Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    For me he ruined the one to two salient points when he made the assertion that it’s like driving holding a cigar.

Also he says Lewis can’t compare with Phil Taylor. Yeah that’s right - the fat bloke who got charged with a sex crime! Ffs.

Ronnie is a skilled game player. Lewis is a sportsman.

I picked up a snooker cue for the first time in 20 years a few months back. I scored a wonderful break of 18! Yep I was shit but it wasn’t exactly a challenge to give it a go and do the basics.

Stick Ronnie in a Mercedes F1 car and I doubt he would make it off the line never mind round turn one. Never mind 60 laps.
  • Options
    For me he ruined the one to two salient points when he made the assertion that it’s like driving holding a cigar.

I picked up a snooker cue for the first time in 20 years a few months back. I scored a wonderful break of 18! Yep I was shit but it wasn’t exactly a challenge to give it a go and do the basics.

Stick Ronnie in a Mercedes F1 car and I doubt he would make it off the line never mind round turn one. Never mind 60 laps.
    F1 is not a level playing field and to get a seat in one of the 5 or 6 competitive cars is pretty impossible. That ultimately is the problem.

F1 fans invariably get very defensive when their sport is criticised. The less competitive it becomes the less of a spectacle it becomes.

Snooker is classified as a sport but obviously not by you. You don't need a multi million pound car and a team of mechanics to take part.

• Options
    edited November 2020

F1 is not a level playing field and to get a seat in one of the 5 or 6 competitive cars is pretty impossible. That ultimately is the problem.

F1 fans invariably get very defensive when their sport is criticised. The less competitive it becomes the less of a spectacle it becomes.

Snooker is classified as a sport but obviously not by you. You don't need a multi million pound car and a team of mechanics to take part.

F1 has always been like that. It’s part of the sport. For me I can balance off that as a fan, with my respect for any human being who can control such a beast of car.

I can see why non fans of the sport will belittle it - and I am sure that there will be thousands of people out there would disagree with my assessment of darts and snooker 
  • Options

F1 has always been like that. It’s part of the sport. For me I can balance off that as a fan, with my respect for any human being who can control such a beast of car.

I can see why non fans of the sport will belittle it - and I am sure that there will be thousands of people out there would disagree with my assessment of darts and snooker 
    I've been watching F1 since the 70s and its become more and more of a procession over time. The lack of competition is not a good thing and will detract from it as a spectacle.

The gap between the teams has got bigger in terms of budget and means a lot of the teams are simply making up the numbers.

Lewis is undoubtedly a fantastic driver but it would be interesting to see how he would have got on in a more competitive era. 
  • Options

Last Saturdays race was about as level as motor racing could ever be. The first and second drivers finished where there did because they were so much better at their sport than the rest of the field. Hamiltons team mate Botas, good driver that he is, had trouble keeping his car on the track and spun repeatedly. The rain is a great leveler where you can clearly see the best. 
    Yes - when you take away any kind of natural abrasion and grip from the tarmac all of the main differentials in F1 car performance (downforce, mechanical grip, power) are totally negated 
  • Options
    He is a great driver and possibly the best of all time.
    But personally for me if anyone is put forward for a knighthood they should live and pay their taxes in the UK.
    This applies to sportsmen and women along with pop stars, actors and anyone else who moves abroad to avoid paying their taxes. 
    @i_b_b_o_r_g has asked me to tell you to fuck off.
  • Options

I've been watching F1 since the 70s and its become more and more of a procession over time. The lack of competition is not a good thing and will detract from it as a spectacle.

The gap between the teams has got bigger in terms of budget and means a lot of the teams are simply making up the numbers.

Lewis is undoubtedly a fantastic driver but it would be interesting to see how he would have got on in a more competitive era. 
    Impossible to know of course, but I would expect him to have been competitive and likely the best in any era.
    I would also suggest that if the 20 drivers who started the last Grand Prix were all in identical cars at the next, Lewis would win comfortably.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    But personally for me if anyone is put forward for a knighthood they should live and pay their taxes in the UK.
    This applies to sportsmen and women along with pop stars, actors and anyone else who moves abroad to avoid paying their taxes. 
    Counting the days till I can get back and pay some British tax
  • Options

Maybe Ronnie O'Sullivan should have been a F1 driver. Far more money in it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    May I go on record as saying Ibborg fully deserves his Knighthood for all the years he paid tax from his shop in Grove park. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    May I go on record as saying Ibborg fully deserves his Knighthood for all the years he paid tax from his shop in Grove park. 
    What shop?
  • Options
    I get where Ronnie is coming from. In Darts, in Snooker and other sports like Tennis it is a completely level playing field and therefore the one who wins is the best, simple.

F1 is about so much more than just the driver and it's near impossible to say with certainty that Lewis is the best driver, gut feel he probably is, but impossible to prove, the best you can say is he's better than his team mate!
  • Options
    Reports breaking today that Lewis Hamilton will indeed receive a knighthood in the New Years honours.
  • Options
    George "Mr Saturday" Russell does it again
  • Options
    Another pole, 10th of the season and 98th of his career for Hamilton. 

Quarter of a second ahead of Bottas. It's definitely only down to the car though.......
    I mean it partly is. Stick him in a Haas or a Williams and he's not going to be on pole, not even close to it. But he's done incredibly well with the car and opportunity he has been given, which is what great drivers do. For me he's not the GOAT but he'd be in and around the top half dozen
  • Options
    Senna, Prost, Lauda, Moss, Schumacher, Hamilton, not necessarily in that order
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only F1 constructor who didn’t care who drove his cars was Frank Williams. He always believed in getting value for money, hence why so many drivers drove for Williams, won the championship and were then squeezed out (Mansell being the most obvious one).
    if you’ve got the best car on the grid you’re not going to give it to a rookie who might well put it in the wall week after week. if you build the best car you want the best driver in order to maximise your investment and chances to win!
    With the rapid development in technology you can’t compare drivers from one generation to the next. Each generation has its champions, but you can’t really compare Fangio and Lewis or Clark and Schumacher.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    OK - a new discussion. Most underrated drivers:

In no particular order

1) Damon Hill. Everyone mocks him as being a paper champion. That drive in an Arrows in Hungary suggests otherwise. Also let’s not forget Senna in 94 wasn’t exactly driving off in the Williams early season. Damon pulled the team up off his knees and would have won the title had Schumacher not engaged cheat mode in Adelaide.

2) Nico Rosberg. I wasn’t a huge fan but I think time has been kind to Nico. Yes he will admit he never had the pace of Lewis and needed a stroke of luck to win the title. But he pushed him consistently and in pure pace was at least close enough to make something when Hamilton hit problems. Qualy especially he was no pushover.

3) Nigel Mansell. Our Nige should have been a triple champion and then we would have been including him in the post above. Some of the greatest drives in history (including my personal greatest ever - 1987 Silverstone). As I say one tyre staying inflated and less mechanicals versus Piquet in 87 and it’s a different picture.

4) Daniel Ricciardo. Finished off a 4 time champion at ‘the team he built’. Matched Verstappen like no other. Think he may give Lando a bit of a hiding at Macca next season.

5) Jochen Rindt. Would have been a 3-4 time World Champion easily if not for his accident. A stark reminder that so many greats had their career cut short prematurely by crashes. 
  • Options
    OK - a new discussion. Most underrated drivers:

In no particular order

1) Damon Hill. Everyone mocks him as being a paper champion. That drive in an Arrows in Hungary suggests otherwise. Also let’s not forget Senna in 94 wasn’t exactly driving off in the Williams early season. Damon pulled the team up off his knees and would have won the title had Schumacher not engaged cheat mode in Adelaide.

2) Nico Rosberg. I wasn’t a huge fan but I think time has been kind to Nico. Yes he will admit he never had the pace of Lewis and needed a stroke of luck to win the title. But he pushed him consistently and in pure pace was at least close enough to make something when Hamilton hit problems. Qualy especially he was no pushover.

3) Nigel Mansell. Our Nige should have been a triple champion and then we would have been including him in the post above. Some of the greatest drives in history (including my personal greatest ever - 1987 Silverstone). As I say one tyre staying inflated and less mechanicals versus Piquet in 87 and it’s a different picture.

4) Daniel Ricciardo. Finished off a 4 time champion at ‘the team he built’. Matched Verstappen like no other. Think he may give Lando a bit of a hiding at Macca next season.

5) Jochen Rindt. Would have been a 3-4 time World Champion easily if not for his accident. A stark reminder that so many greats had their career cut short prematurely by crashes. 
    Damon was no poor Champion by any means... My Mum alone would slaughter anyone for suggesting it - I think I read recently that even Frank Williams called him one fast b*****d

'95 he had a poor year for sure and question as well if he was a bit rash diving for the gap in Adelaide rather than being a bit more patient but fully deserved his World Championship

Not to mention too that win @ Spa for Jordan
  • Options

Moss is a fashionable choice, but anyone who thinks he comes ahead of Clark when he never even won a title is barking mad.

This. Jim Clark was our greatest F! driver........ until Lewis Hamilton came along.

Hamilton is tactically the best driver on the grid. I've not seen a driver play the long game so well.
  • Options
    Horrible looking crash on lap 1 for Roman Grosjean, looked like the car exploded.

Has got out of the car apparently though
  • Options
    Jesus what a horrible start

Grosjean smashed into something that just burst into flames

Thankfully he's okay!! 
  • Options
    Horrible looking crash on lap 1 for Roman Grosjean, looked like the car exploded.

Has got out of the car apparently though
    Gonna take a while to clear surely what with the fuel that could have gone everywhere 
  • Options
    Jesus what a horrible start

Grosjean smashed into something that just burst into flames

Thankfully he's okay!! 
    Yeah, he’s walking which is great.

Very upsetting to watch 
  • Options
    Jesus.
    The impact literally ripped the car in half. Could have been tragic. Fortunately, not so.