Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• There was some debate among the Coaltion team about whether we should not say something to counter the preposterous media hype around the last game at Upton Park. In the end we thought we would just stand above it. Turned out to be an inspired choice, as the numpties showed their gratitude to the taxpayer in their friendly Cockney way.

• What I thought was very telling was an article by Sullivan in The Standard yesterday - where he apologised for the seats in the new stadium not being as close to the pitch as they would like - sort of saying, we haven't got the sale of the century here when he knows full well they have.
  • There was some debate among the Coaltion team about whether we should not say something to counter the preposterous media hype around the last game at Upton Park. In the end we thought we would just stand above it. Turned out to be an inspired choice, as the numpties showed their gratitude to the taxpayer in their friendly Cockney way.

Probably best for people to avoid Stratford Westfield shopping centre on match days and bars in the area to be closed if last night is an indication of the behaviour of West Ham fans that can be expected from now on. I suppose the taxpayer could always supply a few more policemen...
  • Watching the match and activities at the Boleyn last night, I have to admit i'm a little bit envious. When we were in the Premiership, I didn't think there was too much between us, there's a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon now. They are on the way up, and I cant see a shiny future for us they way things are at the moment.

No matter how they got that stadium, I think we would have done just the same should the chance be available.

I saw a picture of a friends class of 8 years old's (He's a teacher at a School in Falconwood) yesterday doing a football course, not one of the kids had a Charlton shirt, there was plenty of Spurs, West Ham and other London teams.
    It made me realise just how far we've dropped.

• Watching the match and activities at the Boleyn last night, I have to admit i'm a little bit envious. When we were in the Premiership, I didn't think there was too much between us, there's a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon now. They are on the way up, and I cant see a shiny future for us they way things are at the moment.

No matter how they got that stadium, I think we would have done just the same should the chance be available.

I saw a picture of a friends class of 8 years old's (He's a teacher at a School in Falconwood) yesterday doing a football course, not one of the kids had a Charlton shirt, there was plenty of Spurs, West Ham and other London teams.

I thought the atmosphere was fantastic last night and I am green with envy, it reminded me of our last Valley night ... in the Prem v Tottenham, but theirs was a kind of joy, ours a deep sadness and maybe even more tears if we had known what was to come.

The west Ham board maybe cute and nasty, but if ours had an ounce of that we would be well pleased, even if a little embarrassed.
  • I'm still hoping that once they start dismantling Upton Park an injunction gets slapped on them preventing them from using the taxpayers stadium until the conclusion of a 10 year public enquiry...

• Nice article on the BBC website yesterday about the effect on the local community. Some unbelievably smug comments from the cheer-leading Robin Wales, but then he does come from that Hammers' hot-bed Kilmarnock ....

Seems that Newham are investing a further £18m in the UP redevelopment. I guess it's all about the priorities.

There wasn't much between us. Even looking at the history, they haven't won a great deal more (2 more FA cups). Grounds are a pretty similar size. Both flirted around the premier league/championship with a few relegations here and there.

But, they have high profile and wealthy owners and have got very lucky with the olympic stadium and that will set them up forever imo. I can see why Charlton fans would be envious but honestly I wouldn't take the olympic stadium even if it did mean we'd play in the champions league, it would cease being 'my club' if that happened.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2016

Watching the match and activities at the Boleyn last night, I have to admit i'm a little bit envious. When we were in the Premiership, I didn't think there was too much between us, there's a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon now. They are on the way up, and I cant see a shiny future for us they way things are at the moment.

There wasn't much between us. Even looking at the history, they haven't won a great deal more (2 more FA cups). Grounds are a pretty similar size. Both flirted around the premier league/championship with a few relegations here and there.

But, they have high profile and wealthy owners and have got very lucky with the olympic stadium and that will set them up forever imo. I can see why Charlton fans would be envious but honestly I wouldn't take the olympic stadium even if it did mean we'd play in the champions league, it would cease being 'my club' if that happened.
    Problem for me is that Charlton already doesn't seem like "my" club since our present owners took office.

Also, I haven't met any Wet Spam fans who seem particularly bothered about leaving their ground, which I find strange. That's not to say there aren't any - I just haven't met any. I think this is because of the simply unbelievable deal the club has got, even though they don't want to admit to that.
  • Saga Lout said:

Watching the match and activities at the Boleyn last night, I have to admit i'm a little bit envious. When we were in the Premiership, I didn't think there was too much between us, there's a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon now. They are on the way up, and I cant see a shiny future for us they way things are at the moment.

Problem for me is that Charlton already doesn't seem like "my" club since our present owners took office.

Also, I haven't met any Wet Spam fans who seem particularly bothered about leaving their ground, which I find strange. That's not to say there aren't any - I just haven't met any. I think this is because of the simply unbelievable deal the club has got, even though they don't want to admit to that.
    No, but they won't be here forever and once they're gone we'll get it back.

Yeah, I can see why people would love it. The prospect of being guaranteed champions league football is an attractive one. But personally I'd rather not sit in a soulless athletics stadium in order to get there.
  • I get all crap about last night being over hyped but if anyone seriously believes that West Ham are not and havnt always been a bigger club than Charlton then they are seriously deluded.
  • I get all crap about last night being over hyped but if anyone seriously believes that West Ham are not and havnt always been a bigger club than Charlton then they are seriously deluded.

That's a big generalisation, where were they on that scale in 1946 then ?

I agree that they're a bigger club but I don't think the gulf is anywhere near as big as it seems. Well, it wasn't before they got the OS.

• During Charlton's first golden period 1934-1957 WHU were throughout in Div 2 (1932-1958). No East or South London club has ever won the top-tier title - CAFC runners-up, WHU best year 3rd.

Well if you choose to ignore the number of years spent in the top flight compared to Charlton. FA Cup wins, European competition. Stadium, Crowds. Players you might have a point.

• Top-tier relegations - us 4 them 5 (all since 1978). Top attendances - them 44K us 75K+

Well if you choose to ignore the number of years spent in the top flight compared to Charlton. FA Cup wins, European competition. Stadium, Crowds. Players you might have a point.
    Their biggest crowd was 48k, our biggest crowd was 75k and We've had nine times more home grounds than them so far...
  • rikofold said:

Brady was boasting on Talk Sport tonight about how she personally had chosen every single bit of interior design for the hospitality areas.

Hang on. It's not her stadium is it?

What was the line from the Martin Samuels fluff piece when he was given a tour?

"... if you consider the one lonely seat in the room full of government lawyers, you might even conclude your [tax] money is in rather good hands."
  • Sponsored links:

You missed the world cup in 1966
  • Now that, @gavros, is a genuinely useful contribution. But I am up to my eyeballs working through the myriad giveaways of the West Ham contract. If you would like to summarise what you think is really important to note from that document - even from a pro West Ham deal POV - I'd be really interested. Thank you.
  • Pico said:

Any chance after last night's events that they be forced to play the first home game of next season behind closed doors ?

Well. At least get them to pay for a couple of doors... maybe?
  • can't afford doors, too busy trying to work out how the taxpayer will pay for the big to screen wrap round the outside of the stadium and for the ground extension.
  • edited May 2016
    After an initial scanning looks broadly like:

UKA pay a basic £35,000 'Maintenance Fee' to cover cost to E20 LLP of maintaining the pitch and track, which doesn't at first glance appear linked to RPI.

An additional 'Super Profit Payment' which is described as "an amount equal to 15% of the Net Revenue less the Average Net Revenue".

E20 LLP keep all food and drinks sales in non-corporate, and UKA all the (netted out after costs and 10% admin fee) corporate money.

Nothing about UKA getting anything out of the stadium sponsor, though they do have rights over a certain amount of event signage.

UKA keep all ticketing.
  • I want to know how much Gold and Sullivan have donated to the Tory party, and also to Boris Johnston. I think the answer to this question is very important in all this!

If we decided we wanted a paid president of this forum paid for from subscriptions from members, I could slip AFKA a few quid under the table. Then when he announces that the Charlton Life president, whoever he or she is, has to be named after a famous dog, it puts me in a fantastic position to get as favourable deal as possible.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6651542