Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey to Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    I definitely don't think it's a bad move for him at all. However personally think whether it's a good move or not will be down to Jonjo himself.

Newcastle isn't an easy place to play, in fact you could argue it may be the most difficult.

A lot of fans on Twitter are very happy with the move. Really hope he does well there and shows the country he is the player we all know he can be. He is already on the fringe of the England squad and to me Swansea no longer seemed like the best place for him to develop.

Good luck Jonjo.
  • Options
    Quality player but has to settle somewhere soon.
  • Options
    Another player who needs to watch Kinsella ply to learn. If there is a man 3 feet away then pas to him. The 50 yard pass isn't always the best option. Shelvey lacks good coaching in my opinion. Could be a superb player but time will run out for him if he's not careful. You shouldn't be lazy on 50k a week.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Jonjo is still relatively young but is soon to be 24 and has now been playing pro football for almost eight years. I'm sure that, if he grabs this opportunity, he will become a big success at Newcastle and eventually move on to a top six club. He just needs to show a bit of maturity and, in the same way that Rooney had to learn to, curb the sides of his game that undermine what makes him "different".
    Rooney's been shite since he calmed a bit.

Since 2008/9, when Rooney was the same age as Jonjo is now, he has played 379 matches for club and country scoring 197 goals, been booked 51 times and sent off on just three occasions.

So, he has averaged 50 matches a season, scored at a rate of better than every other game, been booked on average about half a dozen times a season and sent off once every other season.

If Jonjo between now and then gets anywhere near those stats, he and every one else should be very proud of his achievements.
  • Options
    That's a very big if.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Jonjo is still relatively young but is soon to be 24 and has now been playing pro football for almost eight years. I'm sure that, if he grabs this opportunity, he will become a big success at Newcastle and eventually move on to a top six club. He just needs to show a bit of maturity and, in the same way that Rooney had to learn to, curb the sides of his game that undermine what makes him "different".
    Rooney's been shite since his hair transplant he calmed a bit.

• Options
    Hopefully he'll do better @ Newcastle... Swansea's problem at the moment is they don't have anyone that can score, that means that Jonjo can set all the chances but because they're being missed, the blame will be on Striker not scoring and the Midfielder who supposedly isnt creating anything for them.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    My opinion is my opinion,so here goes.

Jonjo got the move to Liverpool too early for his football career; but not too early for his bank account. (he couldn't turn it down)

Jonjo had the long pass in his armoury but decision making and discipline was always going to be a problem as he was a young competitive guy who would use verbals on the field and Steve Gerrard was the gaffer in midfield at Anfield and as we know; Jonjo is no respecter of reputations.

One of the finest sights Ever was seeing Shelvey giving the bully Alex Ferguson stick, joining a small band of 3 who stood up to him ?
    JP Mcmanus and John Magnier, being the other 2.
    But others in the game saw that as a weakness and not a strength.

If Jonjo had gone to Liverpool at 24 ( his age in a months time) via Swansea,
    Then his game may of been more mature than the hit and miss it is at the moment as the lad has so much talent and sounds like a good lad at heart.
  • Options

Hopefully he'll do better @ Newcastle... Swansea's problem at the moment is they don't have anyone that can score, that means that Jonjo can set all the chances but because they're being missed, the blame will be on Striker not scoring and the Midfielder who supposedly isnt creating anything for them.

When I see Swansea on the box I don't see too many chances being created by their midfield but they do take 200 passes to get from the goalkeeper to halfway then back again.

Shelvey can hit a long pass but he's a bit of a carthorse.
  • Options
    Good player with a clear attitude problem which means he'll never make the top drawer whereever he plays. But Newcastle? Not the best move football wise I feel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think the Geordies will love the fella.

Not sure McClarens the right man to man manage him though. I had the same thought about Benitez.
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

ChiAddick said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35290127

The former Arsenal and West Ham youth team player played in Swansea's Europa League campaign in 2013, where they famously beat Spanish side Valencia, before eventually losing to Italian giants Napoli.
    Because playing for Arsenal academy for 2 years when he was 10 is more relevant than the 49 first team games he played for us...
    To be fair they left Liverpool out as well.
    Shelvey joined Swansea from Liverpool for an initial fee of £5m in July 2013 and helped the Swans to their highest Premier League finish of eighth in the 2014-15 season.
    Sorry I meant the part that you quoted previous.

Good buy for Newcastle?

They need a forward who can score more than anything else though.

Strange to see both Shelvey and Elliott at Newcastle
    Dazzler21 said:

ChiAddick said:

ChiAddick said:

The former Arsenal and West Ham youth team player played in Swansea's Europa League campaign in 2013, where they famously beat Spanish side Valencia, before eventually losing to Italian giants Napoli.
    Because playing for Arsenal academy for 2 years when he was 10 is more relevant than the 49 first team games he played for us...
    To be fair they left Liverpool out as well.
    Shelvey joined Swansea from Liverpool for an initial fee of £5m in July 2013 and helped the Swans to their highest Premier League finish of eighth in the 2014-15 season.
    Sorry I meant the part that you quoted previous.

Good buy for Newcastle?
    They need a forward who can score more than anything else though.

Strange to see both Shelvey and Elliott at Newcastle

The proper charlton of the north.

And with black and white scarves, does that make us .................

Anyway off to Huddersfield, Howay the Addicks
  • Options
    12m for a fairly average English midfielder, who promised great things but hasn't really delivered much, just goes to show why a lot of clubs shop abroad.
  • Options
    Think it's reasonable for an England international and his form was good early in the season it seems more a mental issue with whats going on at Swansea.

A lot of teams from this Summer I'm sure would take Shelvey for 12m rather than some of their imports who haven't made a difference. See Sunderland, Southampton, Villa and Newcastle themselves.
  • Options

My opinion is my opinion,so here goes.

Jonjo got the move to Liverpool too early for his football career; but not too early for his bank account. (he couldn't turn it down)

More to the point, we couldn't turn it down. What was truly shocking about that season was that we sold Shelvey before the end, while still in the playoffs
  • Options

He should probably be scoring more himself by now too.
  • Options
    He has only just got married, has a young Baby and things may change again In the near future for him, he is deserved of an England place. He is a great guy to boot, I can't say a bad word about the lad, treated my son in a Manor that you can only wish all footballers would
  • Options
    Jonjo Shelvey £12m
    Riyad Mahrez £320k
  • Options
    Carthorse? Attitude problem?? Average English midfielder???

Well, it's all about opinions on a forum I guess
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read the BBC article-

The former Arsenal and West Ham youth team player
    featured in Swansea's Europa League campaign in 2013, where they beat Spanish side Valencia, before eventually losing to Italian club Napoli.

Shelvey has now won six England caps but his performances this season have frustrated many Swansea fans .

I must have imagined him coming through our youth system...
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Is he holding his hamstring?

Seems his hamstring is fine
  • Options

Read the BBC article-

The former Arsenal and West Ham youth team player
    featured in Swansea's Europa League campaign in 2013, where they beat Spanish side Valencia, before eventually losing to Italian club Napoli.

Shelvey has now won six England caps but his performances this season have frustrated many Swansea fans .

I must have imagined him coming through our youth system...

it's like they really tried incredibly hard to ignore us.
  • Options
    Apparently Liverpool will get £500,000 out of this, so we ought to get £100,000?
    What is our income from the NHS call centre?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Rooney's been shite since he calmed a bit.
    Since 2008/9, when Rooney was the same age as Jonjo is now, he has played 380 matches for club and country scoring 199 goals, been booked 51 times and sent off on just three occasions.

So, he has averaged 50 matches a season, scored at a rate of better than every other game, been booked on average about half a dozen times a season and sent off once every other season.

If Jonjo between now and then gets anywhere near those stats, he and every one else should be very proud of his achievements.

Edited. Outstanding record especially when one considers that at times of his career he's had to play as a midfielder, even at one point under Fergy as some sort of quarter back.
  • Options
    daily mail, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
  • Options

daily mail, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

• Options
    5 & 1/2 year deal .. he's a lucky man to get that long .. McLaren must have a lot of faith in him
  • Options
    Had a sensational debut.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Had a sensational debut.

But could have got sent off in the first half...