Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watt to remain at The Valley (ed. GONE Blackburn to get much needed game time again)

Comments

• Options

JS5 said:

Can he actually play for anyone else? Thought u can't play for 3 different teams a season! If so and we've rejected there loan he has to stay! X

Poyet played for West ham and MK Dons, then came on loan to us so that can't be right.
    It's not so long ago that Tony Cottee played in all four divisions in a single season. I think someone might have done it more recently than him too.
  • Options
    I used to watch Standard Liege when Watt was in the team. He obviously wanted out, so he just basically went through motions. I feel sure if he is included in our team again, he will just go through the motions once again.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

stonemuse said:

RedChaser said:

Dr Kish reckons our January activity is dependent on selling Watt for £2M.

Well we are fucked then. Any club wanting Watt know they have us over a barrel and won't pay anywhere near £2 million. If we don't spend at least that on some players we will be relegated by the end of February.

Very clever Roland. Relegation won't cost you much will it.

Serves him right...........oh hang in a minute it's only pocket change to RD, Damn! :disappointed:
    Still not convinced he has spent much anyway ...isn't it all now debt owed by the club back to RD?
    Highly likely it'll be shown in the accounts as Directors loans or from one of the companies he owns in the group. And no doubt those loans are secured on the fixed assets albeit behind existing charges to banks / other secured creditors. If not which would be rather careless of him, then he has to wait for a willing buyer to repay the 'personal debt'.
    Loans are from Staprix - I don't think he needs a charge on the assets as he owns and controls them. He does rank behind the £7m owed to the old board, but I don't think there is any other debt now apart from day to day credit on trading. The former bank debt will now sit with Staprix.

Since he gets to determine the terms of any sale with the purchaser, I'm not sure why making a charge on the assets would be of any value?
    I bow to your more in depth knowledge of the accounts however the Staprix bank debt is highly likely to be secured by a debenture or fixed charge over that companies assets and then as you say the former directors loans are similarly secured, whether they rank before the bank is unlikely to be the case.

Regarding him taking a charge on the assets it depends what sale price is agreed and he may be prepared accept less and just do what the former directors have done to protect their debt if he hasn't done so already (assuming he has made loans in his personal capacity to cover the running losses).
    The loans to the old board are the subject of a legal agreement that sets out the priorities. The mortgage debt on the north stand having been repaid, they now have the first legal charge over The Valley, etc.

Not sure if you're suggesting otherwise, but I'm confident RD won't get in ahead of the old board in the debt hierarchy (and so are they), whatever he does with Staprix. Otherwise the agreement would be worthless and would have been with the BVI company as owner too.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Can still be sold in the summer, so that doesn't quite stack up for me. It's unlikely the megalomaniac has a cashflow problem. More likely an excuse to sell Lookman.
    Financial year end is 30 June so that will be the budget cut-off.

Melexis N.V. paid a dividend of £21.3m (€1.30 div x 21,644,399 shares) to their majority shareholder (Xtrion) on October 22nd. I suspect Roland (Xtrion) can struggle through without having to worry too much about a fee for Tony Watt!
    Tel, you are missing my point. It is not about needing the cash - it is about needing to prove he is right. He has set KM a budget target. (Remember she once mentioned having a target budget for player sales?) 30 June is the day of reckoning, after which it all gets totted up and reported. If we don't sell Watt or Lookman till the summer, that leaves a hole in this year's books. To them, it is simply a numbers game.
    Sad but true
  • Options
    Loup086 said:

I used to watch Standard Liege when Watt was in the team. He obviously wanted out, so he just basically went through motions. I feel sure if he is included in our team again, he will just go through the motions once again.

A bit like the entire team is now.
  • Options

George Graham always said he didn't care if he didn't like a player, he'd pick him if he was going to win him football matches. He wasn't a bad manager was he?

At the Bromley meeting immediately after Curbishley left, Murray insinuated that Graham had applied for the job.

Bet we would have stayed up that season.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

stonemuse said:

RedChaser said:

Well we are fucked then. Any club wanting Watt know they have us over a barrel and won't pay anywhere near £2 million. If we don't spend at least that on some players we will be relegated by the end of February.

Serves him right...........oh hang in a minute it's only pocket change to RD, Damn! :disappointed:
    Still not convinced he has spent much anyway ...isn't it all now debt owed by the club back to RD?
    Highly likely it'll be shown in the accounts as Directors loans or from one of the companies he owns in the group. And no doubt those loans are secured on the fixed assets albeit behind existing charges to banks / other secured creditors. If not which would be rather careless of him, then he has to wait for a willing buyer to repay the 'personal debt'.
    Loans are from Staprix - I don't think he needs a charge on the assets as he owns and controls them. He does rank behind the £7m owed to the old board, but I don't think there is any other debt now apart from day to day credit on trading. The former bank debt will now sit with Staprix.

Since he gets to determine the terms of any sale with the purchaser, I'm not sure why making a charge on the assets would be of any value?
    I bow to your more in depth knowledge of the accounts however the Staprix bank debt is highly likely to be secured by a debenture or fixed charge over that companies assets and then as you say the former directors loans are similarly secured, whether they rank before the bank is unlikely to be the case.

Regarding him taking a charge on the assets it depends what sale price is agreed and he may be prepared accept less and just do what the former directors have done to protect their debt if he hasn't done so already (assuming he has made loans in his personal capacity to cover the running losses).
    The loans to the old board are the subject of a legal agreement that sets out the priorities. The mortgage debt on the north stand having been repaid, they now have the first legal charge over The Valley, etc.

Not sure if you're suggesting otherwise, but I'm confident RD won't get in ahead of the old board in the debt hierarchy (and so are they), whatever he does with Staprix. Otherwise the agreement would be worthless and would have been with the BVI company as owner too.
    Ok @Airman Brown so if are you saying the previous bank borrowing was repaid by Staprix who took over the debt against a charge over the land and buildings (if it is a debenture it would also cover current assets such as debtors) this makes sense and the former directors have been given priority for their £7m. In which case I agree that RD couldn't get ahead of them in the pecking order.

The original point raised by Stonemuse was that he hasn't actually spent much money but of course he has indirectly through Staprix as majority shareholder in lifting the bank mortgage. It will be interesting to see the clubs latest accounts to see how the ongoing losses are being funded which if by Staprix they will be covered by by the existing charge or whether by unsecured directors (personal) loans from RD. However this would not be a sensible move as he would rank not only behind the former directors and Staprix but behind the preferential creditors in line with all other creditors in the event if a winding up.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Both those teams would get relegated in my opinion. We need more players to survive. If I was Riga I would be looking to do the following with my first 11:

Henderson (although we could do with him saving more)
    Solly...Johnson....Bauer....THD
    Diarra
    New winger New winger
    JBG
    New big striker Watt

Cousins, Lookman & Vetokele would also get alot of game time and be rotated with the midfielders / strikers as required.

Two wingers, two strikers and JBG? That's even more attacking than the unbalanced teams KF was putting out.
    All I am suggesting is that we play 442 (the most common formation in football) with players who are good enough going forward. Most 442 teams have two strikers, two wide men and one centre mid who can create. That why other teams have shots and score goals. Its not working with the current 433 set up where we have one stranded striker, wingers who cant beat championship full backs and a team that doesn't look like scoring from the min we kick off is it?

If we got some wingers in who brought some excitement / service to our game I even think big Mak might score once a month.
    Harriot left wing - bags of pace.
    Lookman - right wing? I think he can play there.
    Solly & Fox overlapping wing backs as long as Harriot & Lookman do their defensive duties if they are overlapped.
    Watt & Mak up front with JBG in the hole/and to pick up any scraps from the edge of the box and a bit deeper.
    That leaves one midfielder/play breaker required - a decent ball winner - Diarra?

Big question mark over Harriot & Lookman being able to defend - maybe the two full backs would not need to overlap that often if CH & AL habitually running fast at full backs?
    Diarra drops in front of the two CD's when not in possession.
  • Options

George Graham always said he didn't care if he didn't like a player, he'd pick him if he was going to win him football matches. He wasn't a bad manager was he?

At the Bromley meeting immediately after Curbishley left, Murray insinuated that Graham had applied for the job.

Would've been a no brainer for one season at least. Since when were we too good for George Graham? And since when was Dowie better?! Richard Murray...
  • Options

Watt supposedly had a bust up with either Luzon or JBG . One is gone and the other clearly don't give a shit so Watt going ain't improved his effort or attitude.
    The team spirit is non existent and has been for months. That's not down to Watt. Any player clumped by an opponent or gets shit from a ref and your on your own --- not a murmur from the other 10 so called team mates.
    Look at the video of the dressing room pre Hudds or read the thread about the Dad who took his son into the dressing room against Hull---- like a morgue except the dead are faster than Johnson.
    JR's first job drop all the players who clearly don't give a shit and make the point u stand little chance of going somewhere better if you can't even get in this team and no chance of going to the EUROs if your attitude is shit.
    Watt needs a last chance assuming we arnt 100% comited to selling him.

What thread is the dad who took his kid into the dressing room?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading Curb's blog. Blimey, I know he got well paid but it's a ridiculous lifestyle. No wonder he always had bags under his eyes. Surely, no way he could work like that now?
  • Options
    I'm assuming he is due back at Sparrows Lane today?
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Watt supposedly had a bust up with either Luzon or JBG . One is gone and the other clearly don't give a shit so Watt going ain't improved his effort or attitude.
    The team spirit is non existent and has been for months. That's not down to Watt. Any player clumped by an opponent or gets shit from a ref and your on your own --- not a murmur from the other 10 so called team mates.
    Look at the video of the dressing room pre Hudds or read the thread about the Dad who took his son into the dressing room against Hull---- like a morgue except the dead are faster than Johnson.
    JR's first job drop all the players who clearly don't give a shit and make the point u stand little chance of going somewhere better if you can't even get in this team and no chance of going to the EUROs if your attitude is shit.
    Watt needs a last chance assuming we arnt 100% comited to selling him.

What thread is the dad who took his kid into the dressing room?
    @Dizzle Here you go; http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2374068/#Comment_2374068
  • Options
    Cheers @RedChaser
  • Options
    Watt didn't play on Saturday (the final game of his loan spell) but Cardiff won 3-1 at Wolves so they didn't appear to miss him...
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

stonemuse said:

RedChaser said:

Ok @Airman Brown so if are you saying the previous bank borrowing was repaid by Staprix who took over the debt against a charge over the land and buildings (if it is a debenture it would also cover current assets such as debtors) this makes sense and the former directors have been given priority for their £7m. In which case I agree that RD couldn't get ahead of them in the pecking order.

The original point raised by Stonemuse was that he hasn't actually spent much money but of course he has indirectly through Staprix as majority shareholder in lifting the bank mortgage. It will be interesting to see the clubs latest accounts to see how the ongoing losses are being funded which if by Staprix they will be covered by by the existing charge or whether by unsecured directors (personal) loans from RD. However this would not be a sensible move as he would rank not only behind the former directors and Staprix but behind the preferential creditors in line with all other creditors in the event if a winding up.
    I'm not aware of Staprix having a legal charge, although I'll have a look. The bank debt was associated with one, but I am assuming Staprix loaned the club the money to pay it down. In any event, we'll learn more from the 14/15 accounts in the next two months.
  • Options
    Welcome back Tony(hopefully).
  • Options
    Watt needs a good kick up the kyber. Don't know whether Riga can do that but maybe his teammates could help. Tired of these overpaid prima donnas crying all the way to the bank.
    Hopefully as a professional player he might roll his sleeves up and play his socks off for the cause. The fans and the rest of the team would love it.
  • Options
    Now Matt Tees that is someone who we need. Those were the days when i used to enjoy watching Charlton. Watching the first team is like have root Canal treatment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

TelMc32 said:

Can still be sold in the summer, so that doesn't quite stack up for me. It's unlikely the megalomaniac has a cashflow problem. More likely an excuse to sell Lookman.
    Financial year end is 30 June so that will be the budget cut-off.

Melexis N.V. paid a dividend of £21.3m (€1.30 div x 21,644,399 shares) to their majority shareholder (Xtrion) on October 22nd. I suspect Roland (Xtrion) can struggle through without having to worry too much about a fee for Tony Watt!
    Tel, you are missing my point. It is not about needing the cash - it is about needing to prove he is right. He has set KM a budget target. (Remember she once mentioned having a target budget for player sales?) 30 June is the day of reckoning, after which it all gets totted up and reported. If we don't sell Watt or Lookman till the summer, that leaves a hole in this year's books. To them, it is simply a numbers game.
    Sorry @Weegie Addick I hadn't missed your point, I should have been clearer though. Totally get that he is Belgium football's answer to George Osborne and is determined to stick to plan A, as there isn't a plan B despite there being options that could be considered.

I was just highlighting the loose change which must be weighing him down a little at the moment!! :wink:
  • Options
    He's returning to training tomorrow! Come on Riga sort him out.
  • Options

a - how do you know?
    b - why tomorrow? Why not today?

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Now Matt Tees that is someone who we need. Those were the days when i used to enjoy watching Charlton. Watching the first team is like have root Canal treatment.

Together with Ray Treacy and Paul Went

• Options
    edited January 2016

Bet Murray wishes he'd thought of the "...but every new manager has been the right decision" quote!!!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

a - how do you know?
    b - why tomorrow? Why not today?

Probably got to spend today travelling back and sorting himself back out at his flat. He's probably going to need a good chat with Riga before he even kicks a football at SL tomorrow also.
  • Options

"Jose Riga will play a central role in deciding the future of Tony Watt, News Shopper understands.

The Scottish striker will return to Charlton tomorrow morning following his loan spell at Cardiff."

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14212146.Charlton_Athletic_boss_to_have_big_say_on_Watt___s_future/
  • Options
    Great news - Riga is no fool - even if the owner, Fraeye and our CEO are.