Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You know you're getting old when.

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    T_C_E said:
    See, I like Rag’n Boneman. In fact the honest truth was I heard a song and was amazed to find it was him singing it and now consider myself down the kids. ;)
    Saw rag n bone man at blackheath - who was good - a few months ago and realised that I’d seen grace jones - the headline act!!! more times than any other act there- not coz I like her - in fact she bores me to death - just coz how old I am. How she keeps getting the headline gig at these things I don’t know 
    Maybe you’re just a slave to the rhythm!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Grace Jones. Absolute horrible person but a  stunner. It surprises me that she is still singing. 
  • Options
    your list of life's  positives include Bladder Control ...
  • Options
    You stretch your legs daily for a week and they still feel tight 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Grace Jones. Absolute horrible person but a  stunner. It surprises me that she is still singing. 
    really?
  • Options
    When you know an adult who you are not related to and think to yourself, I remember them as a kid. That is something you get as regular following a football team because fans are there for life.  And I remember a few of our adult fans (though young adults) when theyy were kids.
  • Options
    When you go to a classic car show and realise you’ve owned most of the models on display.
  • Options
    You take your grandsons to school and talk to mothers who you remember as little girls attending the same school.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    You take your grandsons to school and talk to mothers who you remember as little girls attending the same school.
    On the plus side, you dont have to feel so guilty about fancying them now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    On the plus side, you dont have to feel so guilty about fancying them now 
    I'm talking primary school and contemporaries of my daughters.
  • Options
    Exactly   :D
  • Options
    Received an email from Amazon asking me to review the book 'The Memory Tree' which is quite ironic as I cannot even recall ordering it.  

I have checked my Kindle and it is there.  I am currently blaming the hair trigger of single click ordering ... just hope I'm not kidding myself :neutral:
    That sounds an interesting book, what's it about?

And another thing. That sounds an interesting book, what's it about?
  • Options
    When someone your kids age tell you they are applying for your managers post. 
  • Options
    When you Think about getting the valley Express to the games
  • Options

I haven't been on the forum much lately as I've been busy preparing for my driving test. I even forgot we had a game on Saturday which had never happened before! I didn't realise it until I went on Instagram on Sunday morning and saw the players' posts celebrating the victory against the very tough opponents Leeds....

Anyway, I took the test this morning and failed. It's really frustrating as this is already my second time. I'm usually very good at exams both at school and at work. But this driving test is driving me crazy. Am I getting old?😢  I must say though my driving school is partly at fault - the cars they provide for training are quite different to the ones that are used at the test. And they just don't want to change them. There were six of us who are learning at this school that took the test today and only two people passed. (There are a lot of ridiculously difficult things involved in driving tests in China especially in recent years)

In the mean time only music can give me a little bit comfort...
    I've been listening to the new Keane album "Cause and Effect" this week and one slow song is really good.
    https://youtu.be/0r-G5wglH5Y

PS. I was a big fan of Keane around their first two album years. Can't believe that was almost 14 years ago! I only got to know last week that Tom Chaplin the lead singer had a drug addiction relapse a few years ago. Chaplin's two solo albums are decent and the latest Keane album "Cause and Effect" is also worth a listen. Not as great as their "Hopes and Fears" but there are a few good tracks on it.

PPS. Sorry my post has gone off topic😅 but I do feel old realising that Hopes and Fears is a 15 year old album....😂
  • Options
    Good luck with the next test Jessie
  • Options
    When you set aside a whole day to cut the grass as you know you'll be too knackered to do anything else afterwards.
  • Options
    When you set aside a whole day to cut the grass as you know you'll be too knackered to do anything else afterwards.
    I don’t feel too bad, having carried 1.5 tonne of gravel and a tonne of log cabin through the house in the last couple of days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Failing your driving test isn't a sign of old age @Jessie , it's a sign of youth. Old age is when you already have a licence but people question your ability to drive. I was surprised that you mentioned the driving school's car, here you take your test in the same car you learned in. In a way your system sounds better. A driver should be competent in any car, not just one. Anyway, here's wishing you better luck next time.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Thank you @happyvalley and @Stig

It really shouldn't matter what car you drive but our driving test system is extremely difficult and not very practically useful. It consists of four sections. Two of them are knowledge tests: 150 single/multiple choice questions and you have to at least get 90% of them correct (I have no problem with these two sections). And the other two sections are driving a) in a specific field and b)on the road. I think the on the road test will be easy for me although I have yet to take it. It's the "infield" test that I've failed twice. Here's a video of the test https://b23.tv/av8868416 (it starts at 2:00) if you're are interested. Sorry it's in Chinese. Make sure you turn off the viewer commentary subtitles which are all complaints of fellow test takers. This infield test has five items and obviously the tyres of your car cannot touch any of the solid lines or else you fail. Besides you cannot pause, cannot reverse your car if you're supposed to drive forward, or vice versa, meaning you have to finish all five items in one go without adjustment. There are time limits on each item. You can see in the video that the parking spots, the reverse S curve lane and 90 degree turn lane are all very small. There are specific car position requirements on the rampway. That's why what car you drive matters. Our coach teaches us various reference points of the car (like when you sit in the car you see a specific part of the car meets a specific point in the field then you must turn the wheel left one round etc.) so different cars have different reference points. If you use the same methods on a different car the tyres will easily touch the yellow lines and you fail. My colleague once said this section is like doing embroidery with a car😆.... and a waste of time when it comes to daily ordinary driving.

• Options
    I couldn't play the video, but did see the opening frame. I guess we could never have that sort of test here , lack of space. It was a major upheaval ensuring all our test centres could handle a two part motorbike test. I just couldn't see it happening for cars. Anyway, you know you're getting old when you've already got a driving licence, but never had to take a theory test.
  • Options
    When you go to a classic car show and realise you’ve owned most of the models on display.
    And you realise that those ‘big’ family cars you drive around are small by today’s standards...and as for those smaller family cars of yesteryear, they make today’s mini/city cars look big
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    When you open a thread titled “Duvet Set” hoping it contains tips for a good night’s sleep!
  • Options
    And you realise that those ‘big’ family cars you drive around are small by today’s standards...and as for those smaller family cars of yesteryear, they make today’s mini/city cars look big

Very true. I took this at Brands Hatch last weekend and my mate's Triumph 2500 was in the background. This was a fairly big car in its day but look how small it looks against the Skoda

• Options
    When your reading twitter and wondering why so many spanner’s have an opinion on the NHS!
    ie: NHs had to go, served his time well but had run out of ideas. 
  • Options
    When you write to Horace Batchelor address Keynsham spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M for tips on scores for the CL prediction league.
  • Options
    Brexit seems like a good idea!
  • Options
    This morning while I picked up a paper and my euro ticket, of the two ladies working only the oldest chatted, the younger didn't look up from her phone.