Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey to Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016
    The good old *daily mail really have it in for him, 3 days running they've slagged him off.

*Shown to me by a Swansea fan.

Has Uncle cancelled his delivery ?
  • Options
    BBC Wales evening news saying Shelvey would be sold if they get a good offer for him.
  • Options
    Imagine a team of;

------Bent - Kerm
    ---------Shelvey
    Bulot---------------JBG
    ---------Poyet
    Wiggins - Morro - Bauer - Solly
    ---------Hamer

Oh what could have been!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Imagine a team of;

------Bent - Kerm
    ---------Shelvey
    Bulot---------------JBG
    ---------Poyet
    Wiggins - Morro - Bauer - Solly
    ---------Hamer

Oh what could have been!

a midfield 3 of jonjo, cousins the water carrier and poyet with scott parker coming off the bench and as a wise old head in the dressing room. Oh what could have been indeed...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Increasingly clear he isn't going to fulfil his potential - only 23 years old and already moved on by two Prem clubs.

Where has it been confirmed that Swansea want to 'move him on' ?

I would have thought not being picked for matches, getting a bollocking from the chairman and now rowing with his own fans was some at least soft evidence that he might not have much of a future at the club. If you had a relegation battle on your hands, would you want Shelvey in the trenches?
    Yes thank you, ahead of Ba, Sarr, Reza, Vaz Te, Watt, and quite possibly the other imports we have not seen enough of to discern character either way. If Shelvey has a n 'attitude" problem as you imply, it is that he tries too hard sometimes. I could see that much from his time here when he was getting stick from our muppet supporters who couldn't tell a talented player from a Subbuteto figure.
    Watch that video clip please mate. There's a clear lack of effort.
    https://youtu.be/mMkEhVhRh14

All people are saying is they wouldn't want him in a PL scrap for survival.

I'd have him here alongside Poyet anyday while we're in the C/L1.
    That certainly looks indefensible.

But how many similar clips exist from his six year playing career?

Something has obviously gone wrong with him but very sadly a lot has at Swansea in the last few months.
    Hope both turn it round fast

• Options
    Is he holding his hamstring?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

He wouldn't give 2 shits about charlton if palace came a calling, why would he? Get real. He's suited to palace style of play and if he liked pardew then he's re-united with him...living back in London area close to family and probably on a nice increased contract and at a more secure club with more sexy ambition and general threat.

No brainer from his perspective IMO.

Realistically I very much doubt any emotion from being an ex addick at a young age would make any difference here. I might be wrong.

Lets face it though, our 'rivalries' are effectively on hold while we are not in the same division of our two rivals.. also, our struggle with the ownership of our own club is our main rival at this moment in time!
  • Options
    12m fee agreed
  • Options

12m fee agreed

I heard that fee this morning and almost crashed the car. Just wow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35290127

The former Arsenal and West Ham youth team player played in Swansea's Europa League campaign in 2013, where they famously beat Spanish side Valencia, before eventually losing to Italian giants Napoli.
    Because playing for Arsenal academy for 2 years when he was 10 is more relevant than the 49 first team games he played for us...

To be fair they left Liverpool out as well.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

The former Arsenal and West Ham youth team player played in Swansea's Europa League campaign in 2013, where they famously beat Spanish side Valencia, before eventually losing to Italian giants Napoli.
    Because playing for Arsenal academy for 2 years when he was 10 is more relevant than the 49 first team games he played for us...
    Shelvey joined Swansea from Liverpool for an initial fee of £5m in July 2013 and helped the Swans to their highest Premier League finish of eighth in the 2014-15 season.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

No they didn't - the article actually says

"Shelvey joined Swansea from Liverpool for an initial fee of £5m in July 2013 and helped the Swans to their highest Premier League finish of eighth in the 2014-15 season.
    The former Arsenal and West Ham youth team player ...."

Any mention of the 4 years as a youth player and first team for us is not mentioned
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

Shelvey joined Swansea from Liverpool for an initial fee of £5m in July 2013 and helped the Swans to their highest Premier League finish of eighth in the 2014-15 season.
    Sorry I meant the part that you quoted previous.

Good buy for Newcastle?
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

ChiAddick said:

Sorry I meant the part that you quoted previous.

Good buy for Newcastle?

They need a forward who can score more than anything else though.

Strange to see both Shelvey and Elliott at Newcastle
  • Options
    12 million what? It can't be pounds surely?

That's complete madness.
  • Options
    This move feels like a bad one for JonJo. My bet is that it'll last 2 years and he'll be back in London playing for West Ham in 2018.
  • Options

This move feels like a bad one for JonJo. My bet is that it'll last 2 years and he'll be back in London playing for West Ham in 2018.

Yea. Something doesn't sit right here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He seems a bit sulky at times....can't see that working out well with Geordies
  • Options
    He is still a young man, he will learn
  • Options

Rovert Lee, Lee Bowyer, Scott Parker, Jonjo Shelvey...

Certainly Parker's time up there was a bit of a career dead end, he only got his England place back when he moved to West Ham
  • Options
    This site is a place of extremes for Jonjo

You have the ones who outright think he's shit and didn't like him when he played for us

And the other side in which I am, where I loved watching him play for us, show real quality and passion and also showed us that he's a decent human being by signing when he could have easily not chained himself into a contract and who know @uncle into the bargain.

What I think I'm trying to say is its hard to get an objective view of him on this site.

My mates who are not charlton fans and who know football generally rate Jonjo. A mate of mine who is a Liverpool season ticket holder was fuming when they sold him and kept spearing. The landlord in my local who watches a disgusting amount of football (yiddo) loves him and can see the mistakes he has made you have to accept because whilst he may let the red mist descend and get himself sent off occasionally he can also drag you back from 2 nil down to win 3-2
  • Options
    I think Newcastle fans will love him
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    My stance on Jonjo is neither overly good or bad.

I loved him when he was here, I was so pleased to hear that I had won the raffle for Jonjo's table at the sponsor dinner.

I was massively dissapointed he wasnt there for it.

I thought he looked good most of the time for liverpool.

For Swansea he has had ups and downs, though the negatives seem to be outweighing the positives at the moment...

He has heart, skill and determination by the loads.

What he doesnt have are pace, fitness or patience. He'll lose his rag but Geordie's will see that as passion.

Newcastle? They'll love him.
  • Options
    Agree. I loved jonjo. His passing ability is up there with the best.

Garry Monk dropped him and pretty much accused him of being lazy. Liverpool got rid. Newcastle are certainly a lower half prem side.
  • Options
    He has moved to a bigger club but whether he remains in the top flight with his new club remains to be seen. I think he will.
    Good move for him, and good to have him back from abroad, the media will see more of him now.
  • Options
    Whilst clearly not at this stage of his career quite a "Le Tissier or Hoddle" he is that type of player and one a team could be built around. The difficulty is that modern football at the highest level rarely allows that sort of luxury player to operate because managers (and supporters for that matter) expect all ten outfield players to "put a shift in". We also now have far more of a "pressing" game than we had decades ago so there isn't the same amount of time on the ball.

So, Jonjo needs to compromise at times and a bit like a batsman know when the right time to play the right shot is i.e. the areas of the pitch he can look to play that match changing ball. He also needs to work harder at his discipline and accept that, again using the cricketing analogy, the opposition fast bowler will always try to wind the batsman up all the time he knows that it works doing so. But there is no point winding up a Sanchin Tendulkar if you know that it will make him try harder and play better. And that is what Jonjo has to make himself - impervious to the negatives that are going on around him.

Jonjo is still relatively young but is soon to be 24 and has now been playing pro football for almost eight years. I'm sure that, if he grabs this opportunity, he will become a big success at Newcastle and eventually move on to a top six club. He just needs to show a bit of maturity and, in the same way that Rooney had to learn to, curb the sides of his game that undermine what makes him "different".
  • Options
    Jonjo is still relatively young but is soon to be 24 and has now been playing pro football for almost eight years. I'm sure that, if he grabs this opportunity, he will become a big success at Newcastle and eventually move on to a top six club. He just needs to show a bit of maturity and, in the same way that Rooney had to learn to, curb the sides of his game that undermine what makes him "different".
    Rooney's been shite since he calmed a bit.