Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Q - Anyone going for it?

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-q/overview/

I am yet to confirm but it might "save" me something like £1.50 per month *

Ordering later though. Their site keep crashing due to demand

*Though I do need to pay something like £200 for a box and an additional one

Comments

• Options
    Because it can work over long distances, they should call it the Sky Far Q
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

How do you make a saving out of it?
  • Options
    So besides it being fully wifi....... and being smaller, what viewing benefits does it feature.
    It claims to be 'fluid viewing' does that mean in a thunderstorm as we had on Monday that the picture is not lost. ?
    Not sure that they can promise that. In any case most of my apple mac equipment is as apple describe 'vintage' ( that means over three years old). If it is an improved viewing experience might be interested, but seeing that BBC London TV is still not HD, not really convinced!
  • Options

So besides it being fully wifi....... and being smaller, what viewing benefits does it feature.
    It claims to be 'fluid viewing' does that mean in a thunderstorm as we had on Monday that the picture is not lost. ?
    Not sure that they can promise that. In any case most of my apple mac equipment is as apple describe 'vintage' ( that means over three years old). If it is an improved viewing experience might be interested, but seeing that BBC London TV is still not HD, not really convinced!

After ten minutes on the Sky website I gave up but it looks like a multi-room offering for those of us that don't have, or want, cables coming from the dish and it also looks like you can have one central planner, opposed to one in each separate multi-room. It also might, eventually, remove the need for a dish at all and it might become 100% streamed like BT's offering. That would reduce their overheads ad they would, potentially, no longer need satellites.
  • Options
    You can also record more channels simultaneously.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

How do you make a saving out of it?
    If, like me, you have multiroom, HD, Sky Go, Sports and Movies, then it can actually save you a little bit apparently. A whole £1.50 every single month.

I've no idea what I will do with the additional £1.50 each month - I may invest in some magic beans or maybe Herbalife. I'm keeping my options open

Aha, right cheers, might be worth it for me. I've not had multi room long so suspect I'm stuck with it for a bit. Think the hardware cost will drop off in a few months.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    12 tuners apparently in the one box. This then streams to a further 4 mini boxes apparently.

And you can pause in one room, go into the next and press play and resume.

And stream to iPads, phones and other smart TV's so avoiding the need for Sky GO subscription

And it has a touch sensitive new controller
  • Options
    Surely the only time to buy this is when the price drops and they start broadcasting in 4K?
  • Options
    I was sold on it until I saw the bit about its only available to Sky Broadband users only.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Swisdom said:

12 tuners apparently in the one box. This then streams to a further 4 mini boxes apparently.

And you can pause in one room, go into the next and press play and resume.

And stream to iPads, phones and other smart TV's so avoiding the need for Sky GO subscription

And it has a touch sensitive new controller

Yep I can see the advantages of that, and the lack of 'cabeling' will be a cleaner installation, I migrated to sky in October all my tv and broadband at a very competative rate, and although 'Outreach' still maintain part of this it has been both quicker and has been very reliable. Probably will wait as my TV will need changing in the near future, but is fine for my needs. I can live without the added features in the meantime.
  • Options
    I just read this:

Here's the legal bit

Sky Q: now available to Sky Broadband customers; coming soon to customers with broadband from other providers. Register your interest for more information.
  • Options
    4K is coming later in the year
  • Options
    4k is pointless, there is next to no content, and outside sports, there will be little to no content for a long time yet. Much like 3d, it's a gimmick to try and sell more TVs. Unlike 3d I think it will eventually take off, but not whilst there is such a lack of available content. There's also the fact that Hollywood like physical formats, and you can't fit a 4k movie on any disc that current players can view.
  • Options
    quick question for those that've looked into it: does it rely on internet/wifi to link the boxes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes I think so
  • Options

4k is pointless, there is next to no content, and outside sports, there will be little to no content for a long time yet. Much like 3d, it's a gimmick to try and sell more TVs. Unlike 3d I think it will eventually take off, but not whilst there is such a lack of available content. There's also the fact that Hollywood like physical formats, and you can't fit a 4k movie on any disc that current players can view.

Thats why therr are 4k blu ray players coming soon. If 4k is a gimmick so is 1080p which it clearly isn't..
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Don't care - I am a rascal for gimmicky stuff and can't bear to think about missing out :smiley:

• Options
    Will defo be signing up for Q once it is rolled out to other broadband providers.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

Thats why therr are 4k blu ray players coming soon. If 4k is a gimmick so is 1080p which it clearly isn't..
    he said it will eventually take off, unlike 3d, but atm not a lot of content that's 4k, mostly because most high end stuff is filmed 4k/2.5k and then compressed to HD for delivery. When we get to the point when 5k/6k cameras are more popular then that's when 4k will start to take off.
  • Options

After ten minutes on the Sky website I gave up
    The people who designed that site are doing me out of a job by doing that to all the Sky websites. They say it's about a better experience for users! Clearly it's about the latest football deal.

The SkyQ box is wicked. I really like it. I've been to a few demos and liked what I've seen. They've spent a lot of time and money getting it right, and I think they've succeeded. I can't comment on value, but I'm really looking forward to getting one installed.
  • Options
    I can't get on the bloody website
  • Options
    Bump.

Has anyone taken the plunge with this? I noticed they are now offering it to those without Sky Broadband and am very tempted.
  • Options
    I've got it. Works brilliantly in the lounge and bedroom (directly above the lounge). Very slick, much easier to use and find stuff to watch.

The controller buttons need a bit more thought IMO. Biggest drawback is not being able to type in the minute you want to start at and, and this is crucial for football, when you go to your planner to start watching from the beginning, it will automatically jump you to the current 'live' minute of the program unless you remember to hit "Watch from start".

The mini-box in the spare room downstairs and on the other side of the (fairly small) house, however, is useless. I've had the engineers out twice and still it drops out. Apparently I need a booster, but I don't know why they didn't just give me that in the first place.

It's definitely got teething issues, but it's a huge improvement.
  • Options

Bump.

Has anyone taken the plunge with this? I noticed they are now offering it to those without Sky Broadband and am very tempted.

Would you need fibre to run this?
    I remember Sky's basic free broadband being pants. Doubt it would be good enough to run this set up.