Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Force Awakens. Spoilers

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Dave2l said:

PopIcon said:

Was okay, not brilliant.

What would have made it brilliant in your opinion
    I know you weren't asking me but...

- Focus on the current story and less setting up of sequels.

- More development on major plot details (the Starkiller base plan of attack scene was almost a comical parody).

- Carrie fisher to still be an actress

- Properly developed backstory, rather than open spaces left for an animated TV show to fill in.

- Luke's involvement being more than just a cliffhanger

- A real sense of time and space. It took a few seconds to travel everywhere.

- I didn't like the CGI monsters on Han's weird ship.

- Snokes seemed to come from a different franchise entirely.

- Domnhall Gleeson was awful. Hammiest performance in the SW universe.

I like it, but this stuff kept it from being a five-star classic.
    This.

During the crappy cgi run-around from the betentacled killer tomatoes (level 2 of the forthcoming PlayStation game kids) there was even a Shitty space pirate with a Scottish accent...

And the replacement emperor being a crappy CGI giant with Davros head and gollums voice....turdy

• Options
    Still absolutely gutted about the passing of my favourite ever movie character! I was almost shouting dont go on that bloody bridge!

Loved the film but think at lot of that was the nostalgic touches (the board game on the Falcon being my fave). Was a little rushed even at over 2.5 hours. Domnhall Gleeson was pretty bad and Gwendoline Christie hardly used which was a shame as could have been a very good character.

Be interesting to see where the films go next. Think if they keep the mix of old and new right they should be great.
  • Options

It was amazing. It really shows the prequels up for the pile of donkey mess that they were. Thank you Disney for reviving the franchise.

Killing off Han was a good plot twist. Plus the next two films may take 7 years and Harrison Ford may not be in the rudest of health by then.

Plus I believe Harrison ford has been incredibly reluctant to do any Star Wars movies since the originals. I think just having him in this one movie plus the money was enough to convince him to do it.

I'm quite glad Carrie fisher wasn't in the film much, her face has turned to rubber after all her surgeries and drug use.

Thought the space pirates were definitely the weakest part of the film. Rumours are Snoke is darth plaguis, the sith Lord that supposedly unlocked the secret to life and we're led to believe in the prequels created anakin skywalker. Didn't like the fact he was CGI though as I loved the practical sfx of some of the alien characters and always stuck out like a sore thumb when they were CGI.

I do wonder how they recovered Luke's blue lightsaber as he lost it when he got his hand cut off in empire.

I also don't really like how they have made the lightsaber "choose" people, almost like Harry Potter.

Apart from that I loved it, some nice twists in there.

• Options
    Dave2l said:

PopIcon said:

Was okay, not brilliant.

Typical methodical Disney film, now don't get me wrong it wasn't awful, It could have been much more.

Solo and Chewbacca, just happen to stumble across the Falcon, bit of a coincidence.

My biggest grievance was the death of Solo, not that he died, but how they dealt with it.
    Was supposed to be his moment, but it seemed to be more about the other people in the room.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Dave2l said:

PopIcon said:

Was okay, not brilliant.

Typical methodical Disney film, now don't get me wrong it wasn't awful, It could have been much more.

Solo and Chewbacca, just happen to stumble across the Falcon, bit of a coincidence.

My biggest grievance was the death of Solo, not that he died, but how they dealt with it.
    Was supposed to be his moment, but it seemed to be more about the other people in the room.
    Solo and chewie had been looking for the falcon for a while. The force drew them to Finn and rey. It's like bemoaning how Luke skywalker just "so happens" to find r2d2 and then Ben kenobi.

Solos death was a bit rubbish, I knew from the moment he stepped on the bridge he was done for.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Anyone else think that rey is Luke's daughter? Just me?

are you saying Luke's been sleeping around?
  • Options
    I think she is the survivor from kylo's attack on the jedi academy and luke left her on jakku to keep her safe.
  • Options

Not entirely related to this movie, but what's with audiences applauding? Find it pointless and irratating, but I am a miserable bastard............

I first encountered it with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest way back in the 70s. When the big guy picked up the big appliance in the bathroom, the audience went absolutely apeshit.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Dave2l said:

PopIcon said:

Was okay, not brilliant.

Also Jimmy yes I agree with points.

1. 1 bug I had is why the hell would someone randomly have an Irish or Scottish accent when they live in space inhabited planets. That was out the blue just stupid.
    I think they should just all have been American or English. You can still cast and Scottish Irish people.

2. There was a lot of cheesy elements .

3. Hanso solo just randomly enters that space ship with chewy. Coincidence...the entire galaxy an all that.

4. The main villain was a bit weak.

5. Looked like voldermort.
  • Options

Why was fin black? I thought all storm troopers were clones of boba fetts dad?

That would be the clone troopers. The clue is in the name.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bear in mind that this film took place 60 years after the Clone Army was created. Even in Episode IV none of the Stormtroopers were meant to be clones (Luke mentions at the beginning that he wanted to join the Academy).
  • Options

I think she is the survivor from kylo's attack on the jedi academy and luke left her on jakku to keep her safe.

Bingo. And Kylo ren knew of her, thus his intense interest when some one said "a girl" from jakku helped Finn escape. "What girl?!"

I think they dealt with the clone issue, one of the first order guys saying "or should we bring in clones?" These human storm troopers are trained from birth (thus Finn being called a number before Poe called him Finn) and are supposed to be better than clones.

I think storm troopers are humans in the original trilogy as well.
  • Options

That would be the clone troopers. The clue is in the name.
    Aren't all storm troopers clones though, sharing traits with jango fett , such as that head bump scene.
    No - wasn't that explained in the film - the Darth Vader-lite said "you should have used a clone army" to the general bloke and he said "no need, my lads are trained from birth and are the equal of any clone troop" or something like that.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Dave2l said:

PopIcon said:

Was okay, not brilliant.

Solo and chewie had been looking for the falcon for a while. The force drew them to Finn and rey. It's like bemoaning how Luke skywalker just "so happens" to find r2d2 and then Ben kenobi.

Solos death was a bit rubbish, I knew from the moment he stepped on the bridge he was done for.
    Wait - I thought only Jedis/Sith could feel/use the force ? I may have massively misunderstood a key concept of Star Wars !
  • Options
    Great film. You could pick a few holes in it but it is enormous fun.
    Like I said on the other thread, its all about nostalgia for many and this has bucketfuls of the stuff. Quite emotional at times with some real hair on your neck moments.

And so starts a new generation of Star wars fans. My son, who hasn't watched too much of the originals, said its the best film he's ever seen!
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Loved it. Was brilliant despite the worst audience I have ever sat and watched a film with (at the cinema). Parents bringing young children (3 to 6 year olds). Who took ages to settle down and then got bored an hour later. Almost constant sounds of sweet bags being opened but especially noticeable during quieter scenes. AAARRRRGGGHHH.

John Boyega and Daisy Ridley were fantastic.

Me and my four year old just got back from watching it at Lakeside. He was as good as gold but then he's Star Wars obsessed . There was an older kid in the row behind us a few seats down kicking a chair for the whole film and someone behind us with the loudest and largest back of sweets ever heard.

Loved the film though , thought captain Phasma would be more prominent though. Did anyone else realised Joey Boswell was in it?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    se9addick said:

PopIcon said:

Dave2l said:

PopIcon said:

Was okay, not brilliant.

Wait - I thought only Jedis/Sith could feel/use the force ? I may have massively misunderstood a key concept of Star Wars !
    The force is in everything, nothing happens as a coincidence. The force has awoken and is moving shit around.

Also, there are force sensitive people, which arguably Han Solo was, and arguably r2d2 and bb8 are as well. In the prequels general grievous is a force sensitive cyborgy thing. Not a sith. Like Leia was strong with the force but she was not a Jedi.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    buckshee said:

johnny73 said:

Loved it. Was brilliant despite the worst audience I have ever sat and watched a film with (at the cinema). Parents bringing young children (3 to 6 year olds). Who took ages to settle down and then got bored an hour later. Almost constant sounds of sweet bags being opened but especially noticeable during quieter scenes. AAARRRRGGGHHH.

. Did anyone else realised Joey Boswell was in it?
    And Ming the merciless which was weird as him and Vader were my top 2 baddies growing up!
  • Options

buckshee said:

johnny73 said:

. Did anyone else realised Joey Boswell was in it?
    And Ming the merciless witch was weird as him and Vader were my top 2 baddies growing up!
    Actually just realised it was Jack Boswell.
  • Options
    Rey speaks astromech droid and Wookie? That's another bit of good fortune..

Also no mention of how Poe gets off Jakku.

Take 10 seconds to explain these things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Rey speaks astromech droid and Wookie? That's another bit of good fortune..

Also no mention of how Poe gets off Jakku.

Take 10 seconds to explain these things.

Does she speak Wookie? Well she's a scavenger and takes an interest in how things work and robots generally.

As for Poe leaving jakku, it's almost as if there's another 2 films to explain things a bit better...
  • Options
    Just seen it and felt that Adam Driver was a brilliant villan up until his fight with Rey... He's just had his butt kicked by someone who five minutes earlier had never used a lightsabre let alone the force.

That moment ruined him for me and Abrams has a lot of work to do to make him evil again.

Felt that the planet version of the Death Star was boring and old (Even the actors felt tired of dealing with another version) and they had all the time in the world to destroy it as there were no Tie Fighters to stop the X-Wings

I know the books arent cannon now but have a feeling that Snorks could turn out to be the Emperor in disguise again
  • Options
    Snorks, what a scary name for a villain too, might as well have been smurfs
  • Options

Felt that the planet version of the Death Star was boring and old (Even the actors felt tired of dealing with another version) and they had all the time in the world to destroy it as there were no Tie Fighters to stop the X-Wings

The original Death Star was supposed to have something around 5,000 Tie Fighters. Maybe if they sent more than 3 to deal with the rebels it wouldn't have been blown up!

• Options
    Captain Phasma? Why....?