Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamie Vardy Harry Kane Euro2016

Comments

• Options
    Sterling is still a great talent, people forget he's 21 I think. Ask people about Barkley this time last year and they weren't complimentary as they are now. Young players go through dips of form all the time but at his best I think of all recent youngsters, only Alli's season this year tops anything Sterling has done.

I think if we go for the team we started with against Germany (Hodgson will start with the 'safer' 4-3-3 I believe) then Sterling in for Lallana adds another dimension to our attack. His close control for an English youngster is second to none along with his pace/movement along with Welbeck/Alli could be frightening. He is way more intelligent than people give him credit for, for City he seems pretty patient (possible too much so for me) and willing to build up the play along with obviously his ability to go on the break with his pace.

Is his finishing poor? Yes, but as a 20 year old he very oddly had to play as a lone striker for Liverpool and was their top scorer.

#teamraheem
  • Options

Sterling is still a great talent, people forget he's 21 I think. Ask people about Barkley this time last year and they weren't complimentary as they are now. Young players go through dips of form all the time but at his best I think of all recent youngsters, only Alli's season this year tops anything Sterling has done.

I think if we go for the team we started with against Germany (Hodgson will start with the 'safer' 4-3-3 I believe) then Sterling in for Lallana adds another dimension to our attack. His close control for an English youngster is second to none along with his pace/movement along with Welbeck/Alli could be frightening. He is way more intelligent than people give him credit for, for City he seems pretty patient (possible too much so for me) and willing to build up the play along with obviously his ability to go on the break with his pace.

Is his finishing poor? Yes, but as a 20 year old he very oddly had to play as a lone striker for Liverpool and was their top scorer.

#teamraheem

Know what you mean, I just feel (and have done for a few years) that pace is the most over-rated thing in the sport
  • Options
    I don't disagree too much with that but I think Sterling has great balance/agility/acceleration rather than an all out blazing speed like a Walcott or someone which makes him more of a threat.
  • Options

I don't disagree too much with that but I think Sterling has great balance/agility/acceleration rather than an all out blazing speed like a Walcott or someone which makes him more of a threat.

Probably harsh of me to put Sterling in the same boat...

With him you do get a little bit more whereas with Walcott it is so clear that he has no Footballing brain!!
  • Options
    Much prefer Stirling than Walcott. He's definitely a threat when on form, he was exceptional against Kiev a couple of weeks ago. But, as with most wingers, he's very inconsistent.

Cant afford to take risks on such inconsistent players in a major tournament.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

he's been a great player for England over his career

I can think of three tournaments he's played in where I literally could not have done any worse than him.
    No you "literally" can't , unless you are player in the top division of a major European or south American league, Jim...
  • Options
    Rooney has fallen way short of expectations at major tournaments, to the point where no one has any faith in him to perform.

It might be in that environment that he thrives.
  • Options

Rooney has fallen way short of expectations at major tournaments, to the point where no one has any faith in him to perform.

It might be in that environment that he thrives.

Most lost faith in 2010 I would say. We have had two poor tournaments from him since then.
  • Options
    Sterling has suffered from not having a settled role at Man City. A year old Fabian Delph was an England regular, but thanks to injuries and hardly playing for Man City is well out of the picture
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Need some experience in the team and Rooney has that.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Whilst Rooney isn’t the player he was, he was still key in the qualifiers and would give us a set piece option and he has genuine quality. If he returns to full fitness, and it is an if, but if he does, he ought to be nice and fresh too. In terms of the three advanced players against Germany, I’d probably start with Vardy for Wellbeck and Rooney for Lallana. Rooney has more goals in him and Henderson has a lot of qualities but he doesn’t bring goals to the party and Lallana needs to score more - so I think it is important to bring goalscorers in where you can.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    Rooney, 5 goals in 6 games at Euro finals. Surprised me too...
  • Options

4 of those goals were in 2004.
  • Options
    He is still a better bet than Lallana to put the ball in the net - you just can't rely of a couple of players to do that!
  • Options

Do we live in a world where that year doesn't count then, SR? :wink:
  • Options

Whilst Rooney isn’t the player he was, he was still key in the qualifiers and would give us a set piece option and he has genuine quality. If he returns to full fitness, and it is an if, but if he does, he ought to be nice and fresh too. In terms of the three advanced players against Germany, I’d probably start with Vardy for Wellbeck and Rooney for Lallana. Rooney has more goals in him and Henderson has a lot of qualities but he doesn’t bring goals to the party and Lallana needs to score more - so I think it is important to bring goalscorers in where you can.

So 3 strikers upfront? You want us to go Karel Fraeye style in a major tournament.
  • Options

So 3 strikers upfront? You want us to go Karel Fraeye style in a major tournament.
    England have been playing a 4 3 3 for a while now...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not with 3 actual strikers though. Rooney did a job on the left when he was younger but he is way too slow for that to work now. Even though I think he is wasted a bit out wide I can somewhat see Vardy doing a job there but is Rooney on the left better than having Welbeck, Sterling or Lallana there? Almost certainly not, so he shouldn't be shoehorned in.
  • Options

Do we live in a world where that year doesn't count then, SR? :wink:
    Don't really fancy playing someone just because they scored a few goals 12 years ago.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    e.

He is still a better bet than Lallana to put the ball in the net - you just can't rely of a couple of players to do that!

Lallana has been pretty poor since going to Liverpool. I wouldn't have him in the side.
  • Options
    Rooney has the qulaity to play the Lallana role. I rate Lallana - did well for a goal today, but Rooney has more qulaity where it matters when you don't have that qulaity elsewhere.
  • Options
    On the ball he can but he can't do the running/movement/speed which we need to use
  • Options
    I think he can
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Kane & Walcott were dog shit tonight.
  • Options
    Just judging on the 20 minutes he had, you can't deny he was poor bar one moment 2 minutes after coming on.

He was out muscled, out paced and out battled.

Had that been one of our players for charlton he would be crucified lol.