Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Murder of Alexander Litvinenko

Comments

• Options
    @hoof_it_up_to_benty has opened a separate thread on the BBC 2 prog on Putin last night. A must watch programme for all, I would say. Mostly known stuff but pulled together to emphasise just what the world is dealing with.
  • Options

Would the Russians have the balls to do this to the Israelis? Perhaps we should ponder why the Russians believe they can act with impunity in our country but would think twice with another relatively small nuclear power. We need to question whether the liberalism we espouse has made us seem weak to our enemies and has unwisely tied our hands when it comes to deterring future attacks.

There is absolutely no automatic connection between having a liberal society and a weak rule of law and defence. The Swedes make a decent job of it and they feel under more physical threat from Russian than others for obvious geographical reasons. And they are not in NATO, although it is discussed more and more.

It;s funny you should make the point now, as I have just been reading that the Lib Dem conference is this weekend. Who knew? Farage is everywhere, yet the Lib Dems with elected MPs get no coverage. Well Ed Davey, now home affairs minister and previously my MP, has absolutely nailed it, IMO.

“I’m extraordinarily worried about what’s happening to our police, both in my constituency and elsewhere. And I’ve long felt that Lib Dem values are more in tune with the police than many people think,” he said. “You have no civil liberties, or they are likely to be significantly reduced, if you don’t have good law and order."

Last year I had the chance to discuss this with the policeman who did an excellent job in following up clear cases of online threats and intimidation of a group of six Charlton fans, seen as CARD activists. It was shocking to hear of the antiquated nature of the police IT system, and the ridiculous complications he faced just due to the fact that suspect lived outside the Met area. I don't know a single 'liberal' who doesn't agree that a strong, well resourced police force and security service is absolutely essential to ensure the security and well being of citizens.

• Options
    Leuth said:

Would the Russians have the balls to do this to the Israelis? Perhaps we should ponder why the Russians believe they can act with impunity in our country but would think twice with another relatively small nuclear power. We need to question whether the liberalism we espouse has made us seem weak to our enemies and has unwisely tied our hands when it comes to deterring future attacks.

What....exactly...are you proposing?
    we shall fight on the beaches,
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;
    we shall never surrender,
  • Options
    Think Theresa May's statement just now was carefully calibrated and correct.

But she needs to back it up with action as appropriate.
  • Options
    Corbyn’s performance was back to being embarrassing in the commons today. Whatever way he’s justifiably got himself back up in the polls, he’ll always be incredibly weak on foreign policy, a shame really.

Theresa may’s statement was well measured, firm but you feel she’s also left just a crack open for Putin to weasel his way out and de-escalate things without making himself look like a tit.
  • Options
    That was a ballsy statement by Theresa May and if they think that then they need to work out what the course of action will be as it’s a bold call
  • Options
    edited March 2018

That was a ballsy statement by Theresa May and if they think that then they need to work out what the course of action will be as it’s a bold call

Make a bold statement and then fail to back it up makes you look even more ridiculous than saying nothing. Moscow will flatly deny any involvement as usual so what are we going to do ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Corbyn’s performance was back to being embarrassing in the commons today. Whatever way he’s justifiably got himself back up in the polls, he’ll always be incredibly weak on foreign policy, a shame really.

Theresa may’s statement was well measured, firm but you feel she’s also left just a crack open for Putin to weasel his way out and de-escalate things without making himself look like a tit.

Corbyn rightly took a kicking for it, not least of all from MPs in his own party!

• Options
    If Putin doesn't at least show some interest in helping us identify and catch the culprits, I may have to show my displeasure by changing my avatar.

That'll show them
  • Options
    Addickted said:

If Putin doesn't at least show some interest in helping us identify and catch the culprits, I may have to show my displeasure by changing my avatar.

That'll show them

I’m sure it will be more than the British government do.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I disagree now that she has said that and once the official report is is out she will have to go to NATO and get resolution from them,

Theres nothing the UK have to do other than prove it ,if we can and i dont doubt that then for any state government to do whats been done it will need to resolution from more than just us

Gas may well be cheaper and maybe a more streamlined trade deal with Russia be utilsed, worth a few poisoned double agents imo
  • Options
    The scary thing is Russia used a nerve gas that could only be traced back to them. They see Britain as a busted flush with no clout on the international stage. Prime minister May did a good speech but how can we back up the words. Sending diplomats home won't make any difference. Putin hated our stance on the doping issue that why Russia were behind the hacking of top British athletes and the fact they all seemed to have asthma. Vladimir Putin wants us to pull out of the World cup. He plays on weaknesses of countries and individuals. The big black dog showing up when Angela Merkel was visiting when he knew her fears sums up this modern day tyrant.
  • Options

I disagree now that she has said that and once the official report is is out she will have to go to NATO and get resolution from them,

Theres nothing the UK have to do other than prove it ,if we can and i dont doubt that then for any state government to do whats been done it will need to resolution from more than just us

Gas may well be cheaper and maybe a more streamlined trade deal with Russia be utilsed, worth a few poisoned double agents imo

I get what you are saying, but can't really allow them to go around killing people in our yard (though I'm sure we do the same) as you say, see what NATO do... It's what it's supposed to be there for
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I get what you are saying, but can't really allow them to go around killing people in our yard (though I'm sure we do the same) as you say, see what NATO do... It's what it's supposed to be there for

I am not sure quite what anyone expects NATO to do. Either way, here is the problem: The USA is a key member. Does anyone have to hand POTUS tweets supporting May's speech? Condemning the attack? Anybody seen them? I mean he was trolling the London Mayor within 30 minutes of the last terrorist attack.

Here is a coherent view of the various options.

I have to say that I would still want a bit more detail in order to be sure that this is actually Putin-run, having heard more about this Noricok agent. It is apparently quite old, and never been used before. So why exactly would he wheel this out now, to bump off somebody whom he already had in jail for several years? And I say this as somebody who would be happy to be designated the most anti-Putin Lifer.
  • Options
    Watching Putin on the news last night it looks as though he's been injecting his cheeks and lips with Novichok.

Easy on the surgery fella!
  • Options
    What do people think about boycotting the World Cup?

I'd be for it as part of a series of measures, sends a message to Putin. Wouldn't be popular with footie fans but some things are more important than sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So many Russian trolls on twitter and reddit today. Some one would think they’re a bit worried about losing control of the narrative..
  • Options

I'd be for it as part of a series of measures, sends a message to Putin. Wouldn't be popular with footie fans but some things are more important than sport.

I think we should compromise.

We should turn up, play badly and not go through to the later stages. Like we always do.
  • Options

Totally against a pointless boycott of the finals.
  • Options
    what Putin is doing is pushing for weakness -----probably has feck all to do with the UK in his big picture ,more to do with reaction or lack of. If there is no collective action he can crack on foing what he wants----some sort of reaction will at least make him re think. Dosnt really have to be that big a reaction just a inited one.
  • Options

what Putin is doing is pushing for weakness -----probably has feck all to do with the UK in his big picture ,more to do with reaction or lack of. If there is no collective action he can crack on foing what he wants----some sort of reaction will at least make him re think. Dosnt really have to be that big a reaction just a inited one.

It’s about testing nato.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Nothing from Big D himself though. Frightened that video might find it’s way on line.

• Options
    And no reference to Russia by Huckabee-Sanders
  • Options
    Jints said:

And no reference to Russia by Huckabee-Sanders

Contrast him branding the Champs-Elysee attacker a Muslim terrorist on Twitter within 30 minutes, only for the world to learn that the guy was a career criminal, and had been guilty of violent attacks on police 20 years earlier.

• Options
    Chaz Hill said:

Chizz said:
    Nothing from Big D himself though. Frightened that video might find it’s way on line.

Comrade Trump can't bite the hand that feeds his ego.