Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RD & KM (ed. insightful interview with Katrien, page 5)

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Mountsfield, that reads as a much better translation and it certainly softens some of what were very harsh statements.

Still think it would have been better on the OS.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The staff numbers of 150 to 100 are likely to be off, but in any event contracting out doesn't mean your net income ceases to reflect the staff costs. You just don't see the revenue that covers them. The average number of non-football employees was 56 in 2013 and 60 in 2014; the number of football staff was 90 in 2013 and 101 in 2014.

The line about one person who ran "all the food stalls in the stadium" and handed over a percentage is complete nonsense, but presumably a misunderstanding between Meire and the interviewer.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    MrLargo said:

Am I the only one who read that and isn't outraged by it?

I mean, the club was in a mess when Roland took over, they have spent money on players and infrastructure

The club was indeed in a mess when they took over, and they have indeed spent money on players and infrastructure - how much better off are we as a result? Not very, if at all in my opinion.

No shame in being stuck near the bottom of the table when you haven't got a pot to piss in, but not great to be boasting about significant investment in players when you're still flirting with the relegation zone.
    Is she boasting? She doesn't say "we've done this amazing thing" or anything like that, she just states the fact they've spent them money (which is true) and then says the pressure is on here to deliver results, she doesn't even claim they are delivering results but given this interview was done while we were still unbeaten, after tough start on paper, the general mood on here would have been that they were delivering results so she could be forgiven for feeling upbeat about things at the time. I highly doubt she is oblivious to the fact we've lost a few games on the spin now.

Like I say, I don't think she says anything particularly offensive or disrespectful, especially when you read MountsfieldPark's translation.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    In online French language journalism (not just blogs) I've read about RD and his empire, the tone often seems to be a kind of jaunty, slightly mocking tone. I think that is mostly just a common cultural style, perhaps especially where RD is concerned. Although different, it is comparable to our tabloid stuff.

Having said that, I think that KM's comments deserve the benefit of the doubt, i.e. it is the way the guy has transcribed and ordered her words, rather than her personal tone. But perhaps she should be a little more guarded in her choice of words.
  • Options

Thanks Mountsfield, that reads as a much better translation and it certainly softens some of what were very harsh statements.

Stand down!
    Panic over!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Stand down!
    Panic over!
    Don't know why you were panicking in then first place but glad you've calmed down.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Greenie said:

Stand down!
    Panic over!
    Don't know why you were panicking in then first place but glad you've calmed down.
    Yes but what am I? ;o)
    How old are you Henners?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

It seems to me that this might be another clue as to the long term intentions of RD and KM. And I do mean LONG term because I believe that those of us/you who are hoping that the Duchatalet era will be relatively short-lived are in for a disappointment.

The biggest clue must surely be in RD's willingness to invest millions in our academy whilst keeping the purse strings tight in respect of transfers, wages and other operating costs. I believe he is quite content to do just enough to keep us in the Championship, using the occasional profit on player sales to help keep operating losses manageable. Creating a state of the art training and fitness complex and gaining category one status is crucial to his strategy. That, together with academy graduates standing a higher chance of breaking into the first team at Championship level than in the Premier League, will (he believes) attract top youth talent from the UK and elsewhere in the EU. Some, like Gomez, will receive accelerated development and then be sold to finance the club and, hopefully, enough talent will be retained, blended with younger, more experienced players from overseas to give us a chance - eventually - of getting promoted ourselves.

KM's disregard of our history and in particular the apparent contempt for the older fans (which she must surely understand currently form, like it or not, the core of our support) is indicative of a single-minded focus on the future. Never mind the past, never mind the older fans - they are changing the paradigm. Over time, a new model will be established, a higher calibre team will gradually be created, a new, younger fan base will be grown. If the current fans are pissed off along the way, so be it. Gates might drop a bit, but a new generation of fans will emerge as the strategy starts to bear fruit.

A lot of conjecture on my part, granted, but after 20 months of hoping and looking for more positive signs this is settling into a pretty compelling scenario to me. The big question is, what will happen when Roly decides to retire? I believe he is 69 years old in November and has stated somewhere that he has another 6 years or so to go (I stand to be corrected on the detail of this). The strategy is unlikely to be successful (if at all) in this sort of timescale so what then? Perhaps he will pass the baton on to a family member to continue the "project". Perhaps he will seek to sell and reflect the academy investment in the asking price. Whatever, I can't help thinking that RD at least is here until at least he reaches 75 unless he pops his clogs before then. As for Katrien, who knows? My guess is that her managerial shortcomings will be overlooked/forgiven by RD as long as a) Championship status is preserved, b) the operating budget is met and c) the conveyor belt of successful academy graduates keeps producing.

Unlike some on here, my love for Charlton has not diminished over the years (although when my kids were young and I had loads of DIY to do, my attendance waned) and I find it very hard to imagine becoming so disenchanted with the club that I will stop going to games or avidly following all the news, rumours and debate. I suspect I will continue to get excited by the occasional quality performance and victory, the run of good form, the new signings, the latest academy graduate debut - all the things that have kept me going since the takeover. I also suspect I will continue to take pride in our history (even if RD and KM don't) and in the great work of the Community Trust. But I honestly can't say that it feels quite the same. If my long history with Charlton Athletic Football Club was a marriage, it would most certainly currently be regarded as going through quite a prolonged bad patch.

Pretty much sums up my feelings perfectly, although we are spending some time apart at the moment when hopefully the old feelings are reignited.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    90.000 Charlton fans, we don't play at Wembley Katrien!
    No wonder we paid over the odds for Polish Pete.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but has anyone else ever left a job and then spent 2 years discussing the circumstances around his dismissal, constantly commenting on the way his now-ex workplace is being run, jumps at any opportunity to put down the company and still seems bitter about it? I honestly don't mean offence by that, I just don't really understand it.
  • Options
    So once properly translated it seems OK. Tea and coffee aside.

Snipers on here need to put their guns down.
  • Options
    So...?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Slightly off topic but has anyone else ever left a job and then spent 2 years discussing the circumstances around his dismissal, constantly commenting on the way his now-ex workplace is being run, jumps at any opportunity to put down the company and still seems bitter about it? I honestly don't mean offence by that, I just don't really understand it.

I am sure others have.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Actually I think a lot of people do. I certainly have and continue to do so mostly out of exasperation.
  • Options
    My ex company called me the other day asking for business - if I'd laughed more I'd have shat myself but I don't constantly, or ever, put them down to anyone who'd be sad enough to listen.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Well I agree with the below. Although of course, she should have added, that she's still not ready.

Barely 2 months later, he sent her off to the arena of Charlton Athletic.

“I wasn’t ready. I didn’t have any experience in football club management, I’d never even spoken to a player’s agent"

If I could be bothered, I'd put together, an article of what she's really achieved, but I can't be arsed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be honest, I was angry about her lack of knowledge and arrogance, but I'm not sure that is fair. Duchatelet has chosen her for a reason. She is what she is.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

It seems to me that this might be another clue as to the long term intentions of RD and KM. And I do mean LONG term because I believe that those of us/you who are hoping that the Duchatalet era will be relatively short-lived are in for a disappointment.

The biggest clue must surely be in RD's willingness to invest millions in our academy whilst keeping the purse strings tight in respect of transfers, wages and other operating costs. I believe he is quite content to do just enough to keep us in the Championship, using the occasional profit on player sales to help keep operating losses manageable. Creating a state of the art training and fitness complex and gaining category one status is crucial to his strategy. That, together with academy graduates standing a higher chance of breaking into the first team at Championship level than in the Premier League, will (he believes) attract top youth talent from the UK and elsewhere in the EU. Some, like Gomez, will receive accelerated development and then be sold to finance the club and, hopefully, enough talent will be retained, blended with younger, more experienced players from overseas to give us a chance - eventually - of getting promoted ourselves.

KM's disregard of our history and in particular the apparent contempt for the older fans (which she must surely understand currently form, like it or not, the core of our support) is indicative of a single-minded focus on the future. Never mind the past, never mind the older fans - they are changing the paradigm. Over time, a new model will be established, a higher calibre team will gradually be created, a new, younger fan base will be grown. If the current fans are pissed off along the way, so be it. Gates might drop a bit, but a new generation of fans will emerge as the strategy starts to bear fruit.

A lot of conjecture on my part, granted, but after 20 months of hoping and looking for more positive signs this is settling into a pretty compelling scenario to me. The big question is, what will happen when Roly decides to retire? I believe he is 69 years old in November and has stated somewhere that he has another 6 years or so to go (I stand to be corrected on the detail of this). The strategy is unlikely to be successful (if at all) in this sort of timescale so what then? Perhaps he will pass the baton on to a family member to continue the "project". Perhaps he will seek to sell and reflect the academy investment in the asking price. Whatever, I can't help thinking that RD at least is here until at least he reaches 75 unless he pops his clogs before then. As for Katrien, who knows? My guess is that her managerial shortcomings will be overlooked/forgiven by RD as long as a) Championship status is preserved, b) the operating budget is met and c) the conveyor belt of successful academy graduates keeps producing.

Unlike some on here, my love for Charlton has not diminished over the years (although when my kids were young and I had loads of DIY to do, my attendance waned) and I find it very hard to imagine becoming so disenchanted with the club that I will stop going to games or avidly following all the news, rumours and debate. I suspect I will continue to get excited by the occasional quality performance and victory, the run of good form, the new signings, the latest academy graduate debut - all the things that have kept me going since the takeover. I also suspect I will continue to take pride in our history (even if RD and KM don't) and in the great work of the Community Trust. But I honestly can't say that it feels quite the same. If my long history with Charlton Athletic Football Club was a marriage, it would most certainly currently be regarded as going through quite a prolonged bad patch.

Bootiful.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm hoping that Google translate has messed up what she intended, because some of that message will be downright insulting to supporters, particularly long term ones.

I've taken the view that KM hadn't understood why our history is so important, why when you've been so intimately involved in saving something previous you'll guard it with your life. Now I wonder if this is wilful.

I do accept that we probably do need to change focus a little into future generations but there are plenty of reasons - including business ones - why you would look after the interests of those who have been loyal over years and typically are in a much better position to commit their money to you than the younger generations.

Most of all, the understanding that the Valley and Charlton are written on the hearts of people should be a constant reminder of ask that's good about the club. That's an energy - if tiring - that's worth taking into.

Instead, we're told "like it or lump it" and "only the new generation matters".

I hope it's lost in translation, because she can't afford these people to lose their affinity because of her and the owner.

EDIT: now read Mountfield's translation and reads much better, although the content is much the same I note. Feels like someone still feeling her way through the deep end.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yes, bring all these new fans in first before you dump us oldies. If you are good business people, surely this makes sense rather than the other way round!!!
  • Options
    PL54 said:

My ex company called me the other day asking for business - if I'd laughed more I'd have shat myself but I don't constantly, or ever, put them down to anyone who'd be sad enough to listen.

Once a line is crossed I bear a grudge for ever. It is a fault I know but after 50 years I am not going to change.
  • Options
    KM loves these type of interviews, but when it comes to communicating the supporters she does not appear interested.