Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cardiff v Charlton 2015/16 Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Not looking too good at the moment, we bady need a win against Fulham to restore some confidence. What is worrying for me is that many of the so called poorer sides are battling hard and starting to get results such as how Rotherham, Bolton, Preston & Bristol City did today. Beginning to look more and more that it is going to a long hard season. I would stick with Luzon for the time being, but unless things pick up i'll be surprised if he's still there at Christmas if not before.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

@Athletico Charlton
    Following on from our posts on the the match thread......
    Our injury/ suspension list includes 3 defo starters Hendo Diarra Mak
    The list also robs us of the back up you speak of (ceballos Reza Igor Jacko). I admit the squad if a bit thin and a couple of seasoned loanees would be nice

I'm sure you meant me :-)

They are definitely starters, but the suspension happens in football, 1 is normal, to be expected, not unlucky etc. Hendo had a big history of injuries, that was our risk signing him up, in a battling league like this he'd do well to go a big string of games unharmed. Leaves just Mak, who despite branding himself a big beast, of which he is at times, he's certainly injury prone due to the nature of his game, he even got injured in pre-season if I remember correctly..

I just don't think we're unlucky or have any more injuries than your usual team. Our preparation, or lack of it, didn't contribute well to keeping our players fit.. Igor, despite an injury, looks/looked fat and clearly unfit.. diet and light gym work is enough to keep a man fit, especially a professional with the resources he has around him!
  • Options

Another season of shite beckons.

Roly, your cunning plan wasn't that cunning after all, it seems.

Please take your experiment elsewhere.

Baldrick stand up!!
  • Options
    Beckboy said:

If I was Guy I would walk away he's being shafted by RD with the lack of squad quality /depth

Having worked for RD once, been sacked, waited in the wings, then appointed again, GL must fully understand what is expected of him - basically, accept the players you are given, get on with selecting the team and most important of all - don't complain.
  • Options
    One word - EXPERIENCE!
    Not enough at the club. Go and get at least 3 loans or Freebie's with experience. I wasn't at Cardiff today but was at Palace and it showed there. Today you only had to look at the bench for the lack of it! I know we have injuries but before the season started we required that player with the know how of a few years in the Prem/Championship.
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

@Athletico Charlton
    The list also robs us of the back up you speak of (ceballos Reza Igor Jacko). I admit the squad if a bit thin and a couple of seasoned loanees would be nice

They are definitely starters, but the suspension happens in football, 1 is normal, to be expected, not unlucky etc. Hendo had a big history of injuries, that was our risk signing him up, in a battling league like this he'd do well to go a big string of games unharmed. Leaves just Mak, who despite branding himself a big beast, of which he is at times, he's certainly injury prone due to the nature of his game, he even got injured in pre-season if I remember correctly..

I just don't think we're unlucky or have any more injuries than your usual team. Our preparation, or lack of it, didn't contribute well to keeping our players fit.. Igor, despite an injury, looks/looked fat and clearly unfit.. diet and light gym work is enough to keep a man fit, especially a professional with the resources he has around him!
    Yes... Sorry!
    My point was that injuries to the creative/experienced back up are what's hurting us on top of losing three from the spine of the team, yet still lost by the odd goal after taking the lead. That shows some hope for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    chappers said:

One word - EXPERIENCE!
    Not enough at the club. Go and get at least 3 loans or Freebie's with experience. I wasn't at Cardiff today but was at Palace and it showed there. Today you only had to look at the bench for the lack of it! I know we have injuries but before the season started we required that player with the know how of a few years in the Prem/Championship.

Seems to be a big No No in Roland's book.
    Thought those types would have been first on the transfer search list.
  • Options

All the same problems as before. No creativity in the midfield and no-one up front to serve as a target man. I lost count of how often Sarr or Fox had the ball, only to have to play it backwards for lack of options.

Sarr himself was a mixed bag; some very hairy moments as well as some more confident ones. He struggled against both Jones and Ameobi, as will a lot of other defenders. Our only other defender on the bench was Lennon, and that is cause for concern, particularly given Diarra's age.

Ahearne-Grant was probably the only big positive from today; he took his goal well and looked a lot more of a threat than Bergdich did. Watt and JBG were quiet and McAleny's only contribution was to blaze a half-volley way over the bar. Moussa returned but played too deep to affect anything.

We badly need Makienok back. That, though, will not solve this team's problems alone. Perhaps the most galling thing was the lack of pressure on Cardiff to try and find an equaliser - such tame acceptance of defeat betrays a losing mentality. We've seen it before, and it is very hard to break.

Over to you Guy

Agree with this 100% sitting at train station wondering where our next win is coming from.
  • Options

Same old story.
    Start season well. Realise we're actually not that good. Struggle through to January.
    Sign 2-3 experienced players in the transfer window, finish around 16-17th.

True. But don't be so sure we will finish 16-17th.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

@Athletico Charlton

Yes... Sorry!
    My point was that injuries to the creative/experienced back up are what's hurting us on top of losing three from the spine of the team, yet still lost by the odd goal after taking the lead. That shows some hope for me!
    No need to apologise.

Certainly a glimmer of hope, as you'd hope Hendo + Mak alone can turn a 2-1 defeat into a 1-1 or similar, but I'm more worried we are a Jordan Cousins/Kashi/JBG/Watt injury away from being inept to bring any challenge to teams. We're walking on super thin ice with our squad I'm sure we all agree on, hard not to.
  • Options
    Looking at the lack of experience in the team, both in terms of appearances in general, and experience of British football, it's hard not to contrast with someone like Roger Johnson.

He came in when not match fit, having not played for an eternity, but slotted in perfectly, because of his experience. He would have been perfect in a match like today's, to organise the defence and calm the youngsters.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    We have a situation developing here that says to me we have serious behind the scenes problems. We all knew, as did GL, we were 2/3 players short in the squad. What did we do, we got in a youngster from Everton and we don't start him!!! GL can say all he wants but lack of experience in the team/squad/boardroom are going to spell a very sticky time this season. If Igor and GL dont get on, then get rid (via a loan out) and use the money to bring in a couple of experienced players, one as an attacking midfielder and a proven goalscorer. I still don't know why we didn't take a punt on Pennant, he must have been better than Mcale?? This is not how I thought RD wanted his plan to pan out, surely for a man of his business sense he can see the team needs strengthening and now, not when its too late in January. Perhaps that's the problem, GL went to KM/RD asking for 2/3 extra players and was told no. the squad then knew they would struggle with such short and inexperienced numbers!!!
  • Options
    I accept that our squad is deficient in a couple of key areas, but weak overall?
    Take the forward line: Watt, highly talented, Celtic (scored against Barca), SL. Makienok (Danish International) Gudmundson, Winger/striker (Icelandic International) Goochannejhad (Iran International, World Cup scorer) Vetokele (Highly rated, out of form/unfit). Youngsters Ahearn Grant, Kennedy.
    That's five senior strikers, three of whom are full internationals. Granted some are currently injured, but surely there can't be too many Championship Teams with more forwards than that in their first team squads? What is required these days 7 or 8 senior forwards? Genuine question because I think I must be living in the past when something like 4 was the norm.
  • Options
    Certainly don't agree with those who want Luzon out, a few weeks ago he was being branded a hero. It's certainly not his fault that the squad is paper thin, i'm pretty sure he'd have wanted to sign James Henry but instead got McAleny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just looked at our fixtures and even with our present squad cannot see winning again until the new year.I forecast bottom 2 and Mr Guy Luzon a distant memory.
    Why is RD investing in the training ground and letting these players facing Div 1
    Not good business to me
  • Options
    Chin up guys, next game is up live on Sky Sports against Fulham, we have a great recor....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm738cEdpZU

ah.
  • Options
    Time to judge luzon when he has a fit squad at his disposal
  • Options
    Beckboy said:

If I was Guy I would walk away he's being shafted by RD with the lack of squad quality /depth

Just like Powell. Just like Riga. Just like Peeters. Nothing will ever change.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

@Athletico Charlton

Didn't bother looking at the match thread all day so don't think that was me!

Anyway, if true Luzon has fallen out with Vet then that is worrying, especially IF he did also fall out with Wiggins. Add to that rumours he does not put an emphasis on players fitness and we have a long injury list and tire at the end of every game (how many goals have we let in in the last 30mins this season? ) Long ball with little tactics and poor defending from set pieces.

He needs to start earning his stripes and fast. RD has given him a less than ideal squad to work with but where we have been successful in the past we have had managers capable of rising above that (Curbs, Lawrence, Powell). Luzon knew what he was coming to as he had worked with RD before so I have no sympathy for him.
  • Options
    vast improvement on the Blackburn game but a carbon copy of the one at Wolves .. 1 nil up, concede a sloppy one soon after and lose 2-1 .. Sarr looked OK at centre back, Ahearne - Grant and McAleny showed promise, though the latter had the worst 'shot' of the season just before the end .. Watt looked motivated and laid on the goal (a first one in the league) for Ahearne-Grant .. our midfield still lacks a bit of 'class' .. good to see Moussa back in action ..
    .. we were beaten by a better more expensively assembled side albeit by way of a couple of sloppy bits of defending ..

Despite yet another defeat, I am far from despondent, the whole side gave it a right go and at this stage of the club's evolution and with our skeleton crew squad and list of injuries, that is all I ask
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Bergdich: utter waste of space. I think we got more value for money from Cory Gibbs. I hope Carl Zeiss Jena are looking to borrow a player come January.
    Hey, Roland, know what? Sometimes overseas players are cheap for a reason - they are crap.

Second that, he makes defending harder for Fox, he brings nothing bar losing possession. Really don't know how this guy got apps for Genoa, having this guy signed up to a 4 year deal is bad business.. Katrien, get on the phone to Ujpest or CZJ asap.