Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Media coverage

Comments

• More coverage of funeral, balls and whistles on Guardian Weekly podcast. Shoutouts to Louis and Matt.
  • IA said:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6997803/Charlton-fans-hold-Leeds-copycat-funeral-protest.html

though its reported on it just shows how shit the sun paper actually is. as if the funeral march is something leeds created and that no one left on the 74 minute. gawd I hate that paper.

On Twitter there were a few Leeds fans saying that Charlton should stop copying them. They were quickly put in their place by many more Leeds fans, who pointed out that the two clubs are talking to each other, the funeral idea has been done many times before by different clubs (Wrexham and Preston were mentioned), and the Charlton protest was much bigger.
    Ironic that people from Leeds are upset about other people stealing.
  • Fiiish said:

IA said:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6997803/Charlton-fans-hold-Leeds-copycat-funeral-protest.html

though its reported on it just shows how shit the sun paper actually is. as if the funeral march is something leeds created and that no one left on the 74 minute. gawd I hate that paper.

On Twitter there were a few Leeds fans saying that Charlton should stop copying them. They were quickly put in their place by many more Leeds fans, who pointed out that the two clubs are talking to each other, the funeral idea has been done many times before by different clubs (Wrexham and Preston were mentioned), and the Charlton protest was much bigger.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/crime-statistics-for-leeds-3217272

easily disliked football club I would agree - but stones and glasshouses ......
  • edited March 2016
    bobmunro said:

Fiiish said:

IA said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/crime-statistics-for-leeds-3217272

easily disliked football club I would agree - but stones and glasshouses ......
    Every person I know who has lived there got robbed at least once a year. Just sayin...

Besides we know it's all the posh rugby-boys out in Ilkley bringing the average down :tongue:

Also it is still above the national average in burglary. Although it could be higher since I doubt robbing from wheelie bins gets reported.
  • C_A_F_C said:

Greenie said:

C_A_F_C said:

Scoham said:

C_A_F_C said:

cafctom said:

Just watched the Sky footage that I recorded. They really did a great job of expressing the anger of the Charlton fans.

I know I keep bringing this up - but more really needs to be made of the fact that we hired a manager from the Belgian 3rd Division.

And our current manager has already been sacked by our owner three times.
    Not really true, he was only on a short contract here the first team. And didn't he resign from Standard Liege to take another job?
    He was essentially sacked here the first team, im not sure what happened the second time at Standard Liege but assumed it may have been a similar situation.
    Wrong, Riga only had a contract until the end of the season with RD, no more no less. Riga came out and said so himself.
    So not essentially then!!
    I know he only had a contract to the end of season but whichever way you look it Roland decided not to keep him on as manager, unless you believe Colin's story that Riga's family were only prepared to leave Milan for Blackpool.
    So, he wasn't sacked then? Essentially or non-essentially.
  • edited March 2016
    Really pleased this story has hit the states.

Matt White had contact from the Fox Sport news desk in Los Angeles this morning about covering Charlton's protest and using his YouTube video in the above article and would show it in their news broadcast later.

Fox Sport have shown it with all the swearing but the Daily Mail online said they would have to blur out the swearing and the journo said he couldn't get hold of the video editors today.
  • edited March 2016
    Greenie said:

C_A_F_C said:

Greenie said:

C_A_F_C said:

Scoham said:

C_A_F_C said:

cafctom said:

Just watched the Sky footage that I recorded. They really did a great job of expressing the anger of the Charlton fans.

I know I keep bringing this up - but more really needs to be made of the fact that we hired a manager from the Belgian 3rd Division.

Not really true, he was only on a short contract here the first team. And didn't he resign from Standard Liege to take another job?
    He was essentially sacked here the first team, im not sure what happened the second time at Standard Liege but assumed it may have been a similar situation.
    Wrong, Riga only had a contract until the end of the season with RD, no more no less. Riga came out and said so himself.
    I know he only had a contract to the end of season but whichever way you look it Roland decided not to keep him on as manager, unless you believe Colin's story that Riga's family were only prepared to leave Milan for Blackpool.
    He wasn't sacked, definitely not sacked.
  • Up to 12k likes on the Sky Sports Facebook page, I really recommend reading through the comments, some great comments of support from fellow football fans.
  • edited March 2016
    Got a link for that @charlton_hero ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

C_A_F_C said:

cafctom said:

He's still crap.
  • WSSWSS
    edited March 2016
    Football Ramble talking about us this week. They don't understand the black and white (beachballs).

David Nugent had a sticker on apparently.

Taking the piss out of the sofa as well.
  • Really pleased this story has hit the states.

Matt White had contact from the Fox Sport news desk in Los Angeles this morning about covering Charlton's protest and using his YouTube video in the above article and would show it in their news broadcast later.

Fox Sport have shown it with all the swearing but the Daily Mail online said they would have to blur out the swearing and the journo said he couldn't get hold of the video editors today.
    I do hope the American audience enjoy the chants.....
  • Has any of our marketeers tried to put a 'value' on this publicity. Coverage on Sky, in the newspapers, USA, China ... If CARD had to pay for that, how much would it have cost! On the flip side, how much has this cost Charlton! Reduced ticket sales, ST Boycott, security, loss of sponsorship ... Future revenue!
  • Greenie said:

C_A_F_C said:

Greenie said:

C_A_F_C said:

Scoham said:

C_A_F_C said:

cafctom said:

True that he was only given a short term deal, but after completing his objective and 'keeping us up' it can only be seen as a public rejection by RD to dispense with him at the end of that term.

Plus there were those comments made by him and his son about wishing he could stay etc.. It didn't exactly feel like Riga was fine with walking himself out the door when he season finished.

I guess it's similar to Fraeye in some ways - he was never 'sacked' he just 'stopped' his 'interim' stewardship.

What's clear is that if RD fancied giving either of them longer, he would have - it's just convenient to keep everything in a weird grey area of categorisation, so you don't look quite so much like a wanker when your cheapskate appointments fail.
  • Really pleased this story has hit the states.

I do hope the American audience enjoy the chants.....
    It was Lucky that the last word wasn't Beaver,
    Or it would never get on air in day time American TV.

I'm led to believe that Fox TV thought the last word was cult !
  • edited March 2016
    Some really good support amongst the comments there too. I know it's been mentioned before but it does make me wonder whether there is the opportunity to work with Leeds, Blackpool etc to make a united point?

Also, late to the party in saying this but well done again to CARD. It was a really tough balance to strike to get the point across on Sunday and not divide the fans over tactics, I think it was planned and executed brilliantly. We were helped by some friendly coverage from Sky (who I now think will remain in Charlton fans good books for a while) but the first five minutes especially were absolutely spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's reached Italy: http://gianlucadimarzio.com/news-cat/charlton-morto-e-sepolto-i-tifosi-inscenano-il-funerale-del-club-per-protestare-contro-il-presidente/

(Love the last sentence)

---Google Translate---
    Charlton ... "dead and buried"? supporters staged the club's funeral to protest against President

drafting 14/03/2016 18:40

Glorious past, coat of arms among the oldest in England and a reputation throughout the country. Fans of Charlton must have thought long and hard about their history, before staging nothing less than a funeral to their team during the match yesterday against Middlesbrough, the 37th day of the Championship.

The "Valiants" ultimately do not fare too well, in the penultimate place in the standings and stormy relationship between the supporters and the presidency of the Belgian Roland Duchatelet, accused of not doing the interests of the club and engage just for the sake of the team. To send a strong message to high managerial spheres, fans of Charlton have prepared a funeral Mass outside of their own stadium, before the difficult game against Middlesborough second in the standings. Armed with Juventus scarves in mourning, a large procession marched out of the "The Valley" shouting her discontent Duchatelet and Meire, general manager of the club: banner against the chair placed on a hearse with corporate banner ( "Roland and Katrien, time to go ") and fake pastor ready to direct the laying on the floor of the coffin.

A macabre initiative not new in these parts, given the precedent of Leeds against Massimo Cellino, who was also "honored" by fans with a funeral. Not completely satisfied, the Charlton curve also interrupted the match against 'Boro throwing the pitch dozens of balloons, also Juventus.

However questionable, the staging of the funeral has borne fruit: with goals by Teixeira and Harriott fact, Charlton scored a surprise success, reconnecting to the permanence in the category. And Duchatelet? Now, it remains at a crossroads: to confess imaginary sins and earn salvation, or risk dealing with the team's eternal damnation.
  • rikofold said:

It's reached Italy: http://gianlucadimarzio.com/news-cat/charlton-morto-e-sepolto-i-tifosi-inscenano-il-funerale-del-club-per-protestare-contro-il-presidente/

(Love the last sentence)

---Google Translate---
    Charlton ... "dead and buried"? supporters staged the club's funeral to protest against President

drafting 14/03/2016 18:40

Glorious past, coat of arms among the oldest in England and a reputation throughout the country. Fans of Charlton must have thought long and hard about their history, before staging nothing less than a funeral to their team during the match yesterday against Middlesbrough, the 37th day of the Championship.

The "Valiants" ultimately do not fare too well, in the penultimate place in the standings and stormy relationship between the supporters and the presidency of the Belgian Roland Duchatelet, accused of not doing the interests of the club and engage just for the sake of the team. To send a strong message to high managerial spheres, fans of Charlton have prepared a funeral Mass outside of their own stadium, before the difficult game against Middlesborough second in the standings. Armed with Juventus scarves in mourning, a large procession marched out of the "The Valley" shouting her discontent Duchatelet and Meire, general manager of the club: banner against the chair placed on a hearse with corporate banner ( "Roland and Katrien, time to go ") and fake pastor ready to direct the laying on the floor of the coffin.

A macabre initiative not new in these parts, given the precedent of Leeds against Massimo Cellino, who was also "honored" by fans with a funeral. Not completely satisfied, the Charlton curve also interrupted the match against 'Boro throwing the pitch dozens of balloons, also Juventus.

However questionable, the staging of the funeral has borne fruit: with goals by Teixeira and Harriott fact, Charlton scored a surprise success, reconnecting to the permanence in the category. And Duchatelet? Now, it remains at a crossroads: to confess imaginary sins and earn salvation, or risk dealing with the team's eternal damnation.

Loving the Juve connection ....
  • Talksport Drive's daily rant is going to be about Charlton Athletic.

Danny Kelly is standing in for Adrian Durham and 'coming off his long run' for this one apparently.

I believe that this section of the show airs after the 4:30 news (it's definitely before 5pm).

• Roly has just done more to put our cause in the media than we could ever have done.
  • DRAddick said:

Roly has just done more to put our cause in the media than we could ever have done.

He certainly has ... very naive ... as Henry keeps pointing out, he picked the wrong club :smile:
  • It's like an even more mentally unstable Gordon Brown took over a football club.
  • So... he had a deal for EUR1.5,000,000 lined up - the club realised it was really for us - and they popped another EUR1,000,000 on it?

If that's the case then I can't actually blame them to be fair, if Championship club was essentially trying to buy your player via a League One club you'd charge them Championship prices. Now the interesting thing here, is surely by that logic it would make sense to inflate your prices whenever one of Roland's clubs is making an offer - because for all you know he's going to be sent to the UK, and flipped for profit like a 3 bedroom house.