Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Q - Anyone going for it?

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I needed a special signal booster in the end, but I tend to have problems if the XBox is on at the same time (which was a bugger as I had Sky running though the XB). Ultimately other items can interfere.

Yes, going to phone them back tomorrow and request a booster. Have had a read and switched off "eco mode" as that seems to cause issues.

Also did a complete reactivate on both mini boxes.
    Will see how that goes.
  • Options
    It's ok, hardly revolutionary. If you don't have Sky broadband they disable the mini boxes from acting as wireless hotspots which seems short-sighted. The software isn't an improvement - the remote is very touch sensitive and invariably sends you skiteing through the menu. Access to your Planner onbthe miniboxes is the best function....
  • Options
    Getting this friday
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

My downstairs box only works 50% of the time. It would appear me sitting near it causes it to fail the connection.

Ha. It sounds like radio in the 1980's, when I had to hang out the bathroom window to get Charlton Live reception on a Sunday evening.
    You'd have found it would have worked better if you'd hung the radio out the window rather than yourself.....
  • Options
    Silly question I suspect but here goes:-

I have 3 x Sky multi room in my house and I think the Sky Q option is probably slightly cheaper than multi room - so maybe a no brainer.

However, I have BT Broadband and don't want to lose that because of the speed & reliability (I work from home a lot).

My question is - can I have Sky Q but still select my BT Broadband for my Internet and Broadband (and ignore Sky Q for that option?).
  • Options

I have 3 x Sky multi room in my house and I think the Sky Q option is probably slightly cheaper than multi room - so maybe a no brainer.

However, I have BT Broadband and don't want to lose that because of the speed & reliability (I work from home a lot).

My question is - can I have Sky Q but still select my BT Broadband for my Internet and Broadband (and ignore Sky Q for that option?).

Yes you can. Sky Q was originally only available to Sky broadband users but they opened this up to other providers a while back.

I have Sky Q with Virgin fibre and it works fine (for me at least).
  • Options

The only disadvantage with not having Sky broadband is that the mini boxes don't act as broadband hotspots. Real shame as Sky just re-badge BT broadband.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I needed a special signal booster in the end, but I tend to have problems if the XBox is on at the same time (which was a bugger as I had Sky running though the XB). Ultimately other items can interfere.

Yes, going to phone them back tomorrow and request a booster. Have had a read and switched off "eco mode" as that seems to cause issues.

Also did a complete reactivate on both mini boxes.
    Will see how that goes.
    So the reactivate on the mini-boxes seems to have worked. Haven't had a drop out since I did it.

Phoned BT at the same time and complained that my old Hub 3 router wasn't up to the job any more and they agreed to send me their new Smart Hub F.O.C. Supposed to be the most powerful home hub on the market and good for a 3 storey townhouse.

Also finally worked out why the picture on the new TV we bought for the bedroom wasn't as good as the living room and my daughters room. Engineer had left the broadcast type on 1080i. Switched it to 1080p and saw a big improvement.
  • Options

The only disadvantage with not having Sky broadband is that the mini boxes don't act as broadband hotspots. Real shame as Sky just re-badge BT broadband.
    Ah sh*t, is that really the case that the mini boxes dont act as hotspots with other broadband?
    That's a proper killer for me.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Ah sh*t, is that really the case that the mini boxes dont act as hotspots with other broadband?
    That's a proper killer for me.
    If I am honest I find the signal weaker than before I upgraded to Sky Fibre.

On the top floor (kids bedrooms) I can get a signal but it's not as strong as it was before I had a boosted signal with Sky Q so I wouldn't necessarily rule it out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My hotspots are shit. They drop signal all the time, I find myself reloading a failed webpage three or four times if I am not in the room with the main box. I'm strongly considering giving up the hotspots to get BT and thus BT Sport. Even though I hate BT after past experiences.
  • Options
    Ok, thats good to know, cheers chaps.

Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to get Sky down in my man cave, 150 ft down the other end of the garden. I've got two armour-plated ethernet cables running the length of the garden as the wifi is not existent and was planning to plug one of the mini boxes into one ethernet cable and then use it as a hotspot to get wifi down there. By the looks of it, I'm going to need a splitter and a separate hotspot down there now. PITA.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    What is sky fibre like? I've found a good deal with Sky TV so contemplating going back to them.I remember their broadband,be it the basic one,was atrocious when I left. I'd like to stay with virgin for the broadband but the price is astronomical for existing customers. Is sky fibre much better than their broadband unlimited?(which is free and I'm guessing still shit)

I could look at BT I suppose but it sounds like hassle arranging new tv from one provider and phone and broadband from another at the same time?
  • Options
    We had almost no hassle, just make sure you make your existing provider aware that you're switching as the BT providers don't do it for you.
  • Options

What is sky fibre like? I've found a good deal with Sky TV so contemplating going back to them.I remember their broadband,be it the basic one,was atrocious when I left. I'd like to stay with virgin for the broadband but the price is astronomical for existing customers. Is sky fibre much better than their broadband unlimited?(which is free and I'm guessing still shit)

I could look at BT I suppose but it sounds like hassle arranging new tv from one provider and phone and broadband from another at the same time?

Sky Fibre is BT Superfast Broadband in all but name as BT (Openreach) provide it. probably makes sense to bundle your needs as you say. As a Virgan Broadband user, I can't see myself ever leaving - speed is the need.
  • Options

Had Sky Fibre for over a year now. Haven't had a single problem with it in that time.
  • Options
    Went for the full bifta.
    Sky have F***** up.

I got everything. Full TV ,anytime calls and broadband fibre unlimited for £55 per month.

I did it all on the online chat as the call centre was busy.

Checked my account and the calls and b/band are not on there

They are now saying they have no record of the call and b/band deal I negotiated.

Lucky I saved the transcript eh!

Anyone know where I stand on this?
  • Options
    I might be able to help, if you PM me all the detail you can I can have a word with customer services.
  • Options
    Does anyone on here have any friends and family codes for Sky Q?

I still cant get by head around the idea that I have to pay £99 per box for Sky Q (that would be 1 x 2tb and 2 x mini boxes = £297) where as new customers pay £159. Its outrageous how they get away with stitching up existing customers.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I still cant get by head around the idea that I have to pay £99 per box for Sky Q (that would be 1 x 2tb and 2 x mini boxes = £297) where as new customers pay £159. Its outrageous how they get away with stitching up existing customers.

You need to get over the idea they're stitching you up, and instead play the game better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I recently upgraded to sky q 1 2tb box and 1 mini box and had to pay only the 60 pound set up fee no fees for box and only pay the extra 12 a month?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

You need to get over the idea they're stitching you up, and instead play the game better.
    I've played the game all right but there's only so many times you can phone up and say whats your best deal, how much can you knock off. Our bill was something like £120pm (for box sets, Sky sports and fibre) which was discounted down from £130ish. And that didn't include the £32.99pm I was paying BT for BT Sport. I think, in the end, they got it down to £95pm for 10 months and then it went back up to full price for 2 months.

To switch to Sky Q, they wanted £297 for 3 boxes. The day before, the fella sitting behind me at work got 3 Sky Q boxes for £30 each, £90 in total. The day after, they wanted £297. So that alone, to me, is a stitch up.

I've cancelled Sky Sports and BT Sports (replaced with Sports Mania on Kodi) and got our bill down to £62 now on a rolling one-month contract with 30 days notice. Will only get Sky Q when they want sensible money for it or there is a decent deal.

We was told that the Sky/BT PL breakup would benefit consumers. I disagree.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I might be able to help, if you PM me all the detail you can I can have a word with customer services.

All sorted now thanks Jim.

The power of' remembering to save an online chat transcript.'
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

I've played the game all right but there's only so many times you can phone up and say whats your best deal, how much can you knock off. Our bill was something like £120pm (for box sets, Sky sports and fibre) which was discounted down from £130ish. And that didn't include the £32.99pm I was paying BT for BT Sport. I think, in the end, they got it down to £95pm for 10 months and then it went back up to full price for 2 months.

To switch to Sky Q, they wanted £297 for 3 boxes. The day before, the fella sitting behind me at work got 3 Sky Q boxes for £30 each, £90 in total. The day after, they wanted £297. So that alone, to me, is a stitch up.

I've cancelled Sky Sports and BT Sports (replaced with Sports Mania on Kodi) and got our bill down to £62 now on a rolling one-month contract with 30 days notice. Will only get Sky Q when they want sensible money for it or there is a decent deal.

The very best way to save money is to cancel completely, start up a new account in your partner's name, and get a 12 months deal. Repeat that every year. A friend of mine does it (I get friends and family offers) and even though it means being without Sky for a few days a year, he saves a lot of cash.

As for BT, it is crazy that the Competition Commission were busting Sky's balls, and when they insisted a competitor get one of the packages, it doubled the cost for most people. Although if you get BT broadband you'll save some money.

• Options
    Currently trying to move to a house without Sky and upgrade to Q, at present they are saying that their engineers are so busy I will have to go a month without Sky. So far I have managed to escalate this to the Operations Manager who says he is trying to get an improved engineer's date. I have threatened to go to BT.
    I would have thought that Sky would have a special proceedure for people moving rather than just upgrading. They have offered me free Now TV for the intervening period but I have no experience of Now.

Any suggestions?
  • Options

I will have to go a month without Sky.

The world we live in eh.

I suspect the famine enraged,less fortunate countries of the world would be choking on their butter beans if they heard such a statement.
  • Options
    We've got it, and to be honest, I didn't get involved in the ordering part. Dec had spent ages on the live chat asking questions and organising a deal and had taken screen shots of loads of it. he then tried to do it and it wouldn't work online and kept on coming up with an error. I was present when Dec rang up the next day when the lines were open and he quoted the online deal they told him that offer had expired the day before - I could sense his blood pressure rising. He then managed to get through to the guy to agree that deal once he spoke to his supervisor and gone through his logs online with the live chat people, and was going through with the order, and then he got cut off so had to ring back explain the whole story again to someone else. The new bloke eventually said he'd honour the deal.

I think it cost about £175 in the end to install and new box/dish. I have no idea what we pay monthly. He's 'Head of TV' in our household. They did keep banging on about how you can now download sky programmes to watch on the move which I was excited about for the train, and watching more channels in other rooms, but when the engineer arrived the folowing week, it turns out, it's not compatable with a kindle fire HD and you have to buy another box for another room.

It's a very snazzy new operating system, the remote takes some getting used to as it's so sensitive and it's weird not having stuff saved in the same way or a quick button to get into your planner. i love the fwd and rwd buttons though. Also like the section when you're midway through something. would be good if you did have it in another room. Ultra HD is also amazing. football in SD and even HD looks like non-league pitch in comparison.
  • Options
    oh and something else to bear in mind, if you want UHD, you need the 2tb box. The Q miniboxes only chuck out 1080p so no 4k output at all on them which is very disappointing.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

The only way things are going to get better at this point is if sports rights are taken away from Sky/BT etc and replaced with a monthly streaming subscription direct through the Premier League.
  • Options

It's a very snazzy new operating system, the remote takes some getting used to as it's so sensitive and it's weird not having stuff saved in the same way or a quick button to get into your planner.

Hi Suzi,

If you press the Sky button at the top of your remote it jumps straight to your planner (recordings).
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by planner!

Cheers