Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SPOTY 2015

Comments

• Options
    IA said:

Wonder if the England Hockey girls will get a look in for team of the year.

Would be unusual to award it to an underage team.
    Underage? Underage to do what? Play sport?
  • Options

Greenie said:

Bloody disgrace, same old bollox.
    Danny Kent won Moto3, he's our first Motorcycling Grand Prix World Champion since Barry Sheene.
    Not a look in, instead we get this lot.

Not a look in because 99% of the country wouldn't have a clue who he was
    Never mind not knowing who he is, I don't even know what moto3 is. You can't win when people haven't heard of your sport
  • Options
    Riviera said:

But you said you preferred the old format, which is agreeing with me. Those programmes are just an example. Peripheral Awareness is a skill which is required in any sales job where the ability to strike up or join a conversation amongst customers or potential customers and show that you as the salesman/publican/business owner are aware of what is going on in the world, the whole world, politics, sport entertainment and popular culture. You don't need to know everything but just to be aware.

Yeah, same running a shop or pest control
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I haven't got much time for SPOTY. However, someone in a minority sport I love won the 'unsung hero' award yesterday.

Road racing is one of the most spectacular but dangerous sports in the world. At each event there was a man called Mr John Hinds, a 'flying doctor' who’d follow behind riders then rush to any incidents on track before anyone else could be there. As a trauma expert he saved many, many lives in world where hedges and lampposts are the run-off.

Amidst a campaign to get Northern Ireland its own air ambulance, he was killed this year whilst working at the Skerries races. I'm sure this award will mean a heck of a lot to his family and those close to him.

• Options
    Ennis-Hill, Sinfield, Armistead in that order and Leeds Rhinos as Team. You'll see where I am coming from here....
  • Options
    Andy Murray wins. Good for him I say.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    No surprise - the rugby lads must have voted well though to get Sinfield into 2nd.

Andy Murray polled 361,446 vote followed by:

Kevin Sinfield 278,353,

Jessica Ennis-Hill 79,898,

Tyson Fury 72,330,

Lewis Hamilton 48,379,

Chris Froome 39,007,

Mo Farah 31,311,

Max Whitlock 25,925,

Greg Rutherford 23,492,

Lizzie Armitstead 22,356,

Adam Peaty 13,738,

Lucy Bronze 13,236.
  • Options

No surprise - the rugby lads must have voted well though to get Sinfield into 2nd.

That was the plan. The Rugby League press have been pushing for everyone in Rugby League to vote for Sinfield and hopefully to get more people interested into the sport through playing and watching.

Probably the most coverage the sport has had ever on SPOTY.
  • Options
    Cried twice watching that. How did I miss the Bailey Matthews story earlier in the year??

Surprised Ennis didn't get more votes (my winner) and can't believe the amount of votes the rugby league guy got
  • Options
    Said to the wife whilst watching the tributes to those involved in sport that have left us this year that I hadn't realised that Alan Lee (formerly a cricket journo who switched to horse racing) had passed away. Then found out that it happened just yesterday.

RIP Alan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No argument with Murray winning the main award. Would have liked to see Jordan Speight win the overseas award considering he won 2 of the 4 majors and nearly won the other 2 as well.
  • Options
    Meant Jordan Speith!
  • Options
    Happy that Murray won.

I thought giving Michael O'Neil the coach award was fitting too, automatic qualification with that group of players was a superb achivement
  • Options

Happy that Murray won.

I thought giving Michael O'Neil the coach award was fitting too, automatic qualification with that group of players was a superb achivement

Agreed on O'Neil - a fantastic achievement - they have not been to any finals since 1986!
  • Options
    the bar is so high for this year's award, for me it's between Froome and Farah, especially as Murray has already won (twice) - I would go for Mo, he is now one of the world's all-time great athletes.
  • Options
    Froome won't win it, don't think there is a massive well of love for him, admiration yes, but people don't identify with him.

Team of the year will be the Women's hockey team
  • Options
    Salad said:

the bar is so high for this year's award, for me it's between Froome and Farah, especially as Murray has already won (twice) - I would go for Mo, he is now one of the world's all-time great athletes.

Dunno I really wouldnt discount Murray again... Was watching Sunday Brunch yesterday and Mark Cavendish was doing an Interview on there, one point he said that the British public seem to get behind the track cycling more than the road cycling (Comparing the two to Tennis and Squash) and because of that I dont think the public appreciate Froome that much.

I'd like to see Alistair Brownlee getting shortlisted

Women's Hockey Team have already won the Team Event I reckon.

The worst thing is that we've still got the Ryder Cup to come this year so anything can still happen (i.e. Justin Rose maybe?)
  • Options
    Think Farah is a great shout.
  • Options
    Other Olympic contenders: Jason Kenny, Laura Trott, Max Whitlock, Nicola Adams, Jade Jones. Even drawing up a shortlist will be tough.

I'd love to see Mo win it this time.
  • Options
    Salad said:

I'm not going to disagree with your choices, because it's a simple matter of personal preference. But I will make two points.

1. It's fantastic that you have come up with a strong list, but been able to leave off Trott, Kenny, Hamilton, Skelton, Rose and many, many others, any of whom would have staked a huge claim in other years.

2. This is the wrong thread for the 2016 SPOTY.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

Froome won't win it, don't think there is a massive well of love for him, admiration yes, but people don't identify with him.

Team of the year will be the Women's hockey team

Leicester deserve a mention surely? i'd say them winning the premier league when they were faves for the drop is a bigger achievement.
  • Options
    Chris Froome
    Alistair Brownlee
    Mo Farah
    Max Whitlock
    Maddie Hinch
    Laura Trott
    Jason Kenny
    Nicola Adams
    Justin Rose
    Andy Murray

Would be my shortlist for SPOTY this time round... Whats made it difficult is earlier in the week the BBC said that about 13 out of the 19 Olympic Gold Medalists from London 2012 had successfully defended their Gold Medal (Of course the other 10 hadnt competed yet)

So I hate to say but I cant see anyone who hasnt defended their Gold Medal from the Olympics (Other than Hinch / Whitlock who have won Gold in fields we've not managed for decades) being nominated
  • Options
    The track cyclists suffer in such votes from
    a) the whole team winning loads of medals, thus diminishing the effect
    b) the feeling that competing in such a successful team makes it "easier"

Chris Froome isn't British! When there are so many other SPOTY competitors out there, he'll never win

If Andy Murray beats Djokovic to win the US Open and becomes World No 1, he'll be hard to beat

Really hard to whittle it down to 10, but how about

Murray
    Mo
    Trott
    Kenny
    Whitlock
    Peattie
    Skelton
    Willets?
    Gareth Bale
    Brownlee
  • Options
    Whats worse is I've only just realised that you've the Paralympics to come so no doubt you'll get two or three from there who can be added to the shortlist!!...

Might have to remove: Rose plus two others from my list to accommodate them, just dont know who they should be (Maybe Trott / Kenny?)
  • Options
    Got the Ryder Cup to come yet, too.
  • Options
    Christ yeah never thought about Gareth Bale being an option!!

Maybe this year it should be an extended competition where the Olympians and Paralympians go into their own vote a week or two prior to SPOTY and then the top two / three from each then get put into the overall Shortlist on the night
  • Options
    You can rule out Brownlee, Skelton and Adams from the above lists. The public are never going to vote for a triathlete, a female boxer and a show jumper!!

Would say it'll come down to the more well known. Murray, Farah and now Trott and Kenny.
  • Options
    Would like to see Mo or Max Whitlock win it but Murray is still favourite for me especially if he wins the US Open as well.
  • Options
    Fuck the Olympics, this is between Willett and Murray
  • Options
    (Granted, Mo Farah will win, but seeing these shortlists full of Olympians is upsetting for me)