Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Who is to say that McLaren won't return as a top team.
    I fear the sport is now in an era that requires a works outfit to have any realistic shot of winning a title.

A factory team has to design their car around somebody elses technology. Perhaps the engine freeze can help but i have my doubts.
    I think what would help is a major manufacturer comes in just with engines available to all teams who can pay for them. A bit like Honda but if that engine is instantly competetive and open to all it would shake up the sport.
  • Options

Worst kept secret in the paddock confirmed , Danny Ric out at McLaren at the end of the season 
  • Options
    I know Alpine is the obvious move for Danny but there's been quite a bit of speculation that Mick Schumacher isn't overly safe at Haas and Ferrari have no say over the Haas lineup. Would Danny Ric be an option in play there? Certainly a more interesting potential move than Giovinazzi or Hulkenberg types would be. 
  • Options
    Am glad this is done and dusted before Belgium

The Press Conference is going to be a farce, no point having any other drivers involved.

Feel for him, as you can tell he's disappointed.
  • Options
    Who is to say that McLaren won't return as a top team.
    I fear the sport is now in an era that requires a works outfit to have any realistic shot of winning a title.

A factory team has to design their car around somebody elses technology. Perhaps the engine freeze can help but i have my doubts.
    Its a shame that both Porsche and Audi only appear interested in joining as Engine suppliers.

They might make things more fun if they entered their own teams, especially if Porsche could challenge Mercedes in F1

But then they know it wont happen overnight for them, which is why they wont do it.

Nor is the pushback against Andretti helping find other teams
    Audi's plan is to buy into Sauber and make it their own team.
    (Alfa Romeo are basically just a title sponsor.)
  • Options
    Am glad this is done and dusted before Belgium

The Press Conference is going to be a farce, no point having any other drivers involved.

Feel for him, as you can tell he's disappointed.

I still think there's going to be a bit of a gap before Piastri gets announced if Otmar is hell-bent on dragging it through the courts for months. 

The Danny Ric move just hasn't worked out for whatever reason , it seemed like a great fit when announced. 
  • Options
    Meh... Need more teams, not just engine suppliers.
  • Options
    Meh... Need more teams, not just engine suppliers.

Stefano Dominicalis comments during the week really disappointed me about this. Sounds like the door is firmly bolted to new entrants and the only way in is to acquire an existing team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charles Leclerc has taken a new power unit and will start at the back of the grid on Sunday.
  • Options
    Audi in, Porsche will be too, doesn't make any sense to me that 2 different marques under the same umbrella will be working independently to produce F1 engines...

Porsche will take over the RBR Drivetrain division, and will supply RBR and Alpha Tauri, Audi are nailed on to take over Sauber, I wonder if they'll be able to tempt over McLaren or Williams from Mercedes too.

Shutting up shop on Andretti and others is a poor move IMO, there was a period only about 3/4 years ago where it looked like Haas and Force India were on the way out and they were talking about some teams running 3 cars to make up numbers. We don't need 30 races a year, but a grid with 24-26 cars on it makes perfect sense, and to be a Grade 1 circuit you have to have that amount of garages anyway, so there's nothing logistical about it, save for the pot being split amongst more teams, therefore diluting the amount of money some get. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Now announced that Max,  Lando,  Ocon,  Bottas and Schumacher will also be starting from the back of the grid. That number will help greatly with Max's starting position.
    Any more to come? 
  • Options
    It's crazy that so many drivers are having to take penalties just over half way through the season. 
    I wouldn't have been surprised if all the teams had got together and agreed for every driver to take engine penalties at the same race, so negating the effect.
    Only allowing 3 of each engine component was always going to be ridiculously challenging.
  • Options
    What a crazy F3 qualifying session. The top 4 in the championship standings finished 23rd, 24th, 20th and 30th, respectively.
    A great opportunity for 5th in the championship, Olly Bearman, who qualified in 8th, so will start the sprint race in 5th and the feature race in 8th. The top four will start both races in their qualifying positions.
    A big chance to get back in the championship battle. 
  • Options
    A great win for Olly Bearman in the F3 sprint race, winning from 5th, to put himself back in the championship. Now 16 points off the lead with a great chance to reduce that further tomorrow.
    The quality drivers really shone through in the race with Arthur Leclerc going from 20th to 5th; Isack Hadjar 23rd to 9th and Jak Crawford 30th to 11th.
  • Options
    FOOK FOOK SAKE MAN!! - Typical the one F3 race I miss and Ollie bloody wins it.

Really putting himself back into contention for the title now.

Wont be surprised if he's another one who makes the step straight up to F2 next year at this rate.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Now announced that Max,  Lando,  Ocon,  Bottas and Schumacher will also be starting from the back of the grid. That number will help greatly with Max's starting position.
    Any more to come? 
    Great opportunity for Mercedes tomorrow - Leclerc is also starting from the back of the grid - Only Perez and Sainz stand in their way for the moment, and if Hamilton puts in a shift like what we saw @ Hungary...
  • Options
    Any more to come? 
    Great opportunity for Mercedes tomorrow - Leclerc is also starting from the back of the grid - Only Perez and Sainz stand in their way for the moment, and if Hamilton puts in a shift like what we saw @ Hungary...
    Let's hope so but they didn't look too clever yesterday.
  • Options
    Red bull will run away with it this weekend judging by practice yesterday 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's crazy that so many drivers are having to take penalties just over half way through the season. 
    I wouldn't have been surprised if all the teams had got together and agreed for every driver to take engine penalties at the same race, so negating the effect.
    Only allowing 3 of each engine component was always going to be ridiculously challenging.
    I think the fact that Spa is such a good track for overtaking plays a part.
  • Options
    I think the fact that Spa is such a good track for overtaking plays a part.
    I'm sure it does. It's the perfect place to add to your pool of engine parts for the season, while still having the chance of a good result in the race.
  • Options
    Any excuse to throw a red flag. Time and time again. Pathetic.
  • Options
    That was a completely unneeded red flag
  • Options
    I'm hoping that Mercedes are holding back here ahead of Quali.

But then been hoping that all season :D
  • Options

Qualifying could be anything, I'd fancy Checo for pole unless George finds a wonder lap 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Qualifying could be anything, I'd fancy Checo for pole unless George finds a wonder lap 
    On the evidence of the 3 practice sessions it would take a wonder lap.
  • Options
    I find it puzzling and worrying that Max is 7/4 fav, on the Betfair exchange, to win the race from 15th on the grid.
    His teammate Sergio Perez, in exactly the "same car" and starting from 2nd, is twice the odds at 7/2.
    I want either of the Mercedes cars to win but have to admit to backing Perez to win at 9/2.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I find it puzzling and worrying that Max is 7/4 fav, on the Betfair exchange, to win the race from 15th on the grid.
    His teammate Sergio Perez, in exactly the "same car" and starting from 2nd, is twice the odds at 7/2.
    I want either of the Mercedes cars to win but have to admit to backing Perez to win at 9/2.
    Spa is a good track for overtaking. The Red Bull has a lot of straight line speed. As long as he doesn’t get caught up in any first lap messes in the midfield, Verstappen will cut through the field pretty quickly. Max is much faster than Checco anyway, but if he gets up behind Checco Red Bull will just switch them around. Safety cars are not unusual at Spa either so a well timed one of those could seriously help Max too. Sainz is probably the main obstacle between Max and a potential win. 
  • Options
    I think there's almost a feeling of inevitability that assuming Max doesn't get caught up in any Lap 1 shenanigans that he'll cruise through like Lewis in Brazil last year. The only person that can probably stop him is Perez and I can't see Red Bull allowing that. 

Although it is Spa so who knows , it could randomly rain on half the track or something. Think it will be quite entertaining regardless.