Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SPOTY 2015

Comments

• Options
    Peaty?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

Maybe add Carl Crutchlow to the list... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/37148661

It has to be Cal Crutchlow, first English Blue Riband MotoGP since the late great Barry Sheene.
    For those unaware this is the equivalent of Murray winning Wimbledon or England the World Cup.
    Not a bloody word of it on the main sports updates though, we really are an institutionalised bunch when it comes to sport in this country.

Cycling? Please do me a favour, not for me.

Murray will win it though, although I think Anthony Joshua should be in with a shout too.
    I presume that is a joke as he languishes in 10th spot a mere 131 points behind the leader.

1 Marc Marquez Repsol Honda 197
    2 Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha 144
    3 Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha 138
    4 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda 109
    5 Maverick Vinales Team Suzuki Ecstar 100
    6 Andrea Iannone Ducati Team 96
    7 Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 81
    8 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team 79
    9 Hector Barbera Avintia Racing 76
    10 Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda 66

No mate he's just become the first English rider to win a MotoGP since Barry Sheene 35 years ago, hence I equate it to Murray or the World Cup.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

Maybe add Carl Crutchlow to the list... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/37148661

It has to be Cal Crutchlow, first English Blue Riband MotoGP since the late great Barry Sheene.
    For those unaware this is the equivalent of Murray winning Wimbledon or England the World Cup.
    Not a bloody word of it on the main sports updates though, we really are an institutionalised bunch when it comes to sport in this country.

Murray will win it though, although I think Anthony Joshua should be in with a shout too.
    I presume that is a joke as he languishes in 10th spot a mere 131 points behind the leader.

No mate he's just become the first English rider to win a MotoGP since Barry Sheene 35 years ago, hence I equate it to Murray or the World Cup.
    Wait, but 'a MotoGP' do you mean one race?
  • Options

Same with in 2012 the Team Award went to the whole of the Olympics and Paralymics team.

Might as well just forget that one this year then!!

that was the first year the award had been decided by an expert panrl so I think they played it safe. It's hard to see beyond Leicester this time round

and really can't see beyond Murray in a public vote with Farah snd Trott just behind splitting the Olympic vote
  • Options
    Greenie said:

MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

How many races jn the season?
    I presume more than the four slams that Murray competes in?
  • Options

Greenie said:

MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

Yep one race
  • Options
    Ok, so nothing like Murray winning a slam or us winning the World Cup.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Not really, more like something you don't understand, I would have thought that the 35 years since our last win might have given you a clue as to how difficult it is......oh well...!
  • Options
    I don't think we have enough "personalities" in sport to warrant holding this every year. Perhaps every 4-5
  • Options

Greenie said:

MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

Yet its not been done by a Brit in 35-years now... Barry Sheene was the last to do it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So just because we traditionally are not very good at Moto GP makes someone winning ONE race a more impressive feat than the likes of Murray, Trott etc etc winning world class level competitions on the biggest stages?
  • Options

So just because we traditionally are not very good at Moto GP makes someone winning ONE race a more impressive feat than the likes of Murray, Trott etc etc winning world class level competitions on the biggest stages?

Where do I say that its impressive... I'm just throwing names into the ring for who could be shortlisted.

Lewis Hamilton has been shortlisted a few times when he's not won the F1 Title
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    You cannot compare the World Cup or Wimbledon to a motorsport race. The former are tournaments taking place over a course of two or more weeks with repeated games. A race is a race, excluding preliminary drives such as qualifying. There are 18 races across the championship. Winning one race doesn't mean you are considered arguably the best in the world (unlike the World Cup and Wimbledon, both the most prestigious championships in their respective fields). I doubt Cal is sitting there wondering when he's going to get his knighthood and his gushing tribute from Clare Balding just for winning one race.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Not really, more like something you don't understand, I would have thought that the 35 years since our last win might have given you a clue as to how difficult it is......oh well...!
    Just looked it up. He has won ONE race out of 98! By contrast Rossi has won 88 from around 280 races and Marquez has won 27 out of 65.
    I don't think our guy will be getting any awards in a hurry.

It'd be like giving a random lower ranked brit tennis player SPOTY just because he somehow won Queens.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Fuck the Olympics, this is between Willett and Murray

In the year when we had our best ever away Olympics medal haul and beat a country with a population of over 1 billion.........
    'We' 'beat' TWO countries with a population of over 1 billion, because we're a rich, sport-obsessed nation that pours money into niche events in order to secure medals, for no other purpose than nationalistic dickwaving. Meanwhile, Andy Murray is by far GB's finest sportsperson in decades, playing something that people actually care about more than once every 4 years, AND it turns out he got an Olympic gold too! (I didn't even know!)

But yeah, medals! Glory! Let's put more money into cycling! They have LOADS of cycling events these days, and events mean medals! Yay! Everyone loves track cycling now! Oh wait, where've they-
    I've read this, and thought about it and- I think you've ruined sport for me. Isn't that what all sport is about? I don't get what point you're making. In athletics (and boxing) it's all born out of a conversation where some guys said "I can run faster than you" / "Yeah, well I can run faster over a longer distance" / "Well I can jump higher than you" / "Well I can jump FURTHER than you" / "I will punch you until you fall over!!"

The entire point of every sport that has ever been played is for the winners to be able to say "We are better than you".
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Greenie said:

Just looked it up. He has won ONE race out of 98! By contrast Rossi has won 88 from around 280 races and Marquez has won 27 out of 65.

It'd be like giving a random lower ranked brit tennis player SPOTY just because he somehow won Queens.
    No it wouldn't. Ill do it again, its because he won our first MotoGP race in 35 years. What is so difficult to understand.

Not at all, traditionally MotoGP has been dominated by France, Spain, Italy we have had seconds and thirds etc, but never won a race in 35 years. I remember when Wiggins won the Tour de France drug taking competition, everyone was knocking one out over it because it was the first time (for ages?). That is one race, this was one race, and the achievement should not be underestimated. But like I say most of you have never ridden a Motorcycle, so cannot possibly understand the level of skill and bravery that these guys need just to get top 10.
    Anyway Murray will win it, quite rightly.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Greenie said:

riiiiight, so you're saying a period of time of how shit we are at something then determines how big an achievement it is when we do win it?? Probably why i'm having difficulty understanding it!

Max Whitlock should piss it then, cos he was Britain's first gold medal on floor gymnastics for 108 years.

• Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

No it wouldn't. Ill do it again, its because he won our first MotoGP race in 35 years. What is so difficult to understand.

Not at all, traditionally MotoGP has been dominated by France, Spain, Italy we have had seconds and thirds etc, but never won a race in 35 years. I remember when Wiggins won the Tour de France drug taking competition, everyone was knocking one out over it because it was the first time (for ages?). That is one race, this was one race, and the achievement should not be underestimated. But like I say most of you have never ridden a Motorcycle, so cannot possibly understand the level of skill and bravery that these guys need just to get top 10.
    You're seriously comparing a 21 day race to a race that takes less than an hour
  • Options
    Motor racing , I mean each to his own but petrol headzzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SPOTY shouldn't go to a British person winning something others always win. It should be awarded for performances by a British athlete that would be extraordinary for anyone to achieve. Sorry Cal, good effort but win a championship and we'll talk :p
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Fuck the Olympics, this is between Willett and Murray

In the year when we had our best ever away Olympics medal haul and beat a country with a population of over 1 billion.........
    'We' 'beat' TWO countries with a population of over 1 billion, because we're a rich, sport-obsessed nation that pours money into niche events in order to secure medals, for no other purpose than nationalistic dickwaving. Meanwhile, Andy Murray is by far GB's finest sportsperson in decades, playing something that people actually care about more than once every 4 years, AND it turns out he got an Olympic gold too! (I didn't even know!)

But yeah, medals! Glory! Let's put more money into cycling! They have LOADS of cycling events these days, and events mean medals! Yay! Everyone loves track cycling now! Oh wait, where've they-
    I've read this, and thought about it and- I think you've ruined sport for me. Isn't that what all sport is about? I don't get what point you're making. In athletics (and boxing) it's all born out of a conversation where some guys said "I can run faster than you" / "Yeah, well I can run faster over a longer distance" / "Well I can jump higher than you" / "Well I can jump FURTHER than you" / "I will punch you until you fall over!!"

The entire point of every sport that has ever been played is for the winners to be able to say "We are better than you".
    No, the point of sport is that there is winning and losing. What you're talking about is the ugly, triumphalist side of sport that should be reserved for Palace, Millwall and Australia
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Thing is Greenie me ol' mucker, is that whilst I agree the TdF is "one race" it is many many stages, and to win even a stage is difficult enough, and a true test of wits, skill, endurance and athleticism, whereas sitting on a motorbike and going round in circles faster than everyone else in a single race, whilst still a difficult achievement, can be influenced far more than a month long race around an entire country. All it takes is his bike to be in a decent setup, or a crash where the lead 2 or 3 riders get taken out, to win. This is the same for a single stage in the TdF, but that's a small percentage of the whole race.

If he won the entire championship, that's a different story.

Imagine by hook or by crook Joylon Palmer wins a race for Renault this year in Formula 1, in a car that is clearly underpowered compared to the rest of the field, should he also be shortlisted for SPOTY?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    sam3110 said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Thing is Greenie me ol' mucker, is that whilst I agree the TdF is "one race" it is many many stages, and to win even a stage is difficult enough, and a true test of wits, skill, endurance and athleticism, whereas sitting on a motorbike and going round in circles faster than everyone else in a single race, whilst still a difficult achievement, can be influenced far more than a month long race around an entire country. All it takes is his bike to be in a decent setup, or a crash where the lead 2 or 3 riders get taken out, to win. This is the same for a single stage in the TdF, but that's a small percentage of the whole race.

If he won the entire championship, that's a different story.

Imagine by hook or by crook Joylon Palmer wins a race for Renault this year in Formula 1, in a car that is clearly underpowered compared to the rest of the field, should he also be shortlisted for SPOTY?
    HaHa, look mate, just by reading your post you have no idea about motorbike racing, and also by adding your comment about Jolyon palmer maybe winning a race, you dont get why Crutchlow should at least be nominated for SPOTY, i will say it, just once more for you.....its 35 years (that last bit, just before the opening parenthesises is the crux) since an Englishman won a blue riband race.
    The sport is massive with huge race attendances averaging 120,000 per race, in Brno, Czech republic (the circuit where Cal won his race) there was close to 250,000 attending.
    FWIW I've done many miles on UK circuits and been on track with British and World Superbike guys (Superbike is equivalent to say The Championship), Im smashing respectable lap times at Brands, and they come past me like I'm not there, the skill that these guys have controlling 240 horsepower is extraordinary, and Moto Gp is the next level, but if your not interested it dont matter what I say.
    Also The Tour de France cannot be taken seriously because they are all appear to be geared up, as it would appear are most cycling events, so is a non sporting event.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah but could any of them dribble past 3 defenders at Stoke on a cold rainy Tuesday night and chip the keeper from 30 yards?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Yeah but could any of them dribble past 3 defenders at Stoke on a cold rainy Tuesday night and chip the keeper from 30 yards?

Crutchlow could he was on Coventrys books as a teenager.
  • Options

Greenie said:

riiiiight, so you're saying a period of time of how shit we are at something then determines how big an achievement it is when we do win it?? Probably why i'm having difficulty understanding it!

Max Whitlock should piss it then, cos he was Britain's first gold medal on floor gymnastics for 108 years.

Exactly and thats why he should be nominated.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I'll accept nominated. I cant be having it being compared to Murray winning a slam or us winning the World Cup tho.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I'll accept nominated. I cant be having it being compared to Murray winning a slam or us winning the World Cup tho.
    It doesn't really matter what you cant be having, because you dont understand the significance.
  • Options
    Winning Wimbledon - can be considered the best in the world
    Whoever wins the World Cup - can be considered the best in the world
    Winning one race out of 18 in a season...

Well I don't understand so please fill in the blank accordingly.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Winning Wimbledon - can be considered the best in the world
    Whoever wins the World Cup - can be considered the best in the world
    Winning one race out of 18 in a season...

Well I don't understand so please fill in the blank accordingly.

Oh Fiiishy you do like to stir it up you little fence sitter you........