Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

T-Watt

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015

Tony Watt is your classic raw young striker. He's got bags of talent, but not always the necessary nouse to properly utilise the talent to consistent effect. Last year he was relatively unknown and had bags of space to work in allowing him to constantly turn and run at defences. This year he's more of a known quantity and is being marked much tighter as a result. He's getting less chances to turn and run BUT is still managing to do it at least some of the time. He now has to learn when to dribble, when to pass and when to shoot. He's a confident young boy who thinks he can do it all on his own because, lets face it, sometimes he has done it all on his own. Part of him maturing as a footballer is to realise that he's more effective if he plays in tandem with his team mates rather than just next to them.

The coaches need to work with him and he needs to listen to good advice. he also needs to carry on playing games so he can hone and adjust his talents in real life situations.

We as fans also have to accept that he'll sometimes choose the wrong option or run down a blind alley and that sometimes he'll be in patches of form where nothing comes off because I don't think we want him to lose his essential essence as a player who wants to be on the ball, be direct and make things happen.

I think it'll come good eventually, but we might need a bit of good old fashioned patience with him.

I know i'm stating the bleeding obvious, but if Tone could improve his decision making , and his fitness we've have a really decent player on our hands.
  • Options

Tony Watt is your classic raw young striker. He's got bags of talent, but not always the necessary nouse to properly utilise the talent to consistent effect. Last year he was relatively unknown and had bags of space to work in allowing him to constantly turn and run at defences. This year he's more of a known quantity and is being marked much tighter as a result. He's getting less chances to turn and run BUT is still managing to do it at least some of the time. He now has to learn when to dribble, when to pass and when to shoot. He's a confident young boy who thinks he can do it all on his own because, lets face it, sometimes he has done it all on his own. Part of him maturing as a footballer is to realise that he's more effective if he plays in tandem with his team mates rather than just next to them.

The coaches need to work with him and he needs to listen to good advice. he also needs to carry on playing games so he can hone and adjust his talents in real life situations.

We as fans also have to accept that he'll sometimes choose the wrong option or run down a blind alley and that sometimes he'll be in patches of form where nothing comes off because I don't think we want him to lose his essential essence as a player who wants to be on the ball, be direct and make things happen.

I think it'll come good eventually, but we might need a bit of good old fashioned patience with him.

I know i'm stating the bleeding obvious, but if Tone could improve his decision making , and his fitness we've have a really decent player on our hands.
    Agree RE fitness. Looks a stone overweight. The decision making will come with experience.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Agree RE fitness. Looks a stone overweight. The decision making will come with experience.
    Agreed, good tactical coaching can help him improve his decision making, but most of us just make more, generally in life, good decisions and less bad decisions as we get older and more experienced. Only so much you can do to expedite that process. Some people naturally make them and others have to learn how to how to and others never get the hang of it.

Look at Nile Ranger.

• Options
    He looked up for it when he came on

Unfortunately the first thing he then had to do was take a centre kick after they'd scored (the 3rd ?)
  • Options
    He needs to be sat down with a video of his performance and shown what alternatives he had to pass prior to losing the ball. He could also be shown better positions to take up when others get the ball - he just hasn't got onto Big Mak's wavelength yet. No doubt that the skills are there.
  • Options
    Met him at Sparrows Lane today

• Options
    edited September 2015
    PL54 said:

He looked up for it when he came on

Unfortunately the first thing he then had to do was take a centre kick after they'd scored (the 3rd ?)

He was waiting to come on at 2-1 but they scored before we could get him on.

Gudmonsson was waiting to come at 1-1 but they scored before we could get him either!
  • Options
    Whose cap is that? Jeppson?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

"Woss iss shiiite nen?"
  • Options
    Stig said:

Whose cap is that? Jeppson?

Since you've asked...

It's John Hewie's Scotland v England cap that we (the Museum) really need some money to restore along with his blazer.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/69229/appeal-for-funds-to-restore-and-display-items-belonging-to-john-hewie#latest

imageimage
  • Options
    Ahhh, I get it now SvE = Scotland v England. I thought it was short for Svenska or Sverige.
  • Options

How did he come across Henry?
  • Options
    Seemed a nice guy, got pulled out of the changing room just before training started to have some photos (see above) taken but didn't moan or complain. Didn't really chat with him for long as he had to get to "work".

He did say that anyone who didn't contribute to getting the cap restored was a tight Palace bastard (I may be misquoting him slightly there).

Saw Hendo training with Pope and Mitov. Hendo was putting in high crosses for the other two to punch or catch while the GK coach barged them with a big pad (like a rugger scrum thingy). Not sure if Hendo was crossing as he isn't fit yet or just taking his turn.

Saw a few others, Reza, Igor, Luzon, Cousins but I was there to see Chris Parkes
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

How did he come across Henry?
    walked round the corner and bumped into him

• Options
    Henry is a mid-field General.
    A great reader of the game.
    Has read every CAFC book in the last 50 years

He is a two footed player ?
    His Left is as bad as his right.

Luzon has said, Age is no Barrier.
    Henry will be used to do the next tunnel victory jump some time in December.
    :smiley:
  • Options

I was compared to Liam Brady once. Only once though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015

TBF a Mother's opinion doesn't count much.

Does Tony know the way to Beckenham cricket club ?
    i know he's a quiet lad but we could have a kick about on the pitch.

• Options

What's the tune for this?
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Are you as good as Zac Ansah?

Not fit to tie his boots.

Zac is a footballing God and soon all you non-believers will bow down to him and beg for his forgiveness for having ever doubted him.
  • Options
    IA said:

What's the tune for this?
    I thought Rap ?

Dizzee Henry.

• Options

The only reason why your nickname was chippy, was because of the amount of time you spent in there.
  • Options
    So is he paying a few hours' wage to get the hat repaired ?
  • Options

Be interesting to see what "decision" Tony makes in the next home match when half way between the centre circle and penalty area. Does he pass side ways and get cries of derision from the crowd for being too "tippy tappy" or does he take on the players in front of him and get lambasted from the crowd for being selfish?

I'm playing devils advocate a bit, but only because I love to see an exciting player like Tony take on players and don't want him to stop doing so. Especially nowadays where 4_5_1 is killing a lot of football matches as a spectacle.

Here's the answer.

http://youtu.be/rSIu2ScntQ8

• Options
    I thought Watt was lazy and completely disinterested for 80 minutes today, he didn't track back, he didn't attempt any 50/50 challenges, he turned his back and dropped his head after his own individual errors even when the ball was still in play etc. Then you have Watt the player in the final 10 minutes who looks class.. He's certainly an enigma