Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• Well it will be interesting to see how this story develops. It is in fact impossible to fit a second FAPL team into the OS while West Ham are there. We proved it in the Tribunal and our submission was not contested by the LLDC. They key is the contractual allowance of 24 hours either side of the game to set up and take down WHU related "stuff". Such as corner flags. Then note that TV moves the dates of games at short notice. With this in mind we used Spurs as one example of a club with a significant European schedule. We put their schedule as it would have been known in July 2015 into the Event Calendar for the rest of the year. Not only was it necessary to block off 71 days just until 31st Dec, but there were clearly some weeks where if you tried to put a second FAPL club on top of that schedule there were clear clashes. The FAPL and FA will never sanction it because in July you have to be able to assure them that you have aground where you can definitely fulfil all your fixtures, including those that get moved at short notice by Sky.

Watch this one carefully.
  • Interesting @PragueAddick. So on the basis Orient have no danger of any European football for at least the next five years, could it have been more plausible for them to share?
  • Interesting @PragueAddick. So on the basis Orient have no danger of any European football for at least the next five years, could it have been more plausible for them to share?

Yes I think so. Less need to allow for TV shift of games, although potential JPT and Capital One fixtures might still have caused a problem. If it had been planned at an early stage before the contract had been signed, as Hearn wanted, then deffo yes. The current contract is what allows West Ham to deck it out to look like "home". As it stands Chelsea would have to play there with the WHU digital wrap in place,(or pay a lot of money to have it removed and put up again).
  • I wonder how the two Milan clubs manage and how Liverpool and Everton were supposed to manage when it was suggested they would share. I'm not a WHU fan (of course) - I'm just interested in now it works elsewhere.
  • edited May 2016
    Saga Lout said:

I wonder how the two Milan clubs manage and how Liverpool and Everton were supposed to manage when it was suggested they would share. I'm not a WHU fan (of course) - I'm just interested in now it works elsewhere.

It's not so much of a cultural / tribal problem outside of Britain.
  • Saga Lout said:

I wonder how the two Milan clubs manage and how Liverpool and Everton were supposed to manage when it was suggested they would share. I'm not a WHU fan (of course) - I'm just interested in now it works elsewhere.

I don't think that's the reason. Prague talks above about things like 24 hour set-up time and problems with SKY - I can't believe those problems are not present elsewhere.
  • Seriously though, when Gold and Sullivan sell, they are going to get stupid money - it isn't just about West Ham, it is about them!
  • Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

I don't think that's the reason. Prague talks above about things like 24 hour set-up time and problems with SKY - I can't believe those problems are not present elsewhere.
    Th difference between this and the other cases is that in the other cases the stadium starts off looking neutral (in LLDC parlance "clean stadium"). The OS is not the case. West Ham is an anchor tenant, and has been allowed all kinds of privileges to make it look as though the OS is their home.

I went to the Allianz Stadium 2 years ago this month for a TSV game. There was not a visible hint that this was the home of Bayern. But it was designed and built with that kind of dual occupancy in mind. (Bayern now own it because TSV went bust, so that may have changed a bit, but you get my point, I hope).

• Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Th difference between this and the other cases is that in the other cases the stadium starts off looking neutral (in LLDC parlance "clean stadium"). The OS is not the case. West Ham is an anchor tenant, and has been allowed all kinds of privileges to make it look as though the OS is their home.

I went to the Allianz Stadium 2 years ago this month for a TSV game. There was not a visible hint that this was the home of Bayern. But it was designed and built with that kind of dual occupancy in mind. (Bayern now own it because TSV went bust, so that may have changed a bit, but you get my point, I hope).

As will West Ham own the Olympic Stadium when E20 goes bust
  • Doubts over Thames garden bridge as Sadiq Khan probes £175m project

http://gu.com/p/4j8xh?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's back..!!

Again
  • gavros said:
    Fancy putting in an FOI request @gavros? @PragueAddick may be able to give you some pointers.
  • cafc999 said:

He's back..!!

Again

To gloat.
  • Just as an aside I am very pleased to inform you that as a result of my efforts on the Olympic Stadium I appear to have built up a decent ongoing dialogue with the club owner. We seem to be getting on well....

There's only one thing....

I am referring to the owner of Crystal Palace.

The real problem is that he actually seems like a decent bloke
  • Just as an aside I am very pleased to inform you that as a result of my efforts on the Olympic Stadium I appear to have built up a decent ongoing dialogue with the club owner. We seem to be getting on well....

He's been an annoyingly good owner for them. Just tell him to keep his wife away from Pardew.
  • stonemuse said:

Just as an aside I am very pleased to inform you that as a result of my efforts on the Olympic Stadium I appear to have built up a decent ongoing dialogue with the club owner. We seem to be getting on well....

He even went to the last game by steam train...surely he bought the wrong club!!!! :wink:
  • TelMc32 said:

stonemuse said:

Just as an aside I am very pleased to inform you that as a result of my efforts on the Olympic Stadium I appear to have built up a decent ongoing dialogue with the club owner. We seem to be getting on well....

He even went to the last game by steam train...surely he bought the wrong club!!!! :wink:
    @PragueAddick have a word, get him to move over to us :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• rikofold said:

Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

As will West Ham own the Olympic Stadium when E20 goes bust
    Had a quick compare of the termination terms of the agreements for WHU and UKA.

Under UKA agreement if it is terminated for whatever reason, by either party, then UKA has to take all its stuff out and hand back the keys.

Under the WH agreement, if WH default they have to hand back the keys, same as for UKA.

BUT, if the stadium operators default e.g go bust, no requirement for the keys to be handed over,, it just says the terms of the agreement stop applying.

Clever old Karen, got herself a stadium, keys safely in her handbag and the landlord disappeared with no one entitled to charge any rent because the agreement has lapsed.
  • edited May 2016
    I see West Ham put bids in for two Bournemouth players prior to what was a £2m game for them last night. They really are the lowest of the low aren't they.
  • I see West Ham put bids in for two Bournemouth players prior to what was a £2m game for them last night. They really are the lowest of the low aren't they.

Yeah, I saw that. Thought it was a pretty skeezy move. But that is West Ham all over these days. I used to have a soft spot for the Hammers but the West Ham I liked will finally be dead next season.

• If Taxpayers Park awards naming rights to its chief benefactor WHU will be playing at the HM Treasury Stadium. Why would West Ham - Hon. President (ex officio) Mr G Osborne - want E20 to go broke ? They've already got the place for virtually nish - if it becomes all theirs they will have all the running and (eventual) refurbishment costs to bear themselves. Better for them, surely, to try and keep the patient on life-support as long as possible.

This whole affair will smoulder on for years, a barristers' paradise. There must be no end of smart lawyers out there already sharpening their pencils ....
  • Well maybe that is/was Boris's plan - E20 goes bust in 18 months time; West Ham "given" the stadium; and then the Govt/LLDC/E20/Newham Council don't have to pay for any refurbishment, new goal-posts, corner flags, ticketing, etc.... All of a sudden, Wet Spam have massive overheads, or have to find a new ground?
  • That's would be a crazy plan, they could have just had it for athletics for 20-25 for far less than the 250million spent converting it, and then stated refurbishment in 2040 was too expensive and sold the land off for development, making back more than than the 25 years running costs in the process.
  • Blimey, tin hat territory already.....yeah spend £272 million to get West Ham into a stadium so that you then dont have to spend money on corner flags when you engineer a bankruptcy in your own SPV.....

• I shouldn't think West Ham ever want these days to end, the golden era of a unique marketing strategy "Sell one, get one free !!"