Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamie Vardy Harry Kane Euro2016

Comments

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Just judging on the 20 minutes he had, you can't deny he was poor bar one moment 2 minutes after coming on.

He was out muscled, out paced and out battled.

Had that been one of our players for charlton he would be crucified lol.

Outmuscled? He won the ball back from two players at one point.

That's cos Charlton fans, like many England fans, love to go OTT at times when it comes to player performances. We are at our happiest when we are moaning.
    This is very true.
  • Options

Rooney has the qulaity to play the Lallana role. I rate Lallana - did well for a goal today, but Rooney has more qulaity where it matters when you don't have that qulaity elsewhere.

Not sure he does anymore.
  • Options
    He has been written off for years. He has qulaity and teh sort of qulaity that makes a difference at the highest level IMO. It is only my opinion, but I think it is also Hodgson's opinion too.
  • Options

He has qulaity and teh sort of qulaity that makes a difference at the highest level

When was the last time he produced a 'moment' in a big game, for club or country?

I'm struggling to think of anything since that overhead kick vs Man City and that was ages ago.

• Options
    Rooney is a very good player but just doesn't fit into the system. He'd have to play in the Barkley role which is a bit deep for him but think he could do some damage from there.
  • Options

He has been written off for years. He has qulaity and teh sort of qulaity that makes a difference at the highest level IMO. It is only my opinion, but I think it is also Hodgson's opinion too.

Ask a United season ticket holder who has watched him week in, wek out this season and I bet it wouldn't be their opinion.

He's going downhill very fast.
  • Options
    He was a key player for England in qualification!
  • Options
    In a soft group.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

He has qulaity and teh sort of qulaity that makes a difference at the highest level

When was the last time he produced a 'moment' in a big game, for club or country?

I'm struggling to think of anything since that overhead kick vs Man City and that was ages ago.

Blimey I thought my memory was bad, the run and cross for Wellbeck in Brazil 14 wasn't too shabby - queue the "But we lost so it didn't matter" whingers, and try Slovenia in June last year EA. Don't tell me - "we should have won that anyway...", "It was a soft group..." "That doesn't count as a big game"... Blah, blah fucking blah. Like Gary said, happiest when you are moaning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In a soft group.

you can only play against those put in front of you.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

JiMMy 85 said:

he's been a great player for England over his career

I can think of three tournaments he's played in where I literally could not have done any worse than him.
    No you "literally" can't , unless you are player in the top division of a major European or south American league, Jim...
    Patronise all you like Algarve, I meant literally in its most literal sense; during 2006 and 2010, there were times when Rooney couldn't control the ball. That's my point, he was so bad he might as well have been an amateur. That's not an exaggeration; he was awful.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I can think of three tournaments he's played in where I literally could not have done any worse than him.
    No you "literally" can't , unless you are player in the top division of a major European or south American league, Jim...
    Patronise all you like Algarve, I meant literally in its most literal sense; during 2006 and 2010, there were times when Rooney couldn't control the ball. That's my point, he was so bad he might as well have been an amateur. That's not an exaggeration; he was awful.
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Look up the word "literal" in the dictionary, then change the wording of your moan accordingly.
  • Options
    Rooney between 2006 and 2010 inclusive: 9 appearances, 0 goals, 0 assists. Tell me, how high in the pro leagues would you have to be to do worse than that?
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Look up the word "literal" in the dictionary, then change the wording of your moan accordingly.
    literally
    ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/Submit
    adverb
    in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout"
    synonyms: verbatim, word for word, line for line, letter for letter, to the letter; More
    informal
    used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

That make you feel any better?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Rooney between 2006 and 2010 inclusive: 9 appearances, 0 goals, 0 assists. Tell me, how high in the pro leagues would you have to be to do worse than that?

You're going back to a period that was between 6-10 years ago. In those ; years he won the league 3 times, champions league, PFA player of the year scoring 95 goals in the process
    He has 261 club goals of 558 games and 51 in 109 internationals. And countless assists. He also happens to me the captain of club and country.

Yes he has struggled at times in an England shirt - who hasn't?even the 'new bread' will have periods when it goes belly up.

Not bad for a player that couldn't control a ball.
  • Options

Top scorer with 7 goals which sounds decent enough but....................2 goals v San Marino (1 was a pen), a pen v Switzerland and a pen v Slovenia is hardly much to write home about.
  • Options
    In the world cup finals, he couldn't. I am not making that up - if I had footage to hand I would show it to you, although it's pretty crazy to me that it's been forgotten so easily.

I think Rooney is fine when he's playing once/ twice a week, but after the break at the end of the season, and the first game of a tournament, he loses his fitness. That's been down to injury before, and it's been down to getting himself banned. And it's also been down to him going on holiday to Las Vegas the week before a tournament. And then there's the distracted by a hooker story thing. It doesn't matter to me what he won in that time at club level, because he's scored twice in 17 finals appearances, and there's a reason for that; the man's fitness and sharpness are a major issue.

Some are saying there's an odd groundswell of anti-Rooney opinion that's cropped up lately that's ignoring how good a player he is but I think the opposite is true here; you're forgetting precisely how bad he has been, consistently, at tournament level.

I'd love to see the best of Wayne for us, but I think he's shown that it would be an exception, not the rule, if he were to do it this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Top scorer with 7 goals which sounds decent enough but....................2 goals v San Marino (1 was a pen), a pen v Switzerland and a pen v Slovenia is hardly much to write home about.
    Dont you see what you wrote...

An England player scored a penalty whilst playing for England and you dont think its hardly much to write about???
  • Options
    edited March 2016

You can only play against what your up against. 7 goals regardless of the opposition and nature of the goals is a good return. Couple of his goals were winning ones as well.

I get the debate about him, we will be able to judge him at the euros. If he scores a couple of goals and penaties against the mighty Wales or Slovakia - and we win I'm not sure we won't hear too many negative comments.

• Options
    I'm not a Rooney apologist but he has played in some very limited, one paced England sides. If he is given more time and space because opponents are forced to play deeper and mark other players he could come good. If nothing else it's a positive that we won't be building a team around Wayne this summer and if he fails we have serious alternatives for once
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Really not worried about Wales now even if they have Ramsey in their squad... Bale being injured will see them flop, even if he goes then we just need to get someone like Eric Dier to mark him out of the game.

Wales and Belgium are two perfect reasons why the FIFA Rankings should be ignored...

Both are about 5/10 places above where they should be
  • Options

I'm not a Rooney apologist but he has played in some very limited, one paced England sides. If he is given more time and space because opponents are forced to play deeper and mark other players he could come good. If nothing else it's a positive that we won't be building a team around Wayne this summer and if he fails we have serious alternatives for once

I think that's been a big issue in the past - building a team around him. He'll certainly be a starter. Yes he has been a let down at tournaments, but he has that experience of having played in so many - that could be invaluable to the likes of Kane and Alli.

• Options
    It does seem that many strikers decline faster than players in other positions on the pitch, not helped if they play a lot of games in their teens. Owen and Torres spring to mind, but even the likes of Raul and David Villa were far less effective in their 30s.

Rooney is coming up to 600 games, that's bound to take a toll eventually.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

In the world cup finals, he couldn't. I am not making that up - if I had footage to hand I would show it to you, although it's pretty crazy to me that it's been forgotten so easily.

I think Rooney is fine when he's playing once/ twice a week, but after the break at the end of the season, and the first game of a tournament, he loses his fitness. That's been down to injury before, and it's been down to getting himself banned. And it's also been down to him going on holiday to Las Vegas the week before a tournament. And then there's the distracted by a hooker story thing. It doesn't matter to me what he won in that time at club level, because he's scored twice in 17 finals appearances, and there's a reason for that; the man's fitness and sharpness are a major issue.

Some are saying there's an odd groundswell of anti-Rooney opinion that's cropped up lately that's ignoring how good a player he is but I think the opposite is true here; you're forgetting precisely how bad he has been, consistently, at tournament level.

I'd love to see the best of Wayne for us, but I think he's shown that it would be an exception, not the rule, if he were to do it this year.

you have completely summed up my opinion on the matter of Rooney. And I think you have for many who also have their doubts on his impact at tournament level especially as his joing this one in similar circumstances as previous disappointing outings for our country.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

literally
    ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/Submit
    adverb
    synonyms: verbatim, word for word, line for line, letter for letter, to the letter; More
    informal

Remind me who is condescending? Okay you win, Rooney is shit.
  • Options

Really not worried about Wales now even if they have Ramsey in their squad... Bale being injured will see them flop, even if he goes then we just need to get someone like Eric Dier to mark him out of the game.

Wales and Belgium are two perfect reasons why the FIFA Rankings should be ignored...

Both are about 5/10 places above where they should be

Are you telling me that Austria aren't the 10th best international football team? (:
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

literally
    ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/Submit
    adverb
    informal

Remind me who is condescending? Okay you win, Rooney is shit.
    There are some arguments that are just not worth having.