Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SPOTY 2015

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Can anyone be ruled out on the basis of their unlike able personality?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

sam3110 said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Ok, so nothing like Murray winning a slam or us winning the World Cup.

Not really, more like something you don't understand, I would have thought that the 35 years since our last win might have given you a clue as to how difficult it is......oh well...!
    Just looked it up. He has won ONE race out of 98! By contrast Rossi has won 88 from around 280 races and Marquez has won 27 out of 65.
    I don't think our guy will be getting any awards in a hurry.

It'd be like giving a random lower ranked brit tennis player SPOTY just because he somehow won Queens.
    No it wouldn't. Ill do it again, its because he won our first MotoGP race in 35 years. What is so difficult to understand.

So just because we traditionally are not very good at Moto GP makes someone winning ONE race a more impressive feat than the likes of Murray, Trott etc etc winning world class level competitions on the biggest stages?

Not at all, traditionally MotoGP has been dominated by France, Spain, Italy we have had seconds and thirds etc, but never won a race in 35 years. I remember when Wiggins won the Tour de France drug taking competition, everyone was knocking one out over it because it was the first time (for ages?). That is one race, this was one race, and the achievement should not be underestimated. But like I say most of you have never ridden a Motorcycle, so cannot possibly understand the level of skill and bravery that these guys need just to get top 10.
    Anyway Murray will win it, quite rightly.
    Thing is Greenie me ol' mucker, is that whilst I agree the TdF is "one race" it is many many stages, and to win even a stage is difficult enough, and a true test of wits, skill, endurance and athleticism, whereas sitting on a motorbike and going round in circles faster than everyone else in a single race, whilst still a difficult achievement, can be influenced far more than a month long race around an entire country. All it takes is his bike to be in a decent setup, or a crash where the lead 2 or 3 riders get taken out, to win. This is the same for a single stage in the TdF, but that's a small percentage of the whole race.

If he won the entire championship, that's a different story.

Imagine by hook or by crook Joylon Palmer wins a race for Renault this year in Formula 1, in a car that is clearly underpowered compared to the rest of the field, should he also be shortlisted for SPOTY?
    HaHa, look mate, just by reading your post you have no idea about motorbike racing, and also by adding your comment about Jolyon palmer maybe winning a race, you dont get why Crutchlow should at least be nominated for SPOTY, i will say it, just once more for you.....its 35 years (that last bit, just before the opening parenthesises is the crux) since an Englishman won a blue riband race.
    The sport is massive with huge race attendances averaging 120,000 per race, in Brno, Czech republic (the circuit where Cal won his race) there was close to 250,000 attending.
    FWIW I've done many miles on UK circuits and been on track with British and World Superbike guys (Superbike is equivalent to say The Championship), Im smashing respectable lap times at Brands, and they come past me like I'm not there, the skill that these guys have controlling 240 horsepower is extraordinary, and Moto Gp is the next level, but if your not interested it dont matter what I say.
    Also The Tour de France cannot be taken seriously because they are all appear to be geared up, as it would appear are most cycling events, so is a non sporting event.
    I don't think anyone is questioning the guys ability or that he's talented enough to reach world level in his sport. Just that compared to what other Brits have done, and indeed what other MotoGP riders have done, his achievement comes way down the list.
    To be honest when you have a guy (who is obviously unreal) who came into the sport and won the world title in his first year and has won 27 of 65 races, then for Britain to go 35 years without winning even 1 race is a bit pathetic.
  • Options
    Doesn't matter if it's 35 days, weeks, years since the last time it happened. If Redding wins at Silverstone, does it count less because Crutchlow won the last race, so there was only 3 weeks between the last British winner and this win?

No.

Should he win, should Redding also be nominated for winning a single race in MotoGP, thus going in to the shortlist ahead of multi time world champions in their sports, or Olympians that retain gold medals?

No.
  • Options
    I'm a big Moto GP fan and it was a wonderful win by Cal at the weekend but it's not comparable to some of the other athletes achievements mentioned above.

Would he have won if it wasn't a wet race? No chance. He rode absolutely brilliantly but his choice of going for hard wet tyres front and back when others didn't was critical in the win.
  • Options
    Ditto the golfer bloke for me, but less so as at least he has won some lesser challenges as well as the Masters.
  • Options
    Surely winning one Moto GP race is the equivalent of winning one match at Wimbledon (actually, as you have eighteen opportunities to win a "match" in Moto GP but only about six in Wimbledon it's more the equivalent of winning one set).

Plus Moto GP is absolute bobbins, not even the most popular motor sport, and this blokes relative lack of success it seems highly unlikely that he would win SPOTY in a normal year let alone 2016!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Winning Wimbledon - can be considered the best in the world
    Whoever wins the World Cup - can be considered the best in the world
    Winning one race out of 18 in a season...

Well I don't understand so please fill in the blank accordingly.

Oh Fiiishy you do like to stir it up you little fence sitter you........
    I'll be candid - I don't think winning one Moto GP race makes you as great as winning the World Cup or Wimbledon from purely a sporting achievement perspective, no matter how long it has been since a Brit last won it.

But, I do agree with you that motorsport requires you to be an absolutely phenomenal human being at the highest level, especially motorcycle. I could not possibly imagine the sheer combination of grit, nerve, fearlessness, reflexes, determination and talent that the top riders have. Murray might be a fantastic athlete but tennis is nowhere near motorsport in terms of how much it takes for someone both physically and mentally. And to win one race at the highest level is an achievement in itself, so he should at least be nominated.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Not really, more like something you don't understand, I would have thought that the 35 years since our last win might have given you a clue as to how difficult it is......oh well...!
    riiiiight, so you're saying a period of time of how shit we are at something then determines how big an achievement it is when we do win it?? Probably why i'm having difficulty understanding it!

Max Whitlock should piss it then, cos he was Britain's first gold medal on floor gymnastics for 108 years.

Exactly and thats why he should be nominated.
    I'll accept nominated. I cant be having it being compared to Murray winning a slam or us winning the World Cup tho.
    It doesn't really matter what you cant be having, because you dont understand the significance.
    No you are right. The nation will still be talking about that race in 35 years time.
  • Options
    'Tennis is nowhere near in terms of how much it takes for someone both physically and mentally'

Are you sure about this?

They are clearly different and neither are preferred sports of mine. Both require heavy physical conditioning and mental strength/confidence.

Tennis required extreme physicality in short bursts and mental strength over the extended period of the match.

Moto GP requires more continuous perfection over the race and similar mental strength.

I wouldnt rate one necessarily higher than the other.

• Options
    Make a mistake in tennis and it's a double fault.

The consequences of a mistake in MotoGP can be fatal.

I know which I'd rather participate in after a couple of Pimms.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Make a mistake in tennis and it's a double fault.

The consequences of a mistake in MotoGP can be fatal.

I know which I'd rather participate in after a couple of Pimms.

I've seen your dodgem driving after one kir and that was dangerous enough.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Greenie said:

is it really that difficult? loads of other people have managed it

how many riders in a race, 20? so on average after 98 races you'd expect 4-5 wins. he's not getting spoty for 1 win
  • Options
    It will be close but if Murray wins the American open and we retain the Davis Cup then surely (my admitted tennis bias apart) it has to be game over?
  • Options

Can anyone be ruled out on the basis of their unlike able personality?

You only get one Tyson Fury every generation
  • Options
    It is very tough for non Olympians to win in an Olympic year

72 Mary Peters
    76 John Curry
    80 Robin Cousins
    84 Torville + Dean
    88 Steve Davies (Adrian Moorhouse runner up)
    92 Nigel Mansell (Linford Christie runner up)
    92 Damon Hill (Steve Redgrave runner up)
    00 Steve Redgrave
    04 Kelly Holmes
    08 Chris Hoy
    12 Bradley Wiggins
  • Options
    Gosh, whatever happened to the days when we were world beaters in figure skating?!