Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    He is not immediately likeable, or at least comes across in the media that way. 

There is no denying that he is a champion and one of our greatest sportsmen ever.

He needs the recognition of a knighthood.

Genuine question. What is it you find unlikeable about him?
    Genuine answer. I don't know.  I was talking more of the media and general opinion though, should of made it more obvious in the post.

Deserves all the plaudits that come his way though, no doubts there.
    That our wonderful media (or at least some of them), seek out and set about trying to stir up a dislike for someone who is doing well for themselves shouldn’t surprise anyone.
    They’ve been trying to dig some dirt on him for ages and up until now have come up with precious little, apart from some minor girlfriend stuff and gleefully stirring the shyte when he had the rift with his dad.
    Nothing the media like more than to diss some shyte on a major sports star, it’s a nice little earner.
    But they’ll keep trying that’s for sure, unfortunately he is a prime target. You get the feeling there’s some nasty little bimbo lurking out there who might fit the bill someday......wouldn’t surprise me one bit.
  • Options
    He is not immediately likeable, or at least comes across in the media that way. 

There is no denying that he is a champion and one of our greatest sportsmen ever.

He needs the recognition of a knighthood.

I can’t argue that lots seem to say that but I just don’t get it. He is articulate, polite, well spoken, and good. He is respectful of his opposition and always thanks his team and those that help him.

In my opinion he is one of the most likeable sportsmen we have but that’s the beauty of opinion I guess.
    I don’t think he’s any of those things, but he’s a fantastic racing driver
  • Options
    Great race to watch today, Hamilton amazing and pleased for Perez and Vettel also.
  • Options
    Surely he'll be in the new years honours list , I don't buy the wait until he retired angle because they didn't do that for Alistair Cook or Andy Murray.

Needs to be honours for Pete Bonnington,James Vowles and James Allison as well for helping mastermind this. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    What's not to like?

Lewis Hamilton comes across as humble, articulate, respectful and respected - and I can't imagine any on the grid saying otherwise.
    In a sport that is one of if not the most demanding in terms of strategy, tactics, skill, and physical demands, Lewis is, for me, unquestionably the greatest of all time.
    An immense achievement and still more to come - the whole country should be deeply proud of him, I certainly am.

I think the answer to why people don't like him is in all 3 lines of of your reason why people should. There are some in this world, (a lot of them actually), cant bring themselves to say good about anyone mildly successful. So when you get a guy like Hamilton it becomes impossible for them to the point of hate for them. You only have to look at the BBC's SPOTY, 6 times world Champion and not a sniff. If he doesn't get this year there should be some serious questions as to why not.

If they can make a West Ham CEO, (business guru ffs), a member of the House of Lords for ripping off a poor council I'm sure they can throw Lewis a lesser gong. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    @charltonkeston - I'm sure he has won SPOTY, but cant be arsed to Google it
  • Options
    Think he has also been runner up
  • Options
    His achievement is amazing. Schumacher's record looked impossible to beat. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    he won it 2014
  • Options
    I've got a feeling he is going to be knighted. Just a hunch, but there are very few sports stars that would have literally every newspaper screaming for it. 

Let's see.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    doubtless he would turn a knighthood down.

for all of formula 1’s shortcomings as a sport, this is a serious achievement and he deserves all the recognition in the world.  
  • Options
    He is an amazing driver but I have an issue with F1 in terms of the disparity between the cars which has grown over time. As a spectacle it's gradually got more boring.

Very hard to compare drivers from different eras - you can only be the best in you era.

Given what he's done it will be a travesty if he doesn't get a knighthood.
  • Options
    Got to be an obvious knighthood. Wonder if they'll give an honorary award to Toto? 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Got to be an obvious knighthood. Wonder if they'll give an honorary award to Toto? 
    You’re going to want one for the Tin Man next!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is a great driver and possibly the best of all time.
    But personally for me if anyone is put forward for a knighthood they should live and pay their taxes in the UK.
    This applies to sportsmen and women along with pop stars, actors and anyone else who moves abroad to avoid paying their taxes. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    But personally for me if anyone is put forward for a knighthood they should live and pay their taxes in the UK.
    This applies to sportsmen and women along with pop stars, actors and anyone else who moves abroad to avoid paying their taxes. 
    So should we get people to give back tonnes of expats knighthoods?

There is quite literally no point Lewis living in the UK. He is never here. He has multiple homes around the world and a recent study shows he pays taxes in at least 4 counties including the Uk. A lot of tax in the Uk.

It’s also a point of principle - if Alistair Cook gets one for being the 24th best batsmen in English history, Bradley Wiggins gets one, and Murray gets one for being the 4th best of his generation. It’s frankly laughable that Lewis has had to wait even this long.

There are millions of British ex pats living round the world and they are just as British as any of us and can be just as proud of their place of birth. It isn’t 1900 anymore.

Knighthoods are not a tax reward. I don’t know why it’s such an obsession with some people 
  • Options
    The honours system is ridiculous by its very nature - people arguing that Lewis shouldn't get an award because he's a tax exile seem to be implying there is some objective criteria.

On the basis of his sporting achievement he should get one as he's in a league of his own. I'd love it if he turned the honour down as it would wind people up even more.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I have actually been involved in putting the paperwork together for honours in a previous job. What I would say is an overworked civil servant has to put a case together within a demanding deadline and the ability to check the validity of a person's achievements is quite limited. With Hamilton those are there for all to see but with most of them you have to take a few people's word for it. Particularly for the lower ranking homours.

If I wanted one, I would know how to get one. Base it around charity work and big it up. If I was writing a submission for me, I'd embelish my time in grass routes football and all the poor kids I helped. Which would be nonsense, but get two or three people to back it/you up and you will get something and if you just miss out, you will get invited to a garden party at least. You can't write your own of course so somebody else would have to claim they wrote it. Give me three or four accomplices and I reckon I would have about a 75% chance of getting something.

Anyway, Hamilton's achievement is his record, not sharing an honour with the likes of Jimmy Savile.
  • Options
    So should we get people to give back tonnes of expats knighthoods?

There is quite literally no point Lewis living in the UK. He is never here. He has multiple homes around the world and a recent study shows he pays taxes in at least 4 counties including the Uk. A lot of tax in the Uk.

It’s also a point of principle - if Alistair Cook gets one for being the 24th best batsmen in English history, Bradley Wiggins gets one, and Murray gets one for being the 4th best of his generation. It’s frankly laughable that Lewis has had to wait even this long.

There are millions of British ex pats living round the world and they are just as British as any of us and can be just as proud of their place of birth. It isn’t 1900 anymore.

Knighthoods are not a tax reward. I don’t know why it’s such an obsession with some people 
    It's not an obsession it's an opinion and I stand by it.
  • Options
    I daresay there's a fair few "knights" (AKA mates of politicians) who do live in the UK but whose accounts/tax are off shore if they pay any at all.

And in the case of someone like Hamilton surely some consideration has to be made of his job necessitating lots of travel anyway. He's probably not going to be living in any one country for an extended period.
  • Options
    What is amazing about F1 is how the best drivers seem to always find themselves in the best car.