Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Divisive players

Comments

• Options
    rikofold said:

Leaburn the epitome (I loved him) .

Suspect Mak is the current day Leaburn?

Your having a laugh comparing the two

Firmly in the Leaburn Camp and the plain fact he did it at a higher level

Ask the pro's who played with Carl and they will tell you how good he was

Ironic that we would like a striker now who hit the back of the net as often as Carl let alone a Killer/Hunt/Whyte/Mendonca.
  • Options
    I don't remember it being that good a game.
  • Options
    Sarr will be the one from the current crop
  • Options

Nothing will top Leaburn

Well, he was tall.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    jay bothroyd and Chris Iwelumo for me
  • Options
    Lloyd Doyley. I've seen fights start.
  • Options
    The first one of those that I remember was Billy Keirnan.
  • Options
    Loved Carl , although he did occasionally look like Bambi on ice, a club legend. For me It has to be super Kevin Lisbie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Halix said:

Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl

Good list, but anyone who thinks Keith Jones was poor knows fuck all about football.

Might I suggest John Bumstead and Alan Pardew (as a player) ?
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I think the sort of players you're talking about are often overlooked by many customers because they are performing a role for the team rather than being a flair player going out and expressing themselves...see Keith Jones for example.

Nail on head.

Whilst many fans are following the ball and looking out for the flair players, they're rarely going to appreciate those players that hold a team together - and indeed provide the platform that allows those flair players to do their stuff.

The Kishishevs, Keith Jones and Matty Hollands did the dropping back, keeping the team shape, covering and tracking which allowed those more talented to get forward.

Years ago, after underdog Southampton had finished 2nd in the top division, their manager Lawrie McMenemy was asked the secret of his success:

"In every successful team you need 9 virtuoso players", he said, "and 2 roadsweepers".

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I think the sort of players you're talking about are often overlooked by many customers because they are performing a role for the team rather than being a flair player going out and expressing themselves...see Keith Jones for example.

Nail on head.

Whilst many fans are following the ball and looking out for the flair players, they're rarely going to appreciate those players that hold a team together - and indeed provide the platform that allows those flair players to do their stuff.

The Kishishevs, Keith Jones and Matty Hollands did the dropping back, keeping the team shape, covering and tracking which allowed those more talented to get forward.

Years ago, after underdog Southampton had finished 2nd in the top division, their manager Lawrie McMenemy was asked the secret of his success:

"In every successful team you need 9 virtuoso players", he said, "and 2 roadsweepers".

Our last three managers got that the wrong way around...
  • Options

Halix said:

Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl

Good list, but anyone who thinks Keith Jones was poor knows fuck all about football.

Might I suggest John Bumstead and Alan Pardew (as a player) ?
    First saw Keith Jones at an away game at Oldham, was always amazed he got so much stick.

Then again, I always rated Leaburn, Kish, Semedo, Lisbie and co. They may not have been Maradona but they were effective and put in a shift.
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose.

Seem to remember Morts had his detractors back in the day too, especially as a younger player in his first stint.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Leaburn the epitome (I loved him) .

Suspect Mak is the current day Leaburn?

Not fit to tie Carl's boots.

• Options

Halix said:

Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl

That's a great list
    Did anyone rate Jamie Stuart?
  • Options
    Holland was an interesting one. I think being a great guy helped his profile as a player. Bar the year when he played a lot on the right when we still had Parker and Jensen , I thought he was exceedingly average . As I say, great guy though .

I'll add Jason Euell into this; I couldn't look past his poor ball control but many liked him and in fairness he did score a lot of goals
  • Options
    Matty Holland was great at clapping.

Dennis was simply used in the wrong way - Curbs did not play attacking teams by this stage. (Bar the first few games of whatever season it was where him, Bent, Murphy and Smertin were unplayable they were so good)
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Matty Holland was great at clapping.

Dennis was simply used in the wrong way - Curbs did not play attacking teams by this stage. (Bar the first few games of whatever season it was where him, Bent, Murphy and Smertin were unplayable they were so good)

Jerome Thomas too, that year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Racon, for me a waste of space, for others a misunderstood virtuoso.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Halix said:

Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl

That's a great list
    Did anyone rate Jamie Stuart?
    His dealer

• Options
    I always thought Lee Cook had a sweet left foot.
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer - Great player but not in everyone's eyes.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Halix said:

Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl

I always felt that he did a job, but I always seemed to be surrounded by people saying he only passed sideways.

Oh and can I add Alan Curbishley (as a player) he always seemed to divide opinion.
  • Options
    Dale Stephens
  • Options
    Halix said:

Halix said:

Kevin Lisbie
    Andy Jones
    Keith Jones
    Jamie Stuart
    Phil Chapple
    Denis Romedahl

I always felt that he did a job, but I always seemed to be surrounded by people saying he only passed sideways.

Oh and can I add Alan Curbishley (as a player) he always seemed to divide opinion.
    Mind you, a midfielder passing sideways surely unleashes wingers in an effort to bypass the opposing team's defences...

I'm sure some of us have been complaining about a lack of decent attacking play this season. A Keith Jones Mk II might be just what we need. Can anyone think of a half-decent Chelsea midfielder being underused at the mo?

Can I add, after his wise words last night, Chris Iwelumo (I always thought he was good but there were some vocally against)?
  • Options
    Steve White.He could be absolute tosh one week and smack in a couple of goals the next.
  • Options
    I seem to remember a lot of people moaning about Andy Hunt, bizarrely.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I seem to remember a lot of people moaning about Andy Hunt, bizarrely.

to be fair i didn't think much of him in his first season with us. Then again i was about 8 years old and thought "strikers were there to score goals".