Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Arsene Wenger may have just revealed Arsenal's position: "They have taken this opportunity and taken it very well. Is it fair? I leave you to that statement. Is it fair, is it not fair? It is legal.”
  • I'm not entirely sure that Arsene was considering the niceties of the State Aid regulations at that precise point in time. He's got more pressing things to worry about, such as the weakness of his central defence
  • So.......as usual, I need it breaking down to the simplest version.

"We", ie taxpayers, have had someone actually stand up for us.
    Yep, understand that.

These people (in my opinion) are terrific, they took on a major problem.
    And, they got the result they, and 99.9% of the people I know, wanted.

So, in 5 months or so, do West Ham move into the stadium "we" paid for ?
    Is it possible, crazy, but I have to ask, that West Ham could actually be homeless due to the the Daves and Karren?

Again, apologies,

Just asking.
  • gavros said:

Arsene Wenger may have just revealed Arsenal's position: "They have taken this opportunity and taken it very well. Is it fair? I leave you to that statement. Is it fair, is it not fair? It is legal.”

You sure you weren't listening to an old episode of Allo Allo Gavros?
  • So.......as usual, I need it breaking down to the simplest version.

"We", ie taxpayers, have had someone actually stand up for us.
    Yep, understand that.

These people (in my opinion) are terrific, they took on a major problem.
    And, they got the result they, and 99.9% of the people I know, wanted.

So, in 5 months or so, do West Ham move into the stadium "we" paid for ?
    Is it possible, crazy, but I have to ask, that West Ham could actually be homeless due to the the Daves and Karren?

Again, apologies,

Just asking.

No
  • Wenger is intelligent enough to understand what is going on.
  • Mr magoo? No I don't think so. He has developed cataracts and his surgeon recommended replacement of his corneas with lenses that have Arsene Wenger Arsenal imprinted on them. He sees everything through a different lens now.
  • cabbles said:

Also my understanding of state aid is that if found guilty, the company/entity receiving it must pay it all back straight away??? Is this correct?

Does the clock stop if the guilty party disputes the amount due? Given the endless prevarication evident so far, WHU could face an enormous bill by the time they finally have to cough up, so in the meantime do they have to put up a bond to cover their eventual liabilities? In the event of their default are LLDC (aka The Great British Public) deemed to be their guarantor? WHU have no assets other than players/training ground etc. Also, what if the ponderous EU weighs in and in, say 2025 (!), impose their own accumulated sanctions on top?

It seems to me that WHU/LLDC are playing for penalties. Either the agreed damages are low, in which case the public purse goes short, or they will be so large as to be unaffordable, and the money is lost anyway. What a beautiful scheme ....
    Anyone who thinks WHam only got £20m for the Boleyn Ground has obviously spent too much time in the Queens pub over there. What a load of BS!

Add to that the £100m just for turning up next season, I suspect they'll be fine although Brady throwing away her cheap season tickets might be a one season wonder!

If the club are found guilty of receiving state aid, which includes local authorities, the Member State is required to retrieve the full value of the aid from the recipient as well as compound interest from the date that they received the aid.

I said at the outset of all this that I felt there was state aid here, even if we are only talking about the £45m (initially £40m) from Newham. The Member State (UK) could require Newham to fund some of the retrieval as they have acted of their own volition (not by distributing central Government money).

If the Member State does not retrieve the funds, they can then be fined (minimum €8.992m). Other interested parties, directly affected, can take action against the Government, if they do not comply with the retrieval.
  • gavros said:

He has obviously answered a direct question and given a typical Wenger quote. I reckon he knows as much as you do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably less.
  • gavros said:

Need to get your hearing aid batteries checked, gav.

What he said was " It is LETHAL "

:smile:

• edited April 2016

gavros said:

Need to get your hearing aid batteries checked, gav.

What he said was " It is LETHAL "

:smile:

Well he is a Jedi

• edited April 2016

Maybe, it feels like an episode on here sometimes: "good moaning".

• gavros said:

"Oooooooh René!"

"You stupid woman!"
  • Well on current evidence if anyone can find out the truth about the Candle With The Handle and the Fallen Madonna With the Big Boobies then it's Prague.

• Well done Prague. Only just catching up with all this as I've been staying in err, Prague for a few days.

• If we only had a European lawyer as CEO they would surely take this to the eu, for compensation.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I really understand why a West Ham United fan like gavros is keen on this deal when effectively his club has been granted shedloads of free money which will underpin footballing success.
    I don't get why gavros comes on here when he ought to be glorying in West Hams leg up, when he can spend the time joining in with his West Ham mates jabbing the finger and laughing at the rest of us as moaning mugs.
    The mystery is why the deal is a secret, and why so many East Londoners have chained themselves to the Tories in this, and why long standing West Ham fans have allowed these people to wrench them so easily from their lovely historic and atmospheric Boelyn ground.
    Nothing that West Ham achieve from now on will really be worth much, or worth any respect because effectively they will have bought success. They can say critics are moaners and jealous, and they are right. If every football club were given £200million of taxpayers money free, then the jealousy will go away.
    Yet West Ham fans have been critics of the campaign to know the truth. I would have thought the decent approach is for everything to be out in the open so the West Ham fans can laugh more loudly at their good fortune, and jab the finger at the rest of us with more glee.

You should post that on KUMB.
    Balanced lot on there will appreciate those words.

Chance would be the fine thing. I tried to register there mainly in order to have a private chat with their one reasonable poster, Red Ken's Slave. Probably a mistake to elect my username as OSCoalition and my password as Addick. Three weeks later, an despite sending them a reminder, I still don't have access.

Poor.
  • why dont you just try under an anonymous username and password?

By the way, Red Ken's Slave seems to have disappeared...
  • HAHAHAHA you're a right laugh aint you.
  • Mackle said:

gavros said:

"Oooooooh René!"

"You stupid woman!"
    was that taken by KP on a selfie stick trying to get an up skirt shot of KM?
    It certainly looks like it doesn't it
  • Day of turgid legal waffle apart from @PragueAddick providing all the entertainment. Whole court including the po faced LLDC lawyer collapsed in laughter when Richard explained why Millwall was the only London club not part of the coalition challenging the deal - "they couldn't find anyone who could write".

Nothing to report but clear LLDC will appeal again if they lose.

That's Millwallist and as a Millwall fan and the father of Millwall supporting children I find that highly offensive.

But can you write?