that either of them could get 15 goals this season playing with Mig Mak, it's just about getting them totally match fit.
  • Options
    To put all this into context, TW is potentially our main match winner. However that just makes it all the more frustrating when he plays like that.
  • Options
    redman said:

He played like an 8 year old schoolboy today who had fallen out with his mates and wouldn't pass the ball to them. How he stayed on for 90 minutes is beyond me.

To a certain extent that was the case V Rotherham aswell.
  • Options
    Tony should be brought off on Saturday regardless of how well he is playing, then started on the bench against Palace....get him majorly angry and unleash him at half time again the stripey nigels.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Yep; agree with consensus. Seemed very selfish and didn't seem to learn his lesson. Dropped deep to collect the ball, held on to it for far to long, even if a better outlet presented itself. I wonder if he got annoyed at himself for losing the ball, and wanted to 'make up for it' by getting it right, skinning three players at once and scoring. Unfortunately, he just compounded the problem. Maybe he was trying too hard. Maybe when things are going right for you, rather than keep trying the same stuff, accept it, and adapt your game. I don't know, that's just the feeling I had from seeing him.
  • Options

I'd drop him on Saturday.

For who though...

- Ahearne-Grant (Many will say he's not ready)
    - Vetokele (The general opinion is that he's not fit and that he's too interested in his Missus at the moment)
    - McAnley (He's unfairly been awarded the new Sponge-Foot tag)
    - Kennedy (See Ahearne-Grant)
    - Gudmundsson (Who do you play on the Right?)
    I think I'd be tempted to leave him on the bench and bring him on later on when the defenses are tiring little. I think I'd be tempted to start with Vetokele. The problem is that they both (Watt and Vetokele) need minutes to get up to match fitness. I still think that either of them could get 15 goals this season playing with Mig Mak, it's just about getting them totally match fit.
    I don't think Vetokele is the answer to any problem we have right now. Infact his lack of fitness and performance is a big problem in itself. He cannot be considered over Watt, surely.
  • Options
    I brought a mate to the match last night. He said Tony's footwork and trickery was amazing, but he doesn't know how to play football. Pretty much sums up the way he played. I think he needs to be benched for the start against Blackburn, maybe even play the new guy instead of him.
  • Options
    This is the first example of the attitude problem that accompanied Tony to the club.
    I thought it may have reared it's head sooner in all fairness.

Luzon, do your thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015

... - McAnley (He's unfairly been awarded the new Sponge-Foot tag)

Blimey, that was quick even by Charlton standards. Is that all it takes these days, two pea-rollers and you're Spongefoot.
  • Options
    Stig said:

... - McAnley (He's unfairly been awarded the new Sponge-Foot tag)

Blimey, that was quick even by Charlton standards. Is that all it takes these days, two pea-rollers and you're Spongefoot.
    Seems like it from some of the Player Marks thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Personally thought there were a number of occasions when his teammates just stopped to watch him instead of showing for a pass.

He did make a few bad decisions in possession but they were all at that last night. Was a brainless performance in general.

He also was instrumental in probably our single good move when he turned his man and fed JoBerg to cross to Bergdich who unfortunately fired over.

Whole team was not really at the races last night except maybe Bauer imo, so kind of harsh to single out Watt.
  • Options
    His brother was watching on Saturday. Not sure whether he was staying down here long enough to watch last night's match too.

The boy is young and keen and has ability beyond anyone else in that squad properly harnessed.

He reminded me of a younger Rooney last night in the way he kept coming back to get the ball and thus was anywhere but in the box. Some of that is down to his inexperience but a good deal more is as Tutt-Tutt says about the gaps between the midfield and the front two and the defence.

He doesn't get the service and thus the ball unless he does come back.

Cousins has the legs to bridge those gaps so let's use him in his best position to do just that and perhaps we'll see the Tony Watt watt Watt we know and love again.
  • Options
    Thing is all good players are talked about and teams come up with ways to stop them (unless they are Messi or Ronaldo then it can't really be done so easily) and clearly Powell had told his players to double up and get tight and it worked. Sure every now and again he will shake clear as the boy is strong but most of the time it will be like last night.

Watt has quality so he has to have the nous to change his game so instead of trying to dribble his way past three players he lays off very early and create space that way. If he can adapt then he is the player we all hoped he would be if he can't he becomes a liability. Personally he looked to me like he was trying too hard he needs to play with his head as well as his feet. But my opinion is that we should keep backing him as he is not a player who is going to improve when he is getting pelters.
  • Options
    masicat said:

We sponsored a game last season and picked Watt as MoM. Shook his hand at the photo call and got a weak limp lump of lettuce. My mind was made up.

Tony's a big lettuce fan?

• Options
    edited September 2015

Do worry about 'our Tone.

He is so close to being terrific but there is a nagging doubt that there is something about him that's just going to hold him back and not meet his full potential. Rumours of a big fall out with one of the coaching staff just before the start of the season looked like they had credibity when he was dropped for the start.

I said on the Huddersfield thread that I was worried that the real TW was beginning to rear his head. Rumours from Sparrows that his ability is unquestioned but he just can't be coached or respect authority in any form. For such a talented player, Celtic couldn't wait to offload him, Leige quickly confined him to the bench and Strachan hasn't come close to picking him for a struggling Scotland squad. The player I watched Tuesday night looked very unhappy and apart from one early run, he made the wrong choices every time he got the ball. Hope the lad sorts his head out or he'll just be another wasted talent.

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

TWWW is playing too deep....... It's that simple. The hero he has been up until now is just the same TWWW but playing in and around the box where he causes panic and defenders are scared to tackle. He's never been a passer of the ball and tonight I thought he tried to pass it early in the game but fluffed his lines every time (he wasn't the only one though).
    People are blaming Big Mak for not finding a red shirt with the flick ons but when your strike partner is not where he's supposed to be, what can he do?
    Furthermore TWWW playing deep just clogs the midfield and makes it harder to move the ball to open up their defence.
    In another note, people questioning his application must have missed a number of lung busting runs back to try to retrieve the ball after losing it!

beat me to it. He drops back to find space and the ball but that means he has more players to beat and that when he does turn the ball over the other side are able to break on us.

Wouldn't fault his application it's his team play that needs to improve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thing is all good players are talked about and teams come up with ways to stop them (unless they are Messi or Ronaldo then it can't really be done so easily) and clearly Powell had told his players to double up and get tight and it worked. Sure every now and again he will shake clear as the boy is strong but most of the time it will be like last night.

Watt has quality so he has to have the nous to change his game so instead of trying to dribble his way past three players he lays off very early and create space that way. If he can adapt then he is the player we all hoped he would be if he can't he becomes a liability. Personally he looked to me like he was trying too hard he needs to play with his head as well as his feet. But my opinion is that we should keep backing him as he is not a player who is going to improve when he is getting pelters.

Great point, CP probably knows our strengths and weaknesses better than any other manager bar Luzon. Luzon should have anticipated that Watt would be crowded out, but counteracted that by ensuring that other players were making runs from deep to take advantage of the gaps created. Let's make Watt as useful off the ball as he can be on it.

• Options

Great point, CP probably knows our strengths and weaknesses better than any other manager bar Luzon. Luzon should have anticipated that Watt would be crowded out, but counteracted that by ensuring that other players were making runs from deep to take advantage of the gaps created. Let's make Watt as useful off the ball as he can be on it.

I'm curious as to why you would think this. We have had three different managers since Powell left, several different systems of playing (none like the way he used to have us play) and, more importantly, we have very few of the players here that he managed. I think the only player that started on tuesday that was here (and anywhere near the first team on a regular basis) was Chris Solly.

I don't doubt that Powell would have done his homework, just like all the other managers, but I don't think he has any special insider information. Hence why we beat them 3-0 last year.
  • Options
    I recall reading that he still lives locally. I also suspect that he still retains many friendships in and around the club. Such was his affection for Charlton I would not be surprised if he follows our fortunes very closely, perhaps even having a browse on here occasionally. I don't have any insider info, just a hunch.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    We beat Huddersfield 3-0 with the full crowd(game for a fiver)
    and Tony Watt ran riot. You don't need any coaching badges
    to work out that if you can double(or treble) mark him tightly he may run into a cul de sac. ( in theory this should mean more space for others)
    CP did this, just like the Pie man on Saturday.

Plus Miller who we tried to get a couple or years ago had one of his better games plus the EX palace lad who was rubbish last year made decent runs this time.
  • Options
    I thought he was awful on Tuesday. He has got to learn when to take the player on and when to pass it.
  • Options
    Poor form attributable to him being ;

A. Brown bread; and

B. Buried under David Platts house on corrie

• Options
    Actually looked very lively when he came on last night. Without wanting to criticize McAleney, Kennedy and KAG - they were powderpuff whenever we tried getting the ball through to them.
  • Options
    I thought he looked good when he came on
  • Options
    I'm glad he missed that chance before the ref pulled it back for a (non-existent) foul. Lord knows what our crowd's reaction would have been like after a disallowed goal.