Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Air Strikes On Syria

Comments

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOPNkxQE9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5pOk1cPPHg

With 'moderates' like this, what chance do those who look up to them have?

This is one of the most powerful speeches I've heard on the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGlMI3pY06w

I know I've posted three links containing Nawaz but, for me, he is the epitome of moderation and is also someone that has worn all the t-shirts so speaks from a position of experience. A lot of alleged moderates don't like him because he speaks the unspoken truth and faces up to, and answers, questions that most shy away from.

Brilliant - thank you. The speech in the synagogue was particularly special.
    The voice of reason, the voice of common sense.
    If kids in schools throughout our land were educated with this kind of moderation then all religions would live side by side and with tolerance.
    I fear we have such a long way to go but, as he says, time to draw the line before it's too late.
    I'd like to think that I'd be that Matt who went to defend the young Muslim boy from a beating by neo-Nazi thugs - what a brave, brave man. Hope he's OK.
  • Options

religion can be is dangerous. It defies logic. .

100% agree
    So do I, which is why I can't understand why islam is so precious to some people (non muslim and probably staunch atheists) all of a sudden
  • Options
    Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BrueU4xd2w#action=share

Anjem Choudary is a Jacky Danny.
  • Options
    Can't watch the video as I'm in work.

I've met the bloke.

Anjem Choudary is a complete nobody. A wannabe.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I just wonder whether this escalation in terror will push the vast majority of moderate Muslims to break cover and openly condemn these murderous scum and religious nutters.

The Muslim guy heard saying the words "you ain't no Muslim Bruv" is a very encouraging sign and I understand it has taken on a life on social media.

Also very good to see the local Leytonstone Imam quickly going public to condemn this atrocity.

Perhaps the start of a moderate fight back ?

But I don't think that the "vast majority of moderate Muslims" are "undercover" in the first place. They're just normal people like you or I. They don't have to condemn every atrocity committed by nutters who profess to follow the same religion as them in much the same way that I don't have to publicly condem the actions of the Christian fundamentalist who attacked the Planned Parenting clinic in Colarado Springs.

ISIS already know that most Muslims don't support them, that's why they've killed lots and lots of them.
    I think what I meant to say was more like that the recent events might encourage the silent majority to become more vociferous rather than feed the perception that they don't say enough.

Not sure why they have to, but they have.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/18/muslim-council-britain-advert-paris-attack
  • Options
    IA said:

I've met the bloke.

You have to wonder how influential these people are though. People believe all kinds of crap, and it only takes one brand of crap to be directed to killing people and suddenly there is trouble.
  • Options
    Noticed this clip in the list of links in one of the videos above. A lot of people view Dawkins as a militant, even the presenter in this clip has a snarky dig at him at the end, but whenever I hear him or read him he comes across as the most reasonable and intelligent spokesman for the secular world.

http://youtu.be/YAV_0s1c2V4
  • Options
    BBC Journo in political 'snarky dig' shocker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

IA said:

I've met the bloke.

You have to wonder how influential these people are though. People believe all kinds of crap, and it only takes one brand of crap to be directed to killing people and suddenly there is trouble.
    I don't think he's influential at all. He's a rent-a-quote, and the likes of ISIS (and their serious supporters in the West) would know it. He was spouting the same stuff when al-Qaeda were the next big thing, and he will be again after ISIS are gone. He knows what to do to avoid arrest, which these days means he won't be involved in anything.

He was known as Andy by his drinking mates in Uni of Southampton.

Where there might be a risk is where people are already destabilised and he provides "justification" for violent acts that they were inclined to do anyway.
  • Options
    IA said:

McBobbin said:

IA said:

I've met the bloke.

I don't think he's influential at all. He's a rent-a-quote, and the likes of ISIS (and their serious supporters in the West) would know it. He was spouting the same stuff when al-Qaeda were the next big thing, and he will be again after ISIS are gone. He knows what to do to avoid arrest, which these days means he won't be involved in anything.

Where there might be a risk is where people are already destabilised and he provides "justification" for violent acts that they were inclined to do anyway.
    I though he had been arrested a few months ago and is currently in jail awaiting trial.
  • Options

IA said:

McBobbin said:

IA said:

I've met the bloke.

I though he had been arrested a few months ago and is currently in jail awaiting trial.
    Ah, he has been. It looks like he's out on bail now. Sorry, I obviously missed this. I still think he's a nobody. From the charges, it looks like he was arrested and charged so the security services could do more worthwhile work than following him around.
  • Options

Noticed this clip in the list of links in one of the videos above. A lot of people view Dawkins as a militant, even the presenter in this clip has a snarky dig at him at the end, but whenever I hear him or read him he comes across as the most reasonable and intelligent spokesman for the secular world.

Oh dear God no. Dawkins is one of those very intelligent men who turns into a patronising arse at the drop of a hat. Give me Jim Al-Khalili any day of the week.
  • Options

Fundamentalism in relation to any religion can be dangerous. It defies logic. Surely religion defies all logic.

• Options
    As someone who is neither for or against the bombing of Syria I'd just like to point out that The Syrian Observatory for human rights is one bloke who lives in a two bedroom semi detached house in Coventry. He's come under a lot of criticism before for giving over false info.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For any religion to promote the sanctity of life, they might like to consider their views on consuming animals.
    Stupid though it might sound (and there are billions of reasonable carnivores) if devout and fundamentalist believers did not seemingly unthinkingly kill and consume animals, they might then reflect on the value of human life.
    Yes I know Hitler was a vegetarian, hence the use of the word might.
  • Options
    The bible has lots of references to eating meat. Jesus was supposed to feed the 5,000 with a fish supper wasn't he?
  • Options

The bible has lots of references to eating meat. Jesus was supposed to feed the 5,000 with a fish supper wasn't he?

That's because everyone at the time was about 3'4".
  • Options
    'Ave suma that ...

• Options

'Ave suma that ...

anyone in particular ?
  • Options

Fundamentalism in relation to any religion can be dangerous. It defies logic. Surely religion defies all logic.

Reneé Descartes .. spoken/written in a VERY dangerous time .. when doubts or denials on the existence of god could mean torture, the rack, and a terrible death .. QUOTE .. If god did not exist, then man would have had to invent him .. UNQUOTE
  • Options

'Ave suma that ...

Those smart bombs are getting more and more sophisticated, if you can now release them onto their target before you've even taken off.

• Options
    ^^^^^^^ ABOVE .. the picture reminds me of an evil prehistoric raptor watching over her venomous chicks
  • Options
    Our flyboys are just as prepared.