Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Divisive players

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

I seem to remember a lot of people moaning about Andy Hunt, bizarrely.

Andy Hunt was one of those players that didnt make a great initial impression before becoming a favorite, I would add Stuart Balmer and Mark Aizlewood to that list.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Halix said:

WSS said:

I seem to remember a lot of people moaning about Andy Hunt, bizarrely.

Andy Hunt was one of those players that didnt make a great initial impression before becoming a favorite, I would add Stuart Balmer and Mark Aizlewood to that list.
    Hunt played well in the first season but didn't score many
  • Options
    Jordan Cousins maybe?
  • Options
    Mathias Svennson
    Linvoy Minus
    Lee "ten to the" Power
  • Options
    Always remember liking Steve Jones and Martin Pringle to the bafflement of friends and family...
  • Options

Mathias Svennson
    Linvoy Minus
    Lee "ten to the" Power

Mathias Svennson? He was a terrible signing who everyone was glad to see the back of. If you want to pick a genuinely divisive Swedish striker from that period then it has to be Martin Pringle.
  • Options
    Cally Messi....mates think he's superb.

me, well....
  • Options

Mathias Svennson
    Linvoy Minus
    Lee "ten to the" Power

Mathias Svennson? He was a terrible signing who everyone was glad to see the back of. If you want to pick a genuinely divisive Swedish striker from that period then it has to be Martin Pringle.
    Never done this before but

WHOOSH
  • Options
    No one has mentioned any keepers yet. I give you Andy Pettersen and Nicky Weaver.
  • Options
    Paul Gorman. The fans wanted him in because he scored goals but the Management didn't rate him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

boggzy said:

Dennis

Such a disappointment he was for not living up to the player he could have been. He was a marquee signing when he rocked up and thought he was gonna tear the league apart. Will always be a hero for palace in the last minute though.... never get sick of watching this and was a great atmosphere being there.. (the moneyshot starts at 5.30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6tjHpqOJk
    That early crunching tackle Jon Fortune does on Andy Johnson is delightful, couldn't stand Johnson and always thought he was cack!
  • Options
    Yoni Buyens

Would have him back in an instant. A very good footballer and always kept play ticking over, accurate passer of the ball.

Divise not just for his style of play but also had the Belgium and network stigmas going against him
  • Options

rikofold said:

Leaburn the epitome (I loved him) .

Suspect Mak is the current day Leaburn?

Not fit to tie Carl's boots.

To be fair, most 6ft 7in people have trouble tying their laces up.
    That's why, when not on the football field they wear slip ons.
    Big Mak wears flip flops at home, which is ironic when you see his
    Performances go from the Sublime:
    Hull and Sheff Wednesday at home.
    Hull second half was as good as it gets for a target man.

To the ridiculous: Ipswich at home was the worse performance i have seen from a target man and it was on TV.

• Options
    Luke Young used to divide opinion. Eh @Stone
  • Options

Mathias Svennson
    Linvoy Minus
    Lee "ten to the" Power

I liked Mat Svensson
  • Options

Mathias Svennson
    Linvoy Minus
    Lee "ten to the" Power

I liked Mat Svensson
    Ditto, certainly a lot better than Martin Pringle, imho.
  • Options

Mathias Svennson
    Linvoy Minus
    Lee "ten to the" Power

I liked Mat Svensson
    I liked Pringle to to be honest. I liked that instead of relying on just one quality goalscorer in the Prem Curbs would bring in five strikers who would always get you 5 or so goals over the course of the season. It meant that we were never prolific and we sat through some turgid performances up front, but we also didn't spaff away all our money on a striker who might not settle and we weren't up the creek if he hit bad form. Good old Curbs
  • Options
    cafckev said:

The top three are Big Carl Steve Mackenzie and Keith Jones. Both real love em or hate em type players. They are are all in my top ften players ever to play for us.

That's interesting - I don't think I ever heard anyone have a bad word to say about Jonah - I guess it must have depended on where you were in the ground. I know the one season I sat in the West I got so fucked off with all the miserable cunts around me that I lost my rag a couple of times - but that was well after Jones had gone.

Mackenzie definitely though. I was pretty young and can remember blokes almost fighting about him.
  • Options

Mathias Svennson
    Linvoy Minus
    Lee "ten to the" Power

I liked Mat Svensson
    I liked Pringle to to be honest. I liked that instead of relying on just one quality goalscorer in the Prem Curbs would bring in five strikers who would always get you 5 or so goals over the course of the season. It meant that we were never prolific and we sat through some turgid performances up front, but we also didn't spaff away all our money on a striker who might not settle and we weren't up the creek if he hit bad form. Good old Curbs
    I think part of my dislike for Pringle came from the fact the bloke who sat behind me seemed to think Pringle was the greatest player ever to wear a Charlton shirt.

Tbf, he had his moments, was a bit too in and out for my liking. Svennson was pretty limited (although much better than a lot of strikers I've seen toil away at the Valley) but was never left wanting for effort.

But those are the ones who've always divided fans. We can all get behind a talented grafter because... well.. their usually cracking players. Below that though I think you either value effort over skill or vice versa, so you will get people who dislike Ambrose of Sam for what they perceive as being lazy while others forgive the inconsistency for the occasional moment of skill that may have won us the points. On the flip side some will bemoan the absence of skill or flair in a player like Holland or, currently, Cousins while others think they're the bees knees because they do a lot of running covering the gaps players like Ambrose will sometimes leave.
  • Options

Luke Young used to divide opinion. Eh @Stone

Indeed. One of the most over-rated. A decent premier right back but no Maldini like some thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nothing will top Leaburn

You're right Dave but I know for a fact that Colin Walsh rated him highly which was a good enough endorsement for me and the appreciation I always showed towards the big fella.
  • Options
    Dale Stephens is a great shout from someone earlier. I thought he was class, others hated him.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I always thought Pringle had a decent partnership with Andy Hunt in the title-winning season. I may have remembered this wrong, but after Bolton knocked us out of the quarter-finals (was it?) of the FA Cup at their ground, we had the same fixture in the league a couple of weeks later, and, I seem to remember, Pringle setting up Hunt's goal and Hunt setting up Pringle's goal to beat them 2-0.
  • Options
    Amdy Faye.

Oh wait sorry I'm confusing divisive with unifying.
  • Options

Dale Stephens is a great shout from someone earlier. I thought he was class, others hated him.

Agreed. I thought he was dire
  • Options

Agreed, he was the best 'footballer' alongside Kermorgant in that squad.
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer - I loved him (and still do!) and my dad thought he was a "lazy waste of space" who had 1 great game then 5 stinkers.
    Karlan Ahearne- Grant - when I saw him live on tv verses Fulham I thought we had a real talent on our hands. He was making space, beating players and wanting the ball. Now though I'm not so sure, as although understandably low on confidence with how it's gone this season, the pace I saw seems to have gone and also the movement. Hopefully he will come good. Oh, and my dad thought he was sh*t from the start.
  • Options
    Surprised no mention of Andy Peake - the subject of much debate, at times quite heated - in the Sainsbury's End at Selhurst.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Nothing will top Leaburn

You're right Dave but I know for a fact that Colin Walsh rated him highly which was a good enough endorsement for me and the appreciation I always showed towards the big fella.

And at the time, Clive Mendonca said that Leaburn was the best forward he'd played alongside.

• Options
    Kelly Youga divided opinion .