Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You know you're getting old when.

Comments

• Options
    When you have to think hard about how many days to go to Christmas when there are only three left
  • Options
    When you tell youngsters 'When I was young ... or, when I was your age ....'.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Well, there's a small lake and church in the distance but even more curious is the church at the top of the chalk cliffs. There must be some mention of that in records of the history of the area - maybe in The British Library.

This map suggests that as well as St Luke's at the top of Charlton Church Lane there was another church on Charlton Lane, where the mini roundabout is now. Could that be it?  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=16.3&lat=51.48727&lon=0.02453&layers=1&b=1&r=30

When I saw that painting my thought was the same as yours that it could be where the East Terrace was. I then had doubts because I thought the perspective looked more as if it was looking downhill rather than up. Of course it's a painting not a photo, so the painter could have messed around with the composition to make it look more appealing, giving an impression of the area rather than a facsimile. 

Apologies if already been mentioned but could this other church be St Paul's which stood at the junction of Fairfield Grove and Charlton Lane? It has the distinction of being the first church to be destroyed in London in WW11 by enemy action. https://blitzwalkers.blogspot.com/2010/04/other-st-pauls-first-church-in-london.html
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Well, there's a small lake and church in the distance but even more curious is the church at the top of the chalk cliffs. There must be some mention of that in records of the history of the area - maybe in The British Library.

This map suggests that as well as St Luke's at the top of Charlton Church Lane there was another church on Charlton Lane, where the mini roundabout is now. Could that be it?  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=16.3&lat=51.48727&lon=0.02453&layers=1&b=1&r=30

When I saw that painting my thought was the same as yours that it could be where the East Terrace was. I then had doubts because I thought the perspective looked more as if it was looking downhill rather than up. Of course it's a painting not a photo, so the painter could have messed around with the composition to make it look more appealing, giving an impression of the area rather than a facsimile. 

Apologies if already been mentioned but could this other church be St Paul's which stood at the junction of Fairfield Grove and Charlton Lane? It has the distinction of being the first church to be destroyed in London in WW11 by enemy action. https://blitzwalkers.blogspot.com/2010/04/other-st-pauls-first-church-in-london.html
    When does WW11 start please? Will make sure I'm away then 😁
  • Options
    Having a Covid jab and telling the nurse it was  "the best jab since Sonny Liston", and getting a blank stare in return, followed by my wife saying "She's not as old as you, you eejit".
    Did the nurse say, “just a little prick”?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having a Covid jab and telling the nurse it was  "the best jab since Sonny Liston", and getting a blank stare in return, followed by my wife saying "She's not as old as you, you eejit".
    Blimey mate, the nurses' mum probably doesn't remember Sonny Liston  ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Watching Cassius Clay beat Sonny Liston on a black and white TV as a wee boy in the middle of the night when my big Brother switched BBC on and Harry Carpenter was the voice and face of boxing.

I wonder why that memory came into my head 🤔
  • Options
    Back in the late 70's being mistaken for David Cassidy, now in 2023, after another fracture of the ankle, you're Hop a long Cassidy !
  • Options
    Back in the late 70's being mistaken for David Cassidy, now in 2023, after another fracture of the ankle, you're Hop a long Cassidy !
    ‘Mistaken for David Cassidy’ ?? How can I be sure ?
  • Options
    When you wonder to do on Saturday evenings now that Strictly has finished
  • Options
    I’m late to this but I just heard a great description of people aged 50-60 as living in sniper’s alley
  • Options
    I’m late to this but I just heard a great description of people aged 50-60 as living in sniper’s alley
    That was from Paul Whitehouse/Bob Mortimer. I remembered it as 60-65 for men & 60-63 for women.
    Get past those ages and you should be ok for another 15/20/25 years. 
  • Options
    Phew I'm 67, you're all invited to my 90th birthday party.
  • Options
    When the first piece of clothing you put on to take the dogs out is long underwear! It’s f**king freezing here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finding the cold difficult to handle these days, so went on the Damart website and bought some thermal leggings - had them on for the Gills FA Cup match - young bloke stood near me was wearing shorts 🙄
  • Options
    when Charlton Directors talk about “ diversity” “ inclusion” and you think it’s rubbish.
  • Options
    when Charlton Directors talk about “ diversity” “ inclusion” and you think it’s rubbish.
    Suspect that's the same for quite a few of us on here. You can add the women's team to that list.
  • Options
    Finding the cold difficult to handle these days, so went on the Damart website and bought some thermal leggings - had them on for the Gills FA Cup match - young bloke stood near me was wearing shorts 🙄
    Was he one of the subs?
  • Options
    The bloke in shorts was rushed to Gillingham hospital with hyperthermia after the game. Leggings rule. I may have to break mine out for this Saturdays game.
  • Options
    Long Johns, as they used to be called, are a basic necessity for pretty much the whole of the football season apart from the first few and last few weeks. Life's too short (and getting shorter) to be cold.
  • Options
    You now know why your Dad took a newspaper to the toilet.
  • Options
    You now know why your Dad took a newspaper to the toilet.
    To wipe his arse afterwards ?
  • Options
    55 years ago ?, surely not

Please tell me this is not true