Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watt to remain at The Valley (ed. GONE Blackburn to get much needed game time again)

Comments

• Options
    Dr Kish reckons our January activity is dependent on selling Watt for £2M.
  • Options
    Can he actually play for anyone else? Thought u can't play for 3 different teams a season! If so and we've rejected there loan he has to stay! X
  • Options

Well we are fucked then. Any club wanting Watt know they have us over a barrel and won't pay anywhere near £2 million. If we don't spend at least that on some players we will be relegated by the end of February.

Very clever Roland. Relegation won't cost you much will it.

• Options
    JS5 said:

Can he actually play for anyone else? Thought u can't play for 3 different teams a season! If so and we've rejected there loan he has to stay! X

I think it's no more than three clubs a season. Could be wrong.

Well we are fucked then. Any club wanting Watt know they have us over a barrel and won't pay anywhere near £2 million. If we don't spend at least that on some players we will be relegated by the end of February.

Very clever Roland. Relegation won't cost you much will it.

I agree. We're done. Also has to be the right players. Past experience gives me little hope.
  • Options
    "Watt to remain at The Valley"

Poor bugger.
  • Options

JS5 said:

I think it's no more than three clubs a season. Could be wrong.
    Seems to me as if they can only play for 2 aside from if it's an emergency loan?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1248600/Fulhams-Nicky-Shorey-FIFA-probe-playing-club-season.html

Taken from 2010 though so could be wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Has Riga ever coached him previously? I think Watt's brief time at Standard was under Luzon and Vukomanovic and he came here when Peeters was in charge, of course, before Riga's 2nd spell at Liege.
  • Options
    Yeah I think that's right, Riga hasn't coached Watt before. I was worried about maybe Watt and JBG getting in but as JBG is currently playing shite maybe that's less of an issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    The club will have to contend with the possibility that TW may not want to play for us after such a successful spell at a currently better club.

If he does play then it will take a top man-Manager to get him in the mental frame of mind required to get the best out of him - an almost superhuman effort!

Fingers crossed Mr. Riga can achieve that.
  • Options

Yeah I think that's right, Riga hasn't coached Watt before. I was worried about maybe Watt and JBG getting in but as JBG is currently playing shite maybe that's less of an issue.

It could be that under Riga both Watt and JBG respond and get good form.... If he can turn things so that players get to fight to be on the team rather than to fight one another that's got to be good.
  • Options
    I hope so
  • Options

An on form TWWW & a fully fit Igor are one of the last straws we've got left to clutch at.
    The brief purple patch they experienced together last year was one of the few highlights of the season (even if Vetokele wasn't 100%).
    Are we going to sign a striker capable of getting us out of this mess this month?
    No, instead we can but hope for some real defensive reinforcements and the best attackers we currently have to hit form & fitness (Watt, Igor, Lookman, JBG, Harriott... Vaz Te?).

Where have you been ? We already have them. The board recognise that they have made mistakes & moved immediately in January to reinforce the squad. Williams, Johnson & Poyet, step forward our saviours.
  • Options

Can still be sold in the summer, so that doesn't quite stack up for me. It's unlikely the megalomaniac has a cashflow problem. More likely an excuse to sell Lookman.
    Financial year end is 30 June so that will be the budget cut-off.

• Options
    Tony Watt....

I don't know the guy but objectively speaking and based on our current predicament, I can't see him being that motivated by the thought of playing for us again.

This is where we can only hope Riga has special man management in store. For players like Watt it's probably mostly psychological then anything else.
    The fact that he's been hitting the target for Cardiff can't hurt either. He might even come back a stronger character.

If Riga can get the best out of Watt in more or less every game...then believe it or not, we would have increased our chances of staying up ....on one side of the pitch at least.
  • Options
    If I was a player, I wouldn't want to be losing every week and for that reason, wouldn't be happy with a player like Watt being loaned out. Whether I hated the bloke or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JS5 said:

Poyet played for West ham and MK Dons, then came on loan to us so that can't be right.
  • Options

Maybe Riga will send Mrs Vetokele on holiday for the rest of the season. Might help reduce risk of recurring groin strain.

I reckon Riga would try another method to keep Mrs Vetokele "busy".
  • Options

Can still be sold in the summer, so that doesn't quite stack up for me. It's unlikely the megalomaniac has a cashflow problem. More likely an excuse to sell Lookman.
    But the same value cannot be assured in the summer. A ready buyer now is different to a maybe in 6 months time. If he stays with us his value will fall unless he returns to dramatically improve results.

So unless RD is persuaded by Jose to invest beyond his prior financial forecast sales are inevitable.

Not sure Lookman has done enough to persuade serious bids yet but I don't dismiss it either. More likely JBG jumps ship based on current form / apparent interest in playing for us.

For me depends on what Jose was told on recruitment when he signed. Cardiff issues aren't a fault of this regime and appears to be a very unfortunate coincidence that hurts us yet more when we least need it.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Watt and Lookman up front in a 4-4-2

---------------Henderson
    Solly---Bauer---Diarra---Charles Cook
    Gudmundsson-Poyet-Cousins-Harriott
    -----------Watt----Lookman
  • Options
    I think we should send Poyet back. He didn't want us and now we don't want him. Ruined by his own greed. We can and need to do better.
  • Options
    How about Umerah and Lookman up front with Watt just behind them?

Henderson
    Solly .. Sarr .. Lennon .. THD
    Gudmundsson .. Cousins .. Harriott
    Watt
    Umerah .. Lookman
  • Options

How about Umerah and Lookman up front with Watt just behind them?

Henderson
    Solly .. Sarr .. Lennon .. THD
    Gudmundsson .. Cousins .. Harriott
    Watt
    Umerah .. Lookman

I'd stick with Vetokele upfront, for now.

I really hope Watt can play that role for us as we desperately need someone to like midfield and attack now that Gudmundsson has decided to rest up before the Euro's. Saw some encouraging signs from Harriott early yesterday but we need much, much more creativity if we're going to survive.
  • Options
    Both those teams would get relegated in my opinion. We need more players to survive. If I was Riga I would be looking to do the following with my first 11:

Henderson (although we could do with him saving more)
    Solly...Johnson....Bauer....THD
    Diarra
    New winger New winger
    JBG
    New big striker Watt

Cousins, Lookman & Vetokele would also get alot of game time and be rotated with the midfielders / strikers as required.
  • Options
    Midfield need to be full of fitness and graft IMO. Defence needs a left back and centre half as Lennon, and Sarr are not up to it. Midfield needs an Alex Pritchard type.