Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Divisive players

For some players who have turned out for this fine club over the years it has been obvious to all that they were brilliant whilst others have attracted the collective agreement that they were thieving a living as a professional footballer. What about the ones in between, the ones who divided opinion down the middle causing levels of disagreement usually reserved for Question Time.

To name a few of relatively recent times... Holland, Lloyd Sam and Kishishev. For me all in the good players camp but I had many mates who vehemently argued they were shite.

Any more?

Comments

• Options
    Andy Hughes. I thought he was a brilliant player, some mates agreed, others thought he was crap.
  • Options
    All good players those.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Pringle.
  • Options
    Makienok
  • Options
    Leaburn the epitome (I loved him) .

Suspect Mak is the current day Leaburn?
  • Options
    Mark Stuart
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sideways Semedo
  • Options
    Dennis
  • Options
    Kish
    Reza
  • Options

Mark Stuart

He had a lot of skill but was so lightweight. Legendary winner at Old Trafford though, so deserves to be remembered well.
  • Options
    Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl
  • Options
    Diawara
    Mooney
  • Options
    Halix said:

Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl

That's a great list
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016

boggzy said:

Dennis

Such a disappointment he was for not living up to the player he could have been. He was a marquee signing when he rocked up and thought he was gonna tear the league apart. Will always be a hero for palace in the last minute though.... never get sick of watching this and was a great atmosphere being there.. (the moneyshot starts at 5.30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6tjHpqOJk
    God thats made me depressed! When was the last time we looked committed, passed at pace to our own players, attacked the opposition box as a team whilst moving the ball forward at pace, running into spaces, and then shoot! At the moment I would even welcome a Kishichev shot.
  • Options
    Bailey is a big one for this.
  • Options
    Carlo is the epitome of this subject and thank gawd twitter and whatnot weren't around when he broke into the team. Bloke had to put up with half the crowd cheering his name, half groaning when he was in effect just a kid himself.

Never hid, never shirk a shift, got bashed up for the cause most weeks and IMO was a far better player than he got credit for. He had a long career in the top two divisions and other players loved playing alongside him. You don't get that recognition without reason.

I think the sort of players you're talking about are often overlooked by many customers because they are performing a role for the team rather than being a flair player going out and expressing themselves...see Keith Jones for example.
  • Options

boggzy said:

Dennis

Tbh had more to do with curbs telling him to "be defensive" constantly when his big strength was his pace going forward. It just completely blunted him. I can't help but think that was a big management blunder from curbs. There were times, specifically when he first joined when he'd come off the bench or play just off Jason euell and would look absolutely red hot and terrify defenders on the break.
    Remember him tearing the Villa defence apart with his pace and getting Gareth Barry sent off when he brought him down trying to catch up.

Sadly all too rare though, 9 times out of 10 it was run, stop, turn back and pass inside - was a waste.
  • Options
    Nicky Weaver.
  • Options
    Charlie Wright
    Emmanuel Frimpong
    Jimmy Giles
    Dale Steohens
    Danny Hollands
    Danny Green
    Paul Konchesky
    Kyel Reid
  • Options

Bryan Hughes. People seemed to dislike him because he wasn't particularly brilliant at anything but he was the ultimate Curbs player. Need a goal? Bryan can get one. Need to shut a game down? Bryan will put in the running. Need to start pressing forward? Bryan will join the attack. I really appreciated him as a squad member.

And I won't hear a word against Matt Holland. Whenever anyone says 'Captain Cleanshorts' I know I'm never speaking to them about football again.

Cant disagree with any of that, I even nearly had a bang up with our own fans over matty away in Ipswich on an official clit away day
  • Options
    The top three are Big Carl Steve Mackenzie and Keith Jones. Both real love em or hate em type players. They are are all in my top ften players ever to play for us.