Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Media coverage

Comments

• You are a star, Jessie...nothing new, though as we always knew you were.

We all look forward to the day we finally meet you.

Jean
    xx

Jean you've been such an inspiration to me and I believe many other people can say the same about you. :)
  • @Gillis I must have missed it! When did he mention about Chinese owners and where can I find it?
  • well done Jessie
  • When a Chinese billionaire buys Charlton we'll know who to thank.

Well done Jessie.
  • edited March 2016

@Gillis I must have missed it! When did he mention about Chinese owners and where can I find it?

It was in his most recent interviews when he came over to the Uk I think. Something along the lines of fans should be happy it is a Belgium owner as it could otherwise have been a Chinese one and the cultures are very similar between Belgium and UK but not China and Uk.
  • edited March 2016
    @JessieAddick

“What will finally happen to the Championship is you will find most of the time, it is owners that are maybe Chinese or foreign. Is that a good evolution? I don’t know. I’m not so sure. “Okay, I’m a foreign owner also - but Belgium is not so far away! It’s also a matter of culture, we share the same culture as an English culture.”

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116220&headline=Exclusive: Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet - Financial Fair Play spending change is a disaster&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016
  • @JessieAddick

“What will finally happen to the Championship is you will find most of the time, it is owners that are maybe Chinese or foreign. Is that a good evolution? I don’t know. I’m not so sure. “Okay, I’m a foreign owner also - but Belgium is not so far away! It’s also a matter of culture, we share the same culture as an English culture.”

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116220&headline=Exclusive: Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet - Financial Fair Play spending change is a disaster&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

So Roland you put in place as CEO at Charlton someone who shares the same culture (as the fans? as the Club?) I don't think so.
    Katrien Meire spent her formative years studying law at The University of Leuven (a prestigious Belgian University) which included a year out In Paris strolling around on the left bank of the Seine in Paris whilst at the Rene Descartes. Can't say that that strikes any kind of cord with me.
    And her comments to Brussels newspaper L'Echo last year - "I shouldn't really say this but I don't care about the history of the Club". Thanks Katrien, nice to know that you can dismiss over 100 years of the clubs history - it graphically illustrates just how removed you are from any understanding of the club or its fans.
    The "I shouldn't really say this" part is baffling.

The women needs serious guidance on life.

Roland is such a big fat c*nt for giving her that job, knowing who and what she is.
  • An indirect mention in today's 'Fiver'.
  • Sponsored links:

• @JessieAddick

Thanks for finding that.

As well as the slightly xenophobic tone, his comments highlight two worrying things:

1) He still seems to believe in a similarity between English and Belgian footballing cultures that simply doesn't exist.
    2) He still doesn't seem to grasp that it doesn't matter where an owner is from, as long as they bring in staff with appropriate local knowledge.
  • Thank you @Athletico Charlton for the link. I'll post it on Weibo later. I totally agree with Coyotejohn1947 and Gillis. Definitely sounds xenophobic to me and it's really funny since he himself is a Belgian not an Englishman!! I guess there're plenty rich people all across Asia who know better how to run a football club than he does because he knows very little.
  • Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

@JessieAddick

So Roland you put in place as CEO at Charlton someone who shares the same culture (as the fans? as the Club?) I don't think so.
    Katrien Meire spent her formative years studying law at The University of Leuven (a prestigious Belgian University) which included a year out In Paris strolling around on the left bank of the Seine in Paris whilst at the Rene Descartes. Can't say that that strikes any kind of cord with me.
    And her comments to Brussels newspaper L'Echo last year - "I shouldn't really say this but I don't care about the history of the Club". Thanks Katrien, nice to know that you can dismiss over 100 years of the clubs history - it graphically illustrates just how removed you are from any understanding of the club or its fans.

Roland is such a big fat c*nt for giving her that job, knowing who and what she is.
    The "shouldn't really say this" part of the Meire quote is the most troubling as it demonstrates that she knows exactly what she is doing irrespective of the consequences and with total disrespect towards the fans. Any normal person in the CEO post would have resigned by now. It's the equivalent of losing the dressing room. How she has the gall to carry on after error upon error and multiple faux pas is beyond me.
    It's interesting I mean let's be honest, we kind of already knew that the person in question does not care or have a natural emotional attachment to Charlton. Why would she.....but then she pretends she loves the club etc but also openly says something as daft as that.

Was she provoked enough to directly answer whether or not she cares about our history? No

Put this to perspective....if someone said to me.

"Hi Dave I'm a rich business owner and I've decided to give you the job of CEO for a 2nd division american basketball club/team (I mostly know absolutely nothing about basketball)
    "You will be out your depth but its 50k a year for you"

This is gana sound quite simplistic but do you know the 1st thing I myself would do....whilst being excited about this new undeserved job I had.

I would research the club/team to the core and it's history...as the history is the most important and interesting part. I would be intruiged for the knowledge of by what makes it what it is today. It's a random basketball club I had never heard of before. I BETTER DO MY RESEARCH THEN....like 110% otherwise I'm going to come across a right numpty when I arrive and I know nothing. It would be embarrassing.

Katrien Meire is a complete tool and it's a big shame.

She could have been better then this. She does not have the right personality for a role like this in particular.

I would do the same. Well, maybe she thinks that her job is and will always be safe so she just doesn't need to do all the research, doesn't need to make that much effort - a sign of her lack of professional ethics.
  • The Charlton news account I maintain on Weibo (China's equivalent of Twitter) caught the eye of a reporter who writes for Football Weekly, the most widely circulated football magazine in China. He asked me if I was interested in doing a small Q and A interview. I thought why not. So we had a chat last week and the interview was published this week. I managed to talk about Charlton Life, our ongoing issues, the CARD's campaigns and the Varney email farce. The reporter was kind enough to put it all in the piece. It probably won't help to any extent and I guess readers are much more interested in the articles on all those big clubs in the magazine but nevertheless it's great to have helped spread the word and it's nice to see us get some publicity here.

@JessieAddick is your interview online? If so, do you have a link?
  • You are a star, Jessie...nothing new, though as we always knew you were.

We all look forward to the day we finally meet you.

Jean
    xx

Seconded.
  • @JessieAddick, very well done for getting it noticed in that continent. I've worked in SE Asia and that part of the world is very interested in UK/Europe Football. You never know you may smoke someone out that fancies his/her chances of buying/investing in a SE London club? Do you have a link to the article?
  • And we play in red which is a 'lucky' colour in Chinese culture.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2016
    Hi @JessieAddick
    Any chance you can translate your article and post it here?

My reading skills for chinese are probably beneath those of a chinese child trying to read english for the first time.
  • I remember Roland's initial interview when he took over where he was explaining football back to us like he'd discovered it for the first time.
    Like he was telling Lang Lang the difference between the black and white keys on a piano.
  • @AddicksAddict Sorry it's not. The magazine's contents aren't available online. It's probably because they fear people wouldn't buy the physical copies if the articles could be found on the internet.

@Dazzler21 I'll try to translate it briefly when I have some spare time this weekend.

Once again, thanks everyone for your interest and support. Really appreciated. :smile:
  • Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

@JessieAddick

The "shouldn't really say this" part of the Meire quote is the most troubling as it demonstrates that she knows exactly what she is doing irrespective of the consequences and with total disrespect towards the fans. Any normal person in the CEO post would have resigned by now. It's the equivalent of losing the dressing room. How she has the gall to carry on after error upon error and multiple faux pas is beyond me.
    It's interesting I mean let's be honest, we kind of already knew that the person in question does not care or have a natural emotional attachment to Charlton. Why would she.....but then she pretends she loves the club etc but also openly says something as daft as that.

Was she provoked enough to directly answer whether or not she cares about our history? No

"Hi Dave I'm a rich business owner and I've decided to give you the job of CEO for a 2nd division american basketball club/team (I mostly know absolutely nothing about basketball)

This is gana sound quite simplistic but do you know the 1st thing I myself would do....whilst being excited about this new undeserved job I had.

I would research the club/team to the core and it's history...as the history is the most important and interesting part. I would be intruiged for the knowledge of by what makes it what it is today. It's a random basketball club I had never heard of before. I BETTER DO MY RESEARCH THEN....like 110% otherwise I'm going to come across a right numpty when I arrive and I know nothing. It would be embarrassing.

She could have been better then this. She does not have the right personality for a role like this in particular.

I would do the same. Well, maybe she thinks that her job is and will always be safe so she just doesn't need to do all the research, doesn't need to make that much effort - a sign of her lack of professional ethics.
    I still think that the meaning behind the KM comment "I don't care about the history of the club" is that she has totally bought into the Roland D 'year zero' approach of re-inventing the club in his model. In this approach the history of the club is indeed meaningless as it has no relevance to a Club which is essentially being re-modelled as a feeder club for the Prem operating on a break-even basis.
    I wrote in 2014 in VOTV (as The Lone Gunman) that the RD regime was an interlude in the history of Charlton Athletic. That remains the case but the damage done is already immense and the sooner this terrible and painful 'interlude' in our history is over the better. The first step in recovery will be the removal of Katrien Meire someone who is willing, as has been said before, to sacrifice the Club, its history, its long-term fans and any amount of goodwill in an unapologetic, crawling, sycophantic appeasement of her paymaster. What is it they say about lawyers......?
    I hear the EU is going to ban medical and scientific experiments on rats but allow them on lawyers, on the basis that no-one gives a damn what happens to lawyers.
  • Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

@JessieAddick

I still think that the meaning behind the KM comment "I don't care about the history of the club" is that she has totally bought into the Roland D 'year zero' approach of re-inventing the club in his model. In this approach the history of the club is indeed meaningless as it has no relevance to a Club which is essentially being re-modelled as a feeder club for the Prem operating on a break-even basis.
    I wrote in 2014 in VOTV (as The Lone Gunman) that the RD regime was an interlude in the history of Charlton Athletic. That remains the case but the damage done is already immense and the sooner this terrible and painful 'interlude' in our history is over the better. The first step in recovery will be the removal of Katrien Meire someone who is willing, as has been said before, to sacrifice the Club, its history, its long-term fans and any amount of goodwill in an unapologetic, crawling, sycophantic appeasement of her paymaster. What is it they say about lawyers......?
    Gosh, so you're The Lone Gunman . . . ;=)