Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Tue 12 Jan | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Headlines
Charlton Athletic exit the FA Cup after a 2-1 defeat at the hands of League One strugglers: Colchester United, @ElfsborgAddick is it main fan to come away from Essex with credibility after politely giving Karel Fraeye directions to St. Pancras for the EuroStar (Sadly yet to be used)

On the Managerial front, it appears as though Jose Riga will be returning to Charlton as Manager, which means the protesters have a few years to plan and prepare for the reappointment of Karel Fraeye as Interim Manager (I’d like to welcome back Karel in 2017, don’t get too comfortable mate)

Introduction
Everyone enjoys a cup run don’t they… It’s a nice break from League football (where like our situation we lose every week), you get to play a few teams that you don’t always play (or in Charlton’s case its usually a Championship side we only played a few weeks ago), and then there is the hope that if you survive for long enough, you’ll get a day out at Wembley… Sadly Charlton fans, none of that will happen, as already mentioned, the FA Cup dream is already over for another season, all we’ve got to look forward to is a couple of months of League action with no other distractions.

So with the dust all but settling around the grounds from Saturday, it’s an instant return to league action this Tuesday night… We’ve already heard that many Managers feel that, by playing a league game so close to the Cup, devalues the competition, and that because of this, many clubs have been forced to field players who don’t even make the bench (Whereas Charlton just fielded those who tend to make the bench)…

It’s an important one this Tuesday night, and if reports are to believed, Jose Riga is coming back… Oh the irony, he joined us immediately after we crashed out of the FA Cup, if he joins prior to tomorrow, his first match in charge will once again be against Huddersfield Town

The Opposition

Name: Huddersfield Town | Manager: David Wagner
Ground: John Smith’s Stadium | Nickname: The Terriers

The two seasons prior to Charlton winning League One saw those winners simply passing through the Championship on their way straight into the Premier League (Norwich City and Southampton respectively), when Charlton were promoted… Oh what could have been had we received the funding when that run was abruptly ended when Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield all failed to mount serious promotion challenges…

Fast forward four years now and happily, all three teams are still in the Championship (for now), Sheffield Wednesday have decided to spend big in an attempt to get promoted (Maybe we’ll see how they do if they fail this season), whilst Huddersfield and Charlton continue battling at the wrong end of the table, the two sides originally met in September with Huddersfield, under the legend that is Chris Powell (@Colin1961’s words not mine) winning 2-1 at the Valley

Since that day Huddersfield have been in danger of relegation, yet have managed to keep a safe distance to avoid being dragged into any scrappy fights, they sit in eighteenth (18th) place and are eight points ahead of the Addicks, a win will surely relieve David Wagner of any pressure whilst defeat could drag the Terriers back further into the fight, they’ve won their last two home games against Preston and Rotherham so three points this Tuesday won’t be easy.

Charlton Team News
You have to hope that Karel Fraeye put out a weakened side against Colchester deliberately so that we could get out of the competition and so concentrate on the League, first teamers were rested which gave Nick Pope some game time, you’d expect Stephen Henderson to return in goal, whilst good news returned with Cristian Ceballos and Igor Vetokele getting some game time… Sadly Jordan Cousins limped off against Colchester with a knee injury joining the likes of Patrick Bauer and Ahmed Kashi (Just wanted to write his name for once) in the physio room.

Henderson
Solly ... Johnson … Lennon … Holmes-Dennis
Gudmundsson … Poyet … Ceballos … Harriott
Ghoochannejhad … Makienok

Substitutes Bench: Pope ... Williams … Sarr … Ba … Diarra … Vetokele … Vaz Te

Prediction
Huddersfield Town 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    Town to win 3-0
  • Options
    Is there any news on Jordan's injury?

This is the team I might expect to see (depending on who's manager...)

Henderson
    Solly ... Johnson … Lennon … Fox
    Gudmundsson … Poyet … Williams … Harriott
    Ghoochannejhad … Vaz Te

Substitutes Bench: Pope ... Holmes-Dennis … Sarr … Ba … Diarra … Vetokele … Makienok
  • Options
    In regards to Jordan Cousins I'd be surprised if he's not sent for a scan today (Is there anywhere open to do it on a Sunday?)

You'd drop Ceballos from the squad @Pedro45?
  • Options
    Henderson
    Solly ... Johnson … Lennon … Fox
    Diarra
    Poyet …Williams
    Gudmundsson Harriott
    Vaz Te
  • Options
    It's so hard to build up any optimism
  • Options
    edited January 2016

In regards to Jordan Cousins I'd be surprised if he's not sent for a scan today (Is there anywhere open to do it on a Sunday?)

You'd drop Ceballos from the squad @Pedro45?

No, forgot him! Sorry. I'd have him as a sub (probably instead of Diarra, who I don't think will be fit for tonight) - Ceballos obviously is not anywhere near fit yet, so the most we can hope is 45 mins.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I'd go for

Henderson

Solly, Williams, Diarra, Fox

Gudmundsson, Poyet, Cellabos, Harriett

Reza, Mac
  • Options
    Henderson, Solly, Johnson, Lennon, Fox, Poyet, Diarra, JBG, Reza, Harriott, Vaz Te
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Henderson
    Solly Williams Johnson Holmes-Dennis
    Poyet Diarra
    Ceballos Gudmundsson Harriott
    Makienock

Should be a little more solid. Well, anything is when you're not playing 3-1-6.

1-1 : Gudmundsson 77'
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    --------SH
    CS---RJ---RW--THD
    --------AD
    JBG-----DP-----CH
    ----RVT---RG

Subs:

Pope
    Lennon
    Charles-Cook
    Ba
    Eballos
    Makienok

Still lose.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Can't see how we can turn round recent form to win here. Could be the last chance to see Karel Fraeye's revolutionary 1-1-3-1-2-0-2 formation.

Another grim night for the 76 travelling fans, 0-3.
  • Options
    Is JJ still injured? I would rather have him in midfield than Ceballos unless Diarra is fit, and the way Johnson played on Saturday, I would rather start with Williams
  • Options
    I'm beyond caring - 8-0
  • Options
    Hendo
    Solly - Williams - Johnson - THD
    JBG - Poyet - Ba - Harriott
    Vaz Te - Makienok
  • Options
    Suspect as there has been no announcement by now that we have Karel Kalamity in charge again tomorrow. Which rules out any point in trying to predict a formation.
  • Options
    Charlton midfielder Jordan Cousins should be back for this weekend’s Championship match at Hull City.
    The Addicks star suffered a knee injury in last Saturday’s FA Cup defeat at Colchester United and needed to be replaced in the first half by Igor Vetokele.
    Cousins underwent a scan yesterday and although he will sit out tomorrow’s trip to Huddersfield, that is likely to be the only game he misses.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Henderson
    Poyet Diarra
    Makienock

Dare I say it, I quite like the look of that lineup.
  • Options
    Alou Diarra (bruised foot), Patrick Bauer (abdomen) and Ademola Lookman (hamstring) remain doubts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

Alou Diarra (bruised foot), Patrick Bauer (abdomen) and Ademola Lookman (hamstring) remain doubts.

Where are you getting this from?
  • Options
    Sage said:

Henderson
    Poyet Diarra
    Makienock

My only concern is that Defence... Would a team have had so many left footers in it before though as I count five in that team
  • Options

ross1 said:

Where are you getting this from?
    Richard Cawley, South London Press
  • Options
    Cheers
  • Options
    3-0 Huddersfield
  • Options
    NomSoup said:

Sage said:

Henderson
    Poyet Diarra
    Makienock

Dare I say it, I quite like the look of that lineup.
    Doing my coaching badges at Uni at the moment, I'm easily qualified for the job now right?
  • Options

Sage said:

Henderson
    Poyet Diarra
    Makienock

My only concern is that Defence... Would a team have had so many left footers in it before though as I count five in that team
    4 in that team, meaning 7 right footers.

Admittedly, the 3 behind Makienock are left footed but we don't have the options and Harriott gives balance so that takes it down to 2. Gudmundsson links well with Makienock so is like a replacement for a left footed striker in a way. And Ceballos, well we don't have an out and out right footed winger.

Poyet and Diarra shielding the defence should help out.

Williams and Johnson are proven at this level. Then we have Solly and well Holmes-Dennis is better than Fox.

:-)
  • Options
    A gallant effort by the Addicks..........Hudds 3 Charlton 1
  • Options

Sage said:

Henderson
    Poyet Diarra
    Makienock

Not sure now is the right time to be bringing religion into our predicament
  • Options
    4-0 Hudds if that mug is still in charge.