Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    They all do it - itā€™s a recent thing Iā€™ve noticed. Nothing wrong with it - just that itā€™s obviously a PR show to the cameras to say ā€˜look what a great sportsman I amā€™. Makes me chuckleĀ 
    Yeah, bit of a dickmove, that. šŸ˜‚
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Ferrari are going to have the fastest car yet finish third in the constructorsā€™ championship at this rate. Itā€™s starting to look just plain amateurish. Feel for Leclerc in particular as heā€™s being badly let down and not able to maximize his brilliant speed.Ā 

Credit to Red Bullā€™s strategists, brilliant as Verstappen is, the back room team make the right call fars more often than the donā€™t and they often do something a bit different to everyone else.Ā 

Hamilton is starting to come alive as the season progresses. He may have won already but for the safety car at Silverstone. If Merc can develop that car a bit more then he will very likely get a new in by the end of the season.Ā 
  • Options

• Options
    Didn't realise you can now change your power unit under parc ferme without penalty as long as it's within your allocation.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Didn't realise you can now change your power unit under parc ferme without penalty as long as it's within your allocation.
    I think you have to prove there is a potential issue with the current one
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    What the fuck!!

Piastri to replace him at Alpine no doubt then, Williams can bring through Sargeant
  • Options
    Did not see that one coming!
  • Options
    Fuck me I had to check if that was a fake meme tweet for a second! Mental on all fronts and for all parties.

Multi year deal? Guy turns 42 next seasonā€¦ā€¦ he seems to have yet again fallen out with his team as Ocon gets in his face pace wise. Guys trouble on every levelĀ 
  • Options
    Fuck me I had to check if that was a fake meme tweet for a second! Mental on all fronts and for all parties.

Multi year deal? Guy turns 42 next seasonā€¦ā€¦ he seems to have yet again fallen out with his team as Ocon gets in his face pace wise. Guys trouble on every levelĀ 
    Cant wait to see Lance Stroll pissing him off, like he's raced Vettel the last couple of races
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As he is their junior driver it has to be Piastri into the Alpine seat or there is something seriously wrong in F1.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    As he is their junior driver it has to be Piastri into the Alpine seat or there is something seriously wrong in F1.
    Basically a repeat of this time last year really.

If Mercedes didnt sign Russell, they'd lose him, feel its the same with Piastri and Alpine now.
  • Options
    Basically a repeat of this time last year really.

If Mercedes didnt sign Russell, they'd lose him, feel its the same with Piastri and Alpine now.
    At least Mercedes were able to give George some experience at Williams. He showed too much there to be held back any longer.
  • Options

Absolutely the same with me! I thought my mates were winding me up when I was sent this.Ā 

Makes very little sense , if I'm being cynical it's Lawrence Stroll pulling a marketing move.Ā 

Alonso I thought would just stay at Alpine and Piastri to Williams....
  • Options
    "This Aston Martin team is clearly applying the energy and commitment to win, and it is therefore one of the most exciting teams in Formula 1 today," Alonso explained.

"I have known Lawrence and Lance for many years and it is very obvious that they have the ambition and passion to succeed in Formula 1.

"I have watched as the team has systematically attracted great people with winning pedigrees, and I have become aware of the huge commitment to new facilities and resources at Silverstone.

"No one in Formula 1 today is demonstrating a greater vision and absolute commitment to winning, and that makes it a really exciting opportunity for me."

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I can't believe Ferrari. They couldn't cover off Verstappen because it was too early for softs and they would have had to make another pit stop if they put Mediums on. They could see the hard was not working on other cars and the obvious tactic was to do what Hamilton did and put the softs on later. They might not have won, but it would have been possible as opposed to impossible.

A bit of rain a couple of laps earlier and Hamilton would have won that race. Simply because his newer softs would have performed much better than Verstappens old Mediums. Mercedes are still behind the top two teams but they have made up a lot of ground.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I think in later years in his career, Russell's extremely hard defending might cause some issues. I know it's racing and if you're in front you can pick whatever line you like, but he seems to like to deliberately "wash out" on the exit of corners to force the following driver to lift off or take slightly avoiding actions, and one day it'll backfire
    They all like to get their elbows out. And they all moan when somebody does it to them. As long as there is no weaving or forcing off track I think its fair although for some its a fine line. Some like to squeeze, will not will not yieldĀ Ā and like to play chicken.Ā Ā All part of racing and amusing when you hear the moaning radio messages from the drivers, like they have never done it.
  • Options
    Anyone brave enough to predict the grid next season?

Think many will play safe, and therefore we'll see something like:

Hamilton Russell
    Verstappen Perez
    Leclerc Sainz
    Norris Ricciardo
    Ocon Piastri
    Alonso Stroll
    Bottas Zhou
    Gasly Tsunoda
    Albon Sargeant (if he gets the SL Points)
    Magnussen Schumacher

However 2024 I can see Pourchaire, one of the big Indycar boys and maybe a new Red Bull junior joining, probably to replace Ricciardo, Bottas and Tsunoda. I can also potentially see Hamilton calling time and being replaced at Mercedes

Russell, De Vries
    Verstappen, Perez
    Leclerc, Sainz
    Norris, Palou
    Ocon, Piastri
    Alonso, Stroll
    Zhou, Pourchaire
    Gasly, Iwasa
    Albon, Sargeant
    Magnussen, SchumacherĀ 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Yup... Fully agree with you on 2023

the following two years will be interesting, as the Ferrari boys only have Contracts to 2024

Definitely expect Ricciardo to be replaced by one of the IndyCar lads

Mercedes: Russell - Hamilton
    Red Bull: Verstappen - Perez
    Ferrari: Leclerc - Sainz
    Mclaren: Norris - Palou
    Alpine: Ocon - Piastri
    Aston Martin: Bottas - Stroll
    Alfa Romeo: Zhou - Pouchaire
    AlphaTauri: Gasly - Hadjar
    Williams: Albon - Sargeant
    Haas: Magnusson - Schumacher

Then in 2025 I'd actually expect the following changes

Mercedes: Russell - Leclerc
    Red Bull: Verstappen - Hadjar
    Ferrari: Sainz - Schumacher
    AlphaTauri: Who knows
    Williams: O'Sullivan - Sargeant
    Haas: Magnusson - Bearman

Bit of bias from me perhaps to suggest we'll have four British lads on the grid :D
  • Options
    I would not be surprised if Ricciardo is not at McLaren next seasonĀ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think if Hamilton was offered a seat at Ferrari he would take it.
  • Options
    I think if Hamilton was offered a seat at Ferrari he would take it.
    Maybe once he's won his 8th title if he's in with a proper shot next season
  • Options
    I would not be surprised if Ricciardo is not at McLaren next seasonĀ 
    I did mention this a couple of pages back, especially if the Palou situation gets even messier, I can see them placing him in F1 instead of Indycar, but they might have to pay a lot of money to Chip Ganassi Racing in compensation, and maybe even to Ricciardo too depending on his current contract situation and what clause it has in it, and I can see them baulking at the idea based on the finances
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I don't expect anything else especially earth shattering for the 2023 driver market . I think Haas sign Mick for another year , Williams go Logan Sargeant if he gets 4th in F2 , Alfa keep Zhou and Alpine sign Piastri . Alphatauri will keep Tsunoda one more season but he'll have to rapidly improve to stay because Red Bull have some good talent coming from F3 level. Not overly convinced on the likes of Liam Lawson actually getting to F1 in the end.Ā 

2024 I think all bets are off bar Russell at Merc and Max at Red Bull. The whole driver market for that season will hinge on Lewis then and if he retires.Ā 

ForeverAddickted - Iove the Isack Hajidar and Pourchaire shouts for 2024.Ā 
  • Options
    I think that Hadjar is a long way from F1 and has a few Red Bull juniors ahead of him.
    Pourchaire, however, has been impressive and I can see him making the jump up.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I think that Hadjar is a long way from F1 and has a few Red Bull juniors ahead of him.
    With Hadjar it all depends on how he does in the next two years... He has the potential to join Russell - Leclerc - Piastri in winning back 2 back F2 and F3 titles in his debut years - Going by how the Red Bull boys are doing in F2, none of them are impressing me enough, apart from Iwasa
  • Options
    With Hadjar it all depends on how he does in the next two years... He has the potential to join Russell - Leclerc - Piastri in winning back 2 back F2 and F3 titles in his debut years - Going by how the Red Bull boys are doing in F2, none of them are impressing me enough, apart from Iwasa
    The F3 title race ia wide open. Will probably come down to who makes the least mistakes. I'll be surprised if Leclerc doesn't win it. He threw away a chunk of points this weekend, all for the sake of trying to win an extra point in the sprint race.
    I agree about Iwasa and the other Red Bull juniors in F2, although Hauger has shown some glimpses.
    Jak Crawford has looked decent at times in F3 and is only just 17. He will continue to improve.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The F3 title race ia wide open. Will probably come down to who makes the least mistakes. I'll be surprised if Leclerc doesn't win it. He threw away a chunk of points this weekend, all for the sake of trying to win an extra point in the sprint race.
    I agree about Iwasa and the other Red Bull juniors in F2, although Hauger has shown some glimpses.
    Jak Crawford has looked decent at times in F3 and is only just 17. He will continue to improve.
    Yeah dont know what to make of Crawford... He's been consistently unimpressive in the points, which I guess is all that matter if it wins him the title - Still have my fingers crossed that Ollie Bearman can force his way into the fight after a couple of decent rounds.

Not a fan of Artur Leclerc - But he'll go far into F2 because of his name - Has been making some stupid errors of late (So was nice to see him penalised this weekend, after escaping a penalty in Austria), when he's clearly the fastest out there... Shame we didnt get to see Zak O'Sullivan's charge through the field yesterday, took the risk to change to slicks late on, then flew from P22 to P4, and would have finished P2 if there had been just one more lap.
  • Options
    Yeah dont know what to make of Crawford... He's been consistently unimpressive in the points, which I guess is all that matter if it wins him the title - Still have my fingers crossed that Ollie Bearman can force his way into the fight after a couple of decent rounds.

Not a fan of Artur Leclerc - But he'll go far into F2 because of his name - Has been making some stupid errors of late (So was nice to see him penalised this weekend, after escaping a penalty in Austria), when he's clearly the fastest out there... Shame we didnt get to see Zak O'Sullivan's charge through the field yesterday, took the risk to change to slicks late on, then flew from P22 to P4, and would have finished P2 if there had been just one more lap.
    I still have hopes for Bearman. He needs to start getting some wins.
    If there had been another lap I reckon O'Sullivan would have won. He was flying and making up so much time.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm pretty certain with an extra Lap that O'Sullivan wins yesterday. Really don't especially get the Arthur Leclerc hype beyond his surname , be interesting to see if he's pitched straight in at Prema in F2 against Dennis Hauger.Ā 

Red Bulls programme seems a lot stronger in F3 than it does in F2. Lawson I expected to have a real title tilt and has stalled out , Daruvala hasn't impressed , the less said about Juri Vips the better and only Iwasa has really shown anything. Will be interesting to see next season with Crawford and Hajidar promoted in there.Ā