Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    As much as I’m a fan of him, he’s acting like a bit of a prick today. Said “they’re out to stop me” when discussing his penalties in a post race interview on Sky.
  • Options
    As much as I’m a fan of him, he’s acting like a bit of a prick today. Said “they’re out to stop me” when discussing his penalties in a post race interview on Sky.
    Hamilton was that? 
  • Options
    Yeah, not doing himself any favours there. 
    Like I said before, he’s got a blind spot - ie knowing the rules.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Shame that LH got 10s and not 5s. Would have made it a lot more interesting. 
    Yeah, maybe so. His own fault though. 
    The thing is, after the closed pit lane situation in Italy and now this, Hamilton gives the impression that he doesn’t fully know the rules. On both occasions, he’s sat in his car bitching about being hard done by when he should have been concentrating on driving.  He’s a great driver, but he does have a bit of a blind spot there.
    it isnt the rules that he broke it was the interpretation of the rules by Michael Massey who apparently issued a race directors regulation before the race.  Mercedes as a team told him where to do the practice start, twice. Why did they not tell him about the new interpretation.  We didnt have all thses reinventing of the rules under Charlie Whiting. Similar for Ricardo, you used to have to give the position back if you went off circuit or had a warning for exceeding track limits. Grosjean took out the  polystyrene  barriers by going off line causing a virtual safety car, still no points on his licence.
    It seems that FIA are trying to level up the playing field in the only way they know.

Before i get criticised for supporting Hamilton in this, i have watched him since the age of 13 when he was in karts and am undoubtedly biased.

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    The thing is, after the closed pit lane situation in Italy and now this, Hamilton gives the impression that he doesn’t fully know the rules. On both occasions, he’s sat in his car bitching about being hard done by when he should have been concentrating on driving.  He’s a great driver, but he does have a bit of a blind spot there.
    it isnt the rules that he broke it was the interpretation of the rules by Michael Massey who apparently issued a race directors regulation before the race.  Mercedes as a team told him where to do the practice start, twice. Why did they not tell him about the new interpretation.  We didnt have all thses reinventing of the rules under Charlie Whiting. Similar for Ricardo, you used to have to give the position back if you went off circuit or had a warning for exceeding track limits. Grosjean took out the  polystyrene  barriers by going off line causing a virtual safety car, still no points on his licence.
    It seems that FIA are trying to level up the playing field in the only way they know.

Before i get criticised for supporting Hamilton in this, i have watched him since the age of 13 when he was in karts and am undoubtedly biased.

Lewis also came over on team radio to his race engineer asking for the ok, which he got.  So hard to place the blame solely on Lewis, team messed up on that one.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the penalties - even if the rules we’re changed on the day by the steward, it’s the teams job to know that and inform the drivers.

What does puzzle me though is that after the first illegal test start, the stewards, who I presume saw it, didn’t inform Mercedes they were under investigation immediately. Instead, it looks like they waited until they did it again. It’s a bit like giving someone a secret yellow card, and then showing them a red for the second. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    cafcpolo said:

I think that is a fair assessment, bias or not. Hamilton will beat the record this season and should just accept it. Which I'm sure he will tomorrow when he focuses on the next race.

As a general point, I think F1 should realise it has to be reasonably exciting and it shouldn't just be about financials. Poor tracks like Sochi do not deserve a Gran Prix.
  • Options
    I'd love Sochi to be dropped from the calendar but think there's probably too much politically for that to happen. 

Might not even be a Russian on the grid next season with Kyvat on shaky ground and Shwartzman unlikely to get the Superlicence points required.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd love Sochi to be dropped from the calendar but think there's probably too much politically for that to happen. 

Might not even be a Russian on the grid next season with Kyvat on shaky ground and Shwartzman unlikely to get the Superlicence points required.
    I don’t think it’s politics, it’s purely $$$$
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Maybe they could build a better track then. The problem with Sochi is that it is boring, lacking in challenge, has no unique corners or decent elevation - it is totally flat. And I'm struggling to remember a decent race ever occurring there.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great driver with many attributes to admire, but undoubtedly capable of being a petulant bell end at times. Definitely had one of those days today. 
  • Options
    If you are a winner, it hurts to lose. If he reacted differently, he might not be the driver he is. He is an intelligent guy and will brush it off and look ahead when he calms down. He has shown he can do that and the struggles with Rosberg will have taught him valuable lessons in that respect. 
  • Options
    I don’t think him moaning is that bad , he was penalised quite harshly & thought it unjust then after a proper investigation the stewards agreed & took the points back off his license. 
    Not entirely his fault , as said on the commentary that rule 19.1 & 19.2 will be reworded next year
  • Options
    Mick Schumacher has confirmed that he'll be doing Free Practice 1 at the Nurburgring next week with Alfa Romeo

That going to be his seat for next season now, provided that he dont screw up?
  • Options
    Mick Schumacher has confirmed that he'll be doing Free Practice 1 at the Nurburgring next week with Alfa Romeo

Would be staggered if it's not announced before the end of the season. Looks a formality he's replacing Giovinazzi. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Would be staggered if it's not announced before the end of the season. Looks a formality he's replacing Giovinazzi. 
    Who do you think will partner him there? - Kimi?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Yeah I reckon Kimi gives it one more year , think if he was retiring he'd have announced it by now. 

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Yeah, Kimi still a big draw for them. Can see him staying.

With regards to seats, I'd be amazed if Perez isn't somewhere. Only seems like Haas is free though (I'd ditch them both for him and Hulk) unless Williams ditch Latiffi.
  • Options
    I can see them securing Perez and partnering him with Schumi Jr. 

Hulkenberg and Ilott at Haas perhaps? 

Kimi to retire, Grosjean and Magnussen to WEC or Formula E, Tsuonda to replace Kyvat at AlphaTauri I reckon
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I can see them securing Perez and partnering him with Schumi Jr. 

Hulkenberg and Ilott at Haas perhaps? 

Kimi to retire, Grosjean and Magnussen to WEC or Formula E, Tsuonda to replace Kyvat at AlphaTauri I reckon
    Would imagine that's pretty bang on with the Haas lineup. I don't think they take Shwartzman despite his existing Superlicence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think that Ilott has done enough to merit a seat in F1. Not been impressed this year. Too many off weekends. 
  • Options
    Don't really know what kind of backing Illot has behind him financially that could land him an F1 seat , Shwartzman brings big Russian sponsorship which could be attractive to Haas after their escapade with Rich Energy
  • Options
    Schwartzmann can't get the super licence points though can he? Reckon Ilott has more chance than Deletraz or Fittipaldi for the seat though (reserve and test drivers for Haas currently)

Thinking about it more, I wouldn't be surprised with Perez in a Haas (sponsorship and North America links) alongside someone like Ilott, and Hulkenberg and Mick in at Alfa. Either way, I expect at least 3 of the 4 names mentioned in F1 next season
  • Options
    Seems like Kimi is pretty much nailed on to stay for another year at this point, alongside Mick.

Hulk's best bet at a drive looks to be the 2nd Red Bull seat at the moment as Perez to Haas makes so much sense (even though he deserves a better car). Think they probably should, but seems they are giving Albon every chance to keep it so suspect they'll keep it the same, when they seem to be in that no mans land of pretty much guarenteed 2nd in the Constructors

Think Magnussen has actually been fine for Haas as a whole, and probably deserves another year but can see why they'd take the Ferrari driver for some extra money/parts.

Would expect...

Alfa - Kimi/Schumi Jr
    Haas - Perez + K Mag/Ilott
    Red Bull - Max + Albon
    Alpha Tauri - Gasly + Tsunoda
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Schwartzmann can't get the super licence points though can he? Reckon Ilott has more chance than Deletraz or Fittipaldi for the seat though (reserve and test drivers for Haas currently)

Thinking about it more, I wouldn't be surprised with Perez in a Haas (sponsorship and North America links) alongside someone like Ilott, and Hulkenberg and Mick in at Alfa. Either way, I expect at least 3 of the 4 names mentioned in F1 next season
    Shwartzman posted earlier the picture of his superlicence so it appears he does actually have a full one from winning F3 , which is a bit of a surprise. However I don't think it would do him too much harm to do another year of F2 like Mick has this year , just to iron out a few of his weaknesses like qualifying. 
  • Options
    Must have already been said but is crazy for Kimi if he sticks around.

If Schumacher becomes his team mate then he'd have raced against the Sons of:

Verstappen | Senna | Schumacher | Rosberg | Piquet
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Don't think Kimi is going anywhere. He's said he'll quit when he no longer enjoys it, and he still enjoys it. He's still pretty quick, plenty quick enough for a lower midfield team and faster than many of the younger drivers that have come into the sport in recent years. And he;s still good for a cuttingly blunt quote. I hope he sticks around a bit.

Would be good to see one of Perez Hulkenberg at Red Bull. I'm not a fan of Red Bull per say but Albon, nice lad that he seems to be, is miles away from getting amongst the Mercs like Verstappen can and they need a better number 2. Send Albon back to Alpha Tori alongside Gasley and bin Kvyatt.

Williams need an experienced driver too to help develop their car and get them back frighting for decent points.
  • Options

Pedant alert, Bruno Senna is Ayrton's Nephew, but I get what you mean. 
  • Options
    I’ve been keeping an eye on Mick Schumacher the last few years and forgive me for saying but he has shown nothing to me to suggest he will be anything other than a grid filler at best in F1.

His karting record was horrific and if he had a budget not befitting of an ex 7 time world champions son would have got nowhere. However he was carried up the ladder into the Prema seat in F3 which is the one everyone wants. And took 2 years to do anything in F2 when the top guys (Hamilton, Leclerc, Rosberg, Russell) won it straight up first time up.

Hamiltons junior record totally embarrasses Micks.

F1 will do whatever it takes to get him a decent F1 seat but in the same car against a top driver he will look bang average 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Pedant alert, Bruno Senna is Ayrton's Nephew, but I get what you mean. 
    Argh of course he is!! - Nope you're right that was silly of me to forget that one