Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    I’ve been keeping an eye on Mick Schumacher the last few years and forgive me for saying but he has shown nothing to me to suggest he will be anything other than a grid filler at best in F1.

His karting record was horrific and if he had a budget not befitting of an ex 7 time world champions son would have got nowhere. However he was carried up the ladder into the Prema seat in F3 which is the one everyone wants. And took 2 years to do anything in F2 when the top guys (Hamilton, Leclerc, Rosberg, Russell) won it straight up first time up.

Hamiltons junior record totally embarrasses Micks.

F1 will do whatever it takes to get him a decent F1 seat but in the same car against a top driver he will look bang average 
    I don't agree entirely, Schumi Jr's first season in F2 was full of scrapes, bad fortune and mechanical issues, not all of his own doing, and I think he used that time (and the very start of this season) to mature and realise that consistency is usually key in a championship. Yes he's not a firecracker like Hamilton and Leclerc are, but he's been getting result after result recently and is peaking at the right time, something all good drivers do
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I’ve been keeping an eye on Mick Schumacher the last few years and forgive me for saying but he has shown nothing to me to suggest he will be anything other than a grid filler at best in F1.

His karting record was horrific and if he had a budget not befitting of an ex 7 time world champions son would have got nowhere. However he was carried up the ladder into the Prema seat in F3 which is the one everyone wants. And took 2 years to do anything in F2 when the top guys (Hamilton, Leclerc, Rosberg, Russell) won it straight up first time up.

Hamiltons junior record totally embarrasses Micks.

F1 will do whatever it takes to get him a decent F1 seat but in the same car against a top driver he will look bang average 
    I don't agree entirely, Schumi Jr's first season in F2 was full of scrapes, bad fortune and mechanical issues, not all of his own doing, and I think he used that time (and the very start of this season) to mature and realise that consistency is usually key in a championship. Yes he's not a firecracker like Hamilton and Leclerc are, but he's been getting result after result recently and is peaking at the right time, something all good drivers do
    Yeah he’s not a Hamilton but how many in history have been?

maybe an unfair comparison but then again compare his junior career to:

Norris, Hulkenberg, Ocon, Ricciardo, Raikonnen, Sainz.

As it happens it wouldn’t surprise if the romantics in Ferrari don’t get him in their car in the next couple of years.

But with Leclerc in the other car it would be a blood bath 
  • Options
    It's going to be a shame for Carlos when he's out the door at Ferrari end of 22' because I can't see the top brass not wanting Mick. 
  • Options
    There's going to be some very very awkward meetings between Cyril Abietboul and Christian Horner after their last very public falling out.

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    There's going to be some very very awkward meetings between Cyril Abietboul and Christian Horner after their last very public falling out.

Ferrari and Mercedes won't want to supply engines to rivals, unless they are paying way over the odds for them. Any updates on VW Group or anyone else looking at entering the sport as an engine supplier? 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Ferrari and Mercedes won't want to supply engines to rivals, unless they are paying way over the odds for them. Any updates on VW Group or anyone else looking at entering the sport as an engine supplier? 
    We had a meeting at Alpha Tauri HQ to shoot some content a few weeks ago. The car park had about 20 brand new white VW SUVs parked in it.

just saying..... not saying there is anything in it but who knows.

they won’t get an F1 programme turned round in a year and a bit.

And if they do it would surely be under the Audi badge 
  • Options
    Rumours are BMW are interesting in re-entering F1.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Rumours are BMW are interesting in re-entering F1.
    Didn't they say earlier in the year it wouldn't be happening?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

We had a meeting at Alpha Tauri HQ to shoot some content a few weeks ago. The car park had about 20 brand new white VW SUVs parked in it.

Aren't the new engine regs designed with ease of access in mind? Not saying they can get it done in that time but I think the regs mean it's easier to get up and running
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Most likely, yes - but what about Porsche? Bentley? Lamborghini?

• Options
    Obviously the market will have a big impact, but it is strange with the cost cutting agreed for 2022 and a huge start from scratch possible, there haven't really been any rumours of any new teams joining at that stage.

Would be great to have some big manufacturers back in F1, the late 2000s was one of the most exciting times. Even though McLaren/Ferrari were the best two, you did feel that with their budgets that Honda/Toyota/BMW Sauber could financially compete and do something whereas now (hopefully the budget cut can reverse this somewhat) that a lot of the teams have a low ceiling
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Thought Id put this on a proper Motor racing thread rather than something to laugh at on the twitter one

• Options
    Wtf looked like a younger kid got steamed in to by the first twat and then an old fella steamed in to him , wtf is the back story to all that 
  • Options
    Wtf looked like a younger kid got steamed in to by the first twat and then an old fella steamed in to him , wtf is the back story to all that 
    Yeah not been able to find anything... Apparently the father of the kid in green owns that circuit so yet also read comments that the older fella who steams in is that father!! 
  • Options
    Read somewhere just now that he's 23 and the guy he steams into is 16. Geezer should be banned for life. 
  • Options
    Yep - Karting. Mad mad world.

As some may be aware I am heavily involved through my son who races British and European Champs in Rotax.

The sports is so bent and political it makes FIFA look exemplary.

Luca who threw the bodywork is in Karting cos his Dad owns the track it happened at.

at the event itself the FIA steward let him off without even a warning.

We have fights breaking out between parents in Parc Ferme all the time.

Yesterday Jacob got loaded going under the. bridge at PFI at 100mph (my sons 12). And both he and the kid who did it were out the race and me left with a £600 repair bill.

As per MSA guidelines I don’t get involved and just take the kart back.

Other kids old man goes in on Jacob hell for leather swearing at my son and calling him every word under the son.

word on the street is that he greases the palms of the circuit owner who is a business partner of the CEO of motorsport Uk.

nothing gets done about it.

Honestly the sport is for very rich people who think their kids gonna be the next Lewis when 9 times out of 10 they aren’t good enough.

Im over it tbh
  • Options
    Thanks for your views Damo 
    my odd son out 12 yo  (he’s not in to footy or cricket like the other 3) is in to his karting and at a super local low level Rye House he does a race once a month but does feel a few more oddballs about than I find at the others cricket and football clubs .

Good luck to your boy and you dealing with all the agg that comes with it , nowt so queer as folk
  • Options
    The guy’s packed in motorsport forever, probably for the best.

I saw a guy in a Caterham race try and run someone off the track at Druids hairpin at Brands Hatch a few years ago. There’d been a tussle on the previous lap and the guy just drove straight at him next time round. He just missed him and ended up stacking into the tyre wall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/54438395
  • Options

I saw a guy in a Caterham race try and run someone off the track at Druids hairpin at Brands Hatch a few years ago. There’d been a tussle on the previous lap and the guy just drove straight at him next time round. He just missed him and ended up stacking into the tyre wall.

Is that THE Felipe Massa who is FIA Karting President or just coincidence?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is that THE Felipe Massa who is FIA Karting President or just coincidence?
    The very same
  • Options
    Less extreme perhaps, but Vettel ramming Hamilton in Baku a few years ago. If stuff like that can happen at the very pinnacle if the sport, not surprised to hear of such a lack of self control lower down. That Corberi guy should be looking at criminal charges though, shocking behavior.
  • Options
    Raikkonen is signing a new deal with Alfa Romeo for the next year
  • Options
    This'll be a good Qualifying Session

Lance Stroll didnt show up for Practice this morning as isnt feeling well (doesnt appear to have COVID symptoms)

Hulkenburg is at home (50km away in Cologne), shows up an hour and a half ahead of Qualifying to take his place

Going to be good to see what time he gets
  • Options
    Murray Walker... 97 years old today!!... Absolute legend
  • Options
    Fair play to Bottas getting that pole.
  • Options
    Great lap from Bottas. Very early days as it’s only one race since his last win, but I wonder if we might be seeing Hamilton falter a bit now he’s one away from that record. He just seemed a touch tentative in qualifying. We’ve seen it before with strikers about to break goal scoring records, batsmen on 99 etc. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    thought verstappen must have lost it a bit in the last third of his last qualifying lap because he was up on the Mercedes until then. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Great lap from Bottas. Very early days as it’s only one race since his last win, but I wonder if we might be seeing Hamilton falter a bit now he’s one away from that record. He just seemed a touch tentative in qualifying. We’ve seen it before with strikers about to break goal scoring records, batsmen on 99 etc. 
    He was tentative by his standards, but I wouldn't write him off. He has had these sort of patches before but he comes back even stronger. I expect him to win tomorrow.