Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• edited December 2017
    gavros said:

Well, you can imagine that "ripping up" a deal signed by Baronness Brady is not for the faint-hearted. However we do have a "workaround", which we will be presenting at City Hall next week...

Instead of offering a workaround, surely you mean asking West ham to offer a reacharound?

And State Aid....really? how many times is that one going to tried?
    I should think with state aid, you'll be playing champions league next season and not championship. LOL
  • Well quite.
  • Hows that stadium naming rights deal coming along @gavros ?
  • Ask the LLDC? Apparently it's a shoo-in.
  • West Ham have apparently said that a deal is a deal and that no renegotiations will take place
  • Oh Gavros is back. Idiot.
  • Sponsored links:

• gavros said:

They nearly signed sponsorship deals twice...once with Mahindra, once with Vodaphone, as is pointed out in today's report. But then both seemed to get cold feet about it. Maybe because of the negative news campaign about the stadium being brought about by a certain fans group oddly aligned with a certain group of laywers who do a lot of work for Spurs?

I don’t think there is any need for conspiracy theories.
  • I wish we could, I must be frank. The whole edifice of the game had turned so toxic.
  • gavros said:

They nearly signed sponsorship deals twice...once with Mahindra, once with Vodaphone, as is pointed out in today's report. But then both seemed to get cold feet about it. Maybe because of the negative news campaign about the stadium being brought about by a certain fans group oddly aligned with a certain group of laywers who do a lot of work for Spurs?

Fairly sure @PragueAddick isn't Jewish.

But then that is only the excuse @gavros that concerns you really.
  • edited December 2017
    Ok yeah I'm now spouting Jewish conspiracy theories am I?

Have some self respect.
  • gavros said:

Ok yeah I'm now spouting Jewish conspiracy theories am I?

Have some self respect.

Apologies.

Can you clarify your reference to Slaughter & May then?

• Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

West Ham say that the original contract is water tight. This will drag on through the courts for years.

I'm sure the 1977 Unfair Contract Terms Act would beg to differ.

I have my doubts, unfortunately. As ever with Acts of Parliament the preamble is your friend. The one for this Act says:

An Act to impose further limits on the extent to which under the law of England and Wales and Northern Ireland civil liability for breach of contract, of for negligence or other breach of duty, can be avoided by means of ......contract terms.

It seems very unlikely to me that West Ham's lawyers would have missed a trick on contract law. What breach of contract, negligence or breach of duty could West Ham be found to have avoided through use of the contract?
  • "...Sources close to Mr Johnson, now Foreign Secretary, said that blame should be directed at the original planning for the 2012 Games by previous Mayor Ken Livingstone and former Prime Minister Tony Blair.

“No other city has an Olympic legacy like London’s – all seven venues on the park are in private hands, with millions of visitors a year, and a positive economic legacy for east London,” said the former Mayor’s ally. “The stadium has a secure future with athletics and football.

“The mistakes belonged to Khan’s Labour predecessor Ken Livingstone and the Blair government. Signing off on a stadium fit only for athletics was a massive error. The only option for Boris was conversion to a multi-use venue.

“If Sadiq Khan wants to try and blame someone he should blame his New Labour pals and the old Labour Mayor for their catastrophic planning failures.”

independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-olympic-stadium-sadiq-khan-west-ham-united-a8087441.html

Both Boris and his unamed "former ally" need to start explaining themselves not shifting the blame for decisions taken on their watch.

I listened to that last night, Boris has some old neck on him giving that statement.
    Surly as a well informed and educated man he can see it would have been cheaper in the long run to knock down the stadium, build a new one and gift that one to a Premier cash rich football club.
  • Not a lawyer, but I would have thought that you could start with Part 1 Section 11.

...shall have been a fair and reasonable one to be included having regard to the circumstances which were, or ought reasonably to have been, known to or in the contemplation of the parties when the contract was made.
  • gavros said:

Two years later and he still can't spell.
  • cafcfan said:

Addickted said:

West Ham say that the original contract is water tight. This will drag on through the courts for years.

I'm sure the 1977 Unfair Contract Terms Act would beg to differ.

I have my doubts, unfortunately. As ever with Acts of Parliament the preamble is your friend. The one for this Act says:

An Act to impose further limits on the extent to which under the law of England and Wales and Northern Ireland civil liability for breach of contract, of for negligence or other breach of duty, can be avoided by means of ......contract terms.

It seems very unlikely to me that West Ham's lawyers would have missed a trick on contract law. What breach of contract, negligence or breach of duty could West Ham be found to have avoided through use of the contract?
    Sadly, this.

The laws around contract fairness are aimed at providing a balance in the contract and to stop one party relying on terms that unfairly restrict the others right to legitimate redress. They are also usually aimed at providing a level of protection to consumers entering into contracts with businesses. Business to business transactions are generally exempted because both parties are held to be big and ugly enough to look after themselves and have access to legal advice.

Obviously in this case the law doesn't take account of the fact our half of the deal was being negotiated by a bunch of f##knuggets...