Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SPOTY 2015

Comments

• You can rule out Brownlee, Skelton and Adams from the above lists. The public are never going to vote for a triathlete, a female boxer and a show jumper!!

Would say it'll come down to the more well known. Murray, Farah and now Trott and Kenny.

Skelton will gain votes on the "journey" and "human story" factor

I don't see a golfer doing well, McIlroy was beaten by Hamilton in the year he won 2 majors
  • You can rule out Brownlee, Skelton and Adams from the above lists. The public are never going to vote for a triathlete, a female boxer and a show jumper!!

Would say it'll come down to the more well known. Murray, Farah and now Trott and Kenny.

Yeah I dont think people will be bothered by Brownlee... The only way he'll get any attention is if the BBC turn round and say: Imagine what Mo Farah does and then add a swim and bike ride on top of that, even then I dont see it getting him votes.

For some reason I dont even see Mo Farah winning it as he's been shortlisted a few times and has never got into the top three.

You can rule out Brownlee, Skelton and Adams from the above lists. The public are never going to vote for a triathlete, a female boxer and a show jumper!!

They'll need to go into detail about the journey and human story factor prior to the vote as I know nothing about him myself
  • Leuth said:

Fuck the Olympics, this is between Willett and Murray

Murray the double Olympic gold medallist?
  • Leuth said:

In the year when we had our best ever away Olympics medal haul and beat a country with a population of over 1 billion.........
  • Leuth said:

In the year when we had our best ever away Olympics medal haul and beat a country with a population of over 1 billion.........
    Don't, there's probably not enough recognition of ethnic lesbian vegetarians or some shit.
  • Murray.Mo & Kenny for me in that order.
  • Murray will stroll it
  • Leuth said:

'We' 'beat' TWO countries with a population of over 1 billion, because we're a rich, sport-obsessed nation that pours money into niche events in order to secure medals, for no other purpose than nationalistic dickwaving. Meanwhile, Andy Murray is by far GB's finest sportsperson in decades, playing something that people actually care about more than once every 4 years, AND it turns out he got an Olympic gold too! (I didn't even know!)

But yeah, medals! Glory! Let's put more money into cycling! They have LOADS of cycling events these days, and events mean medals! Yay! Everyone loves track cycling now! Oh wait, where've they-

Yeah I dont think people will be bothered by Brownlee... The only way he'll get any attention is if the BBC turn round and say: Imagine what Mo Farah does and then add a swim and bike ride on top of that, even then I dont see it getting him votes.

For some reason I dont even see Mo Farah winning it as he's been shortlisted a few times and has never got into the top three.

You can rule out Brownlee, Skelton and Adams from the above lists. The public are never going to vote for a triathlete, a female boxer and a show jumper!!

They'll need to go into detail about the journey and human story factor prior to the vote as I know nothing about him myself
    Anyone who watched the Olympics will be aware, and even those who didn't will be interested in the oldest British Gold medalist since 1908, his recovery from a broken neck etc

Skelton won't win it, but will get a decent number of votes if nominated
  • Sponsored links:

• Skelton - life time achievement award
    Women's hockey team - Team award
    Farah - SPOTY
  • Shortlist is chosen by panel of journalists and sports commentators: coaches etc.
    They all choose their list and the ones with most nominations get on the list for public vote.

I imagine any who won multi medals at this Olympics will be there:

Whitlock
    Trott
    Kenny
    Peaty
    Laugher.
    Farah

Then Murray - Wimbledon and Gold
    Hamilton if wins title then other Olympians.

Current odds are:
    Murray 11/8
    Farah 11/4
    Trott 7/1

• edited August 2016

Skelton - life time achievement award
    Women's hockey team - Team award
    Farah - SPOTY

I hope the England football team win the best team prize. It'll give everyone a chance to give them a slow handclap as they shuffle up to collect their, err 'award'.
  • Willett? he wouldn't be on my list.

Golf isn't a sport I either play much or watch much. I reckon a few days of majors a year and the Ryder cup.

I had to google why he would be on anyone's lost.

Fair enough, he won the Masters and winning a single golf major particularly since it's ages since a European won that tournament is impressive. He seems to have massively improved his golf over the last couple of years.

If he wins another major this year, I'd think about it.

Didn't do so well in the Olympic events ;) fair play to him for turning up.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

'We' 'beat' TWO countries with a population of over 1 billion, because we're a rich, sport-obsessed nation that pours money into niche events in order to secure medals, for no other purpose than nationalistic dickwaving. Meanwhile, Andy Murray is by far GB's finest sportsperson in decades, playing something that people actually care about more than once every 4 years, AND it turns out he got an Olympic gold too! (I didn't even know!)

But yeah, medals! Glory! Let's put more money into cycling! They have LOADS of cycling events these days, and events mean medals! Yay! Everyone loves track cycling now! Oh wait, where've they-
    In my opinion that's a good reason to celebrate these successes. Unless you follow sports like track cycling, I don't think the wider public knows how much dedication those athletes give. The divers that won gold, who cares whether or not their sports are popular or that we only pay attention to them once every 4 years. The fact is they highlight how much time and dedication the athletes put in and they should be recognised for that.

I'm not saying that Murray doesn't work just as hard, or isn't as dedicated, but I think we should use SPOTY as an opportunity to shine the light on the successes of less popular sports.
  • Rothko said:

Froome won't win it, don't think there is a massive well of love for him, admiration yes, but people don't identify with him.

Team of the year will be the Women's hockey team

Leicester deserve a mention surely? i'd say them winning the premier league when they were faves for the drop is a bigger achievement.
    Northants winning the T20 no mean feat either...
  • cabbles said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

In my opinion that's a good reason to celebrate these successes. Unless you follow sports like track cycling, I don't think the wider public knows how much dedication those athletes give. The divers that won gold, who cares whether or not their sports are popular or that we only pay attention to them once every 4 years. The fact is they highlight how much time and dedication the athletes put in and they should be recognised for that.

I'm not saying that Murray doesn't work just as hard, or isn't as dedicated, but I think we should use SPOTY as an opportunity to shine the light on the successes of less popular sports.
    The other day I posted that the Olympics are at their best a way for niche sports to get some profile. But what you're saying is that it isn't enough to enjoy diving or handball or whatever, no matter who's playing - you're saying that GB have to win, and only then was it worth the watch, because only that way do we as a public find reason to care. Which is sad if true.
  • Maybe add Carl Crutchlow to the list... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/37148661

It has to be Cal Crutchlow, first English Blue Riband MotoGP since the late great Barry Sheene.
    For those unaware this is the equivalent of Murray winning Wimbledon or England the World Cup.
    Not a bloody word of it on the main sports updates though, we really are an institutionalised bunch when it comes to sport in this country.

Cycling? Please do me a favour, not for me.

Murray will win it though, although I think Anthony Joshua should be in with a shout too.
  • Farah, Murray, Whitlock, Kenny and Trott.

Happy to see any of these win it.
  • Will Grigg.

But seriously it should be any of Murray/Farah/Trott/Kenny or Bale.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Welsh football team winning the Team Award too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

cabbles said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

The other day I posted that the Olympics are at their best a way for niche sports to get some profile. But what you're saying is that it isn't enough to enjoy diving or handball or whatever, no matter who's playing - you're saying that GB have to win, and only then was it worth the watch, because only that way do we as a public find reason to care. Which is sad if true.
    I think it's more that I want to see the Olympians recognised post Rio, to keep their and their sport's profile up.

Murray is a prominent sports personality for most of the year, there's no disputing what he's achieved.

I think in the interest of encouraging a more diverse pool of young talent spread across different, minority sports the SPOTY for me firmly belongs to Farah, Kennny, Trott or potentially Whitlock. Why not?

I think it will either go to Farah or Murray, but would like it to go to one of our Olympians of a less popular sport. It's just a personal preference

You can of course enjoy handball or whatever if we don't win a medal, I'm just saying winning a medal helps, let's exploit it and milk it for what it can do to encourage young kids
  • MotoGP lol
  • Team Award Winners Maybe?
    - Leicester City ... Premier League Champions
    - Wales ... Euro Semi-Finalists
    - Women's Hockey Team ... First Hockey Gold in however long
    - England Rugby Team ... First Series win on Australian soil

Chris Coleman will probably end up with Coach of the Year
  • I'll be amazed if Coleman or Bale win anything, just for the fact that, well, they didn't win anything. Can Ranieri win coach of the year or do you have to be British?
  • I'll be amazed if Coleman or Bale win anything, just for the fact that, well, they didn't win anything. Can Ranieri win coach of the year or do you have to be British?

Think they have to be British... Its only the Overseas Award that a Foreigner can go for

Dont even think the European Ryder Cup Team can with the Team Award
  • Edit... Yes Ranieri can be nominated as Andy Flower (Zimbabwe) and Warren Gatland (New Zealand) have won it
  • Same with in 2012 the Team Award went to the whole of the Olympics and Paralymics team.

Might as well just forget that one this year then!!
  • edited August 2016
    Leuth said:

cabbles said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

It's called having a stake in something, whether it be emotional or financial or otherwise. This applies not just to sports but to TV shows, movies, in fact more or less everything that humanity does as entertainment. The cost to each Briton per year for the Team GB Olympics programme is £1.09 according to the BBC. Definitely more worthwhile and better value than some of the other nonsense our money gets spent on, even if we are only doing it for 'nationalistic dickwaving'.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I could care less about most of the sports we won medals in outside of the Olympics and to be honest I don't particularly care about the Olympics anyway. But yes, I am guilty of only tuning in if GB were competing or going for a medal. I'm not a particularly nationalistic person but what better reason is there to cheer for someone than that they hail from the same shores as you, on the basis that you know literally nothing else about any of the other competitors.

However, when it comes to events such as the Paralympics and the Invictus games, I'll watch anyone competing in that. I remember fondly the days I went to the Paralympics in London 2012. Out of the dozen or so events I went to go watch only a couple had GB in them but they were all fantastic. I guess I was cheering on the human spirit more than anything else (although watching Britain battle to victory against France in the wheelchair rugby was also fantastic).

Also, for the record, I care even less for SPOTY. I watch sportsmen for the sport, not so they can swan around in tuxedos in a back-slapping exercise whilst Clare Balding gushes over how brave all these millionaires are.
  • Greenie said:

Maybe add Carl Crutchlow to the list... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/37148661

It has to be Cal Crutchlow, first English Blue Riband MotoGP since the late great Barry Sheene.
    For those unaware this is the equivalent of Murray winning Wimbledon or England the World Cup.
    Not a bloody word of it on the main sports updates though, we really are an institutionalised bunch when it comes to sport in this country.

Cycling? Please do me a favour, not for me.

Murray will win it though, although I think Anthony Joshua should be in with a shout too.
    I presume that is a joke as he languishes in 10th spot a mere 131 points behind the leader.

1 Marc Marquez Repsol Honda 197
    2 Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha 144
    3 Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha 138
    4 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda 109
    5 Maverick Vinales Team Suzuki Ecstar 100
    6 Andrea Iannone Ducati Team 96
    7 Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 81
    8 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team 79
    9 Hector Barbera Avintia Racing 76
    10 Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda 66

• He's the first to win a race in years, apparently.

Good post Fiiish, fair enough. My hope is that attachment to competitors might depend on more than nationality (it could even be hairstyle) but fine if not, I guess