Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heard a rumour at the weekend - Bolton about to go into Administration

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Poor sods. Good support from their fans at the Valley.
  • Options

An Ipswich supporting colleague today told me they are 80 million in debt - quite a surprise.

Is that a surprise? Ipswich ran up big debts under Keane and Jewell. It must have been close to £70m before McCarthy took over. They have a very wealthy owner who funded it, so I don't think they're at risk.

If that's a surprise, my understanding is that all of the following clubs have debts of over £60m, some significantly so.

Middlesbrough
    Hull
    Cardiff
    Brighton
    Forest
    QPR
    Blackburn
    Fulham
    Reading

There are a few more clubs that I think could be up there, but I'm not certain.

Bolton Wanderers will survive, in my opinion. May have a couple of rough seasons in League 1/2, but I don't see this going the way of Portsmouth, never mind Scarborough or Chester.
  • Options
    We're not all that far behind. Likely to be around £50M in our next accounts, I'd guess.
  • Options
    IA said:

An Ipswich supporting colleague today told me they are 80 million in debt - quite a surprise.

Is that a surprise? Ipswich ran up big debts under Keane and Jewell. It must have been close to £70m before McCarthy took over. They have a very wealthy owner who funded it, so I don't think they're at risk.

If that's a surprise, my understanding is that all of the following clubs have debts of over £60m, some significantly so.

Middlesbrough
    Hull
    Cardiff
    Brighton
    Forest
    QPR
    Blackburn
    Fulham
    Reading

There are a few more clubs that I think could be up there, but I'm not certain.

Bolton Wanderers will survive, in my opinion. May have a couple of rough seasons in League 1/2, but I don't see this going the way of Portsmouth, never mind Scarborough or Chester.
    The finances of Championship clubs are horrible, the PL gravy train massively distorting how football is run even outside the PL
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    How on earth did Bolton get to £173 million debt? And yet still be so boring!
  • Options

According to BBC Sport, "The Championship club are £172.9m in debt and under a transfer embargo for breaching Financial Fair Play rules".

They've avoided an immediate winding-up order from HMRC (who are owed £2.2m) until end of Feb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35342982

Not a great place to be unless they can find a buyer willing to write off £173,000,000........
    I think the Ipswich supporter was saying that Ipswich are £80m in debt rather than discussing Bolton
  • Options
    Can we swap Saŕr or Johnson for Dervitte?
  • Options
    IA said:

Bolton had a wealthy owner who funded it. Then he decided he wasn't going to fund it anymore.
  • Options

According to BBC Sport, "The Championship club are £172.9m in debt and under a transfer embargo for breaching Financial Fair Play rules".

They've avoided an immediate winding-up order from HMRC (who are owed £2.2m) until end of Feb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35342982

Not a great place to be unless they can find a buyer willing to write off £173,000,000........
    they don't have to though. the current owner is prepared to write off the existing debt but not prepared to fund further losses. I don't know what the cut off point was but practically all of that debt is covered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BBC reporting a buyer has been found.

Hopefully they will get something sorted before Fridays winding up order.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Hopefully not.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

No, I could really go for that 10 point deduction
    Yep
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Redrobo said:

We are gone regardless of what happens to Bolton.

The way I see it there are two options -

1) We go down with Bolton and they dont go bust
    2) We go down with Bolton and they go bust.
    If we go down, would rather another historic football club doesnt go the way of the dodo as well.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

We are gone regardless of what happens to Bolton.

The way I see it there are two options -

1) We go down with Bolton and they dont go bust
    2) We go down with Bolton and they go bust.
    If we go down, would rather another historic football club doesnt go the way of the dodo as well.
    Whilst we have a wimper I'd be quite happy to see them lose 10 points.
  • Options

Billy Manuel (Brentford +) used to play football with us on Blackheath on Monday nights (he was very good) and he loved a game of cards in the Rose of Denmark with us too. He brought Dean Holdsworth down one evening to join in the card school. Holds worth was hugely overdressed (as you can imagine) and looked well out of place but we welcomed him to the table and all pretended not to know who he was. At the time we had a game (can't remember the name) whereby, as a break from cards, someone would start by turning to the person on their left and touching their face with both hands in a certain way e.g.. squeezing both ears and drawing one imaginary stripe after another across their cheeks. The person who had just had their face 'drawn' on would then turn and repeat the same movements to the next person with the same hands and so on. If anyone failed to repeat the same movements in sequence they had to gulp half a pint down. The novice to the game wouldn't realise that the person sitting in front of them would be rubbing their fingers in cigarette ash and effectively blackening the novices face. Every time the game broke down, the new starter would look at the clean patches on the novices face in order to decide the next move. It might sound long-winded but it was hilarious and the concentrating novice would assume the hilarity was because of the defaulters having to down plenty of beer. Dean left a couple of hours later none the wiser to head off 'to a club." He came roaring back into the pub to clean his face, swearing loudly - he saw the funny side of it.

The Marx Brothers use to do that nearly 100 years ago, Harpo referred to the game "pinky-winky" in his autobiography, Harpo Speaks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    *breaking*
    Sold to sport shield group consortium for £7.5 million
  • Options
    Weird that anyone would pay more than £1 for them. In fact I would go so far as to say if anyone has they are not financially very astute and this may not be much of a saviour at all !
  • Options

Weird that anyone would pay more than £1 for them. In fact I would go so far as to say if anyone has they are not financially very astute and this may not be much of a saviour at all !

Presumably on assumption that debts are written off. They're probably now in a better position financially than us.
  • Options
    ^ true in terms of current debt???BUT, what are there yearly losses looking like? Huge I would think and will take time and money to turn around. Also, they are in Bolton.
  • Options
    So does that mean there won't be any points deducted?
  • Options
    Holdsworth has texted a friend of mine who used to play with holdsworth at redbridge to say that the deal is almost over the line.
    How do we get another consortium interested in our club ? Come on Roly. Jog on
  • Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but how does Dean Holdsworth, a man sentenced to 18 months for assaulting a woman, become a fit and proper person?
  • Options
    Roland proves that apparently being a fit and proper businessman doesn't make you a great chairman. Holdsworth is just the figurehead and not the money behind the deal.