Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Murder of Alexander Litvinenko

Comments

• Options

Haven't read back through the thread, but definitely recommend the book

Mafia State: How One Reporter Became an Enemy of the Brutal New Russia

It's about the experiences of a Guardian correspondent stationed in Russia, the information he uncovers and his brushes with the FSB - pretty frightening.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mafia-State-Reporter-Became-Brutal/dp/0852652496

I'll have to give that one a go next, it's the same author who wrote A Very Expensive Poison. He seems to be a quality author, with quite a gift for conveying things.
  • Options
    I definitely must get The New Tsar, it has already been translated in to Czech and advertised on the metro. Mind you so is a book by Boris Johnson. I keep thinking about a bit of graffiti on it.

I think Luke Harding goes over the top sometimes, but then he might have good personal reasons to do so.

• Options
    Oh, it's all fine - Donald says it's fake news. That's alright then.

No denial of staying in the Presidential Suite though. Michael Cohen, Trump's lawyer, was also implicated via allegations of meetings with Kremlin officials in Prague. He's denied this and peculiarly posted a photo of his passport; presumably it doesn't contain valid exit/entry stamps and that's what he's actually trying to get across.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    wouldnt it be fun if Donald had to step down!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @LuckyReds , I just made a separate thread for this probably as you were posting things. Would you mind putting your post over there because you bring up some excellent points and insight. Also, if you haven't already I highly recommend reading the CNN article that started this all:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

@LuckyReds , I just made a separate thread for this probably as you were posting things. Would you mind putting your post over there because you bring up some excellent points and insight. Also, if you haven't already I highly recommend reading the CNN article that started this all:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html

Cracking!

Great minds think alike though, I was pretty torn about if/where to post it myself - and happened to remember we had a Litvinenko thread which was vaguely related.

I'll move my posts across.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Talking of conspiracy theories... Has anyone ever seen SDAddick and LuckyReds in the same room together?

• Options
    The Donald Done It
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If it can happen to Big Sam.......
  • Options
    purdis said:

If it can happen to Big Sam.......
    Can you imagine them two in a room/hotel bar (Trump doesn't drink but he doesn't need to)? I bet they'd get on famously.
  • Options
    Bumped in anticipation that the news from Salisbury is somewhat more complex than a gambling debt being settled or a dodgy pizza consumed.
  • Options
    Buzzfeed News work, published last summer, on the 14 other suspicious cases. Heidi Blake was on the Today programme on R4 discussing this, together with a Russian apologist speaking from Moscow. He made the Freudian slip of referring to Skripal as having been "killed" which caused the R4 anchor to icily interject with the words "He's not dead".
  • Options

I posted this on the Russians at it again thread but better off here.

Not thuggish football violence this time but a what would seem to be a clear assassination of a former spy and his daughter in that espionage hotbed of Salisbury of all places.

Are the Russian secret services so thick as to think that the Brits won’t know exactly its their handiwork or are they now so arrogant in their foreign policy as not to give a stuff.

How anyone doesn’t think that Putin is not a serious threat to European stability going forward is beyond me. He does of course have to win his election first of course (insert your own joke here)

I just think they don't give a shit as they know there's nothing anyone can do to them, much like the American election.
    They certainly like to give that impression. But people I know with long experience of Russia say that you have to stand up to them, and then they often back down, quickly. For Russians, respect is everything.

• Options

Not thuggish football violence this time but a what would seem to be a clear assassination of a former spy and his daughter in that espionage hotbed of Salisbury of all places.

Are the Russian secret services so thick as to think that the Brits won’t know exactly its their handiwork or are they now so arrogant in their foreign policy as not to give a stuff.

How anyone doesn’t think that Putin is not a serious threat to European stability going forward is beyond me. He does of course have to win his election first of course (insert your own joke here)

I just think they don't give a shit as they know there's nothing anyone can do to them, much like the American election.
    They certainly like to give that impression. But people I know with long experience of Russia say that you have to stand up to them, and then they often back down, quickly. For Russians, respect is everything.

That might work with individuals, I imagine the state is quite different.

• Options

It might seem daunting, but I have heard many experienced international journalists say that respect for their Great Power status, but then a strong resolute response, is what works. Putin showing off new toys last week to accompanying willy-waving seemed like a typical cry for respect. Of course it's not easy to say exactly what policies might be indicated, but it seems generally to be about drawing lines in the sand and then making sure you hold those lines. In the other thread, I wrote this as an example:

There are thousands of very rich Russians either living in the UK or using London for "byznys" purposes. These are the people that can and should be targetted via HMRC, Customs and Border Police, as well as the UK finance houses and estate agents that may not be sufficiently complying with 'know your customer' regulations. That's what hurts them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Of course they don’t give a shit. They marched into the Crimea and did what they liked in Syria while Europe and Obama sat back and watched, so I doubt they’re that bothered about Salisbury plod on their tails.

This with bells on.
  • Options

Arrogant. What are we going to do about it.
  • Options

Of course they don’t give a shit. They marched into the Crimea and did what they liked in Syria while Europe and Obama sat back and watched, so I doubt they’re that bothered about Salisbury plod on their tails.

This with bells on.
    Yeah but I’m looking forward to Donald sorting it all out.......
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

This with bells on.
    If Donald had been the White House incumbent when the 2 examples I have had happened, this forum would have gone berserk. As it was Messiah Barack, nothing was mentioned.
  • Options

It might seem daunting, but I have heard many experienced international journalists say that respect for their Great Power status, but then a strong resolute response, is what works. Putin showing off new toys last week to accompanying willy-waving seemed like a typical cry for respect. Of course it's not easy to say exactly what policies might be indicated, but it seems generally to be about drawing lines in the sand and then making sure you hold those lines. In the other thread, I wrote this as an example:

There are thousands of very rich Russians either living in the UK or using London for "byznys" purposes. These are the people that can and should be targetted via HMRC, Customs and Border Police, as well as the UK finance houses and estate agents that may not be sufficiently complying with 'know your customer' regulations. That's what hurts them.
    Too many fingers in the pie. Think of the effect this would have on luxury property prices and erm the city. No interest in rocking the boat, I’m afraid.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

Too many fingers in the pie. Think of the effect this would have on luxury property prices and erm the city. No interest in rocking the boat, I’m afraid.
    Sadly this.

• Options
    edited March 2018

Chaz Hill said:

This with bells on.
    If Donald had been the White House incumbent when the 2 examples I have had happened, this forum would have gone berserk. As it was Messiah Barack, nothing was mentioned.
    What would you have proposed he do?

Keep in mind there is no appetite in this country for a proxy war with Russia over the sovereignty of a part of the Ukraine.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

Yeah. This is the nicest way of saying "they're pumping too much money into our economy for us to do anything." But it's true.

Sorry and let me add it's the same with the US when it comes to China. It's not like we're saints. Economic punishments, and tariffs, are hard because of the interconnectivity globalization has brought.